Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: MK5 Aftermarket Fog Light Wiring

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Jetta WBE
      05-06-2011 06:21 PM #1
      Hi all, I have a 2007 VW Jetta WBE and I wanted to add fog lights to it.

I recently bought an after-market fog lamp kit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0552&viewitem=

I also bought an OEM head light switch that has a fog light option on it. Obviously VW won't touch after-market parts, so I had one of my buddies hook me up with a guy at the dealership he sells cars for. He's having some issues and by the way he's describing it, I'm 100% confused. I was just hoping someone on here has had some expirience specifically with this kit or if someone knows off the top of their head exactly how to hook this up. I believe he is missing a wire, or he simply can't find a wire within the car.

He said a wiring diagram would help out a lot but unforunately, Google isn't helping me out. So if someone could provide that would also be very helpful. Thanks!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 GLI 6sp; 2009 Jetta 2.5 5sp; 1997 Jetta 2.0 5sp
      05-06-2011 09:46 PM #2
      A wiring diagram isn't going to help you. The only Jettas that came stock with fog lights were the GLIs; the lights were wired through the Central Electronics Control Module (the main computer). Trouble is, the CECM had to be the "highline" type used in the GLI -- while you almost certainly only have the midline CECM that won't control the fog lights.

So what you need to do is wire the fog lights up the "old fashioned way"... through an add-on relay. That's what I did with my wife's Jetta.

Works fine, but you either need to make your own wiring harness, or get one from a vendor like ECS Tuning. Available here, depending on what kind of bulbs you've got:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...g/Fogs/Wiring/