Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: parts are all ordered .. might as well start one of these trendy build threads!

Vehicles
      2004 VW .:R32
      01-04-2012 04:03 PM #351
      Quote Originally Posted by JDM-JTI View Post
      im talking about removing the extra gasket .. id prefer the car to be run on 1 split gasket rather than 2 ..
      Tranny still doesn't need to be touched to go back from 2 gaskets to 1 split. It's not that much work when you factor in the piece of mind.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      01-04-2012 04:05 PM #352
      once again .. you have no idea what you are talking about nor do you have any idea who is working on my car
      I don't really care who is working on your car, as long as they aren't working on mine.

Vehicles
      10 JSW SE, 04.:R
      01-04-2012 04:07 PM #353
      Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican_tuner View Post

This is the guide that needs to be modded.

See the height difference on the surface. You grind that down to make it flat.

I will tell you the same like I have told every one over the years... Walk the beaten path. Walk the most tried and true tested path sacrificing a little originality if thats how you want to look at it.

Most that go big, go home.
      The ones that make it make the same power as the off the shelf turbo kit

Turbo kits take days to install not months / years.

Get this car back on the road
      Give Tom a break. He is very skilled and could have easily accomplished this build in a couple weeks if it weren't for the multitude of unexpected problems that arose along the way. I am fully confident that Mitchs car will be sorted out soon enough and running strong on the road! So go ez and be ez on others!

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      01-04-2012 04:08 PM #354
      trans stays in for head gasket replacement.

Vehicles
      mk4 r32t /mk6 dsg golf tdi
      01-04-2012 04:12 PM #355
      Tranny still doesn't need to be touched to go back from 2 gaskets to 1 split. It's not that much work when you factor in the piece of mind.
      I dont know why im picturing the tranny having to come off in order to remove the chain oh well .. so you're saying the best idea would be to swap from 2 gaskets to 1 and machine down the guide for best fitment?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatVdub View Post
      I don't really care who is working on your car, as long as they aren't working on mine.
      thats cool .. you can stay outta my thread now .. you have been a member for a year and a half and average 6 posts per day of absolute useless information .. so please stop cluttering it in here

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 04:15 PM #356
      Quote Originally Posted by jerd View Post
      Give Tom a break. He is very skilled and could have easily accomplished this build in a couple weeks if it weren't for the multitude of unexpected problems that arose along the way. I am fully confident that Mitchs car will be sorted out soon enough and running strong on the road! So go ez and be ez on others!
      hi jeremy .. sorry i didnt get back to you on the cams .. I WASSSS thinking about it .. but ill save them for when i get used to the current power it puts out

Vehicles
      Euro 2001 MKIV 2.8 V6 4motion (5 door) - HGP Turbo
      01-04-2012 04:15 PM #357
      I will tell you the same like I have told every one over the years... Walk the beaten path. Walk the most tried and true tested path sacrificing a little originality if thats how you want to look at it.

Most that go big, go home.
      The ones that make it make the same power as the off the shelf turbo kit.

Turbo kits take days to install not months / years.

Get this car back on the road
      Im not going to direct this at the OP since his bay is pretty custom and he has had a hard enough time as it is, however that Quote should sure as hell go in a Sig or maybe even be Stickied somewhere for future generations of modders!

I took exactly that advice and my car came out of the shop, I put gas in it, drove it 800km home, and have been driving and enjoying it ever since

OP, I was going to mention why not just take the head back of and redo the whole thing, if only to have peace of mind down the road, but I thought that might be the last thing you wanted to hear after your long wait...
      HGP-T 450PS, Unibrace, 225/40/18 AD08s, OZ Ultraleggera, Light BBK F&R, Recaro Interior, .:R extras, MFD Navi, Phatbox, JCaps, Neuspeed, PSS9s, H2Sport Stage 3, DLI-Teknik, GC links, bHPP, etc...

Vehicles
      04 DBP VW R32T, 91 Honda Accord (Beater)
      01-04-2012 04:17 PM #358
      Quote Originally Posted by newcreation View Post
      There isnt much room for the spacer and split gasket to begin with very tight fit. adding the extra to it not sure how it would affect it. But in the past on all vr's i have split the gaskets

Also we would need to know what head spacer you are using because there are 9.1 which is the most common for the R and is tight fit

But there is 8.5:1 which means the spacer is a bit thicker and even tighter fit

and hpa also has a 7.1 spacer which then uses a custom chain guide

My kit has a 8.5:1 and I had to use a custom chain guide made by HPA, and my timing was tricky as well. When I blew my head gasket and I replaced it I had problems with the timing, I sweared that we did it on point, but we didn't, had to take it to KMD tuning (HPA dealer) and had them do it. They said HPA has a "special" way on doing they timing on that kit....
      JDS Motoring | CCW | Linden VW/HPA MotorSports | LosGoonies.com

It's not just a passion, it's a life style!

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 04:23 PM #359
      Quote Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
      Im not going to direct this at the OP since his bay is pretty custom and he has had a hard enough time as it is, however that Quote should sure as hell go in a Sig or maybe even be Stickied somewhere for future generations of modders!

I took exactly that advice and my car came out of the shop, I put gas in it, drove it 800km home, and have been driving and enjoying it ever since

OP, I was going to mention why not just take the head back of and redo the whole thing, if only to have peace of mind down the road, but I thought that might be the last thing you wanted to hear after your long wait...
      this wasnt a "kit" by any means .. so nothing fit .. at all really .. and thats my fault for trying to make it work .. between trying to make a 24v downpipe fit on a r32 exhaust manifold with a S cover turbine housing to custom charge piping .. to trying something new out on the transmission casing that didnt quite work out .. not to mention using 2.5" charge piping off the turbo .. 80% of "kits" use 2 inch piping to insure fitment .. but my turbo housing was 2.5 so we went with 2.5 .. everything fits .. its just all super tight and its a pretty amazing setup

compare my bay next to a bolt on c2 or kinetics kit .. there is a world of difference .. not to mention tom did a stellar job on the wiring .. everything is SUPER clean and everything unnecessary is deleted in the proper fashion.

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 04:24 PM #360
      Quote Originally Posted by gmoneyR32 View Post
      My kit has a 8.5:1 and I had to use a custom chain guide made by HPA, and my timing was tricky as well. When I blew my head gasket and I replaced it I had problems with the timing, I sweared that we did it on point, but we didn't, had to take it to KMD tuning (HPA dealer) and had them do it. They said HPA has a "special" way on doing they timing on that kit....
      sons of bitches .. i hate how people keep secrets like that .. it should be out in the general knowledge

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 04:28 PM #361
      I dont know why im picturing the tranny having to come off in order to remove the chain oh well .. so you're saying the best idea would be to swap from 2 gaskets to 1 and machine down the guide for best fitment?

Correct that is my recommendation based on a setup that I personally installed and ran for tens of thousands of miles.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      01-04-2012 04:28 PM #362
      you have been a member for a year and a half and average 6 posts per day of absolute useless information .. so please stop cluttering it in here
      really moron? only a year and a half, AND useless info?
      i have been here since 2004 and had my R32 FI'd just about 5 yrs ago.

i am probably one of most contributing members here.
      head gasket and tranny, right, makes me know ur level of knowledge, so stfu!

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 04:29 PM #363
      Correct that is my recommendation based on a setup that I personally installed and ran for tens of thousands of miles.
      and it can be smoothed down all the way so there is no height difference? or does there have to be a slight difference in height?

Vehicles
      04 DBP VW R32T, 91 Honda Accord (Beater)
      01-04-2012 04:29 PM #364
      sons of bitches .. i hate how people keep secrets like that .. it should be out in the general knowledge
      Yeah tell me about it, I had to ditch out $1,200 for them to do the timing, car was running fine but kept getting these codes....

Sunday,03,April,2011,23:06:22:12060
      VCDS Version: Release 10.6.3
      Data version: 20101206

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine Labels: None
      Control Module Part Number: HGP Turbonac HW: 14. 4.0 3
      Component and/or Version: hruestung GMBH G b121
      Software Coding: 0000132
      Work Shop Code: WSC 13621 156 402982
      VCID: 1D3A4830BD37
      2 Faults Found:

17748 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incor. Correlation
      P1340 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON
      17755 - Camshaft Position Sensor 2 (G163) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incor. Correl.
      P1347 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON

after they did the timing everything was fine....ahhh gotta love turbos...
      JDS Motoring | CCW | Linden VW/HPA MotorSports | LosGoonies.com

It's not just a passion, it's a life style!

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 04:34 PM #365
      hi jeremy .. sorry i didnt get back to you on the cams .. I WASSSS thinking about it .. but ill save them for when i get used to the current power it puts out
      No worries! Cams all day everyday! Gl with ur setup! I'm staying N/A!

Vehicles
      Golf R
      01-04-2012 04:37 PM #366
      OP, here is my head spacer install and no tran's removal.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3166457

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 04:40 PM #367
      Quote Originally Posted by jerd View Post
      No worries! Cams all day everyday! Gl with ur setup! I'm staying N/A!
      yeah i cant bring myself to dropping that coin on the schricks at the moment .. whats the difference between them and the techtonics .. schricks putting out more power at top end vs techtonics more midrange? I sent you a request on facebook .. I upload more photos on there than I do on here ..

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 04:41 PM #368
      The info I have shared here is specific to the 9.0 : 1 spacer setup C2 sold in the past.

As far as the HPAs kits, in the past they used two mechanisms to relieve tension.

One is the machined guide and two is the oil feed line / banjo fitting that they use on the main tension bolt.

The simple presence of that fitting takes up a few threads and lowers tension on the chain.

Don't get distracted though. You are using 9.0: 1 head spacer and your oil feed comes off the top of the oil filter housing right?
      Last edited by Jamaican_tuner; 01-04-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Vehicles
      Euro 2001 MKIV 2.8 V6 4motion (5 door) - HGP Turbo
      01-04-2012 04:42 PM #369
      this wasnt a "kit" by any means .. so nothing fit .. at all really...

...compare my bay next to a bolt on c2 or kinetics kit .. there is a world of difference...
      Agreed on both counts, and noted in my previous posts.

Well, its not exactly a huge secret (in general), however, thats one of the benefits you get (or should get!) when going with a proven kit. I dont think a company should have to share all those little things - thats one big advantage why to buy a kit because (hopefully) someone has figured it all out beforehand

Like you said, yours wasnt a kit at all, so, in some areas you were running blind...

Thats how it is when you want something different.
      Last edited by jmh2002; 01-04-2012 at 04:47 PM.
      HGP-T 450PS, Unibrace, 225/40/18 AD08s, OZ Ultraleggera, Light BBK F&R, Recaro Interior, .:R extras, MFD Navi, Phatbox, JCaps, Neuspeed, PSS9s, H2Sport Stage 3, DLI-Teknik, GC links, bHPP, etc...

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      01-04-2012 04:52 PM #370
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatVdub View Post
      OP, here is my head spacer install and no tran's removal.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3166457
      I thought he was just talking about the head gasket as well. I believe he is talking about replacing the chain though. You need to remove the lower timing chain cover to get it out I believe which would require removing the trans right?

Vehicles
      Golf R
      01-04-2012 04:57 PM #371
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      I thought he was just talking about the head gasket as well. I believe he is talking about replacing the chain though. You need to remove the lower timing chain cover to get it out I believe which would require removing the trans right?
      Yes, if you want to remove the chains entirely, of course. You don't have to remove the chains completely for a head gasket or guide shaving. Shoot, even a link addition...

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 04:57 PM #372
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      yes .. we have the old chain on .. we couldnt get the new chain on due to it being that tight

in my perfect world .. i would like my new chain on .. 1 head gasket split in half .. and a modified guide if necessary .. removing the chain without breaking it would mean trans has to come out .. correct?

let me explain that a little further .. I bought a new chain .. new chain wouldnt fit .. so we put the old chain on which was worn out and fit .. but just barely
      Last edited by JDM-JTI; 01-04-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      01-04-2012 04:59 PM #373
      removing the chain without breaking it would mean trans has to come out .. correct?
      Correct, but you want to break it, by adding a link, no?

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 05:03 PM #374
      I dont want to .. like i said in my perfect world .. with the single gasket and a modded guide .. which is documented to work .. a factory chain SHOULD fit .. but with 2 gaskets

i dont know how he plans on doing this .. i assume .. break the chain while its still connected but taken off the gears .. break the new chain .. add a link .. run the chain through the gears til it loops back up .. then press them together? but how the heck is he going to press together a chain while its connected to the motor .. if hes going to make the chain longer by adding the link outside of the car and then completing the chain so its all connected .. then isnt he going to have to remove the trans anyways? I imagine pressing a chain together would need a machine press .. or is there some sort of handheld tool that can securely press it secure?

all i know is he says he can do it .. and has done it before .. not on a boosted R but on VR chains several times .. so lets sit back and see how this pans out

and just a tidbit here .. I dont do the work on my motor .. all work is done by tom .. am i capable of doing most of this stuff? probably .. but i dont own 1/500th of the tools that tom has .. i just do all the polishing and tedious things .. I work 50 hours a week behind a computer so I dont have time to do this kinda stuff
      Last edited by JDM-JTI; 01-04-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 05:23 PM #375
      yeah i cant bring myself to dropping that coin on the schricks at the moment .. whats the difference between them and the techtonics .. schricks putting out more power at top end vs techtonics more midrange? I sent you a request on facebook .. I upload more photos on there than I do on here ..
      Schricks = German greatness with a more aggressive profile! Tt are worth the money despite losing 8hp to Schricks! Power comes on real hard around 4k and lights up every gear till redline!

Vehicles
      04 R32T
      01-04-2012 05:27 PM #376
      Mitch hope you get it sorted out any questions just ask. Let me know what route you go. Something has to work for you
      -JAMES-
      DRIVEN/Built /UM Turbo R - VR NATION

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 05:30 PM #377
      Mitch hope you get it sorted out any questions just ask. Let me know what route you go. Something has to work for you
      thanks James .. I hope I don't come off sounded like a "noob" when i post all these questions .. id prefer to just have people who have first hand experienced it and have gone through it themselves to shoot out answers and plausible ideas so that i dont completely **** up here

ive got A LOT of money into this thing

Vehicles
      04 R32T
      01-04-2012 05:33 PM #378
      thanks James .. I hope I don't come off sounded like a "noob" when i post all these questions .. id prefer to just have people who have first hand experienced it and have gone through it themselves to shoot out answers and plausible ideas so that i dont completely **** up here

ive got A LOT of money into this thing
      Hey i dont mind answering questions sometimes i run into things work on the car that make me scratch me head. I definitely know what you mean about the money into the car yikes . I feel the same way not wanting to mess things up. As i daily my monster lol
      -JAMES-
      DRIVEN/Built /UM Turbo R - VR NATION

29. Member
      Vehicles
      too much to list
      01-08-2012 02:19 PM #379
      What compression head spacer are you running?
      we are using the further performance 9:1 spacer but the actual compression on this motor is closer to 8.5:1. Using a non split gasket modified for max coolant flow has greater benefits than the traditional split gasket design. Yes, one may argue that a split gasket seals well but understanding how it works you would argue for the non split gasket. Having more layers makes it flexible to form to irregularities in material as well as have a higher tolerance for uneven expansion in bursts of heat.

I might be wrong but then again, VW/Audi might be wasting money on their headgasket design.
      Last edited by tom8thebomb; 01-08-2012 at 02:52 PM.
      Innovative Motorsports - Making wet dreams come true. Shop# (203) 345 4647

United Motorsport - Making software to rule the world.

Vehicles
      01-08-2012 03:08 PM #380
      ladies and gentlemen we have a celebrity in the building

Vehicles
      83 Rabbit - 02/04 .:R32 Jetta wagon - 04 .:R32 - E30 325i & Alfa GTV6 Chumpcar Racecars
      01-12-2012 05:55 PM #381
      ladies and gentlemen we have a celebrity in the building
      well....... I just want to know if you actually added the link to the chain or removed the head and split the gasket?? have you heat cycled the car and re torqued the head studs? what are you using for head studs BTW?

Vehicles
      turbo mk5 r32 and touareg
      01-12-2012 09:49 PM #382
      I understand the two gasket theory.. But why reinvent the wheel? For quite a while 12v's have been running split gaskets aswell as alot of r's and 2.8 24v's with good success and no mods to chains or guides. Im gonna run a further spacer and split gasket on my setup, which is extemely similar to yours mitch. Down to the 4" inlet housing and ram horn manifold
      WunderWagens June 10,2012 in Gilbert, PA... 2nd year http://www.wunderwagens-show.com
      UnitedMotorsport r32 cam flash... get one
      My Turbo .:R Build Thread
      WunderWagens Vortex Forum
      WunderWagens Facebook

Vehicles
      01-12-2012 11:46 PM #383
      i didn't understand this concept of toms idea with the chain until he showed me how a chain comes .. split already .. so who is the say they can't be taken apart, extended, and re-connected ..

additional 1/2 link was sourced overseas .. running the dual gaskets is a slight extra bit of reassurance that there will never be any problems .. and tom is pretty good with measurements and calculators so i trust his idea on this and we will see where this goes

I've been busy all week with this ****

turning this

into this

not for me .. for a buddys 1.8t .. baby throttle body

his caps def needed a touchup ..
      Last edited by JDM-JTI; 01-13-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Vehicles
      e30, she rocks a B8
      01-13-2012 05:36 PM #384
      how was pulling the guts out of that TB? kinda want to mod mine but i'm afraid to with all the electronics in it still.
      "I'm DrB and I approve this message."

instagram doktor_b

projekt oveRhaul - i hate my caR and i hate you too

Vehicles
      01-13-2012 05:46 PM #385
      well thats not for my car its for a 1.8t .. all that was taken out was the black casing and 2 gears inside .. then I threw some painters tape around it tightly so i didnt bother anything .. pretty sure the entire thing can be taken apart fairly easily though

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast