VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project title: Red Balls

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1981 Jetta 16v ITB/CIS, 1982 Jetta ABA Turbo, 1977 Scirocco pile
      05-07-2011 03:54 AM #1
      I picked up a new project today, i'm pretty damn stoked on it
      it's a 1982 Jetta diesel, it's Surinam Red Metallic, with a brown interior
      it's got a whole host of electrical problems, the engine bay is a rat's nest of wires, it doesn't run, and it's been spray bombed black
      but the body is almost 100% rust free and it came with a bunch of goodies, and it was dirt dirt dirt cheap

I want to get into driving it as soon as possible, taking more or less everything from my existiing 1984 jetta and putting them in this (coils, 1.6 TD, wheels & stiffening bars, etc), since this one has a much better body than my '84
      I wanted to really do a full resto on this thing, but seeing as I had a bit of an accident with my '84 recently, which bent the front inner fender, it looks like i'll be having to rush it a little
      i'll still be going over everything pretty well though, it just won't be perfect, just a really nice daily

my first concern with the car is getting it running, and getting the wiring cleaned up. probably one will lead to the other. I also want to get the spray paint off as quickly as possible and bring the original colour back out. the windshield seal is also toast so i hocked that out and cleaned up the seam, which has very little rust, just surface

EXCITED!

it's a small garage, i'll have better profile shots when i can get it out on it's own power

1.6D with 300k

*shudder* why doesn't it run? could it be this ball of random wires bypassing everything that SUPPOSED to make it run? hmmm...? rednecks

crap seat, but I LOVE BROWN

so fresh so clean

oh, and a bunch of goodies in the trunk namely, a full set of 14" P-slots (1 cap ), an FN transmission, and some interior goodies

more soon

Vehicles
      81' Cabby w/ 16v, 03' Jetta TDI, 80' Honda CB650
      05-07-2011 03:56 AM #2
      Looks good! I'll be watching this thread!

Vehicles
      '84 GTI '83 pickup '02 Focus '08 STI
      05-07-2011 10:13 AM #3
      looks like shes pretty solid... the p-slots are a plus!

Vehicles
      83Rabbit TD, 04jetta tdi sport, 02jetta
      05-07-2011 12:00 PM #4
      Watching as well Atleast the diesel wiring harness is easy enough to figure out.
      IG-@Kane86
      83 Rabbit TD-CAT themed diesel http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...+themed+rabbit
      04 Jetta sport TDI-Daily
      02 Jetta 1.8t-Wifes

5. Member
      Vehicles
      05-07-2011 12:54 PM #5
      ya, it's definitely easier
      it's the old stick style fuse box though, so i might just rip the whole harness and wiring out of my '84 and use that instead

Vehicles
      84 300sd 79 528i
      05-07-2011 02:30 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ArsenicPants View Post
      ya, it's definitely easier
      it's the old stick style fuse box though, so i might just rip the whole harness and wiring out of my '84 and use that instead
      Thats the setup i put into my 81 jetta. old fusebox tried to catch itself on fire one day. There's a few differences between the two, but the ce1 is sooooo much better. good luck.
      Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Damn you and your odd statehood.
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      We'll accept Canadians but draw the line at Texans.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      05-09-2011 01:43 AM #7
      I started today on stripping the paint off
      it's going to be a slow process; i went though 2 1/2 bottles of goof off and a bag of triple-0 steel wool, and only did about a 16th of the car
      nail polish remover didn't work, acetone didn't either, so this is all i've got so far

the paint was sanded down in spots before it was bombed black, mostly on the trunk so far, so i'll definitely be needing a touch-up can made up
      the existing paint is sooooo smooth though
      i also stripped out a bit of the interior, and am cleaning the existing paint as i go over the body

Vehicles
      stable of silver
      05-09-2011 02:55 AM #8
      Try using aircraft remover and laquer thinner to take off the paint, between the 2 one SHOULD work. If not, go to Harbor Frieght and buy an inline air sander. They're cheap and make sanding down big surfaces soo much faster. Btw I'm very jealous of your pinch welds
      Quote Originally Posted by SGLoki View Post
      Mk1people > Mkrestofpeople.
      Quote Originally Posted by unleashedd View Post
      wow this has escalatored quickly. dude now has vr6 up front, w8 out back, he's crying metal tears, and people are demanding consumption of feces... i dont know whats real anymore!

9. Member
      05-09-2011 06:04 AM #9
      never done it myself but I have heard that oven cleaner will take spraypaint off so try some of that. good luck

Vehicles
      80 rocco S, 80 caddy, 08' jetta
      05-09-2011 08:43 AM #10
      yea man save that OG paint!! Nothing beats the original, even if theres some battle scars Just recently got my 84 champagne 4door on the road, and let me tell you....aint nothin like bouncin' around in a mk1 jetta, lots of conversation at the gas pump

for saving one from the hands of some punk and his rattle can
      "I'm sorry if this is a wake-up call, but if your an ugly woman, than your no different than a man....and your gonna have to work for a living."

Vehicles
      '50 Dodge PilotHouse, '52 DKW 125W, '76 Rabbit Ocean Bleu X2,EA Cabriolet,'77 & '80 Scirocco,'01 JSW
      05-09-2011 09:29 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by bm20thbmp View Post
      for saving one from the hands of some punk and his rattle can
      x2

Vehicles
      88 fox RIP 86 jetta RIP 81 rabbit RIP, 1984 GTI RIP, 03Ranger RIP, (03 Legacy, 03 Allroad, 86 Jetta)
      05-09-2011 10:30 AM #12
      oven cleaner will eat that crap right off and save the o.g. paint...

Keep the stuff moist as it works, wear gloves, wear a respirator in that garage... If you get it on your skin use water to rinse it right away (not vinegar! someone will tell you to use it because it neutralizes the lye, but it also causes an exothermic reaction white it neutralizes and it'll cause some serious chemical burns.)

I don't know about the name.,.... it needs some of dem truck nutz.
      1% defined: Lone wolf, no club. Duct tape it yourself. It is broken down 1% of the time, and work is always 1% completed.
      2% defined: I'm too old to drive broken sh*t and VW people are cool. DBVW!
      Quote Originally Posted by nsindel View Post
      May I introduce Senor SGLoki -
      the man, the myth, the slamdancer...

Vehicles
      Pirelli GTI, Golf GLI Convertible, Golf TD, UR-GTI
      05-09-2011 10:41 AM #13
      Sorry for the question, but i see the P-Slot in your Jetta.

Can you buy the center cap from the Pirelli-Alloywheel in the US or they are sold out ?

14. Member
      05-09-2011 01:44 PM #14
      Save that Jetta!!

I'm sure you will have it sorted and running in no time.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      05-09-2011 01:50 PM #15
      oven cleaner will eat that crap right off and save the o.g. paint...

Keep the stuff moist as it works, wear gloves, wear a respirator in that garage... If you get it on your skin use water to rinse it right away (not vinegar! someone will tell you to use it because it neutralizes the lye, but it also causes an exothermic reaction white it neutralizes and it'll cause some serious chemical burns.)

I don't know about the name.,.... it needs some of dem truck nutz.
      I'm kinda weary to go with the oven cleaner, it seems like there's too much room for error
      I guess looking at how much of the original paint has been sanded down anyways though, i might give it a go

I'm calling it Red Balls 'cause my Blue Jetta was named Blue Balls
      suspension travel? huh? what's that?

I have no idea if the p-slot caps are still available
      i'll probably sell the one i have and polish the wheels (i like shiny things )
      i like the way they look without the caps, anyways

Vehicles
      mk1, mk4, and a bunch of hondas.
      05-09-2011 03:28 PM #16
      I love how all the mk1 finds come with a whole trunk filled with parts lol

Diggin' the brown interior as well I miss mine.
      Quote Originally Posted by POUNDxSAND View Post
      i love cats.
      WoW!crew.

17. Member
      05-09-2011 04:18 PM #17
      oven cleaner wont eff it up as bad as aircraft stripper, I swear that stuff will dissolve like 2.5 dead hookers an hour if you let it.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      05-15-2011 09:40 PM #18
      I've made a pretty big change of plans
      I'm going to be ditching the whole diesel thing and dropping in an OBD1 ABA
      i'm doing this for a few reasons:

1. I'm sick and tired of diesel. I don't care how fuel efficient they are, i want my rev happy gas motor back
      2. I have to replace the fuel filler neck, wiring harness, and motor anyways (found a bit of rust on the neck, the body is fine though)
      3. this way i can drive my '84 TD all the way up until i have to switch over my insurance

so i went to the yard and pulled an OBD1 computer, harness and instrument cluster out of a manual trans 95 Jetta, making sure to mark each wire. it took me the better part of the day, the car was complete and I've never take apart a mk3 before, so it took some time
      I'm going to swap in the entire system, leaving out the air bags and all that crap of course
      I've seen photos of mk3 clusters swapped into cabby dashes, so i know it's possible, it'll just take a lot of 'massaging'

stripping the paint is still reeeally slow
      i'm sticking with the goof off stuff though, it seems to do the best job of keeping the original paint while still cleanly removing the spray paint

on to the photos

the trunk is clean, the messy ball of wires looks... uhh.. like a lot of fun

floors are nice and solid, but I think the PO's tried to lift the car on the floor some time in the past 'cause it humps up on the passenger side

tiny specs of rust on the windshield seam, and 1 tiny hole i'll be filling before i put it back together

bit of surface rust on the battery tray. nothing a little sanding won't fix. though

good towers, but really crappy patch job by the PO on the passenger mount point. i really don't know why that area would have to be cut out, either. I'll be getting rid of the ugliness

spotless passenger fender rail, but...

a bit of rust on the driver side

and this is where i'm at now

cheers

19. Member
      Vehicles
      Doris 04 tdi, boris 79, wascal e. wabbit 84, beatrice 90, racecar 80, 84GTIx3. creme dream 81
      05-15-2011 10:36 PM #19
      nice. aircraft stripper is much meaner than oven cleaner. it will also make two grown men have a giggling conversation about the power puff girls if used in an unventilated garage.

dibs on the diesel stuff? I wants me some more mk1 td goodness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Deutschbag
      .....remind me not to IM anyone about anything important past 8pm on a Friday night.

M.C.M.S. #1
      Dead Rabbit Society: cultured 'n isht.

Vehicles
      88 fox RIP 86 jetta RIP 81 rabbit RIP, 1984 GTI RIP, 03Ranger RIP, (03 Legacy, 03 Allroad, 86 Jetta)
      05-15-2011 10:37 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Rommel2 View Post
      oven cleaner wont eff it up as bad as aircraft stripper, I swear that stuff will dissolve like 2.5 dead hookers an hour if you let it.
      Good calculation, this is true.

Nice progress man, looks like she's in pretty fair shape.
      1% defined: Lone wolf, no club. Duct tape it yourself. It is broken down 1% of the time, and work is always 1% completed.
      2% defined: I'm too old to drive broken sh*t and VW people are cool. DBVW!
      Quote Originally Posted by nsindel View Post
      May I introduce Senor SGLoki -
      the man, the myth, the slamdancer...

Vehicles
      1982 Diesel Jetta 4dr
      05-15-2011 11:18 PM #21
      this is going to be awesome, great job on the paint stripping. ABA's are so cheap and reliable I almost went that way myself. Good luck on that wiring!
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubspeed View Post
      diesel > EFI > CIS > carbs

Vehicles
      1982 Diesel Jetta 4dr
      05-15-2011 11:29 PM #22
      when I bought my diesel 82 it was under some spookily similar redneck-stylez circumstances, maybe the same retard owned them both:

Also, I have two extra seats that are in similar condition to your drivers side seat. Not any better than yours just something you could use for extra material as theres probably enough to make one good seat between the both of them. I'm in philadelphia, no idea where you're located. I'm not using them, so if you can get to them they're yours.

Also if the passenger's side under dash is brown is faded and flaking like every brown jetta interior I've come across, the Cabriolet brown under dash is a good solution, though you lose the extra compartment.

faded:

cabby knee bar, vinyl wrapped like the dash and doesn't fade, fairly easy to find:

23. Member
      Vehicles
      05-16-2011 01:37 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by tSoG-84bit View Post
      dibs on the diesel stuff? I wants me some more mk1 td goodness.
      if you want to come all the way up to Vancouver to get a 300k km NA diesel, she's all yours

when i ditch the TD in my current 84 i'll be sure to plop it on the vortex
      it's a 1.6 TD block with an AAZ head gasket and AAR studs, ABA oil girdle, a rebuilt k14 with a manual boost controller, 2.5" intercooler piping with a 2.5 x 6 x 27" intercooler, a tweaked pump obviously, mercedes injectors and a G60 valve cover
      with about 60,000 km

Quote Originally Posted by joshbucolo
      , I have two extra seats that are in similar condition to your drivers side seat. Not any better than yours just something you could use for extra material as theres probably enough to make one good seat between the both of them. I'm in philadelphia, no idea where you're located. I'm not using them, so if you can get to them they're yours.

Also if the passenger's side under dash is brown is faded and flaking like every brown jetta interior I've come across, the Cabriolet brown under dash is a good solution, though you lose the extra compartment.
      thanks, like I said I'm in vancouver Canada, so i don't think i'll be asking you about that material
      i intend to redo a set of sport seats, or find a set of recaros and recover them
      my brown underdash stuff is actually in really good shape; not faded or anything
      i wish i had a second glove box, just because, but i might try and look for one
      i know a guy who's selling a brown Scirocco steering wheel with the correct horn button that i'll probably grab, too
      my center console is actually pretty beat, the PO cut the gauge section out, so i'll need another one of those

cheers

Vehicles
      '81 Caddy 1.5D, '79 Rabbit 1.6D
      05-16-2011 09:41 AM #24
      LMK when you're going to put yer turbo diezel up for sale... Do want.

25. 05-16-2011 04:06 PM #25

crap seat, but I LOVE BROWN
      There is a 2dr Jetta of the same color and interior code in my local junkyard. The passenger side seat is in good condition if you want me to try and pick up the bottom for you, maybe the seat back too if you wanna swap it.

-Rob

26. Member
      Vehicles
      06-03-2011 01:46 AM #26
      moar!

I've been plugging away at it over the last few weeks
      i've stripped more paint, and bought a bunch of stuff
      -passenger side euro headlight, signal and trim to replace the smashed one from my current car
      -mint driver side tail light
      -a buttload of relays to finish off my fuse panel
      -an ODB1 ABA with 155k, although since ripping into it it seems like it might need more work than i'd like
      -some maintenance bits for the ABA, like a new timing belt, water neck pieces, thermostat, distributor, etc
      - an OEM trunk matt in pristine shape
      and some other little bits

i tore into the rear flares, something I always dread, and for good reason
      because i found rust, and lots of it

so new repair pieces are needed

i've got most of the wiring harness together and organized

brought the motor home last weekend and started taking it apart to get cleaned up

unfortunately, the block had dead snails all in the cracks and between the alternator and the block and stuff, which is pretty disconcerning, as it was probably sitting somewhere very damp for a while
      apparently the guy who had it pulled it straight from a running mk3 though, so we'll see
      the alternator tensioning bolts were snapped off in the bracket, and I can't take the bracket off without taking the alternator off, so i'll have to drill it out and retap it
      also, the exhaust studs were super rusty and corroded; one has snapped off already, and they're all really easily rounded, so i'm soaking them in PB and hopefully i'll be able to get them off without getting too into it

and my garage is a complete mess

also, it's a real bitch, but my daily has been issued a vehicle inspection, so it's coming off the road and being parted, as it would never pass inspection in a million years (rusty trunk and virtually no interior lighting, "too low", etc)
      so if anyone is interested in anything, give me a shout

oh, and can anyone tell me what the crap this thing is?
      i grabbed it with the relays since i figured i might need it; do i?

cheers

Vehicles
      88 SETA E30
      06-03-2011 02:17 AM #27
      [/QUOTE]
      oh, and can anyone tell me what the crap this thing is?
      i grabbed it with the relays since i figured i might need it; do i?

[/QUOTE]

Fan control module, not needed if you keep the original fan setup

28. Member
      Vehicles
      06-03-2011 12:00 PM #28
      ahh, ok
      I'll probably be using it then, I've got a vR6 dual fan with a shallow motor i'd like to use if possible

thanks

Vehicles
      81' VW MK1 Rabbit, 79' Dodge Omni 024, 87 Bronce 2, 04' Chevy Cavalier, 78' Yamaha SR500
      06-03-2011 12:17 PM #29
      cool build. how did the inspection for the car come up? that's crazy man, where I'm from that crap would never happen. is that a Canadian thing?
      if its broken, fix it. then break it again.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      06-03-2011 12:28 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by jjvblack View Post
      cool build. how did the inspection for the car come up? that's crazy man, where I'm from that crap would never happen. is that a Canadian thing?
      ya, it happens more often than we'd like up here
      I was driving late at night with a burnt out tail light, and i just had a fender bender with a car in traffic a few weeks before, smashing my headlight, and the insurance adjuster had only just looked at it
      i intended to fix it this weekend
      the DRL was still working, but the headlight was out
      and because the car is so low and old they'll use the two lights as enough of a reason to tell me it needs to be safety inspected
      they just hand it to you, there's no ticket; you just either have to pay to have it tested, or take the car off the road within 1 month

it was bound to happen sooner or later, it's really my fault for letting the little things go unfixed for so long
      i've moved passed it, I no longer want to smash everything in sight

31. 06-03-2011 07:10 PM #31
      LE6B

Vehicles
      81' VW MK1 Rabbit, 79' Dodge Omni 024, 87 Bronce 2, 04' Chevy Cavalier, 78' Yamaha SR500
      06-03-2011 08:26 PM #32
      I no longer want to smash everything in sight
      lol, thats a bummer. you better hurry up and finish this Red Balls project then pronto.
      if its broken, fix it. then break it again.

Vehicles
      1982 Diesel Jetta 4dr
      07-07-2011 09:20 PM #33
      did your old diesel have ac? Need controls and wiring for the control knob.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      07-08-2011 02:12 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by joshbucolo View Post
      did your old diesel have ac? Need controls and wiring for the control knob.
      no it did not osrry
      but in other news, RED BALLS IS RED AGAIN!

I found d way faster way of stripping the paint
      i got some graffiti remover, which is like the talstrip only much milder
      so i can dowse a panel in the stuff, walk away, come back and wipe it off 15 minutes later, and clean up the little bits with the goof off
      WAY faster
      I've also been piecing together more and more interior bits, and working on cleaning the motor
      motor is next on the list as far priority goes

Vehicles
      stable of silver
      07-08-2011 02:58 AM #35
      Og patina>flat black Great job getting all of that crap off there, this thing should look great with some of the parts off your last Jetta swapped on, like the Epsilons and euro lights for example
      Mk1people > Mkrestofpeople.
      Quote Originally Posted by unleashedd View Post
      wow this has escalatored quickly. dude now has vr6 up front, w8 out back, he's crying metal tears, and people are demanding consumption of feces... i dont know whats real anymore!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast