FINALLY! Got everything sorted. Here she is in her new home:
Oh, and I'm tossing the dizzies. Not enough tuneability with the stock ECU and trying to make the twin dizzies work with anything else is a PITA. MSIII and CDI here I come. I'll probably mount the CDI units where the dizzies were though, just easier using the stock wire routing. I've got some ideas for some interesting dizzy block off plates with CDI mounts on them. Should be "interesting".
Thats exactly what I was planning with mine, but using MSII and EDIS Mount the coil packs on the end of the heads where the dizzys were and use the OE plug wires I might hack the Motronic to run coil packs initially to save a few ££s though, and then do MS later.
92 Corrado OBD2 ABA-T (BW EFR 6258) Powered by MS3Pro
Linfert Performance: The Megasquirt guy in central Florida Like my Facebook page....
Sandy Linfert 11/4/1991 - 5/13/2013
For me, it's awesome. While fabricating, engine/tranny goes in, then it comes out, then it goes in, then it comes out. Repeat until dead. It's best if you can do the insert/extract quickly.
Kinda like investment banking or sex. Strangely, I haven't lost interest yet.
Sadly, that was the joke.
Official Dope Shizz Thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...g-Dope-Shizz!!
What is something you learned last year that you are going to do differently this year?
Rulez Same reason I'm using a 3.6 in my A4 instead of a 4.2 ^ Its still within the 'capacity class' of the A4 body since the S4 had the 2.7TT
Oh yeah I hear you on that. I'm trying to stick to modified road car for hillclimbing, rather than unlimited where I'd be competing with open-wheel ex-formula cars The other discipline it will see is UK autocross which is actually grasstrack. In that I'm in unlimited for having Quattro so the engine doesn't matter
Something that might be of interest to you - I discovered the other day that the 16V head will see roughly a 10% increase in flow solely from a 3-angle valve seat cut. I had to take the heads off mine anyway as it had sat with the inlet off for a while, so I'm porting them while they're off. I reckon with an ABT chip in the Motronic, and 10%+ increase in flow on the heads I might hit close to 300hp flywheel, which would be nice
Truth be told, I may not stay out of mod in SCCA, but that's just 1 of many racing organizations in the area. Either way, that downforce is the difference between CMod and AMod. I'm just trying to keep it as low on the scale as possible with the engine/chassis I've got.
So the engine/tranny is out again. Still a little clean up to do on the mounts. A couple of diagonals on the tranny mount and some gussets but nothing too severe. Every time I pull it out of the car all I can think is "that might be a little big".
I'm not putting it back until I'm ready to fire it. In the interim, time to clean up the chassis starting with the engine bay:
Meh, got sidetracked. Had to build one of these for the wife. You know the drill, happy wife happy life. On the upside, all her crap is out of my shop:
The v8 is going up on the shelf for modifications later. I gotta drive and the v6 is the shortest path to there. Ordered a new flywheel Friday w/ a 60-2 trigger built in (later v6 model). I wasn't happy with the motor mounts I cut earlier, so this happened:
Hay loft. Apparently it goes with the animals. What would I know, I build things and she grows things.
You don't wanna know how much lumber I had to carry up that hill so the loft could support 7 tons of hay. Couldn't drive up there, with the rain the clay got slick as snot.
Sorry for the idleness in this thread, I kinda got distracted. Another car followed me home:
Spent the last few months prepping it as a track toy. Her first day out was a DE at SCR last weekend. Goes like snot. It was happily playing with the Pro-3 cars and holding it's own.
Now, back on the hunt with the teener...
So playing around with the 944 really set me back. If it wasn't for that thing, the teener would probably be up and running on the v6 as it's a dead simple engine. Now that winter's comming, I've got 5 months of no driving so the heck with the v6. I tossed it out so I wouldn't be tempted to go down that path again.
Modified the engine yoke to fit the V8
With the oil pan at the same height as the body pan, it sits nice and low:
I moved the engine/tranny 2" forward. This gives me a 4.5 degree axle deflection which is well within limits and moves the CG a bit forward. This'll also allow me to put most of the steel I removed from the rear trunk back:
Next up: get measurements done for custom axles.