Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another build thread, musta saw too many Porsche-Audi decals on old race cars.

1. 01-04-2012 02:40 PM #71
      FINALLY! Got everything sorted. Here she is in her new home:

2. 01-04-2012 03:26 PM #72
      Very awesome! Just to help you a bit, 10v 90qs use a 228mm clutch with the correct splines for that tranny. Clutchnet or similar should make a sticky one.

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      01-04-2012 04:21 PM #73
      Nice You can even fit the dizzys
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

4. 01-04-2012 04:35 PM #74
      At under 2000lbs with only 215/45r 17s I'm pretty sure the clutch is gonna be the least of my problems, but I may as well go big. Thanks for the tip!

5. 01-04-2012 04:38 PM #75
      Oh, and I'm tossing the dizzies. Not enough tuneability with the stock ECU and trying to make the twin dizzies work with anything else is a PITA. MSIII and CDI here I come. I'll probably mount the CDI units where the dizzies were though, just easier using the stock wire routing. I've got some ideas for some interesting dizzy block off plates with CDI mounts on them. Should be "interesting".

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 05:28 PM #76
      Thats exactly what I was planning with mine, but using MSII and EDIS Mount the coil packs on the end of the heads where the dizzys were and use the OE plug wires I might hack the Motronic to run coil packs initially to save a few ££s though, and then do MS later.
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

7. 01-05-2012 10:25 AM #77
      Hoping I can get the new tranny mounts done at lunch today. Sadly, work's a bit hectic so we'll see if that happens.

I'm gonna mount a tranny. Hehehe.

Vehicles
      01-05-2012 07:20 PM #78
      Steady now

9. 01-05-2012 07:44 PM #79
      Ok, didn't happen at lunch. Got steel cut, but more cutting and welding to go. I'm really starting to hate welding. Never thought I'd write that, but it seems like miles of welds.

10. 01-05-2012 10:08 PM #80
      The beginnings of a tranny mount. I know it's asymetrical, but so is the tranny so live with it:

It needs gussets, but I ran out of welding wire. Apparently, I wasn't paying attention.

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado ABA-T and MS3-Pro powered, 84 Honda V65 Sabre
      01-06-2012 06:39 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by rohar View Post
      Oh, and I'm tossing the dizzies. Not enough tuneability with the stock ECU and trying to make the twin dizzies work with anything else is a PITA. MSIII and CDI here I come. I'll probably mount the CDI units where the dizzies were though, just easier using the stock wire routing. I've got some ideas for some interesting dizzy block off plates with CDI mounts on them. Should be "interesting".
      Rather than CDI you might want to consider getting the MS3X along with the MS3 and running LS coils. They are readily available at the junkyard, cheap and hotter than just about anything. AND they are plug and play with the MS3X and will work fired in waste spark mode if you don't have a cam signal for true sequential.
      The Professor
      Melbourne, FL
      92 Corrado OBD2 ABA-T (BW EFR 6258) Powered by MS3Pro
      Linfert Performance: The Megasquirt guy in central Florida Like my Facebook page....
      Sandy Linfert 11/4/1991 - 5/13/2013

12. 01-06-2012 05:09 PM #82
      I mounted a tranny:

No wait, I mounted a tranny.

I'm thinking next project is a lot of chassis cleanup and plumbing.

Vehicles
      01-06-2012 05:54 PM #83
      Looks good

So is there a pair of mounts for the front cradle and another pair for the rear?

14. 01-06-2012 07:08 PM #84
      Yup, 4 bolts hold the whole mess together. Scary as hell huh?

Vehicles
      01-07-2012 09:48 AM #85
      Kinda convenient really

16. 01-07-2012 01:50 PM #86
      For me, it's awesome. While fabricating, engine/tranny goes in, then it comes out, then it goes in, then it comes out. Repeat until dead. It's best if you can do the insert/extract quickly.

Kinda like investment banking or sex. Strangely, I haven't lost interest yet.

Sadly, that was the joke.

Vehicles
      82 Rabbit 1.8L, 84 Rabbit GTI 20vBT Swap, 86 Audi 4000Q, 96 Audi A4Q V6, 02 Audi A4 1.8T
      01-09-2012 03:09 AM #87
      Ok, got a bit sidetracked with some travel this weekend, but I wasn't going to bed tonight without some progress.

Removed the headlight motors, I'm gonna have to get out of the car to turn them on now. Oh, and hot air leaves here:

Why not keep the fron t compartment intact and just custom fab a hood vent? Seems more logical than having it route out the side..
      What is something you learned last year that you are going to do differently this year?

18. 01-09-2012 10:19 AM #88
      Sanction. This one's gonna be a clubman and will see at least autocross time if not more. Venting through the hood is illegal downforce in most organizations. Silly, but true.

Vehicles
      01-09-2012 01:48 PM #89
      Rulez Same reason I'm using a 3.6 in my A4 instead of a 4.2 ^ Its still within the 'capacity class' of the A4 body since the S4 had the 2.7TT

20. 01-09-2012 03:00 PM #90
      Oh, I'll be tossed deep into GT, but I'm staying out of modified. Those bastards are a pack of wolves and I ain't got the chops.

Vehicles
      01-09-2012 04:05 PM #91
      Oh yeah I hear you on that. I'm trying to stick to modified road car for hillclimbing, rather than unlimited where I'd be competing with open-wheel ex-formula cars The other discipline it will see is UK autocross which is actually grasstrack. In that I'm in unlimited for having Quattro so the engine doesn't matter

Something that might be of interest to you - I discovered the other day that the 16V head will see roughly a 10% increase in flow solely from a 3-angle valve seat cut. I had to take the heads off mine anyway as it had sat with the inlet off for a while, so I'm porting them while they're off. I reckon with an ABT chip in the Motronic, and 10%+ increase in flow on the heads I might hit close to 300hp flywheel, which would be nice

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      01-09-2012 04:31 PM #92
      You stare at the VAG parts bin long enough, and drink enough beer, eventually it all makes sense
      LOL, indeed.

Nice showing so far!

I get the sneaking suspicion someone at some time told you "this can't be done". ..likely on the vortex

23. 01-09-2012 04:32 PM #93
      Heads are coming off shortly. Yes, 3 angle valve grind and using exhaust cams for intake. It's just 2 16vs stuck together, all the same old tricks apply. Kicking around a solid lifter conversion, but that'll most likely wait until after it's running.

24. 01-09-2012 04:37 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by sdezego View Post
      LOL, indeed.

Nice showing so far!

I get the sneaking suspicion someone at some time told you "this can't be done". ..likely on the vortex
      This isn't my first time down the water cooled 914 route, just my best. If anyone told me that, I ignored them so well I can't remember them. Now I've just gotta get the turn signals working on the 944 so I can get back to work on the teener.

Vehicles
      Cars are dumb in the city but I have two
      01-09-2012 05:04 PM #95
      Oh, I'll be tossed deep into GT, but I'm staying out of modified. Those bastards are a pack of wolves and I ain't got the chops.
      I love this biuld
      awesome idea

but how in the world are you going to stay out of modified classes?
      a guy I autoX with got tossed into modified with his vr mk2
      and yours is just incredible
      please explain for my learning

26. 01-09-2012 05:28 PM #96
      Truth be told, I may not stay out of mod in SCCA, but that's just 1 of many racing organizations in the area. Either way, that downforce is the difference between CMod and AMod. I'm just trying to keep it as low on the scale as possible with the engine/chassis I've got.

Vehicles
      01-10-2012 07:01 AM #97
      Heads are coming off shortly. Yes, 3 angle valve grind and using exhaust cams for intake. It's just 2 16vs stuck together, all the same old tricks apply. Kicking around a solid lifter conversion, but that'll most likely wait until after it's running.
      Apparently ABH / ABZ cams are the best for the 3.6. Not found any yet, but I'm sure some will turn up before I put it back together

Pic for inspiration:

28. 01-15-2012 05:43 PM #98
      So the engine/tranny is out again. Still a little clean up to do on the mounts. A couple of diagonals on the tranny mount and some gussets but nothing too severe. Every time I pull it out of the car all I can think is "that might be a little big".

I'm not putting it back until I'm ready to fire it. In the interim, time to clean up the chassis starting with the engine bay:

29. 04-15-2012 10:10 PM #99
      Meh, got sidetracked. Had to build one of these for the wife. You know the drill, happy wife happy life. On the upside, all her crap is out of my shop:

The v8 is going up on the shelf for modifications later. I gotta drive and the v6 is the shortest path to there. Ordered a new flywheel Friday w/ a 60-2 trigger built in (later v6 model). I wasn't happy with the motor mounts I cut earlier, so this happened:

30. 04-20-2012 03:33 PM #100
      Blasting today. Lots and lots of blasting. None of the cancer is too deep, but it's everywhere...

Vehicles
      project central
      04-22-2012 06:01 PM #101
      thats a tall shed for the wife, why so tall?
      Quote Originally Posted by 2mAn View Post
      go crash into a hybrid
      For powder coating and fabrication ---> www.roguemetalworks.com

32. 04-22-2012 11:06 PM #102
      Hay loft. Apparently it goes with the animals. What would I know, I build things and she grows things.

You don't wanna know how much lumber I had to carry up that hill so the loft could support 7 tons of hay. Couldn't drive up there, with the rain the clay got slick as snot.

33. 05-04-2012 02:44 PM #103
      ...still blasting. What fun. The new flywheel appeared today, don't have to worry about a trigger wheel for the MSIII anymore.

34. 10-14-2012 11:54 AM #104
      Sorry for the idleness in this thread, I kinda got distracted. Another car followed me home:

Spent the last few months prepping it as a track toy. Her first day out was a DE at SCR last weekend. Goes like snot. It was happily playing with the Pro-3 cars and holding it's own.

Now, back on the hunt with the teener...

35. 10-16-2012 10:43 AM #105
      So playing around with the 944 really set me back. If it wasn't for that thing, the teener would probably be up and running on the v6 as it's a dead simple engine. Now that winter's comming, I've got 5 months of no driving so the heck with the v6. I tossed it out so I wouldn't be tempted to go down that path again.

Modified the engine yoke to fit the V8

With the oil pan at the same height as the body pan, it sits nice and low:

I moved the engine/tranny 2" forward. This gives me a 4.5 degree axle deflection which is well within limits and moves the CG a bit forward. This'll also allow me to put most of the steel I removed from the rear trunk back:

Next up: get measurements done for custom axles.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast