Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another build thread, musta saw too many Porsche-Audi decals on old race cars.

1. 10-09-2011 12:33 AM #36
      What's this "gonna" you speak of. It's already great, now all I gotta do is tie all the parts I've accumulated into a functioning car.

Spring is gonna rawk. Stay tuned, I've got a couple of twists planned for this story.

2. 10-20-2011 03:22 PM #37
      So shortly, the /6 is gonna go on the bench and I'll deal with it later. There's no aftermaket for it and it's a nut I really wanna crack, but it's too much trouble to get the car running by spring. I picked up the new hardware this week. Say hello to my little friend, bad things are about to happen to it:

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      10-21-2011 07:41 AM #38
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

Vehicles
      87 Pirelli Coupe 3.0VRT, 96 A6Q, 2000 Jetta VR
      10-27-2011 12:27 PM #39
      Love the project . Makes me miss my 73 914... Swapped out the original 2.0 for a 67 911s engine. Sold her 12 years ago ... Still see her ocassionally. Was the same colour too. I have an Audi v8 that i've been wondering what to do with... Think I need another 914.
      Quoted from slcturbo:
      "I look in the mirror everyday at my face. What other people see is their problem."

5. 11-08-2011 02:56 PM #40
      All work and no fabrication makes rohar a dull boy.

Afraid I haven't been home/had free time in a bit. North Dakota for family, Seattle for work, parents came up from Florida etc. Anyway, that's behind me. Now that I'm sitting on the V8, I've gone through it and everything seems solid. Time to come up with a flywheel that'll work with this tranny. I'm off to the local wrecking yard then back to the machine shop with more cash in my pocket. Wish me luck.

6. 11-08-2011 05:37 PM #41
      SCORE! VR6 flywheel and pressure plate in good condition for $50. Also came across a set of adjustable perches and springs for a MkIII golf for $35. Not sure what I'm gonna use them for, but they were there and the price was right. Now to remove the flexplate and do a bunch of measuring before machining.

Some days I think this project is never gonna get done, this is not one of those days.

Vehicles
      11-09-2011 04:22 PM #42
      Intrigued...

Whats the VR6 flywheel for?
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

8. 11-09-2011 07:19 PM #43
      Since there's few v8s with manual transmissions in the states, this one came with a flex plate. Somehow, I gotta make this work with the FWD 5 speed. I could shell out the money for the flywheel insert from 034 that's some real cash and I'm a CSOB.

SO...

I'm taking a decent looking VR6 flywheel (because it's 10 bolt like the V8), tossing it on the lathe to relieve some metal then machining the starter ring off the flex plate. Put the two together and I've got a clutch solution for under $100.

Vehicles
      11-11-2011 04:18 PM #44
      Interesting idea. I heard the VR6 uses a different 10-bolt pattern to the V8 - I'd be interested to know if thats true or not.

How does the diameter compare? The V8 uses a 240mm clutch compared to the VR6s 228 - I think the VR6 flywheel will be a little small to fit the V8's starter ring.

I don't think the 034 insert fits the 3.6 flex-plate anyway - its designed for the ABZ iirc, so this or an OE fw are about the only options.

Looking forward to your findings with this

10. 11-11-2011 07:17 PM #45
      I can confirm they're the same bolt pattern. I spent an hour with my favorite 80 year old machinist verifying everything. He doesn't let me get away with much, that's why you use old machinists.

Yes, the clutch is 228mm. I know I'm giving up a bit of friction going this direction, but it's an 1800lb car on 215/40/17s. The tires will break loose long before the clutch slips. I'm not worried about the starter ring. We're keeping the v8 flexplate/starter ring and removing everything from the flywheel that's in the way. Then I'll just stack them up on the crank flange. That'll leave me w/ most of a vr6 flywheel, vr6 pressure plate, audi tranny and a custom clutch to fit the audi shaft at the required diameter/thickness. All said and done I'm headed for about $200 for the whole mess. Compare that to the 034 solution and I'm feeling pretty good.

Something's gonna screw this plan up eventually, but that's the plan I'm taking for now.

Vehicles
      11-12-2011 01:44 PM #46
      Excellent

Nice idea stacking them together

Given that there are clutch solutions for 500hp VRTs I don't think you'll have a problem at 228mm anyway.

12. 11-12-2011 02:11 PM #47
      You stare at the VAG parts bin long enough, and drink enough beer, eventually it all makes sense

Vehicles
      11-12-2011 03:53 PM #48
      Yeah lol I need to go and find who said the VR6 was a different pattern to the V8 and poke them with a stick

Oh, and mount a V8 transversely on a VR6 transmission

14. 11-12-2011 04:22 PM #49
      V8 engine on a VR6 tranny won't work quite as well. Different bellhousing. That can be resolved with a tig and a grinder.

Vehicles
      11-12-2011 05:19 PM #50
      Its been done Can't find the picture right now though...

16. 11-12-2011 07:21 PM #51
      Just because it has been done doesn't mean it should ever be done again. I mean really, Vanilla Ice has been done. I'm pretty sure none of us should ever do that again!

...Ice Ice baby to go...

Vehicles
      11-13-2011 05:05 AM #52
      LOL!

18. 12-15-2011 05:48 PM #53
      So it's been a while, some stuff has happened. Managed to get storeage built for the new shop but that doesn't help this project much. Also, came up with another chassis, probably more on that later. Fun part is the V8 is going in the new chassis so it's upward and onward with the V6. Probably better that way anyway as there's much to be done with this engine and the community can use what I do later. Few are playing with this lump. Lord knows I haven't before.

So today, in the sake of progress, I tear the intake manifold apart as it has to be mounted backwards to clear bodywork so the long runners are gonna have to be cut off to clear cooling pipes.

I knew it was a dual runner manifold, but I wasn't aware of how it worked until I split it. Look at that, the short runners (the ones I'm keeping) have their own butterflies. I'm thinking piss on a throttle boddy. Block off/cut off the long runners and use the butterflies for ITBish type set up.

Photobucket

Vehicles
      project central
      12-20-2011 10:28 PM #54
      in for something really different
      Quote Originally Posted by 2mAn View Post
      go crash into a hybrid
      For all things Metal ---> www.roguemetalworks.com

20. 12-22-2011 08:36 PM #55
      So everything went all sideways. I managed to snag an "almost running" 944 for $500. It's actually in pretty good shape. The "almost" part was just some electrical issues that have been resolved. This put me in a real corner as I had two engines and two cars that came with the wrong engines. I was planning on dropping the /8 in the 944 as a heavy car needs a big engine. As of today, that's no longer the plan. It's just too wide. So the /8 goes in the teener. There will be another thread at another day dealing with the /6 944.

21. 12-24-2011 11:49 AM #56
      Out with the old...

22. 12-24-2011 11:45 PM #57
      Somehow that tranny looked a bit bigger on the other lump:

Merry Christmas and happy tuning!

23. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      B6 A4 Quattro
      12-30-2011 11:51 AM #58
      Hell of a project. This is what having fun with swaps is all about, cant wait to see it finished.

24. 12-30-2011 12:57 PM #59
      Slowly making some progress. The start of the passenger side motor mount.

No really, stop laughing. I'll make something of this ugly piece of steel yet.

25. 12-30-2011 02:55 PM #60
      Lookie here, passenger side motor mount stub all finished.

26. 01-01-2012 11:24 PM #61
      So that's how you strap a big lump down:

Vehicles
      01-02-2012 05:33 AM #62
      Is it solid mounted?

I just got done with the two side mounts in my A4. On to the front one after tidying the motor up

28. 01-02-2012 10:05 AM #63
      Almost. The cradle is bolted solid to the engine. Then the two little holes you see on the ends of the front cross bar are bolted to the chassis using 911 motor mounts:

Vehicles
      01-02-2012 12:34 PM #64
      Ah ok That makes it pretty easy to swap stuff in then

30. 01-02-2012 12:38 PM #65
      That's part of the reason I left the cradle on the /6. Motor swap can happen in under an hour if you're on your toes. I've got carts that fit the engines at height. Lift the car an inch, set it down on the carts, pull 4 bolts from the motor/tranny mounts, then use the cherry picker to lift the whole chassis off the engine. Grab the whole mess by the tranny and tug it out.

Thinking I should probably build a cradle for the I4 engines so I could compete in 3 classes in one day, just haven't made it there yet.

Vehicles
      01-02-2012 12:40 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by rohar View Post
      Thinking I should probably build a cradle for the I4 engines so I could compete in 3 classes in one day, just haven't made it there yet.

Did you get any further with your hybrid flywheel?

32. 01-02-2012 12:54 PM #67
      Still waiting on my machinist. Family and travel over the holidays have slowed him down a bit. Well, that and making a whole set of pistons for an experimental airplane that was ahead of me in the job schedule

33. 01-02-2012 04:41 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by MikeG@FCP_Groton View Post
      Hell of a project. This is what having fun with swaps is all about, cant wait to see it finished.
      If I can get the energy together to get off the couch and back to the shop, we may see an engine mounted tonight.

Just noticed you're near Groton. Spent some of the worst years of my life on the sub base there. Had some of the best times in my life off base near there about 20 years ago

Drove a 325 back then.

Suddenly, I miss the east coast.

34. 01-02-2012 09:08 PM #69
      Sonofagun! I managed to get the rest of the little pieces of steel cut and welded. Put the thing back on the engine and everything still fit so I obviously didn't warp it too much. It's back on the carts and ready to go under the car for a test fit. There's gonna be a marriage after the kids go to sleep.

35. 01-02-2012 11:21 PM #70
      Well that almost worked. The passenger side of the yoke ran in to the suspension ear. More cutting and welding tomorrow, kill me now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast