Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another build thread, musta saw too many Porsche-Audi decals on old race cars.

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      08-06-2011 04:13 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by rohar View Post
      YOU'RE NOT HELPING!!!

Its a simple enough swap later anyway I'm about to do it to an A4
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

2. 08-14-2011 07:19 PM #27
      So time to put a water container in the car. Radiator braces:

You can't see it, but under that fender washer there's a big rubber gromet to allow some chassis flex and not crack the radiator.

Top end, hey look, the manufacturers gave me a nut welded to the chassis in the right place!:

Air goes here, and yes, it's winking at you on purpose:
      Why the heck is there an air matress pump on my front cowl? I never notice these oddities until I post the picsw on the internet...

Above view, something tells me I'm not gonna be putting groceries in the front trunk anymore:

3. 08-17-2011 01:46 AM #28
      this is gonna be cool

4. 08-22-2011 10:52 PM #29
      Ok, got a bit sidetracked with some travel this weekend, but I wasn't going to bed tonight without some progress.

Removed the headlight motors, I'm gonna have to get out of the car to turn them on now. Oh, and hot air leaves here:

5. 08-25-2011 12:18 AM #30
      Alright, shiat just got real. The project's gonna have to pause for a month or so because I just sold the house. Put an offer in on a property with a 3 bay shop big enough to park my 30' rv in with room. On acreage. Oh, and apparently there's a house there too.

6. 09-04-2011 07:21 PM #31
      So the wife's banned me from working on the car until we're moved. On the up side, we've gotta be out of this house in like 2 weeks so the pause isn't as long as it could have been.

While the brain idles packing boxes, I've come to the conclusion that my axle solution sucks. I ordered more parts today. Stay tuned for a more eloquent solution. Oh, and when I was over in Seattle a bit ago, I ran into a parts yard that had 4 3.6l v8s. Now they've got 3. Dirt cheep and under 100k miles on it. Now I've got to move 3 engines. Maybe my timing was a bit off.

7. 10-07-2011 06:24 PM #32
      Finally in the new home. The shop is bigger than I remembered. I haven't measured it but it looks to be 50x50 by eye. Absolutely no storage in the shop so I'm hunting craigslist for cabinets. Gonna be another 2 weeks before everything is sorted out and I can get back to work.

Vehicles
      10-08-2011 05:20 AM #33
      Oo missed you'd bought a V8

Jealous of your new shop!
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

9. 10-08-2011 12:34 PM #34
      Yeah, couldn't help myself on the V8. The price was right. May pick up another when I'm back in Seattle. Too many bad ideas cookin now that I've been idle for a few weeks.

Vehicles
      Cars are dumb in the city but I have two
      10-08-2011 10:01 PM #35
      this is gonna be great
      keep up the work

11. 10-09-2011 12:33 AM #36
      What's this "gonna" you speak of. It's already great, now all I gotta do is tie all the parts I've accumulated into a functioning car.

Spring is gonna rawk. Stay tuned, I've got a couple of twists planned for this story.

12. 10-20-2011 03:22 PM #37
      So shortly, the /6 is gonna go on the bench and I'll deal with it later. There's no aftermaket for it and it's a nut I really wanna crack, but it's too much trouble to get the car running by spring. I picked up the new hardware this week. Say hello to my little friend, bad things are about to happen to it:

Vehicles
      10-21-2011 07:41 AM #38

Vehicles
      87 Pirelli Coupe 3.0VRT, 96 A6Q, 2000 Jetta VR
      10-27-2011 12:27 PM #39
      Love the project . Makes me miss my 73 914... Swapped out the original 2.0 for a 67 911s engine. Sold her 12 years ago ... Still see her ocassionally. Was the same colour too. I have an Audi v8 that i've been wondering what to do with... Think I need another 914.
      Quoted from slcturbo:
      "I look in the mirror everyday at my face. What other people see is their problem."

15. 11-08-2011 02:56 PM #40
      All work and no fabrication makes rohar a dull boy.

Afraid I haven't been home/had free time in a bit. North Dakota for family, Seattle for work, parents came up from Florida etc. Anyway, that's behind me. Now that I'm sitting on the V8, I've gone through it and everything seems solid. Time to come up with a flywheel that'll work with this tranny. I'm off to the local wrecking yard then back to the machine shop with more cash in my pocket. Wish me luck.

16. 11-08-2011 05:37 PM #41
      SCORE! VR6 flywheel and pressure plate in good condition for $50. Also came across a set of adjustable perches and springs for a MkIII golf for $35. Not sure what I'm gonna use them for, but they were there and the price was right. Now to remove the flexplate and do a bunch of measuring before machining.

Some days I think this project is never gonna get done, this is not one of those days.

Vehicles
      11-09-2011 04:22 PM #42
      Intrigued...

Whats the VR6 flywheel for?

18. 11-09-2011 07:19 PM #43
      Since there's few v8s with manual transmissions in the states, this one came with a flex plate. Somehow, I gotta make this work with the FWD 5 speed. I could shell out the money for the flywheel insert from 034 that's some real cash and I'm a CSOB.

SO...

I'm taking a decent looking VR6 flywheel (because it's 10 bolt like the V8), tossing it on the lathe to relieve some metal then machining the starter ring off the flex plate. Put the two together and I've got a clutch solution for under $100.

Vehicles
      11-11-2011 04:18 PM #44
      Interesting idea. I heard the VR6 uses a different 10-bolt pattern to the V8 - I'd be interested to know if thats true or not.

How does the diameter compare? The V8 uses a 240mm clutch compared to the VR6s 228 - I think the VR6 flywheel will be a little small to fit the V8's starter ring.

I don't think the 034 insert fits the 3.6 flex-plate anyway - its designed for the ABZ iirc, so this or an OE fw are about the only options.

Looking forward to your findings with this

20. 11-11-2011 07:17 PM #45
      I can confirm they're the same bolt pattern. I spent an hour with my favorite 80 year old machinist verifying everything. He doesn't let me get away with much, that's why you use old machinists.

Yes, the clutch is 228mm. I know I'm giving up a bit of friction going this direction, but it's an 1800lb car on 215/40/17s. The tires will break loose long before the clutch slips. I'm not worried about the starter ring. We're keeping the v8 flexplate/starter ring and removing everything from the flywheel that's in the way. Then I'll just stack them up on the crank flange. That'll leave me w/ most of a vr6 flywheel, vr6 pressure plate, audi tranny and a custom clutch to fit the audi shaft at the required diameter/thickness. All said and done I'm headed for about $200 for the whole mess. Compare that to the 034 solution and I'm feeling pretty good.

Something's gonna screw this plan up eventually, but that's the plan I'm taking for now.

Vehicles
      11-12-2011 01:44 PM #46
      Excellent

Nice idea stacking them together

Given that there are clutch solutions for 500hp VRTs I don't think you'll have a problem at 228mm anyway.

22. 11-12-2011 02:11 PM #47
      You stare at the VAG parts bin long enough, and drink enough beer, eventually it all makes sense

Vehicles
      11-12-2011 03:53 PM #48
      Yeah lol I need to go and find who said the VR6 was a different pattern to the V8 and poke them with a stick

Oh, and mount a V8 transversely on a VR6 transmission

24. 11-12-2011 04:22 PM #49
      V8 engine on a VR6 tranny won't work quite as well. Different bellhousing. That can be resolved with a tig and a grinder.

Vehicles
      11-12-2011 05:19 PM #50
      Its been done Can't find the picture right now though...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast