Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ignition lock cylinder how to?

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta GL 2.slow
      05-08-2011 07:56 PM #1
      does anyone know how to change the lock cylinder on a mk3 jetta? mines bad and im new to the vw game so all help is appreciated. thanks in advance everyone.

Vehicles
      97 LG5R Jetta GLS
      05-08-2011 09:14 PM #2
      Bentley manual has some pretty good instructions for it.
      We need a series like this state-side. I'm in if there is one, or will be one. VW Cup 2014/5, anyone?

Odometer: 157221mi | 246 full tanks | 77,150.0mi | 2,688.512gal | 28.69617mpg | US$0.10280/mi

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      05-08-2011 09:34 PM #3
      unplug negative batt terminal, take steering wheel off, take wiper/turn stalks off. attempt to use a puller of some sort to pull the metal housing that the ignition lock cyl is in off of the steering column. give up like i did, go ahead and grab your drill with a small bit, drill a hole, push locking pin back into ignition lock cyl, pull it out.

shove new one back in, put turn/signal stalks back on, put steering wheel back on, plug everything back up.

vague instructions which will get you through. just try to find the measurements of where to drill the hole, i think bentley has measurements for location; if not - i know somewhere online has it. lol
      '96 Golf Harlequin VR6, Chagal Blue base

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta GL 2.slow
      05-08-2011 10:09 PM #4
      ahahhh! nice thank you im waiting on the part to come in and once it does im putting it on cause im tired of mine shorting out and having to cycle the switch on an off over an over to start it haha
      once its done i'll post again to let you know how it went!

Vehicles
      97 LG5R Jetta GLS
      05-08-2011 10:42 PM #5
      The lock and housing usually doesn't have to be replaced. Your problem is most likely the switch (since you mention having to cycle it a few times), which is much easier to replace than the lock & housing.
      We need a series like this state-side. I'm in if there is one, or will be one. VW Cup 2014/5, anyone?

Odometer: 157221mi | 246 full tanks | 77,150.0mi | 2,688.512gal | 28.69617mpg | US$0.10280/mi

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      05-08-2011 11:24 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by mk3FTW. View Post
      ahahhh! nice thank you im waiting on the part to come in and once it does im putting it on cause im tired of mine shorting out and having to cycle the switch on an off over an over to start it haha
      once its done i'll post again to let you know how it went!
      yeah... don't replace the entire lock cylinder if you are having electrical-ish issues. only need to replace the lock cylinder if you are having issues with the key turning the lock.

just replace the ignition switch.
      http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...ectrical/206/4

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      05-09-2011 12:00 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by dceola View Post
      yeah... don't replace the entire lock cylinder if you are having electrical-ish issues. only need to replace the lock cylinder if you are having issues with the key turning the lock.

just replace the ignition switch.
      http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...ectrical/206/4
      Besides parts this might be able to make it easier. Don't forget to search the DIY's or the forum.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2532481
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      On a scale from flaming bag of dog poop to drunken sex with a hot stripper... your car is a case of herpes from a girl you picked up at wal mart.

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      05-09-2011 08:05 AM #8
      yep, use that DIY. I've done this twice. hardest part is getting the steering column shaft back into the u-joint and keeping that stupid effing spring in there where it's supposed to be. I've done this twice on 2 diff cars now; first time it took me about an hour.. 15mins to change the switch, 40mins to get the shaft back in the u-joint properly.. second time took me about a half hour.

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta GL 2.slow
      05-10-2011 10:43 PM #9
      Wow you guys are hero's thanks for the tips an links!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      MKIII Museum
      05-11-2011 06:22 PM #10
      If you prefer working while sitting, rather than climbing under the dash.... buy a bearing separator and a 2 jaw puller. You clamp the separator to the serrated sleeve and pull it off. It takes 5 minutes.

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta GL 2.slow
      05-13-2011 12:43 AM #11
      I gave this project my first shot today and noticed that same thing I just didn't have pullers :/
      Also I could not get the lock cylinder out for the life of me and ended up drilling 6 holes an it's still not out :fail:
      Any more tips guys?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      MKIII Museum
      05-13-2011 12:55 AM #12
      Are you changing the actual "key" part of the lock or the switch?

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta GL 2.slow
      05-13-2011 10:19 AM #13
      Both cause they're both bad I jus want to knock them out at the same time

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      05-13-2011 10:25 AM #14
      if you are doing both then just go pick up a good puller and the other thing the above guy said; take the steering wheel and turn/wiper stalks off, and pull off the metal collar thing that holds the ignition lock and switch in.

when i tried to change my ignition lock, I just had a standard 3jaw pulley puller.. and it didn't work @ all. the lip on the metal collar was so small i couldnt get it done. Def need the bearing separator to clamp around it to help pull from.

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta GL 2.slow
      05-13-2011 11:37 AM #15
      alright cool thanks for the tip. im still having a lot of trouble getting the clip on the lock cylinder to push down in order to pull the cyclinder out in the first place, like i said i have like 5 holes drilled and still cant get that b*tch out

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      05-13-2011 11:44 AM #16
      yikes.. you sure you are in the right area with the holes?

when i did mine, i drilled two times to get it right... i measured and marked the spot to drill; first hole i could see the thing to push down but couldnt get to it, second hole put me right on the nose

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta GL 2.slow
      05-13-2011 12:00 PM #17
      im pretty sure, i used a diagram but i could have had it upside down. did you drill from the top of the housing or the bottom of the housing?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      MKIII Museum
      05-13-2011 02:09 PM #18
      Look at your new lock. You'll see where the metal spring that needs to be depressed is located.
      It's 12mm in from the edge of the housing

Vehicles
      97 LG5R Jetta GLS
      05-13-2011 02:28 PM #19
      Yeah, my first housing drilling experience was a fiasco. I ended up making like four holes so close to each other that it turned into one giant hole, and even after hammering that spring on the cylinder down and bending it permanently into the "release" position, it still didn't come out. After getting the housing off, I took the switch out, put a punch on the back end of the cylinder, and gave it a good smack and it flew across the garage floor.

then after replacing the housing and the cylinder (and rearranging the pins in the new cylinder to match the old key), I installed it, but did it upside down somehow, so I had to drill a hole in the new housing to pop it out and try again and it was a bulls eye. Used a punch just to press the release spring down and pulled the cylinder right out.

Regarding that collar that is in the way, I used a 2-jaw puller. Got the grinder out to make really sharp edges on the jaws, then used my hand to hold the jaws tight and slowly pulled the collar off.

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      05-15-2011 03:52 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by mk3FTW. View Post
      im pretty sure, i used a diagram but i could have had it upside down. did you drill from the top of the housing or the bottom of the housing?
      from the Top. (top as in, if the housing were still in the car, it's on the top, facing up)

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta GL 2.slow
      05-17-2011 04:48 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Sky-Fi View Post
      Yeah, my first housing drilling experience was a fiasco. I ended up making like four holes so close to each other that it turned into one giant hole, and even after hammering that spring on the cylinder down and bending it permanently into the "release" position, it still didn't come out. After getting the housing off, I took the switch out, put a punch on the back end of the cylinder, and gave it a good smack and it flew across the garage floor.

then after replacing the housing and the cylinder (and rearranging the pins in the new cylinder to match the old key), I installed it, but did it upside down somehow, so I had to drill a hole in the new housing to pop it out and try again and it was a bulls eye. Used a punch just to press the release spring down and pulled the cylinder right out.

Regarding that collar that is in the way, I used a 2-jaw puller. Got the grinder out to make really sharp edges on the jaws, then used my hand to hold the jaws tight and slowly pulled the collar off.

that is my nightmare for this project actually haha but your experience will help me complete mine so thank you lol

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta GL 2.slow
      05-17-2011 04:49 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by dceola View Post
      from the Top. (top as in, if the housing were still in the car, it's on the top, facing up)

shoo what a relief, at least i know im in the right direction and not COMPLETELY screwing this thing up haha