Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Misfire on cylinders 1,2, and 3 NEED HELP

1. 05-10-2011 08:53 PM #1
      I am having a ton of trouble trying to diagnose my misfire problem on my 2001 Passat VR6. It is putting out codes for random multiple misfire, misfire on cylinder 1, misfire on cylinder 2, misfire on cylinder 3. I replaced the coil pack, spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, checked the compression, checked the timing, and added fuel system cleaner and so far no results. I would appreciate any input on this matter VARY VARY much. Thank you

Vehicles
      1993 Eurovan MV, 1997 Audi A4, 2000 Passat wagon 1.8t (sold) , 2002 Vw Passat 4-motion soon 2b 2.7T
      05-10-2011 09:13 PM #2
      have you checked the oil level, if its overfull i can cause misfire codes because the crankshaft hits the oil and slows down for a second....

3. 05-12-2011 12:19 PM #3
      Definitely sounds like Bank 1 Cam Adjuster. That my friend is not a fun DIY!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 passat 1.8T atw
      05-12-2011 12:35 PM #4
      I've had a misfire cylinder1 then multipule random misfire. It turned out to be my downstream o2 sensor.

5. 05-12-2011 07:32 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by DavidVR6477 View Post
      Definitely sounds like Bank 1 Cam Adjuster. That my friend is not a fun DIY!
      I dunno...cam adjuster problem should throw an over retard or over advance code...not a misfire code.

6. 05-12-2011 07:39 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by john prusinski View Post
      I've had a misfire cylinder1 then multipule random misfire. It turned out to be my downstream o2 sensor.
      That doesn't make any sense...the downstream O2 sensor only checks and reports how the upstream is performing. It does not make adjustments or have anything to do with a cylinder firing.
      Did you do the swap yourself or did a mechanic do the work and tell you this?
      I'd say he found a simple fix and then milked it for something that was throwing a code.

7. 05-31-2011 10:19 PM #7
      sorry guys i was out of the country for a while and didnt check up on my tread. But in regards to the cam shaft adjuster, i saw a post about someone having a misfire on the same cylinders and that was his problem but he also had a code for a camshaft position sensor while mine only comes up the the misfire codes for cylinders 1,2, and 3 plus the mechanic i spoke to said it would make a distinct noise which he didnt hear. As you can tell I am no expert on Volkswagens but apparently none of the technicians i brought it to are either seeing as they cant find the problem. Im just spitballing here but could it have something to do with the fuel system??

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 passat 1.8T atw
      05-31-2011 11:06 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by silverd2 View Post
      That doesn't make any sense...the downstream O2 sensor only checks and reports how the upstream is performing. It does not make adjustments or have anything to do with a cylinder firing.
      Did you do the swap yourself or did a mechanic do the work and tell you this?
      I'd say he found a simple fix and then milked it for something that was throwing a code.
      Family friend mechanic. There was no simple fix I checked everything. Took it to him he checked the codes next day he said I owed him like 70 bucks for an o2 sensor. I don't see why he would lie. He doesn't charge me for labor.

Vehicles
      1993 Eurovan MV, 1997 Audi A4, 2000 Passat wagon 1.8t (sold) , 2002 Vw Passat 4-motion soon 2b 2.7T
      05-31-2011 11:10 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by stoeger92 View Post
      sorry guys i was out of the country for a while and didnt check up on my tread. But in regards to the cam shaft adjuster, i saw a post about someone having a misfire on the same cylinders and that was his problem but he also had a code for a camshaft position sensor while mine only comes up the the misfire codes for cylinders 1,2, and 3 plus the mechanic i spoke to said it would make a distinct noise which he didnt hear. As you can tell I am no expert on Volkswagens but apparently none of the technicians i brought it to are either seeing as they cant find the problem. Im just spitballing here but could it have something to do with the fuel system??
      i take it that the car isnt skipping all the time.. Does it seem to idle rough? especially in park? I doubt it is a fuel problem, but i have seen a few plugged injectors.. but they were always just 1, never 3... If you had an electrical problem with the injectors, you would get a code. What kind of scanner are you using? The generic scanners will ignore some vw only codes... ps.. did you check the oil level? And how long after you clear the codes does it take for them to come back?

Vehicles
      05-31-2011 11:12 PM #10
      actually, i have also seen plugged cat converters generate this issue.... misfire on only one bank.. ESPECIALLY the cheapy aftermarket weld in kind.. What kind of cats do you have, and how many miles on your whip?

06-01-2011 04:02 AM #11
      Misfires can be caused by many different things. Normally plugs, and ignition coils are the cause. If you put the wrong plugs in it can do the same thing. Make sure the plugs you put in are laser tip plat. Any other type will cause misfires. Replacement coils should be factory if not same problem. Now on more rare cases catalytic converters have a problem were the inside comes apart inside. The cat willnt fail the basic settings for the rear o2 sensor. When they get really bad a fault for incorrect air flow generally will be thrown. A simple check is pull out the front o2 and run the car and see if the misfires go away. One thing that also does happen is carbon build up inside the engine. If the old plugs were covered with build up you may need to just do an induction cleaning. It works wonders for 1.8t engines.
      Dont shade tree it...

12. 06-01-2011 02:37 PM #12
      thanks so much for the replies. Im not sure what kind of diagnostic machine was used but i had it diagnosed at Nemer VW and another garage that specializes in vws, Hackels VW, so im sure they were adequate. The car runs great besides the light being on. I dont notice any loss in power or performance. I did check the oil level too and that was right where it should be. Its hard to say how long it takes for the light to come on. If I dont drive it rough, not like to do anyway, it will sometimes take up to 2 days, around 40 or 50 miles. But every time it does come on it will it will flash emissions work shop, the light will blink a few times, and then it will shut off again. This process will repeat many times. I think the most i counted was like 15 or 16 times. There is about 108,000 miles on the car right now. As for the cat, did you say that it was possible for it to not trigger the o2 sensor if it was malfunctioning? I think i answered all your questions but let me know if i left anything out. thanks again

Vehicles
      06-01-2011 04:43 PM #13
      thanks so much for the replies. Im not sure what kind of diagnostic machine was used but i had it diagnosed at Nemer VW and another garage that specializes in vws, Hackels VW, so im sure they were adequate. The car runs great besides the light being on. I dont notice any loss in power or performance. I did check the oil level too and that was right where it should be. Its hard to say how long it takes for the light to come on. If I dont drive it rough, not like to do anyway, it will sometimes take up to 2 days, around 40 or 50 miles. But every time it does come on it will it will flash emissions work shop, the light will blink a few times, and then it will shut off again. This process will repeat many times. I think the most i counted was like 15 or 16 times. There is about 108,000 miles on the car right now. As for the cat, did you say that it was possible for it to not trigger the o2 sensor if it was malfunctioning? I think i answered all your questions but let me know if i left anything out. thanks again
      id say you definately have an ignition skip... where did you get the wires, plugs, and coil pack?? when the CEL blinks, the ecm is registering misfires by watching the crankshaft speed..

14. 06-01-2011 07:02 PM #14
      well the original wires i replaced were autopart international brand...and ngk plugs, but they were replaced at Nemer with stock plugs and wires. The coil pack i got at autozone, but when i went to try to get it diagnosed at Hackels the guy tested the old coil pack and said it was fine so he put it back in.

Vehicles
      06-02-2011 09:24 AM #15
      well the original wires i replaced were autopart international brand...and ngk plugs, but they were replaced at Nemer with stock plugs and wires. The coil pack i got at autozone, but when i went to try to get it diagnosed at Hackels the guy tested the old coil pack and said it was fine so he put it back in.
      definately keep it stock, stock, stock vw parts... they HATE aftermarket parts... especially cheapy autozone advance pepboys crap

Vehicles
      09 Saab 9-3 2.0t, NA Miata 1.6, 98 Jetta K2
      06-02-2011 06:24 PM #16
      Considering it's only on one bank of cylinders, it's probably an issues with something they all have in common, such as a plugged cat, or incorrect cam timing on that bank.