Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Painting Kitchen Countertops

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T
      05-16-2011 10:13 AM #1
      So I redid most of my kitchen (painted the cabinets, new flooring, etc) a while ago, but left the laminate countertops which have a pink hue to them. I really need to do something about the countertops, but I don't have the money to replace them. I was thinking about painting them. I know there are a couple products out there like Giani and I think Rustoleum makes a countertop paint. Has anyone had any experience with painting countertops and what are some good products to use?
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      And you do realize that a guy asking on a car forum what color he should paint his bedroom and closet is pretty gay, right?
      The Marksman - Baltimore Hardcore/Punk

2. 05-16-2011 10:41 AM #2
      I can't comment on specific products, but I will say that my parents had laminate countertops and had someone come in and paint them about 12yrs ago. They held up perfectly until they were replaced with granite 2yrs ago.

Vehicles
      2006 GLI and 1987 Scirocco 16V
      05-17-2011 11:57 AM #3
      My sis and BIL close on their first house next week; we (I mean they) plan on doing the rustoleum countertop and cabinet kit as a quick update to the tired kitchen. I can update, but I'm not sure this will be done right away.

4. 05-18-2011 09:25 AM #4
      Is it a tile countertop? if it is, painting wouldn't solve the problem. If it's wood, maybe you can use paint to cover up the pink hue or whatever it was.

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T
      05-18-2011 10:55 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverStoned1.8T View Post
      So I redid most of my kitchen (painted the cabinets, new flooring, etc) a while ago, but left the laminate countertops which have a pink hue to them.
      And you do realize that a guy asking on a car forum what color he should paint his bedroom and closet is pretty gay, right?

6. Member
      05-18-2011 02:10 PM #6
      So wait, are you saying that they are corian?

near the Gandy, Frankland and Sunshine Skyway
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      05-18-2011 02:49 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      So wait, are you saying that they are corian?
      Clearly they are pink granite and he wants to turn them into white marble. Can't you read?

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T
      05-19-2011 09:29 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Clearly they are pink granite and he wants to turn them into white marble. Can't you read?
      This is exactly what I was getting at.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 BMW 325i, 2008 Yamaha R6
      05-20-2011 01:03 PM #9
      Don't paint surfaces you touch on a regular basis. I'm 100% serious about this. My landlord painted EVERYTHING in the house before we moved in, and the counters are peeling, the tile floors he painted are peeling, and it looks like ****. Seriously. Dont do it.

10. 04-23-2012 04:09 PM #10
      We painted the laminate countertops in our kitchen when we moved into our house. We used the rustoleum brand, but just got a pint of the solid color. Overall we are very happy with how they have held up. We have been in our house almost 2 years now and have re-coated 3 times (plus the initial so 4 coats) all from the same pint (granted we don't have a lot of counter space). We have seen some chipping in the high traffic area by the sink but no peeling. It is definitely not the ideal situation, but for $20 in paint it was for sure worth it for a quick fix.

Oh yeah, and we painted our cabinets...

11. 06-05-2012 09:42 PM #11
      for a quick solution the rustoleum kits work really well. I had a friend who used it on his counters. It was a cheap and easy update.