Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: supermarket shopping cart hit me rear door!!! Damage cost?

1. 05-18-2011 11:27 PM #1
      Dang it. Went to the supermarket, and on my way back to my car, I noticed this. Parking lot is sloped, shopping cart must had slamed right to the rear door. I have a 2006 B6.

How much do you think this would cost me to fix the damage, if I was to pay out of my pocket?

I also went into the store to speak to their manager. Figured that it was their shopping cart that hit my car, they might be able to pay for the damage. But the store manage was not there. Will stop by there again tomorrow. Do you think it would be legit for them to pay the damage?

Vehicles
      TR Mk6 on Oxygen
      05-18-2011 11:41 PM #2
      Ouch sorry bro!! Ya I used to work at a grocery store for 3 years. We used to pay claims all the time. I know I was a victim, but employees don't qualify, which is total bull****!! They can't really deny it. And you really need to make a big deal out of nothing so to speak. Don't be a jerk but demand they fix it tactfully, and your willing to escalate this up the corporate ladder. Speak to a store mgr or something. Not the kid left in charge. I personally would charge about $2-350, bein a body guy myself. Other shops might charge more because it's on the body line. GL bro!

Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T
      05-19-2011 01:12 AM #3
      As long as the paint is okay it should not cost too much to fix this. The door looks like it could be popped out but the chrome molding may need to be replaced.

Vehicles
      TR Mk6 on Oxygen
      05-19-2011 02:19 AM #4
      Is it just me, or does that dent Span from body line to chrome on lower door?

5. 05-19-2011 08:46 AM #5
      I am going to bring this to a local bodyshop to get an estimate, and then head over to the supermarket's store manager. Hopefully, they'll reimburse for the cost of the damage.

Yea... Looks like the chrome trim may need to be replaced. From 1stvmparts, it cost 80 dollars.

6. 05-19-2011 09:03 AM #6
      The cart bumped into the mid section of the door. This is where it has the most impact. It might be hard to get rid of that ding though. May need resurfacing and then repaint. What is the body line?

Thanks,

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat, 2.0Tsi, 2012 Passat SE w/roof, 2006 BMW Z4, 1997 Toyota Landcruiser
      05-19-2011 09:22 AM #7
      This happened to me as well and the store refused to do anything. As already mentioned, you may need to go up corporate ladder, which I did (letter to President), and I did get reimbursed. They may be more flexible to reimburse you if they offer gift cards and you exchange the damage amount for goods......much less out of pocket cost for them, of course. Good luck.
      Current: 2008 Passat (Candy White) 2.0tsi / APR Stage 1 / "ABT" style front lip / SS Tips / Drivers Gear Springs / Passat Door Sills / R-line Dead Pedal / 3M Wood Grain Dash Accents / ClearBra / 17" Monte Carlos with ContiExtreme DWS.....Current: 2012 Passat SE (Candy White).....Former: 2009 Jetta / 2003 Passat / 2003 Jetta / 2000 Jetta / 1968 Type 3 Beetle / 1965 Type 2 Microbus / 1956 Type 1 highly modified (Oval Window)

Vehicles
      Mine: 2010 Passat Hers: 2012 B8 A4
      05-19-2011 09:24 AM #8
      Paintless dent repair would be the way to go if u don't have deep scratches. If it's something that looks like it can buff out then you should look into it. GL man. Sorry to see that this has happened
      Unitronic > APR Switched from APR to UNI and never looking back
      CW '10 Passat 2.0TSI: UNI Stage 2 VMR V705 19x8.5 et45 Podi Boost gauge/pod AWE DV, Turbo Outlet Pipe BSH Boost Tap BillyBoat 3" TBE BFI Stg2 Dogbone/motor mount/trans. mount KW V2 coils Forge Twintake(1st on Passat/CC) JBL W12GTi MKII HEX+CAN vagcom, Podi.ca podi free ship code: NINOSHIP, VMR | Wheels velocitymotoring.com, VolksBHAN in September

9. 05-19-2011 09:27 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by gphin305 View Post
      This happened to me as well and the store refused to do anything. As already mentioned, you may need to go up corporate ladder, which I did (letter to President), and I did get reimbursed. They may be more flexible to reimburse you if they offer gift cards and you exchange the damage amount for goods......much less out of pocket cost for them, of course. Good luck.
      I wouldn't mind gift cards at all. Everybody's got to eat. Thanks for the hint.

10. 05-19-2011 10:38 AM #10
      I think you should be able to buy one of those dent remover kits and pop it out possibly having to replace the chrome which is cheeeeeap.

11. 05-19-2011 05:47 PM #11
      Went to a local body shop. Here is what they quoted. This is more than what I though it would be. Gosh $1500.00

It doesn't look like the supermarket would pay for the damage, since they have an outside sign that said so.

This might be a better picture taken during the day time.

Any idea what's the realistic cost to fix this dent?

Thanks,

Vehicles
      '06 Viper coupe, '07 Passat (Sport II+ all options),
      05-19-2011 06:08 PM #12
      i would inquire about a PDR (paintless dent removal) service in your area. google it, ive used it MANY times to fix damage i couldnt believe that they could remove (golf ball size creases on body lines, fenders etc).
      2006 Viper Red SRT-10 Coupe | K&N intake | Corsa Track catback & HF Cats| SCT Tuned | MGW sts | Gen V 3.55s | Eibachs & Caps | Interior bits
      2007 VW Passat 2.0TFSI Sport II| APR S2+ 23psi | Intake/Exhaust/S3 FMIC | iForged 20s | Full euro inside & out

Vehicles
      TR Mk6 on Oxygen
      05-19-2011 06:22 PM #13
      PDR is a great service. But for a dent that big it's not gonna be perfect. It's creased on 2 big parts of the vehicle. I've started training for PDR and believe me it can be done but no where near easy. Esp because you can't flub up the paint. So those guys charge just as much as a guy would to paint it because now your paying for skill. $1500 is way too much. If you were close I'd bust it out for $300 vortex special!!lol

Vehicles
      13' S5 Coupe 3.0T 6spd, 09 VW GTI 2dr, 11 VW Tiguan 2.0T 4Motion SE APR k04
      05-19-2011 07:07 PM #14
      i've had something similar to that taken out by PDR.....

That really sucks tho, sorry to see that man. i feel your pain. If ur around northern NJ i can hook u up with a PDR guy.

Vehicles
      2006 VW Passat
      05-20-2011 11:36 AM #15
      Dubman6: So those guys charge just as much as a guy would to paint it because now your paying for skill. $1500 is way too much. If you were close I'd bust it out for $300 vortex special!!lol
      i totally agree with that! its an abusif price! plus it doesnt look like your going to need repaint cuz the dents arnt square.... well from what i can see

Normal price for the rear bumper to be repainted and the new chrome peice also the door to be undented and repainted is costing me 900$ but getting it for 700$ (ohh do i ever love being a kid with an expensive car )

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      05-15-2012 11:49 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Berta06 View Post
      i totally agree with that! its an abusif price! plus it doesnt look like your going to need repaint cuz the dents arnt square.... well from what i can see

Normal price for the rear bumper to be repainted and the new chrome peice also the door to be undented and repainted is costing me 900$ but getting it for 700$ (ohh do i ever love being a kid with an expensive car )
      You and I almost match on the bumper, yours is a bit worse, but my chrome trim broke too. I just put it back in place with some silicone so it isn't too obvious, I will replace the trim when I get the chance but I'm not gonna spend the money for the bumper, because as soo as I do I know someone's gonna rear end me and I'd have wasted a new bumper.
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

Vehicles
      08 Suzuki SV650sf, 07 Passat Wagon 3.6L 4MO
      05-16-2012 12:25 AM #17
      not sure what store the person worked at that paid claims, but ive worked for the same company for 11 years now and i have never seen a shopping cart claim paid. most stores had disclaimers posted somewhere saying "not responsible to any damage caused by carts"

it is a common courtesy to return the carts inside the store or to a corral ect...the responsiblity is not on the store but on whomever left the cart there or wherever. You would have to have 10 employees working in the parking lot alone to keep track of all the carts in order to have none left randomly or sometimes taken home with ppl lol or no returned ect ect ect... I hate the way it is too sometimes bc I get dents in my cars all the time from working there. I actually just got a large one under my DS mirror on the door within the last few months!!!!!!!

either way like everyone else said PDR is much cheaper option

Vehicles
      2010 Candy White Passat 2.0 TSI
      05-16-2012 12:55 AM #18
      That looks like it was hit by a car rather than a shopping cart....
      Unitronic Stage 2 -- 42DD 3" catless downpipe -- APR Intercooler -- Unitronic Intake -- BSH Throttle Pipe -- AWE Turbo Outlet Pipe -- Votex front lip -- HiDef side skirts -- painted rear valence -- mkvi wheel w/DSG paddles -- DDM HID headlights -- Euro side markers -- Interior & licence plate LEDs -- Skyline style Euro Tail Lights -- Podi gauge and pod kit -- revision D diverter valve -- Eibach DG springs (for sale)

19. Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 08 jetta 01 jetta 98 240sx
      05-17-2012 08:36 PM #19
      happened to me too (on my car while wife was using it), on the front passenger side, same $1500 quoted to fix it

20. 05-17-2012 11:12 PM #20
      You have to go up the corporate ladder and document the hell out of your case. The store manager will stone wall you but that is his job. Step one is go back to the store and fill out sn incident rerport. I had a similar issue with a new store and poor parking lot design. Ended up with two new wheels and tires. Process took about 2 months and was painfully slow but we got through it. Don't be afraid to flex a little consumer muscle and let them know what you spend a week in their stores on groceries and how their lack or regard for their cusotmers does not reward YOUR loyalty. Don't fix anything till you make progress as they will probably want to see the car a couple of times.