Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Jetta automatic transmission shift button jammed in, broken internal shifter component

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta 2.0 FSI
      05-19-2011 08:10 AM #1
      Hi All
      I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone can help me with a recent issue I've had with my Jetta. After starting the engine last week, I went through the usual processing of pressing the brake pedal, pushing the automatic shift lever button, then attempted to shift into reverse. At this point the shifter refused to move and when I let go of the shifter button it stayed jammed in.

After many attempts to shift into reverse I called a mobile mechanic who freed the shifter however advised I needed to take it to a VW servicing center as some internal components had broken.

After dropping the car off to VW servicing, the mechanics advised that a plastic 'loop' had broken inside the shifter shaft which connects the shifter button to the shifter shaft (causing the button to jam in).
      I was told the plastic blue part at the top of the shifter was supposed to be a loop before it broke.
      I have uploaded a photo of the broken loop: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/p1010137hn.jpg
      This blue plastic loop connects to a blue plastic shaft that runs through the metal shaft of the shifter.

I'm wondering if:
      * This has happened to anyone else?

* Does anyone know how I can cheaply fix the plastic loop that has broken off? I am planning to drill a small hole through the blue plastic shaft and make my own loop using a metal wire that will be welded together (VW claims the entire shifter needs to be replaced costing ~$1500)

* How to put the external shifter mechanism back on connecting it to the makeshift loop

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I guess ideally some photos/instructions on how to take apart and put back together the external shifter mechanism

2. 05-19-2011 08:14 AM #2

is this you?

3. 01-29-2013 12:17 AM #3
      Hi Tom,

The exact same thing just happened to my 2010 Tiguan on the weekend. I just pushed the button in to put it into reverse and the lever wouldn't move and the button stayed jammed in!

How did you go with fixing yours? I think it is quite poor that Volkswagen could use such a weak part which is prone to breaking when performing the most basic and common task!

I would also like to hear from anyone else who has experienced this problem

Thank you.