Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Torque vs Horsepower

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      03-28-2012 04:16 PM #26
      Dang dude...chill out Seriously. Why did you come in here just to stir the pot? Completely unnecessary. Sorry you couldn't get the right stuff for getting power out of your IDI's but that doesn't mean others haven't.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '01 Jetta TDI

Vehicles
      00'/98' Jetta TDI
      03-28-2012 04:24 PM #27
      I really didn't mean to stir the pot like this... as you can see, I was a contributor back when the thread was new. We were talking about power output comparisons of gas vs diesel and genius Glegor felt the need to throw in the wild card of "look how much time and money I put into making an engine do something it was never designed to do" into an argument of a stock BMW diesel to a stock gasoline exotic. You throw enough time and money at anything and it can be made to go fast, that's not the point. But that nut swinging nonsense has no place in a thread like this... If I had noticed it back in May I would have commented then.

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      03-28-2012 04:29 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by 16VJohn View Post
      Troll? Here we go pal. I've been down this path before. I've had more IDIs than I can count on two hands. Me and my friends have been down the path of tuning, cat nozzles, balanced cranks, aftermarket pistons, port work, and after blowing up more turbos and crap VW transmissions than I can remember, I decided there was no turbo in existence that could be small enough to boost before 4,000rpm that could handle the boost it requires to put an IDI up near stock power outputs of better, comparatively cheap VAG engines. If you're doing it for fun, or if you are poor and in poverty and can't afford anything better, then by ALL means. But don't come in here and make outlandish claims that your car hangs with an SRT4 until third gear. The BIGGEST problem with IDI fan boys is they all seem to have an insatiable desire to exaggerate and bull ****. And don't even for one second call me a diesel or IDI hater, I love them. In fact, I don't even own any gassers anymore. Diesels ARE cool, but little dweebs like you come in here and swing your nuts around like nobody has ever done that before. News for you, kid... you're not that special and your mom hates you.
      If you didn't mean to stir the pot, then this entire post, especially the bolded section, wouldn't have been said. Please, just drop it.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '01 Jetta TDI

Vehicles
      '63 bug,'84 rabbit diesel
      04-01-2012 12:26 AM #29
      so back to the topic. torque is what gets the load moving in big trucks, and horsepower is what carries it up the hill. . think about it how can a 400 hp cummins start a fully loaded truck and trailer from a stop. you know a chevy 350 rated at 400 hp couldn't even get the trailer to move. driver's constantly want more horsepower so when they come to a hill they can make it up the hill faster and in a higher gear. that's why there is 500+ hp motors now.
      I didn't do much today, but i'am going to give it hell tomorrow.

Vehicles
      00'/98' Jetta TDI
      04-01-2012 04:27 PM #30
      Cummins powered semi has an 18 speed gearbox, that's how.

Vehicles
      97 Trek, 81 Jetta, 81 Rabbit
      04-01-2012 04:32 PM #31
      Torque is more of an imaginary number that hardly means ****. If a cars peak hp is above 5250 then its peak torque will be lower than its peak hp if its peak hp is below 5250 then the peak torque number will be higher. But they're a measure of two different things in two different units so they're not really even comparable. Torque is the measure of how much rotating force can be applied, but It does not have time factored in to it. Hp is an actual measure of power like a kilowatt. It's a measure of how much work can be done with a certain period of time. Ok so let's say a tdi has some crazy looking torque curve that's very high down low and then flattens out and drops off as it approaches 5000 rpms. But u look at the hp curve and it's flat the whole way up. Well when u actually drive the car it's like it feels all fast at the bottom end and then progressively pulls less and less. It feels the way the hp curve looks, like a freight train smoothly and evenly until hp drops off. U might call it torque because it has a lot of power down low but the power is what moves the car. Torque is just a part of the mathematic equation for power
      ..........___..................___..............._ __
      ......._//_|_\__........._//_|_\__........//|_|_\__
      ......|_@_|_|@|..O0o|_@_|_|@|..O0o|@_|_|@|

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12