Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to remove cigarette lighter socket?

Vehicles
      '92 Golf 1,8 8v "Pasadena"
      05-22-2011 11:39 AM #1
      I'm trying to remove the cigarette lighter socket from my center console. I have managed to remove the small plastic piece that holds the tiny bulb, and loosen the socket unit with the green plastic sorround, but when I try to pull it out it stops after ca. 1cm (or 0.4"). Does anyone here know how to remove the socket and sorrounding parts without damaging them?

If someone wonders why I want to remove the cigarette lighter socket, it is because my car had a severe leak from the heater core. This caused the car to smell of antifreeze. After I took the plastic parts of the ventilation system out again() and washed them in the bathtub with some dishwashing liquid, the car smelled much better. Now I want to wash the console before I put it back in, but I dont want to get the electrical parts in the lighter socket to get wet, as it might cause them to corrode and cause crappy connections.
      Last edited by perdaniel; 05-22-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling errors

2. 05-22-2011 05:53 PM #2
      had that problem before...after removing the plastic that holds the bulb you have to push it to pop out..try twisting it while pushing..apply a little lubricat to free it completely.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      A4 B5 V6
      05-22-2011 07:49 PM #3
      Wash it and blow it off with some compressed air and you'll be fine.