Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: Would ever own a Station/Sports Wagon?

Voters
    563. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes and I currently own one

196 34.81%
    • I don't currently own one, but I like them and would consider one

349 61.99%
    • No, I've never cared for the way they look

18 3.20%
    Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Would ever own a Station/Sports Wagon?

Vehicles
      2014 E250 Bluetec, 2015 Transit 350 Wagon
      05-26-2011 03:13 AM #251
      This one is faster than most coupes

Last edited by QUATTR0; 05-26-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Vehicles
      2 currently , but always looking for the next project . .
      05-26-2011 07:49 AM #252
      1995.5 Audi S6 Avant . . Awesome Car . . I had the sedan version since i could never get my hands on one that was in my price range and unmolested. .

Or how about a 68' GTX with the 440 6pack . .

2003 VW GTI TDI,PP764's,VNT17,OldMan TIP, Euro HID's,BBK,Pump deuce,MAF-less tune
      2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen DSG
      2002 VW Passat Wagon 1.8t(sold)_l_2001 Audi A4 (sold) _l_ 1999 Audi A8 (sold) _l_ 1993 Audi //S4 500+hp headache (sold)
      Diesel-Dub Club #7

Vehicles
      '01 BMW 740i Sport, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      05-26-2011 07:51 AM #253
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      But your friend has to live with the daily annoyance of driving a Lexus RX

We obviously have different priorities. I just feel like it's a simple decision to want to deal with the occasional inconvenience to drive a car that turns/rides/stops/goes better at all times. I guess to each his own, but I hope to never get to the point in my life where I value sitting up high and pothole invulnerability over actually driving
      Here's an idea, an SUV for sitting high and pothole driving and a, get this, SPOTS CAR for actual "driving." No compromises on a car that's halfway one or the other. I said I'd own a wagon again, but the fact is, if you're not going to have more than one vehicle (and many here do have more than one vehicle) or you don't want to compromise, then I'd have vehicles that had specific tasks. And oh, guess what, I DO. I have an SUV for comfortable winter driving and towing and carrying taller loads than a wagon in inclement weather. I have a pickup for hauling bigger loads and home depot runs. I have a sedan for carrying people and good handling (modded for such) and I have a sporty GT for fun driving. No need for a single car that does each one of those things ALMOST good.

I actually LIKE driving the Range Rover and will miss it when it's gone. It handles very well (and more than good enough at any sort of highway and street speed it'll be driven at), is comfortable, is useful and clears taller snow and rough roads better than a wagon, and tows more. I've had wagons, and while they are nice, they are compromises that are almost as good at the things the specific vehicles they are emulating are good at.

I'd still own one, especially a cool older one, or even for the hell of it, and Audi RS or built up turbo Volvo. But it would't be because it's in any way as good at being an SUV as an SUV or as good at being a sports car as a sports car.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '65 Beetle
      05-26-2011 07:55 AM #254
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      I'd own a wagon before I'd own a crossover/SUV.
      Yup. There are some fast good looking wagons on the market.
      coolwater

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Jenks
      lol an owner of a MK3 and then MKV has no right to speak in public.
      you drive an egg on wheels. eggman.

Vehicles
      2008 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE coupe
      05-26-2011 08:13 AM #255
      Would love to own a CTS/CTS-V wagon.

Now here's a conundrum for TCL..

Is this a hatch or a wagon?

Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      troll troll troll your boat, gently down the stream, merrily merrily merrily, life is about extremes.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      05-26-2011 08:15 AM #256
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      It handles very well (and more than good enough at any sort of highway and street speed it'll be driven at), is comfortable, is useful and clears taller snow and rough roads better than a wagon, and tows more.
      I couldn't get my camera out fast enough a while ago, when I passed a 1.8(no T) Passat towing a full trailer with an E-Class wagon on it. The Polos towing horse trailers aren't that exciting any more.

A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

Vehicles
      '77 Bronco '85 Toyota 4x4 '87 930 '01 325i '08 Xterra
      05-26-2011 08:21 AM #257
      Quote Originally Posted by audibing View Post
      Or how about a 68' GTX with the 440 6pack . .
      Awesome.

This is cool too, a '71 Mercury Cyclone.

Why do all wagon threads devolve into a few users telling us that wagons don't handle as good as sports cars or have as much ground clearance as SUVs?

http://www.audiomicro.com/free-full-...ownload-659230

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      05-26-2011 09:03 AM #258
      Here's an idea, an SUV for sitting high and pothole driving and a, get this, SPOTS CAR for actual "driving." No compromises on a car that's halfway one or the other. I said I'd own a wagon again, but the fact is, if you're not going to have more than one vehicle (and many here do have more than one vehicle) or you don't want to compromise, then I'd have vehicles that had specific tasks. And oh, guess what, I DO. I have an SUV for comfortable winter driving and towing and carrying taller loads than a wagon in inclement weather. I have a pickup for hauling bigger loads and home depot runs. I have a sedan for carrying people and good handling (modded for such) and I have a sporty GT for fun driving. No need for a single car that does each one of those things ALMOST good.

I actually LIKE driving the Range Rover and will miss it when it's gone. It handles very well (and more than good enough at any sort of highway and street speed it'll be driven at), is comfortable, is useful and clears taller snow and rough roads better than a wagon, and tows more. I've had wagons, and while they are nice, they are compromises that are almost as good at the things the specific vehicles they are emulating are good at.

I'd still own one, especially a cool older one, or even for the hell of it, and Audi RS or built up turbo Volvo. But it would't be because it's in any way as good at being an SUV as an SUV or as good at being a sports car as a sports car.
      Again, I said I don't understand CUVs, not real SUVs. A Range Rover can do a whole bunch of stuff a wagon can't, and it actually rides well and looks good. A Honda CRV or Toyota Rav4 (or Lexus RX) don't do anything well at all compared to a similar wagon

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      05-26-2011 09:25 AM #259
      Quote Originally Posted by deftonesfan867 View Post
      Would love to own a CTS/CTS-V wagon.

Now here's a conundrum for TCL..

Is this a hatch or a wagon?

[Malibu Maxx]

The Malibu Maxx is definitely a 'tweener, but it is effectively more of a wagon. Other in-between vehicles:

One looks more like a wagon, one looks more like a hatch, but the one that looks like a hatch actually has a longer cargo area. One TCLer famously coined the P5 a "hatchamawagon" because of its wagon looks yet hatch proportions.

05-26-2011 09:51 AM #260
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Ya, but if you're gonna drop that much dough on a performance car, why buy a wagon?

I could get on board with cheap wagons, but luxury sport wagons are an oxymoron that make no sense to me. It's in the same boat as the Jeep SRT8, Ram SRT10, or Cayenne S. Don't think I'd ever be interested in a purposeless vehicle like that. WRX maybe, but I consider that more of a five door hatchback.
      Where does that leave most sedans? We've been on this ride before, but proper wagons (meaning based on a sedan counterpart) typically add between 80-150 lbs (insignificant unless you are racing for pink slips) and they add it exactly where a sedan needs it. To me, a sedan is the pointless vehicle, because it reduces rear passenger comfort, and has needlessly limited cargo space.

So man up and reveal what you drive.
      1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

05-26-2011 10:05 AM #261
      What I've come to realize over the years is that what we all enjoy about driving is different. Since we can never have the vehicle that is perfect for the condition we are in at every moment, we all have to make compromises that make us happiest, or, make us the least unhappy when dealing with bad driving conditions. The vehicle we ultimately choose to drive is often a reflection of what we envision the perfect driving moment to be.

For some people, that moment is all about the twists and turns of back roads and perhaps they are single and rarely haul stuff - for them a sports car is the best choice.

Others drive in traffic and rough city streets every day, and for them, a comfortable vehicle that rides smooth and has good visibility is best at minimizing the hassles and stress. They might choose a comfortable SUV.

For others they want the freedom to go wherever the road might take them, even when the pavement ends. They might also choose an SUV or lifted vehicle that still drives nicely every day.

For me, while I love the twists and turns, I've learned that most of my driving time is now short trips between 1 and 8 hours, mostly in the NE. With two dogs, and a love for bicycles, skiing, and driving, a wagon is perfect for me because I get most of the handling of a good car, with enough utility to always get to drive a car I love. A sports car is great, but it's no fun if you always leave it home because you can't fit your stuff.

I'm sure you all have your own ideal motoring vision, and that vision is reflected in the cars you own.
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      05-26-2011 10:49 AM #262
      I don't think anyone would argue that the best performing car would inherently be a single-seater, purpose-built racing car, something like an F1 car. The most space efficient vehicle (most interior room for a given footprint) is inherently a one-box vehicle, something like a van (mini or cargo). Everthing else in between is somewhat of a compromise of space, performance, and efficiency.

A sports car compromises space for performance relative to a sports coupe. A sports coupe sacrifices space for performance relative to a sports sedan. A sports sedan compromises space for performance relative to a sports wagon. What's tricky is that a lot of times there's a BIG performance (size, weight influenced) difference between a sports car and sports coupe, yet often the actual performance difference between a sports sedan and a sports wagon is relatively narrow, despite giving up a LOT of practicality.

Everything's a compromise, but some vehicles are better compromised than others

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      05-26-2011 10:57 AM #263
      Some of us pay for parking by the spot.
      It is to each his own. I like a wagon because I can carry my track tires and tools with ease. No fussing around with tire trailers or futzing with seats, it is just there. Also carrying other crap.
      I also like that it is hilarious. I can and have carried 4 people around an autocross course at speed. Fast wagons just have surprise factor that something like a 350z or even a WRX won't have.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Vehicles
      '96 MK3 GTI VR6
      05-26-2011 11:25 AM #264

Rare Subaru Twin Turbo Wagon Legacy GT awd 5 speed

15. 05-26-2011 11:33 AM #265
      I'm in the "two cars" camp.

You should have bought a cheaper house if you have to make compromises on your sport vehicle so badly that it ends up being a wagon.

If you're buying and hauling so much stuff that you can't afford a dedicated people/stuff mover, then you did it wrong. By dedicated people/stuff mover, I mean a SUV or pickup truck. Most wagons don't cut it. I consider the Forrester to be a SUV.

Home depot delivers and rents trucks by the day and the best camping trips are the ones without a ton of stuff. Dudes in bands should have vans.

16. 05-26-2011 11:36 AM #266
      I agree with your statement. Traditionally, performance and looks have not been associated with wagons, but rather their coupe, or even their sedan counterparts, at least in the US (cant speak for other countries). I still cant help but think when seeing someone with a sporty wagon that they really wanted the sedan or coupe, but settled for the wagon due to practicality purposes. I never see it as the first choice, and based on people ive met with wagons, im usually right

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNoGo View Post
      I don't think anyone would argue that the best performing car would inherently be a single-seater, purpose-built racing car, something like an F1 car. The most space efficient vehicle (most interior room for a given footprint) is inherently a one-box vehicle, something like a van (mini or cargo). Everthing else in between is somewhat of a compromise of space, performance, and efficiency.

A sports car compromises space for performance relative to a sports coupe. A sports coupe sacrifices space for performance relative to a sports sedan. A sports sedan compromises space for performance relative to a sports wagon. What's tricky is that a lot of times there's a BIG performance (size, weight influenced) difference between a sports car and sports coupe, yet often the actual performance difference between a sports sedan and a sports wagon is relatively narrow, despite giving up a LOT of practicality.

Everything's a compromise, but some vehicles are better compromised than others

17. 05-26-2011 11:42 AM #267
      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      Where does that leave most sedans? We've been on this ride before, but proper wagons (meaning based on a sedan counterpart) typically add between 80-150 lbs (insignificant unless you are racing for pink slips) and they add it exactly where a sedan needs it. To me, a sedan is the pointless vehicle, because it reduces rear passenger comfort, and has needlessly limited cargo space.

So man up and reveal what you drive.
      Miata. All though I don't know how much I can man up while at the same time admitting I drive a Miata.

Vehicles
      Scirocco 16v, E34 540i
      05-26-2011 11:48 AM #268

You should have bought a cheaper house if you have to make compromises on your sport vehicle so badly that it ends up being a wagon.

If you're buying and hauling so much stuff that you can't afford a dedicated people/stuff mover, then you did it wrong. By dedicated people/stuff mover, I mean a SUV or pickup truck. Most wagons don't cut it. I consider the Forrester to be a SUV.

Home depot delivers and rents trucks by the day and the best camping trips are the ones without a ton of stuff. Dudes in bands should have vans.
      This post makes absolutely no sense. I need ibuprofen.
      The blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad.

Tschüß Gilda, Hallo Birgit

Vehicles
      2 currently , but always looking for the next project . .
      05-26-2011 11:56 AM #269

Home depot delivers and rents trucks by the day and the best camping trips are the ones without a ton of stuff. .
      I was at Lowes a few years ago when I still had my 1999 A8 , i went in for a garden hose reel and a couple odds n ends . . I walked out with that at 4 2x4's . .The lumber went in the car and laid from the dashboard to the rear deck against the back window. .A few passersby were laughing when they saw that . .No Lowes rental truck needed that day ,Granted it wasnt the safest method for my 1 mile drive home. .
      2003 VW GTI TDI,PP764's,VNT17,OldMan TIP, Euro HID's,BBK,Pump deuce,MAF-less tune
      2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen DSG
      2002 VW Passat Wagon 1.8t(sold)_l_2001 Audi A4 (sold) _l_ 1999 Audi A8 (sold) _l_ 1993 Audi //S4 500+hp headache (sold)
      Diesel-Dub Club #7

Vehicles
      '03 S2K '12 Focus
      05-26-2011 11:58 AM #270

Can somebody please translate? I don't speak ADHD.
      ├┼┤2003 S2000 | 2012 Focus SE Sport (2011-2014) | 2009 G8 GT (2011-2011) | 2008 R32 (2007-2011) | 2006 GTI (2006-2007) | 2001 A4 (2002-2006)
      SAVETHERING

21. 05-26-2011 11:58 AM #271
      Quote Originally Posted by audibing View Post
      I was at Lowes a few years ago when I still had my 1999 A8 , i went in for a garden hose reel and a couple odds n ends . . I walked out with that at 4 2x4's . .The lumber went in the car and laid from the dashboard to the rear deck against the back window. .A few passersby were laughing when they saw that . .No Lowes rental truck needed that day ,Granted it wasnt the safest method for my 1 mile drive home. .
      I've brought home 2X4s, 8 foot christmas trees, entire set of wheels, etc, etc. in my Miata. Just a couple bolts and you can remove the passenger seat, carry a bunch of stuff. : )

22. 05-26-2011 12:01 PM #272
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Woo View Post
      Can somebody please translate? I don't speak ADHD.
      Translation: I've never owned a wagon or reached a point in my life when I facepalmed and said "Oh my god why hath thou forsaken me, I needeth a wagon, yet I have none." and had to walk out of a store because I couldn't find a way to get my TV home.

Vehicles
      MK5R32 / S6AVANT / MK4GLI
      05-26-2011 12:07 PM #273
      Hell yes I would...and do.

05-26-2011 12:11 PM #274
      Old:

Current:
      Current: 2015 BMW F80 M3 - 2004 VW Jetta Wagon
      Past: 2014 BMW X1 Xdrive28i - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon 5MT - 2004 BMW 330i ZHP - 2002.5 VW Passat GLX Wagon - 2007 BMW 335i Coupe 6MT - 1991 BMW 325ix Coupe - 2003 VW Jetta 1.8t

05-26-2011 12:40 PM #275
      Miata. All though I don't know how much I can man up while at the same time admitting I drive a Miata.

Anyhow, I think even you could see that a Miata might not be a great choice for a 5 hour, mostly interstate drive in which you'd like to bring a couple of bikes, for example. Yet I'd rather be driving the wagon than an SUV or minivan, because in the 20-30% of the trip where the road is interesting, I have a decent handling car, and the seats and ergonomics are perfect for the point and shoot section.
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast