Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Consumption - 09 Routan 3.8L 30K miles

Vehicles
      90 Cabby, CRoutan
      07-16-2012 06:36 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by theox View Post
      same problem here... V3.8 Routan SE 1999 44K, dealer serviced till 36K.

The dealer is doing the "test" so I'll check back in 30 days.

It's a very nice van. I really hope VW comes through and takes care of it's customers and we can put this behind us.
      My van has 44090 Miles on it !

I see a Trend Forming !!!!

PS , what is the Build Date on your Routan ?

Vehicles
      90 Cabby, CRoutan
      07-16-2012 07:05 PM #37
      Its a List of T&Cs and Caravans with the same issue.

It is time for a class action law SUIT !

http://repairpal.com/reasons-for-exc...onsumption-167

Vehicles
      88 rocco,87 rocco,13 jetta TDI
      07-24-2012 11:11 PM #38
      my 09 with 60k burn about 1qts in 3k miles, i would like togo longer but the oil is very dirty around that miles. so i take it in and have the oil change.
      Last edited by mrmomo; 08-02-2012 at 11:07 AM.
      Never be afraid to fail, yet let your failure be your motivation to succeed

Vehicles
      90 Cabby, CRoutan
      08-09-2012 12:55 PM #39
      After my 3rd and Final time of having an oil consumption test, my dealer needed to keep it over night for a "specialty test"

They would not disclose what kind of test was preformed, but the car needed to stay over night, and the battery and fuse box showed signs of work being done.

After the test was performed, VWoA contacted me and stated that i will need to have my engine rebuilt, from the ground up.

New Rings, Seals, Bearings Etc.

A Loaner car will be given while the work is being done, with an estimate of 1-2 weeks of work to be done.

I guess Persistence does pay off... i just dont have the warm and fuzzy feeling here having the local dealer do this type of work. Hope they dont eff it up even worse.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Passat GLS TDI, 2009 Routan SEL
      08-09-2012 02:25 PM #40
      Tell them you don't really need the 3.8L and a 3.6L will do just fine, and ask if they'll drop a 3.6L in there and re-flash the TCU for you.

Seriously, congratulations. Sounds like where you were at that the VW dealership re-build is a better option than the alternative. Perhaps try to negotiate something a bit longer than the typical 12mo/12k mile dealership repair warranty and see if they will throw in the VWoA extended warranty for the inconvenience. It doesn't cost them that much. (Not sure if you said you already have the extended warranty.)

Vehicles
      90 Cabby, CRoutan
      08-10-2012 07:56 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Zambee500 View Post
      Tell them you don't really need the 3.8L and a 3.6L will do just fine, and ask if they'll drop a 3.6L in there and re-flash the TCU for you.

Seriously, congratulations. Sounds like where you were at that the VW dealership re-build is a better option than the alternative. Perhaps try to negotiate something a bit longer than the typical 12mo/12k mile dealership repair warranty and see if they will throw in the VWoA extended warranty for the inconvenience. It doesn't cost them that much. (Not sure if you said you already have the extended warranty.)
      Im pretty happy that SOMETHING is being done. Rather than just dismissing my concerns (as usual)

It just figures that when i really LIKE a vehicle, something like this happens. I already stresses my concerns of WHO is actually doing the work, since my local dealership is not a engine machine shop, and they already said, in multiple times, that they will be doing the engine work at the dealer.

I will make damn sure that I receive a list of parts to be installed, and i will demand that the engine cyl bores be Honed by a Machine shop before putting in new rings.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      58 Ragtop Bug, 2005 Passat Wagon, 2010 Routan SEL
      08-10-2012 10:03 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by redzone98 View Post
      Im pretty happy that SOMETHING is being done. Rather than just dismissing my concerns (as usual)

It just figures that when i really LIKE a vehicle, something like this happens. I already stresses my concerns of WHO is actually doing the work, since my local dealership is not a engine machine shop, and they already said, in multiple times, that they will be doing the engine work at the dealer.

I will make damn sure that I receive a list of parts to be installed, and i will demand that the engine cyl bores be Honed by a Machine shop before putting in new rings.

Seems crazy to me that in this day and age that they would do a rebuild inhouse rather than to drop in a crate motor. As posted before---have them check the heads as that was the result of another oil burner. If your down that far they might as well---and if they don't put up a stink or find a reputable shop that will redo the heads for you and do a valve job to ensure EVERYTHING is covered so it hopefully won't consume as much oil. Glad to hear your getting results---persistance pays
      1958 VW Ragtop Bug
      2005 VW Passat Wagon
      2010 VW Routan SEL

Be sure to check out the Original Routan Dead Pedal Click Here

Vehicles
      90 Cabby, CRoutan
      08-11-2012 06:30 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by 58kafer View Post
      Seems crazy to me that in this day and age that they would do a rebuild inhouse rather than to drop in a crate motor. As posted before---have them check the heads as that was the result of another oil burner. If your down that far they might as well---and if they don't put up a stink or find a reputable shop that will redo the heads for you and do a valve job to ensure EVERYTHING is covered so it hopefully won't consume as much oil. Glad to hear your getting results---persistance pays
      kinda bugs me that they are not just using the motor as a complete LRU. But i guess with the cost of a new crate motor, it is still cheaper for them to eat the hours of labor to put in new rings. ALL the parts cant be more than 500-600$ Retail.

Vehicles
      '13 Touareg VR6, '12 Golf R,'12 LEAF, '08 smart
      08-15-2012 10:20 AM #44
      as Chrysler is having some issues with the 'new' Pentastar engines as well ...

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...n=awdailydrive

Vehicles
      2004 MKIV Jetta GLS, 2009 Routan Comfortline 4.0L w/ RSE, 2011 Jetta VI Trendline+
      08-15-2012 11:20 AM #45
      Makes me glad that I have the 4.0 and it's been flawless... (touch wood)
      VW 4 Life... For life, that's what the ex said... but i mean it...

Vehicles
      '13 Touareg VR6, '12 Golf R,'12 LEAF, '08 smart
      08-16-2012 10:36 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by PaulAP View Post
      Makes me glad that I have the 4.0 and it's been flawless... (touch wood)
      same here, have an '09 4.0L SEL --- how many miles on your so far? mine is only at 23K so perhaps too soon to tell

12. Member
      Vehicles
      58 Ragtop Bug, 2005 Passat Wagon, 2010 Routan SEL
      08-16-2012 12:40 PM #47
      We have 36K on our 4.0 in under 2 years. Oil is always to the top of the line on the dipstick @ 6K intervals. What's even stranger is, the damn oil still looks clean, compared to some vehicles at 3K.
      1958 VW Ragtop Bug
      2005 VW Passat Wagon
      2010 VW Routan SEL

Be sure to check out the Original Routan Dead Pedal Click Here

Vehicles
      2004 MKIV Jetta GLS, 2009 Routan Comfortline 4.0L w/ RSE, 2011 Jetta VI Trendline+
      08-16-2012 12:41 PM #48
      I've only had mine for the summer. I'm the second owner. It's an 09 Comfortline
      with RSE1. It currently has just over 40,000 kms, the last 4,000 kms are all mine.

Lot's of road trips (that's why we bought it)

Usage will go down during the winter, as we don't venture out as far in the snow.
      I have been monitoring all fluids, tires, brakes etc., and no issues anywhere.
      VW 4 Life... For life, that's what the ex said... but i mean it...

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Nocturne Black 2009 VW Routan SEL/RSE, Cinnamon 2010 Lincoln MKX AWD
      08-16-2012 09:35 PM #49
      Don't want to jinx it, but our 4.0 has also been flawless for the 1st 47.5K. Castrol GTX 10W-30 every 3K or 3months, whichever comes 1st.

Vehicles
      90 Cabby, CRoutan
      08-21-2012 09:03 AM #50
      it does seem like the 4.0L was a great motor for this van.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Passat GLS TDI, 2009 Routan SEL
      08-21-2012 02:23 PM #51
      I've got 4.0L approaching 63k miles and I do have to add a little bit of oil between oil changes. But not like what people are reporting on the 3.8L motor. I'm adding around a quart between oil changes, and getting 5-6k miles on each OCI. I just added 1/4 or 1/3 of a quart yesterday to top up to the "full" line. I might have the PCV valve replaced at the next maintenance interval though, as the rings/bearings/seals don't seem to be the problem with the oil consumption on the 4.0L.

Vehicles
      90 Cabby, CRoutan
      09-20-2012 10:30 AM #52
      Well it seems like all of my ranting (and the obvious fact) is finally paying off. The dealer will replace the Piston rings in the next few weeks.

Fingers Crossed !~

Vehicles
      90 Cabby, CRoutan
      11-06-2012 12:36 PM #53
      Well it seems like all of my ranting (and the obvious fact) is finally paying off. The dealer will replace the Piston rings in the next few weeks.

Fingers Crossed !~

Piston Rings replaced, valve stem seals replace, Engine feels MUCh stronger now, and the idle is smoother.

Checked the oil level after 500 miles and it is dead nuts where it was.

I actually think after 39 months of ownership, this car is acting like it should

Vehicles
      90 Cabby, CRoutan
      01-08-2014 12:55 PM #54
      Piston Rings replaced, valve stem seals replace, Engine feels MUCh stronger now, and the idle is smoother.

Checked the oil level after 500 miles and it is dead nuts where it was.

I actually think after 39 months of ownership, this car is acting like it should

Just wanted to do an Update here:

Jan 08 2014.

The Routan has been acting like it should. Oil consumption is at .25 QT PER 3000 MILES ! So basically this motor has been cured of its oil consumption woes!

Just FYI, I Am using CONVENTIONAL 10w30 Oil, Mobil. and oil changes are at 3000 miles. I figure that ancient engine technology, (Pushrods, non-MAF) deserves Ancient oil technology.
      #projectcabby

20. 01-11-2014 11:45 AM #55
      We have a 2010 3.8l with 110,000 miles on it and no oil issues. I usually check it after a few days of driving post oil change and about 1000 miles post and there is no noticeable drop. I recently checked just before an oil change maybe 400 miles before and it was full. Car has had oil changes every 6k it's whole life.

Vehicles
      90 Cabby, CRoutan
      01-11-2014 12:30 PM #56
      thats good news there routan2010se , i guess your point was in 2010 the problem was fixed ?

according to the Mopar forums, there was a bad batch of piston rings from 2008 that were used in the 3.8L motors. some even say that the rings were good, but were installed upside down at the factory.

but, it IS the internet, so believe what you may.
      #projectcabby

22. 01-11-2014 04:27 PM #57
      thats good news there routan2010se , i guess your point was in 2010 the problem was fixed ?

according to the Mopar forums, there was a bad batch of piston rings from 2008 that were used in the 3.8L motors. some even say that the rings were good, but were installed upside down at the factory.

but, it IS the internet, so believe what you may.
      Not sure Just wanted to throw a data point, maybe I am more of the exception than the rule. Maybe it is a manufacturing issue and was fixed for 2010 or not and I am just lucky.

Either way it sounds to me that it is just something to keep an eye on. In all my years of wrenching I had a lot of high milage cars when I was younger and those I always usually had to carry a quart or 2 around and top off once in a while between the 3k oil changes. As I could afford better cars as I got older I gravitated to european makes and other than turbos, never seemed to have any oil consumption issues. Now I just think it is a Chrysler engine thing and is normal for most of their cars, all this time I have assumed cars were getting better, but this is the first american product I have owned in 20+ years.

I think it is funny that american cars get the DVD/TVs, Cup holders, automatic doors, ridiculous remote car start and key fob performance, super cold A/C and other non-essential functions 110% but when it comes down to the things that matter they still seem to be lacking and not improved over all this time.
      Last edited by routan2010se; 01-11-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Vehicles
      90 Cabby, CRoutan
      01-15-2014 01:06 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by routan2010se View Post

I think it is funny that american cars get the DVD/TVs, Cup holders, automatic doors, ridiculous remote car start and key fob performance, super cold A/C and other non-essential functions 110% but when it comes down to the things that matter they still seem to be lacking and not improved over all this time.
      Sooooooo True. Polishing a turd.
      #projectcabby

24. 01-22-2014 10:37 AM #59
      I think some of the claims that the Chrysler engines are somehow the only product line with these issues is very misleading. You need to go search about all the other brands with even more issues. The Toyota Camry and Tacoma have a lot of complaining on their forums about this and complaints filed with NHTSA. BMW has a model that they ended up recalling and have extended warranties due to oil consumption. I can't remember who, but one person made a claim that a good engine, like ford, is known because it's used for a long time. But then claims that Chrysler's engines in the Routan are old technology. Rather inconsistent argument.

I searched the Chrysler van forum and compared that to others and the failure rate, which isn't really a failure, isn't much different than anyone else. I think you get some folks that see their oil go down and freak out that something's wrong. Never mind that they may have not measured it correctly. And of all the years this forum has been up, I have only read one person that claimed oil caused engine failure. A little overblown from my perspective.

Vehicles
      90 Cabby, CRoutan
      01-22-2014 04:18 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Steveaut View Post
      I have only read one person that claimed oil caused engine failure. A little overblown from my perspective.
      when you pay, in excess of 30 thousand dollars for a new vehicle, at the very LEAST should be the concerns of adding oil on a weekly basis to prevent engine damage.

my little 16,000 dollar ford fiesta uses NO oil, and return almost 80HP per Liter. I expect better as i pour out the $$$.
      #projectcabby

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12