Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: swapping motors

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-03-2011 08:42 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by eatrach View Post
      I graduated last year with an RN degree. Taking the NCLEX test was a pain. Those pharmaceutical questions where more like: "What the heck is this med?" "I don't remember this med".
      Good luck in school
      hahaha dude i know, there's going to be so many medicines it's going to take a long time to remembered them. My friend who's there now claims to study 10hrs A DAY He might be exaggerating though...we shall see in the fall.

Anyway, progress so far today isn't much. Just torqued all the mounts up and started putting some little things back together. Doing a quick beer run right now then i'm bolting the axles back up and the exhaust manifold to the cat then connecting more sensors. pics will be up later tonight

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      06-03-2011 10:40 PM #72
      we'll be waiting...

so, do you need any more specs?

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-04-2011 03:06 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by thygreyt View Post
      we'll be waiting...

so, do you need any more specs?
      haha thanks again man for sending all those specs. I got a little problem going on though. I looked up the torque specs on the front axles and it said on a few sites that it is 51.6 ft lbs. Well, I started torquing them down and i snapped two bolts So yea...anyone know why that happened?

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      06-04-2011 04:10 PM #74
      tranny axles?

did i sent you the specs for that?? if not, then let me know, and i'll send em to you in 5

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-04-2011 04:27 PM #75
      tranny axles?

did i sent you the specs for that?? if not, then let me know, and i'll send em to you in 5
      Yup the tranny axles..I didn't see the specs in the PDFs you sent. I looked online at a couple sites and it said that the torque is 70nm/51.4xx ft lbs. Let me know if that's what you find too. I just got to work so I'll be bartending most of the night. If you post on here I can check back periodically thoughout the night. Thanks fred

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      06-05-2011 09:12 AM #76
      looking, and sending the thing now.

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-05-2011 11:08 AM #77
      thanks Fred.

Sorry everyone if it seems the thread died down a bit. I will put a bunch of pictures up today to compensate for that I thought that the weekend would result in a lot of work getting down, but instead it was just the opposite so far. Today is the day though to get a lot done while the girlfriend is at work.

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-05-2011 10:45 PM #78
      Well here is the weekend update. As mentioned last week, i thought that i would have the car done by today...but that didn't happen. I'm kinda disappointed but oh well.

As of tonight - I got everything hooked back up and ready to go. I put new oil and filter in the car and now just need to bleed the trans and add the brake fluid and coolant.

I besides breaking two axle bolts yesterday, i ran into two more problems...one small and one kinda big

I'll start with the small one...i lost the C clip for this sensor, which held me up from bleeding the trans and re-filling. don't ask how that happened, but it did. Now i have to go to the dealership and explain to those idiots what i need but all they're going to keep asking me is for the damn part number I went there one time to try and buy the black Wolfsburg grill and the parts guy just kept telling me he needs the part number to know what i'm talking about...so i can only imagine what tomorrow's going to be like

And now the main problem...My clutch cables seem to be stuck or twisted inside or something! Here's what happened: When putting the engine back into the car, I didn't realize that the clutch cable bracket was jammed behind the engine as we were pushing it back in. This resulted in bending the bracket a little and pulling the cables out. I was able to forcefully push them back in so that they will sit on the shifter as they're supposed to, but when i move my shifter to test it I can only put it in 2nd and 4th gear. I can not push up into 1st, 3rd, 5th and barley into the neutral position Here is the pic of the cable coming out into the bay...you can see that they were pulled out and pushed the firewall down.

I'm not sure what to do to fix the cables. anyone have any suggestions?
      Last edited by pennsydubbin; 06-05-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Vehicles
      '09 VW Jetta 2.5L auto
      06-05-2011 11:02 PM #79
      ouch. But hey, look at the bright side, YOU HAVE IT BACK TOGETHER!!!!
      I tried to search for DIY water pump and thermostat. Only found Thermostat. Anyone care to share a link?

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-05-2011 11:40 PM #80
      ouch. But hey, look at the bright side, YOU HAVE IT BACK TOGETHER!!!!
      I tried to search for DIY water pump and thermostat. Only found Thermostat. Anyone care to share a link?
      That's true! If I can just get these clutch cables figured out I can get put the battery back in and try to start it up doing the fluids won't take long. I still need to figure out what's going on with the axle bolts and why they snapped before 52 ft lbs...I hope that was the right spec. Common Fred with those specs

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      06-06-2011 12:28 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by pennsydubbin View Post
      That's true! If I can just get these clutch cables figured out I can get put the battery back in and try to start it up doing the fluids won't take long. I still need to figure out what's going on with the axle bolts and why they snapped before 52 ft lbs...I hope that was the right spec. Common Fred with those specs
      just got home...

and searching for em!

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-06-2011 07:51 AM #83
      as always, thanks a lot Fred I really do appreciate it. And the results....drive axle to transmission flange - 70nm/51.6 ft lbs...exactly what I did That's kind of scary that those bolts started snapping before torque spec. I'll probably buy new ones at the dealership today along with the other stuff. So close to being done, just need to figure out these damn clutch cables!

13. 06-06-2011 07:53 AM #84
      Those cable shifters can be pretty fiddly. Youll probably need to do some adjusting of the cables so it will work properly. I remember in my mk3 jetta over time the cables must have stretched. Because i had to adjust them so i could get the car into first gear. after the adjustment it was fine though. Also, it wasnt a lot that i had to adjust them by.

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-06-2011 08:56 AM #85
      Oh yea I should probably make it more clear with my problem - It's the shifter inside the cabin that won't go into gear, even when the clutch cables are unattached to the shifter on the trans. The cables must be jammed up underneath but I don't know how to get to them. I took the shifter boot and ash tray out thinking I could see down there but I couldn't.
      Last edited by pennsydubbin; 06-06-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      06-06-2011 10:02 AM #86
      lift the car, remove the tunnel insulation, which is the aluminum thin on top of the exhaust...

once thats done, you will be able to see the cables from the shifter to the tranny

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-06-2011 10:08 AM #87
      lift the car, remove the tunnel insulation, which is the aluminum thin on top of the exhaust...

once thats done, you will be able to see the cables from the shifter to the tranny
      That's greyt news! Lol

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      06-06-2011 11:56 AM #88
      i do try, you know.

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-06-2011 12:12 PM #89
      dude you've been such a big help to my project with taking the time to find and send me the torque specs....I really appreciate it

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      06-06-2011 12:18 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by pennsydubbin View Post
      dude you've been such a big help to my project with taking the time to find and send me the torque specs....I really appreciate it

no probs!

the way i see it, there are only about 10 of us! lol... we must take care of each other...

plus, i know that i have any issues any of you guys would help too..!

AANNND i also know this thread will help others...

Vehicles
      '09 VW Jetta 2.5L auto
      06-06-2011 01:32 PM #91

no probs!

the way i see it, there are only about 10 of us! lol... we must take care of each other...

only 10. this forum ran out of dedicated people that can help and willing to help.
      Thygreyt, do you have a bentley manual?

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-06-2011 03:51 PM #92

no probs!

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-06-2011 03:58 PM #93
      So...just got back from the dealership. After some time of explaining what clip i need by using a print out diagram of the transmission system...I get nothing. The clip isn't numbered in the diagram so he didn't know what i needed. Then when i finally got him to know which clip i was talking about he still couldnt get me one because he didn't know the part number . Like seriously?! I told him just go get the container of the damn clips and i'll be able to pick out which size it is, but he couldn't I have a better chance of finding my old one in my garage or garbage before I can get one from the dealership ...I need a beer lol

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      06-06-2011 04:12 PM #94
      only 10. this forum ran out of dedicated people that can help and willing to help.
      Thygreyt, do you have a bentley manual?
      yep... why? need something?

Vehicles
      '09 VW Jetta 2.5L auto
      06-06-2011 05:43 PM #95
      yep... why? need something?
      no, just need to know where you got it from. I am searching online stores; but can't find it.
      I found one at DBC performance, however, it is for the GTI.
      BTW you guys, finally I was able to do an oil change after using castrol syntec. I am very much happy with the result. I was using Mobil 1 , but no more.

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      06-06-2011 08:16 PM #96
      last week i did my oil change... the car now feels so much better...

lubro moly only..

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-07-2011 07:48 AM #97
      Yea i use Castrol Syntec 5w-40 like the volkswagon stays to use. I always have a hard time finding it though...always see 0w-30 or 10w-40

So the progress with my car: I got everything hooked up and tried starting it only to find out that my battery is dead I have it charging right now but I have to leave for work now so I can't try starting it till later...which is around 12 because i'm only working half a day

*edit* the battery was fully charge as I was leaving for work so I tried it and it started I let it ran for about 20 seconds until I noticed the smoke coming out of where the exhaust mani bolts to the flex piping. I'm guessing that's just the oil burning off everything and happened because one of the three bolts isn't on the manifold yet.
      Last edited by pennsydubbin; 06-07-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      06-07-2011 10:18 AM #98
      when i started the car post tranny swapped, i got sort of scared...

since we had to drain all of the coolant, some of it got to the headers... and when we started it we saw a huge cloud of smoke... it was rather scary!

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-07-2011 10:43 AM #99
      Haha oh really? That must be what's happening to mine then. I was pretty scared when I saw it too, I was like " oh sh*t, I just ruined this new motor"

I'll be back home in about an hour and a half and trying to figure out how to fix the clutch cables. It's so fustrating having the motor running but I can't drive it! Lol

Vehicles
      '09 VW Jetta 2.5L auto
      06-07-2011 12:49 PM #100
      yuuuppiieee
      goonnaa drink a ... wine for you

Vehicles
      06 Sage Green Rabbit | 03 Passat V6 4-Motion sedan
      06-07-2011 03:52 PM #101
      So Idk if its just me but you got this swap done pretty damn quick and for never doing one before, Im pretty impressed man. Congrats on getting it back together and running . You have me confident enough now to do the same if I ever need to pull the motor out for a rebuild or what have you. This isnt something I would normaly take on myself either, but seeing how quickly you accomplished it makes me feel like I could do the same. This thread is gonna help ALOT of pple in the future Im sure. Good job mang!
      http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/d...abbit%20build/
      2006 Sage Green Rabbit 5spd| UM SRI | UM 93 SRI tune | NLS Cai | Custom exhaust | USP testpipe | ECS crank pulley | BSH mounts |034 Dogbone core| NLS SS w/42DD bushings | GTI brake swap | Koni yellows w/H&R race springs | GTI rear sway |

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      06-07-2011 05:00 PM #102
      it definetely makes it seem like its as easy as an oil change... lol

32. 06-09-2011 12:46 AM #103
      Free bump jimmy! I give you a lot of credit for not being afraid to tear into a pretty major project like this! You gotta come up and check out the gti when i get the 3.0 from schimmel and put it in the gti!

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-09-2011 08:03 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by tay272 View Post
      So Idk if its just me but you got this swap done pretty damn quick and for never doing one before, Im pretty impressed man. Congrats on getting it back together and running . You have me confident enough now to do the same if I ever need to pull the motor out for a rebuild or what have you. This isnt something I would normaly take on myself either, but seeing how quickly you accomplished it makes me feel like I could do the same. This thread is gonna help ALOT of pple in the future Im sure. Good job mang!
      thanks tay I actually thought the swap would been done last week sometime, but it did seem to be pretty fast for not ever doing anything like this before. I'm glad people are enjoying this thread and hope that it will help many others! When i first posted I didn't think there would be much interest in the thread and might be some negative comments about not knowing what I was doing, but you guys proved me wrong

Ugh, i'm so close to being done though it's so fustrating. I bent and broke a tab off of the shifter cable bracket so that's what has been holding me up. And I have a big test tonight for my summer class so studying for that has been taking up my spare time I use for working on my car. Unfortunately my car and this thread are going to have to wait a week for updates because i'm going on vacation this saturday for a week

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-09-2011 08:43 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by stevegotanewone View Post
      Free bump jimmy! I give you a lot of credit for not being afraid to tear into a pretty major project like this! You gotta come up and check out the gti when i get the 3.0 from schimmel and put it in the gti!
      Thanks Stevo, I appreciate it dude I'd love to come check out the gti when you get that in there...just let me know! Good luck putting it in.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast