Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2001 Jetta GLS 2.0 Overheating/coolant leak

1. 05-30-2011 11:30 AM #1
      I acquired the car used as is, after a days driving it started overheating the next day, I discovered burnt coolant on the motor as well as on panels just above the ground. The Engine isn't burning very hot, but the reservoir for the coolant gets massive amounts of burning hot. As well there is a gurgling/crackling noise when I stop the car and lift the hood, and it sounds like it's coming through the main hose that goes to the air filter.

I don't know much, but I know I got a lemon, and got taken for a ride, what do you think is the issue?
      Last edited by Bazaaretw; 05-30-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta Wagon
      05-30-2011 11:51 AM #2
      This does not mean you have a lemmon, when $h.. get's busted, stuff like this happen, it's a used car so it will be asking for repairs here and there... now regarding your issue, I would start by checking your water pump and thermostat.

turn the car on and when it get's to running temperature, check on the reservoir if coolant is circulating if it isn't then you most probably have a busted water pump or thermostat.

GL.

3. 05-30-2011 11:56 AM #3
      If I may ask, what do I check for, to see that it's circulating?

4. 05-30-2011 01:11 PM #4
      Also I just realized the coolant is pale green and below the "min" line at resting, but my mother said that the amount is good enough for it to not overheat, could the issue be the coolant type, since the manual and others says it should be strictly pink?

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta Wagon
      05-30-2011 02:40 PM #5
      Dude, if your mom knows more about cars than you, well you're in deep sh... first of yes, you should use the pink stuff, but don't change it until you get the problem resolve, second, no I don't think the coolant is the problem, third, to check if the coolant is circulating just pull the top hose, the thin one and see if coolant comes out of it.

Read up, there's a lot of info here, use the search option and you'll find more info.

GL.

6. 05-30-2011 02:55 PM #6
      hehe, just to clarify, this is the first car I've ever owned and I'm 23, that alone tells you how much I know. But my mother has been a mechanic on garbage trucks and buses for years.

But thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta Wagon
      05-30-2011 03:25 PM #7
      No problem, and props to your mom for being a truck mechanic