Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Jb's Offical Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Currently: 2013 Passat TDI SE/Roof/Nav, 2011 Tiguan SE roof/nav (my partner's)
      06-13-2011 05:24 PM #36
      So the consensus is that the only lights that will trigger Canbus alerts are the side lights (amber)? I'd imagine the headlights would too maybe. The DRLs and license plate lights won't trigger any alerts? Good to know-- only a few of the DRL 1156s out there were listed as Canbus error-free which eliminated a lot of the more highly reviewed and affordable choices. Or so I'd thought.

Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-13-2011 07:11 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by jpbran View Post
      So the consensus is that the only lights that will trigger Canbus alerts are the side lights (amber)? I'd imagine the headlights would too maybe. The DRLs and license plate lights won't trigger any alerts? Good to know-- only a few of the DRL 1156s out there were listed as Canbus error-free which eliminated a lot of the more highly reviewed and affordable choices. Or so I'd thought.

There is no "consensus" here, there are only facts. I know what bulbs are CANBUS because of trial and error. The side marker threw a bulb error code with NON-CANBUS LED bulb, and nothing with a LED CANBUS bulb.

The Headlights DO NOT require CANBUS, nor did I note that. Again the information provided here is not speculation, I am running HID's. Unless I have called out "CANBUS" the bulb listed above does not need to be.**

**The turn signals need more T&E, the bulbs "could be" CANBUS, or the flasher relay could be causing the error. Once I have some more time to figure that one out, I will have a conclusive answer.

~jb
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide[/B] <--- UPDATED 04/2013

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      06-13-2011 09:03 PM #38
      @JB

Great job! I see an empty bulb holder for the rear fog lightbulb! Hopefully this is only a wire that needs to be inserted to activate?
      2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      06-13-2011 09:06 PM #39
      Yes DRLs do not cause error codes. Only the amber side marker lights.

Quote Originally Posted by ~jb View Post
      There is no "consensus" here, there are only facts. I know what bulbs are CANBUS because of trial and error. The side marker threw a bulb error code with NON-CANBUS LED bulb, and nothing with a LED CANBUS bulb.

The Headlights DO NOT require CANBUS, nor did I note that. Again the information provided here is not speculation, I am running HID's. Unless I have called out "CANBUS" the bulb listed above does not need to be.**

**The turn signals need more T&E, the bulbs "could be" CANBUS, or the flasher relay could be causing the error. Once I have some more time to figure that one out, I will have a conclusive answer.

~jb
      I tested LED front turn signals and they do not throw out errors. Only downside is that the turns aren't really brite enough for use day/night. I put back the stock turn bulbs.
      2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

Vehicles
      06-13-2011 11:49 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by quailallstar View Post
      I tested LED front turn signals and they do not throw out errors. Only downside is that the turns aren't really brite enough for use day/night. I put back the stock turn bulbs.

Change all four and the bulb error light will come on. No hyper flash on the exterior, but the dash does.

6. 06-15-2011 07:45 PM #41
      Okay, how do I get the glove box casing open to replace the bulb?

Removing it is fairly easy, but short of using an excessive amount of force, how do I get that open to replace the bulb???
      Last edited by John Kotches; 06-15-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Vehicles
      06-15-2011 07:49 PM #42
      let me go grab it, and snap a few pics.

one sec.

8. 06-15-2011 08:10 PM #43
      do you have any pictures for install HID headlight?

Vehicles
      06-15-2011 08:24 PM #44
      edit*
      Last edited by ~jb; 06-19-2011 at 03:20 AM.

10. 06-15-2011 08:29 PM #45
      JB:

Many thanks... Didn't want to start disassembling the housing and end up breaking it ;-)

Vehicles
      06-15-2011 08:32 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post
      JB:

Many thanks... Didn't want to start disassembling the housing and end up breaking it ;-)
      Your more then welcome man. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need, like you said its cheaper then a broken part.

Vehicles
      20th Ann. JB-SOLD/ 2011 JETTA 2.5SE w/con
      06-15-2011 08:54 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by jetta8022 View Post
      x2!!! it was easier in my MK4, this one is looking a bit different
      www.XCLUSIVALLIANCE.com

INSTAGRAM : JEEBZ11

Vehicles
      Mk.6. Mondeo Hybrid. E46 ZHP (FS). Jeep 4x4 (FS). 300C HEMI.
      06-15-2011 09:00 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by jetta8022 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by tuckNroll20th View Post
      x2!!! it was easier in my MK4, this one is looking a bit different
      Don't do drop-in HID's. Get a set of Silverstars, keep your lenses clean, and call it a day. Drop-in HID's are the rigged way to do it.
      New guys: READ THIS FIRST. | 8V Society: #369 | Former VW / Audi & BMW Indy Technician (PM for VCDS / GT1 Coding) | Help find Grant's pictures.
      Quote Originally Posted by xombiesarelove View Post
      Seems like it would be pretty self explanatory. Just hand the guy a bomb and an IKEA level instruction sheet and call it day.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      GirlsLoveIt.

Vehicles
      06-15-2011 09:39 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnIBarr01 View Post
      Don't do drop-in HID's. Get a set of Silverstars, keep your lenses clean, and call it a day. Drop-in HID's are the rigged way to do it.
      The HID in halogen housing topic always stirs up quite a debate. Every housing is different, and in my opinion after testing the Mk6 Jetta housings I am running 6k HID head and fog lights.

As far as "write up" goes, since its already done on my car, I am waiting for a local to do it. Then I can snap pics and explain better.

~jb

15. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 CW Jetta SE
      06-17-2011 03:15 AM #50
      nice thread

I just recently changed my DRL's and license plate lights to white. Looks great.

One question though. I plan on getting my HID's soon. From what I've been reading its H7 but some people on the forums are saying how the new jettas headlights are different. Anybody have any trouble installing H7 HIDs at all?

i planned on buying something like this : http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-HID-H...-p4782960.html

16. Member
      Vehicles
      06-17-2011 04:57 PM #51

~jb
      I wasn't meaning to offend or second guess. It's hard to know with many other sites and online stores saying CANBUS is or can be an issue with the DRLs (and you're being especially cautious once you've been screwed over by defective bulbs). Also, I was again just speculating about the headlights. It would seem if any bulb would provide a warning when out, it would be the headlights.

I'd thanked you in an earlier post for providing this info. Your response seemed fairly defensive. I may have worded incorrectly; wasn't meaning to doubt your expertise.

Vehicles
      06-17-2011 05:59 PM #52
      I wasn't meaning to offend or second guess. It's hard to know with many other sites and online stores saying CANBUS is or can be an issue with the DRLs (and you're being especially cautious once you've been screwed over by defective bulbs). Also, I was again just speculating about the headlights. It would seem if any bulb would provide a warning when out, it would be the headlights.

I'd thanked you in an earlier post for providing this info. Your response seemed fairly defensive. I may have worded incorrectly; wasn't meaning to doubt your expertise.

No offense taken, after reading what I wrote I guess I could see how it could be taken.. no worries!

If you want to pay the premium for CANBUS bulbs, then by all means do so. A lot of people are used to forking over high prices after owning and modding a German car. Simple "bulb out" systems work in the way that if the circuit is not complete or the voltage is wrong then the error comes on. CANBUS adds circuitry to combat this, you probably would not get a "bulb out" with a CANBUS LED if after thousands of hours it does burn out.

Again I do apologize to have sounded defensive, not my intention, its hard to convey emotion through text.

Thanks for the thanks.
      ~jb

18. Member
      Vehicles
      06-18-2011 12:19 AM #53

PS-- One more question. Any advice or tips for the map and overhead lights still staying on slightly when not actually "on?" Is this a real worry? I figure LEDs use such a small amount of power anyway, and when only on at about 5% power, it surely can't run down a 1' sq. battery. Anything I can do to correct this, or should I just ignore it?

Vehicles
      06-19-2011 03:14 AM #54
      Got a little bored this evening...

Not sure if I'm sold on the look

20. 06-19-2011 05:02 PM #55
      It would seem if any bulb would provide a warning when out, it would be the headlights.
      This is taken mildly out of context, but why would you need a warning on headlights? A headlight that's out should be fairly obvious to even a casual observer.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

21. 06-19-2011 07:47 PM #56
      hi ~jb,

do you know if the fog light are the same as the 2010 golf? just the fog light, because i know the grill is different. I want to know if the fog light of the 2010 golf has the same screw holes as the 2011 jetta.

thanks
      junky

22. Member
      Vehicles
      06-19-2011 09:25 PM #57
      This is taken mildly out of context, but why would you need a warning on headlights? A headlight that's out should be fairly obvious to even a casual observer.

One would think that, but it's kinda disproven by the amount of dumba$$ drivers at night without their headlights even being on at all.
      Last edited by jpbran; 06-20-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI
      06-20-2011 02:52 PM #58
      This looks like what I want to do with my headlights but I also want to have the drl's off when the switch is off. I have a Euro switch, I like to be able to turn the lights completely off but I also still wanted to have the drl's come on when in parking light position instead of off position.

What did you do to achieve this? Require some re-wiring...I'm a wiz with a soldering iron...

Got a little bored this evening...

Not sure if I'm sold on the look

Vehicles
      06-21-2011 05:00 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by cxavier View Post
      This looks like what I want to do with my headlights but I also want to have the drl's off when the switch is off. I have a Euro switch, I like to be able to turn the lights completely off but I also still wanted to have the drl's come on when in parking light position instead of off position.

What did you do to achieve this? Require some re-wiring...I'm a wiz with a soldering iron...

I would say this is not possible because, because you would need to tap power from the (side marker) which is CANBUS. If you got a CANBUS side marker LED and a CANBUS DRL LED that just might work.

Vehicles
      06-21-2011 05:22 AM #60
      UPDATE 06/21/11

Well last night was another fuse blowing evening.

Last night I focused on the Tail lights. (inner and outer)

Inner:

Ba15s (W5W) Running - replaced with a 9 SMD LED. No problems
      1156 Turn Signal - replaced with 9 SMD LED. Power Leak, LED dim lit.

Outer:

1157 Running/Brake - replaced with a 9 SMD LED. Power Leak, LED dim lit. & CANBUS error.
      1156 Reverse - replaced with 9 SMD LED. Hyper Flash (dash only) Normal flash on exterior. CANBUS error.

Somehow I popped the fuse to the turn signals, and the reverse lights. found it and replaced it, everything is back to normal.

So now I have to break down and order CANBUS LEDS. I am not looking forward to dropping real money for LEDS, but its the price to pay if I wanna play. I will keep everyone posted as always.

~jb
      Last edited by ~jb; 06-21-2011 at 05:25 AM.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      06-21-2011 07:25 AM #61
      UPDATE 06/21/11

Well last night was another fuse blowing evening.

Last night I focused on the Tail lights. (inner and outer)

Inner:

Ba15s (W5W) Running - replaced with a 9 SMD LED. No problems
      W5W doesm't use a BA15S base. You got a typo there.
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

27. 06-21-2011 08:08 PM #62
      On my car, I'm getting the minor draw on the 1156 lights on the inner housing. These might need to be canbus.

Trying to upload an image, might not have enough posts yet to do it.

Vehicles
      06-21-2011 08:17 PM #63
      On my car, I'm getting the minor draw on the 1156 lights on the inner housing. These might need to be canbus.

weird, on my car those are fine.

29. 06-21-2011 08:25 PM #64
      Yeah, but I didn't blow any fuses on my tail lights either -- so maybe I'm just lucky that way. Might need a load resistor rather than canbus.

All that's left for me is the front of the car -- I'd love to get the front DRL switched over, but it isn't end of the world type stuff either if I don't.

Cheers,

30. 06-22-2011 12:22 PM #65

This morning, I turned on the engine and the dashboard kiss of death, i.e. the bulb out indicator is on. Nothing on the back of the car is lighting up... Good times for me.

Which fuse are the tail lights on and what's the capacity? I can pick them up near my office if I know what I need.

Vehicles
      06-22-2011 01:05 PM #66
      This morning, I turned on the engine and the dashboard kiss of death, i.e. the bulb out indicator is on. Nothing on the back of the car is lighting up... Good times for me.

Which fuse are the tail lights on and what's the capacity? I can pick them up near my office if I know what I need.
      LOL, last night I got the same kiss of death for the inner running LEDs. The rear is going to take a little more work then I thought. I'm sorry though I don't know which fuse is for the tails. Not sure VWoA reasoning for not including a fuse layout. Anytime I blow one (which I have done quite a bit) I just pull them till I find it.

Making a proper fuse layout to add the the FAQ is on my to do list though.

~jb

32. 06-22-2011 01:09 PM #67
      Don't have much time to experiment before I have to drive.

and of course the blown fuse is a significant safety hazard.

Vehicles
      06-22-2011 01:16 PM #68
      Don't have much time to experiment before I have to drive.

and of course the blown fuse is a significant safety hazard.

Hey if there is no challenge, then your not trying!

34. 06-22-2011 01:19 PM #69
      Lots of stop and go driving on a trip this afternoon.

if I were parked in my garage it would be a no brainer... I'm not.

35. 06-23-2011 10:36 PM #70
      A little slow to reply, but I finally got a chance to check it out. No blown fuse, just the bulb out indicator. I think I'd prefer the blown fuse!

Cheers,

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast