Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 1125

    Thread: Jb's Offical Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide

    1. Member Mo_Focus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2005
      Posts
      795
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Highline TDI DSG, 2011 Jetta Highline TDI
      06-09-2011 07:32 AM #26
      Great job jb!
      10 VW Golf Highline DSG TDI- wife's , 11 VW Jetta Highline 6spd TDI mine!

    2. 06-09-2011 08:40 PM #27
      hey, jb. isn't the 7507 Turn Signal in the head housing a canbus also?

    3. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-10-2011 12:55 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by junky View Post
      hey, jb. isn't the 7507 Turn Signal in the head housing a canbus also?
      I'm not sure yet. See the problem is that if you install LEDs into the blinkers the dash blinks fast, setting off the bulb error light. However, there is no hyper blink on the exterior of the car, just the dash. So my idea is to figure out where the blinker relays are and swap those for LED relays. If the bulb error returns then I will know for sure that the bulbs need to be CANBUS.

      So far the only confirmed CANBUS necessary bulbs on the Mk6 Jetta, is the front 194 (amber) side markers.


      ~jb
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    4. 06-10-2011 01:08 AM #29
      Thanks

    5. Member Mo_Focus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2005
      Posts
      795
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Highline TDI DSG, 2011 Jetta Highline TDI
      06-10-2011 10:05 PM #30
      JB, interior lights, are they 38festoone or 39mm festoone, i cant find any 38mm, they are either 36mm or 39mm. I know there is not much diff, but can you please check and get back to me.
      10 VW Golf Highline DSG TDI- wife's , 11 VW Jetta Highline 6spd TDI mine!

    6. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-11-2011 08:23 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Focus View Post
      JB, interior lights, are they 38festoone or 39mm festoone, i cant find any 38mm, they are either 36mm or 39mm. I know there is not much diff, but can you please check and get back to me.
      Whoops. I used 39mm. (checked receipt)

      I will have to update those pictures.


      ***Sry guys. Interior Festoons should be 39mm. 36mm will work but you will have to bend in the contacts on the bulb holder.
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    7. Member
      Join Date
      May 18th, 2008
      Location
      Nashville, TN
      Posts
      281
      Vehicles
      Formerly: '11 Jetta SEL, '13 Passat TDI SE, '14 Infiniti Q50 (pos!); Now: '13 Audi A4 Q P+
      06-13-2011 12:02 PM #32
      Thanks so much for this! Had already done my DRL's but they were from Metapark/Ebay and conked out in a couple of days. Waiting for some more from a different seller.

      Using your guide, did the rear map lights which were a breeze (yes, 39 was perfect). The front map lights were harder to remove but a light touch with needle-nose pliers did the trick.

      Also, I asked @ both Lowes and Home Depot about a plastic pry bar; they'd never heard of them. Must have been an auto parts shop kinda purchase. Either way, a plastic take-out butter knife worked great and didn't scratch a thing.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2010
      Posts
      640
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Wagon TDI
      06-13-2011 03:10 PM #33
      Is there a guide like this for Golfs? And the JSW?

      I really want to luxury-up my lighting.
      dublove.ca | Unitronicchipped

    9. Semi-n00b ddare's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2011
      Location
      Des Moines, IA
      Posts
      19
      Vehicles
      2013 Jetta SE
      06-13-2011 03:18 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by jpbran View Post
      Also, I asked @ both Lowes and Home Depot about a plastic pry bar; they'd never heard of them. Must have been an auto parts shop kinda purchase. Either way, a plastic take-out butter knife worked great and didn't scratch a thing.
      Found mine at Harbor Freight Tools.

    10. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-13-2011 04:28 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by ddare View Post
      Found mine at Harbor Freight Tools.
      yes Harbor Freight is the place to to get the plastic pry bar set.
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    11. Member
      Join Date
      May 18th, 2008
      Location
      Nashville, TN
      Posts
      281
      Vehicles
      Formerly: '11 Jetta SEL, '13 Passat TDI SE, '14 Infiniti Q50 (pos!); Now: '13 Audi A4 Q P+
      06-13-2011 05:24 PM #36
      So the consensus is that the only lights that will trigger Canbus alerts are the side lights (amber)? I'd imagine the headlights would too maybe. The DRLs and license plate lights won't trigger any alerts? Good to know-- only a few of the DRL 1156s out there were listed as Canbus error-free which eliminated a lot of the more highly reviewed and affordable choices. Or so I'd thought.

    12. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-13-2011 07:11 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by jpbran View Post
      So the consensus is that the only lights that will trigger Canbus alerts are the side lights (amber)? I'd imagine the headlights would too maybe. The DRLs and license plate lights won't trigger any alerts? Good to know-- only a few of the DRL 1156s out there were listed as Canbus error-free which eliminated a lot of the more highly reviewed and affordable choices. Or so I'd thought.

      There is no "consensus" here, there are only facts. I know what bulbs are CANBUS because of trial and error. The side marker threw a bulb error code with NON-CANBUS LED bulb, and nothing with a LED CANBUS bulb.

      The Headlights DO NOT require CANBUS, nor did I note that. Again the information provided here is not speculation, I am running HID's. Unless I have called out "CANBUS" the bulb listed above does not need to be.**



      **The turn signals need more T&E, the bulbs "could be" CANBUS, or the flasher relay could be causing the error. Once I have some more time to figure that one out, I will have a conclusive answer.

      ~jb
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    13. Member quailallstar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Aus Liebe zum Automobil
      Posts
      8,373
      Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      06-13-2011 09:03 PM #38
      @JB

      Great job! I see an empty bulb holder for the rear fog lightbulb! Hopefully this is only a wire that needs to be inserted to activate?
      2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

    14. Member quailallstar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Aus Liebe zum Automobil
      Posts
      8,373
      Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      06-13-2011 09:06 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by jpbran View Post
      So the consensus is that the only lights that will trigger Canbus alerts are the side lights (amber)? I'd imagine the headlights would too maybe. The DRLs and license plate lights won't trigger any alerts? Good to know-- only a few of the DRL 1156s out there were listed as Canbus error-free which eliminated a lot of the more highly reviewed and affordable choices. Or so I'd thought.
      Yes DRLs do not cause error codes. Only the amber side marker lights.

      Quote Originally Posted by ~jb View Post
      There is no "consensus" here, there are only facts. I know what bulbs are CANBUS because of trial and error. The side marker threw a bulb error code with NON-CANBUS LED bulb, and nothing with a LED CANBUS bulb.

      The Headlights DO NOT require CANBUS, nor did I note that. Again the information provided here is not speculation, I am running HID's. Unless I have called out "CANBUS" the bulb listed above does not need to be.**



      **The turn signals need more T&E, the bulbs "could be" CANBUS, or the flasher relay could be causing the error. Once I have some more time to figure that one out, I will have a conclusive answer.

      ~jb
      I tested LED front turn signals and they do not throw out errors. Only downside is that the turns aren't really brite enough for use day/night. I put back the stock turn bulbs.
      2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

    15. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-13-2011 11:49 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by quailallstar View Post
      I tested LED front turn signals and they do not throw out errors. Only downside is that the turns aren't really brite enough for use day/night. I put back the stock turn bulbs.

      Change all four and the bulb error light will come on. No hyper flash on the exterior, but the dash does.
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    16. 06-15-2011 07:45 PM #41
      Okay, how do I get the glove box casing open to replace the bulb?

      Removing it is fairly easy, but short of using an excessive amount of force, how do I get that open to replace the bulb???
      Last edited by John Kotches; 06-15-2011 at 07:52 PM.

    17. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-15-2011 07:49 PM #42
      let me go grab it, and snap a few pics.

      one sec.

      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    18. 06-15-2011 08:10 PM #43
      do you have any pictures for install HID headlight?

    19. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-15-2011 08:24 PM #44
      edit*
      Last edited by ~jb; 06-19-2011 at 03:20 AM.
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    20. 06-15-2011 08:29 PM #45
      JB:

      Many thanks... Didn't want to start disassembling the housing and end up breaking it ;-)

    21. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-15-2011 08:32 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post
      JB:

      Many thanks... Didn't want to start disassembling the housing and end up breaking it ;-)
      Your more then welcome man. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need, like you said its cheaper then a broken part.
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    22. Member tuckNroll20th's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 8th, 2007
      Location
      NOVA
      Posts
      182
      Vehicles
      20th Ann. JB-SOLD/ 2011 JETTA 2.5SE w/con
      06-15-2011 08:54 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by jetta8022 View Post
      do you have any pictures for install HID headlight?
      x2!!! it was easier in my MK4, this one is looking a bit different
      www.XCLUSIVALLIANCE.com

      INSTAGRAM : JEEBZ11

    23. Member NotLowEnough's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2011
      Location
      Chatham County, NC
      Posts
      5,944
      Vehicles
      Mk.6. 2013 Mondeo Hybrid. 2015 Mondeo Hybrid. Jeep 4x4. Disco II.
      06-15-2011 09:00 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by jetta8022 View Post
      do you have any pictures for install HID headlight?
      Quote Originally Posted by tuckNroll20th View Post
      x2!!! it was easier in my MK4, this one is looking a bit different
      Don't do drop-in HID's. Get a set of Silverstars, keep your lenses clean, and call it a day. Drop-in HID's are the rigged way to do it.
      New guys: READ THIS FIRST. | 8V Society: #369 | VW / Audi & BMW Indy Technician (PM for VCDS / GT1 Coding) | Help find Grant's pictures.
      Quote Originally Posted by xombiesarelove View Post
      Seems like it would be pretty self explanatory. Just hand the guy a bomb and an IKEA level instruction sheet and call it day.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      GirlsLoveIt.

    24. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-15-2011 09:39 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnIBarr01 View Post
      Don't do drop-in HID's. Get a set of Silverstars, keep your lenses clean, and call it a day. Drop-in HID's are the rigged way to do it.
      The HID in halogen housing topic always stirs up quite a debate. Every housing is different, and in my opinion after testing the Mk6 Jetta housings I am running 6k HID head and fog lights.

      As far as "write up" goes, since its already done on my car, I am waiting for a local to do it. Then I can snap pics and explain better.


      ~jb
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    25. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2011
      Location
      New york
      Posts
      17
      Vehicles
      2011 CW Jetta SE
      06-17-2011 03:15 AM #50
      nice thread


      I just recently changed my DRL's and license plate lights to white. Looks great.

      One question though. I plan on getting my HID's soon. From what I've been reading its H7 but some people on the forums are saying how the new jettas headlights are different. Anybody have any trouble installing H7 HIDs at all?

      i planned on buying something like this : http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-HID-H...-p4782960.html

    Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •