Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Jb's Offical Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE with Convienence and Sunroof
      07-02-2012 05:33 PM #736
      If you need help, feel free to ask, I did my interiors recently.
      2012 Jetta SE with Conv. and Sunroof
      Instagram: Carlito821

Vehicles
      12GLi2.0Tautobahn(CW) ~yaya shnelya das iz fantastizh~
      07-02-2012 08:52 PM #737
      Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dalva View Post
      Thanks, that was VERY simple. WAY easier than my old Accord, which you had to go in through the wheel area after removing the mud guard.

Next up is the interior lights which are WAY too dim. Most of the posts here for the interior lights look different than mine (I have the 2012 Jetta S).

This is what mine looks like:

Can anyone recommend a good LED bulb to replace the OEM one?

And how to go about replacing the bulb?

Thanks!
      get something like this if u dont know what kind of bulbs ur is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-SMD-Pure-...66dd6c&vxp=mtr
      VDuB !N I)@ H@u$
      AT

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta S
      07-03-2012 04:46 AM #738
      Quote Originally Posted by CJetta821 View Post
      If you need help, feel free to ask, I did my interiors recently.
      Thanks again for the info!

Given that I'm completely clueless on this kind of thing and the fact that you just did yours, I would appreciate it if you could point me to a good kit on eBay or some other online seller and a brief description of how you go about removing the light covers and installing the LED bulbs?

I might as well do the bulbs on the rear overhead roof lights if the kit is the best option.

Thanks!

4. 07-14-2012 06:42 PM #739
      Quote Originally Posted by ~jb View Post
      Whoops. I used 39mm. (checked receipt)

I will have to update those pictures.

***Sry guys. Interior Festoons should be 39mm. 36mm will work but you will have to bend in the contacts on the bulb holder.
      He~jb,
      Thanks for the tut. Any chance those pics will be updated?

5. 07-18-2012 10:13 PM #740
      Hey... I bought similar lights as your drl's from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310404529045...ht_1961wt_1270

Unfortunately i got flickering and they blew out within 2 days.

Do you have any issues with your current drl's? I really need an opinion and help on which ones i should get because i dont want to keep having to buy new ones every week.

Can you please give some input on to which ones i should purchase?

Thanks!

6. 07-18-2012 10:15 PM #741
      [QUOTE=NekoSaur;76488075]
      Quote Originally Posted by NekoSaur View Post
      Hey all,
      First post!

I just wanted to share the LED conversion pics of my 2011 Jetta SEL.
      Almost all of the advice, information, product recommendations and tips were received from this thread.
      So - THANK YOU!

Here are the kits that I used for this upgrade:

License Plate - Ziza 194's with resistors from ECSTuning

City Lights - Ziza City Light Kit with resistors from ECSTuning

Daytime Running Lights - V-LED Platinum White 20 LED 7W with Heat Sink

Low Beam and High Beam Headlights - GE NightHawk Platinum H7s (4 bulbs total)

Fog Lights - GE NightHawk Platinum 9006

All in all, this cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $190.00. I wanted to do it RIGHT. Use great quality bulbs with reputable manufacturers that will stand behind their products (ECSTuning, GE, V-LEDs)

I fully realize that I could have gotten $3 LEDs from eBay. I did. They sucked. The color was terrible and they were falling apart. Not automotive quality at all. Do yourself a favor and get the decent stuff! It's not worth burning your car up

I think it turned out even better than I had hoped - I love the look. Makes my car look like it's worth about 10k more.

Install was actually not bad - the hardest was the Driver's Side DRL. That was terrible. It took about 45 minutes of weird hand positions, bruises and scrapes to get the bulb in! All the others went in easy using the information on this site.

What do you think?

Ziza LED Platinum DRL on for first time

Another shot of the V-LED Platinums (they look a little green, but are very white)

*** UPDATE ***

I had some trouble with the DRL V-LEDs that I put in as shown above.
      I pulled into my garage shortly after installing them and noticed that one of the bulbs had turned off. Checked all of the wiring and it turns out it had burned out

Called V-LEDs and the rep confirmed that the housing for the DRL on the Jetta is probably too small to safely house a bulb this bright.

He recommended that I replace the Platinum 20 with a lower heat bulb for DRL use. They are on sale for $35.00 a pair.

Not as bright as the previous Platinum bulbs, but they still look great and show up well even in daytime.

So far I like these new bulbs much better - still very bright and they are a little more "White" at 5000k (the old platinums were somewhere near 7000K - lots of blue)

So far, so good - been driving for about a week with them.
      These bulbs are basically a solid chunk of aluminum with 5 huge, oval LED's recessed into the metal. Seems much more durable.

Hey... I bought similar lights as your drl's from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310404529045...ht_1961wt_1270

Unfortunately i got flickering and they blew out within 2 days.

Do you have any issues with your current drl's? I really need an opinion and help on which ones i should get because i dont want to keep having to buy new ones every week.

Can you please give some input on to which ones i should purchase?

Thanks!

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta, 2008 Jetta RIP
      07-18-2012 10:56 PM #742
      Check my sig.

Solid guy.

8. 07-19-2012 05:50 AM #743
      Quote Originally Posted by itskohler View Post
      Check my sig.

Solid guy.

Thanks man. But I'm looking for bulbs that will last me a long time and that wouldn't give any leaks, flickering or burn out in a short period of time.

The ones on your sig only has an image of a mounting.

Vehicles
      07-19-2012 08:23 AM #744
      What? That's a link to his store front...

Try again and navigate to the leds portion of his website

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 White GLI Autobahn
      07-19-2012 08:34 AM #745
      Your link just goes to an item removed page.

edit: oh now it works.

11. 07-19-2012 09:52 AM #746
      What? That's a link to his store front...

Try again and navigate to the leds portion of his website
      Dude...

this is all they have for LEDs?

http://www.performanceleds.com/index...th=61_70_71_80

Vehicles
      07-19-2012 09:56 AM #747
      No, it's not. I'm in his shop twice a week, and he's got LEDs for your damn toaster. Let me get a hold of him and I'll contact you through PM. The website just underwent some changes apparently...

13. 07-19-2012 03:25 PM #748
      No, it's not. I'm in his shop twice a week, and he's got LEDs for your damn toaster. Let me get a hold of him and I'll contact you through PM. The website just underwent some changes apparently...

lol....

Thanks man!

14. 07-21-2012 05:37 AM #749
      Ok so I've trolled threw this thread. And maybe overlooked how to add resister to 194 map lights. I replaced LP and map with no error. However the map lights have a power leak unless I turn them off. Any fix or do I just keep searching for more 194s?

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE, 2002 GTI 1.8T
      07-22-2012 02:53 AM #750
      My festoon dome lights inside the cabin in the back never go off. They just dim when the car is off and even when it's all locked up! Anyone else have this issue when using LEDs?

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Jetta MK6
      07-22-2012 07:13 AM #751
      Quote Originally Posted by nickb488 View Post
      My festoon dome lights inside the cabin in the back never go off. They just dim when the car is off and even when it's all locked up! Anyone else have this issue when using LEDs?
      That is called a "power leak". Browse through the first few pages of this thread for references to power leaks.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI Platinum Gray
      07-23-2012 09:06 PM #752
      Forgive me if this has already be answered/addressed, but at this thread gets longer it gets harder and harder to find information.

Does anyone know what fuse(s) control the DRLs on the GLI? I checked out the diagrams on here as well as ALLDATA, and they don't match wasn't in my car.

On that note, does anyone have a roadmap for the GLI uses in general? I can't seem to find one, and since VW decided to omit it from the owner's manual, it would be good info to have.

thanks!
      '12 Jetta GLI Platinum Gray

18. 07-26-2012 10:31 AM #753
      Hey Guys!

i have a question to ask. Does anyone have a 2012 Jetta TDI?

I've been having bad luck with 1156 LED DRL's on my car. I keep getting error codes with flickering and burning out.

I'm hoping that someone who has a TDI would have a solution for me to buy certain ones that wont give me any issues.

On another note.... I wanted to ask the same question but about the HID kits. Which one to buy and which ones do you guys recommend me getting without any issues.

I was looking to get the Kensun kit but i also saw the Clear View kit as well.

Please help.... Thanks!

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDi Premium
      08-04-2012 06:06 PM #754
      I have a 2012 Jetta TDI and i just installed these today..

They are the first ones i've ever tried and i got them here:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/170837815408...S:3160&vxp=mtr

Here is the turnout:

Not sure how long they will last or if there are any unfortunate errors in my future but as for now they look good!

20. 08-06-2012 09:23 PM #755
      Quote Originally Posted by BorLEH View Post
      Hey Guys!

i have a question to ask. Does anyone have a 2012 Jetta TDI?

I've been having bad luck with 1156 LED DRL's on my car. I keep getting error codes with flickering and burning out.

I'm hoping that someone who has a TDI would have a solution for me to buy certain ones that wont give me any issues.

On another note.... I wanted to ask the same question but about the HID kits. Which one to buy and which ones do you guys recommend me getting without any issues.

I was looking to get the Kensun kit but i also saw the Clear View kit as well.

Please help.... Thanks!

I also have a tdi and bought these for my DRL. HAd them in for a few weeks so far and they are very bright and no issues at all. They are not cheap though!

14 Watt Eagle EYE SMT Tower

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

also got these for my city lights and they are really nice too! Super bright, but again, not cheap!
      Super Nova SMT 5X

http://autolumination.com/194.htm

21. 08-06-2012 09:32 PM #756
      Quote Originally Posted by nickb488 View Post
      I had the same issues! Solved it today. I replace my rear map LED's with can-bus LED's

Can-bus LED already have a resistor built in and as soon as i replaced just one of the lights all 4 stopped power leaking.

I ended up replacing all 4 (map lights) with can-bus LED's from amazon cause i bought them but knowing what i know now most probably just need to replace 2 bulbs to have enough resistance in the circuit to prevent a power leak! At least for my TDI that was the case. All my other interior and exterior bulbs (DRL, City lights, glove, trunk, lic plate) are regular LED's

22. 08-07-2012 12:08 AM #757
      I just replaced my front and rear map lights and so far so good. They do completely go off when on door mode here's what I used from ddm tuning:
      39mmFestoon-1x3WLED-W 2 39mm Festoon, 1 x 3W Cree LED, White
      194LED-5x5050LED.W 3 194/T10 White LED Bulb w/5x5050 LED's

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 volkswagen jetta tdi
      08-07-2012 09:58 AM #758
      Quote Originally Posted by adamkramerusn View Post
      Forgive me if this has already be answered/addressed, but at this thread gets longer it gets harder and harder to find information.

Does anyone know what fuse(s) control the DRLs on the GLI? I checked out the diagrams on here as well as ALLDATA, and they don't match wasn't in my car.

On that note, does anyone have a roadmap for the GLI uses in general? I can't seem to find one, and since VW decided to omit it from the owner's manual, it would be good info to have.

thanks!
      I have found a fuse location and description chart, i will try to upload the images tonight

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI Platinum Gray
      08-07-2012 10:09 AM #759
      Quote Originally Posted by letsmotor View Post
      I have found a fuse location and description chart, i will try to upload the images tonight
      Thanks. Where'd you find them?
      '12 Jetta GLI Platinum Gray

25. 08-07-2012 10:22 AM #760
      I did pop my interior fuse when installing the glove box light the fuse on the GLI was a 20amp yellow fuse (larger) located on the driverside fuse block on the right hand side

26. Member
      Vehicles
      08-07-2012 02:13 PM #761
      [QUOTE=adamkramerusn;78507705] Thanks. Where'd you find them?[/QUOTE
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]

27. Member
      Vehicles
      08-07-2012 02:16 PM #762
      sorry for the super big pictures

28. Member
      Vehicles
      08-07-2012 02:30 PM #763

thanks!
      Didn't read your request close enough, i'll see if i can get a fuse diagram per vw. dont know if my pic any help, you may have already seen this one

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta 2.5L SE w/Convenience and Sunroof
      08-07-2012 02:47 PM #764
      Yes, indeed!
      2012 Jetta 2.5 SE w/Convenience & Sunroof - Platinum Gray Metallic.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      08-07-2012 10:59 PM #765
      Thanks. Where'd you find them?
      Looks like he got them from me...

I posted a PDF on Google Docs and posted the link in one of the threads a while back.

31. n00b
      Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta MK6 2.5L Highline
      08-08-2012 12:18 AM #766

Forgive me if this has already be addressed previously, but at this thread gets longer it gets harder and harder to find information.

I have a 2011 Jetta MK6 that ia just installed 35W HID's for H7 Driving Lights and High Beam and also 9006 Fog Lights. They work great, look great.

I did not need extra harness, or anything. Was plug an play with some work to mod clip for H7 and lots of scratches on my big hands trying to work in the housings.

My issue is the High Beam HID's are causing my dash to always show the high beam indicator as on.

So I turn my standard night lights on and it shows me the High Beam indicator on the dash. I then enable High Beams and the lights work. The only issue is the high beam indicator always on.

Anyone know how I can remove this. I this a VAG COM option... I think I read somewhere where it was but not sure.

I appreciate your help!

32. Member
      Vehicles
      08-08-2012 10:17 AM #767
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      Looks like he got them from me...

I posted a PDF on Google Docs and posted the link in one of the threads a while back.
      i found them from a different source, i should however be able to get a diagram from vw soon. i will post it as soon as i revieve it

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      08-08-2012 10:45 AM #768
      Quote Originally Posted by letsmotor View Post
      i found them from a different source, i should however be able to get a diagram from vw soon. i will post it as soon as i revieve it
      What diagram are you talking about? Here is the 11&12 Fuse info https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5l...mltOEEzcUptUlU

I know it originally came from me because of how it's formatted. Just saying.

34. 08-08-2012 12:15 PM #769
      How long did the last for you? any error codes or flickering at all?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyslayer View Post
      I have a 2012 Jetta TDI and i just installed these today..

They are the first ones i've ever tried and i got them here:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/170837815408...S:3160&vxp=mtr

Here is the turnout:

Not sure how long they will last or if there are any unfortunate errors in my future but as for now they look good!

35. 08-08-2012 12:17 PM #770
      Thanks man! Glad to hear from someone that has the same car and with results based on their experiences.

I will definitely give them a try and let you know when I get them installed

Quote Originally Posted by lagamm View Post
      I also have a tdi and bought these for my DRL. HAd them in for a few weeks so far and they are very bright and no issues at all. They are not cheap though!

14 Watt Eagle EYE SMT Tower

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

also got these for my city lights and they are really nice too! Super bright, but again, not cheap!
      Super Nova SMT 5X

http://autolumination.com/194.htm

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast