Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 1126

    Thread: Jb's Offical Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide

    1. Member
      Join Date
      May 18th, 2008
      Location
      Nashville, TN
      Posts
      281
      Vehicles
      Formerly: '11 Jetta SEL, '13 Passat TDI SE, '14 Infiniti Q50 (pos!); Now: '13 Audi A4 Q P+
      06-17-2011 04:57 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by ~jb View Post
      There is no "consensus" here, there are only facts. I know what bulbs are CANBUS because of trial and error. The side marker threw a bulb error code with NON-CANBUS LED bulb, and nothing with a LED CANBUS bulb.

      The Headlights DO NOT require CANBUS, nor did I note that. Again the information provided here is not speculation, I am running HID's. Unless I have called out "CANBUS" the bulb listed above does not need to be.**

      ~jb
      I wasn't meaning to offend or second guess. It's hard to know with many other sites and online stores saying CANBUS is or can be an issue with the DRLs (and you're being especially cautious once you've been screwed over by defective bulbs). Also, I was again just speculating about the headlights. It would seem if any bulb would provide a warning when out, it would be the headlights.

      I'd thanked you in an earlier post for providing this info. Your response seemed fairly defensive. I may have worded incorrectly; wasn't meaning to doubt your expertise.

    2. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-17-2011 05:59 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by jpbran View Post
      I wasn't meaning to offend or second guess. It's hard to know with many other sites and online stores saying CANBUS is or can be an issue with the DRLs (and you're being especially cautious once you've been screwed over by defective bulbs). Also, I was again just speculating about the headlights. It would seem if any bulb would provide a warning when out, it would be the headlights.

      I'd thanked you in an earlier post for providing this info. Your response seemed fairly defensive. I may have worded incorrectly; wasn't meaning to doubt your expertise.

      No offense taken, after reading what I wrote I guess I could see how it could be taken.. no worries!

      If you want to pay the premium for CANBUS bulbs, then by all means do so. A lot of people are used to forking over high prices after owning and modding a German car. Simple "bulb out" systems work in the way that if the circuit is not complete or the voltage is wrong then the error comes on. CANBUS adds circuitry to combat this, you probably would not get a "bulb out" with a CANBUS LED if after thousands of hours it does burn out.


      Again I do apologize to have sounded defensive, not my intention, its hard to convey emotion through text.




      Thanks for the thanks.
      ~jb
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    3. Member
      Join Date
      May 18th, 2008
      Location
      Nashville, TN
      Posts
      281
      Vehicles
      Formerly: '11 Jetta SEL, '13 Passat TDI SE, '14 Infiniti Q50 (pos!); Now: '13 Audi A4 Q P+
      06-18-2011 12:19 AM #53


      PS-- One more question. Any advice or tips for the map and overhead lights still staying on slightly when not actually "on?" Is this a real worry? I figure LEDs use such a small amount of power anyway, and when only on at about 5% power, it surely can't run down a 1' sq. battery. Anything I can do to correct this, or should I just ignore it?

    4. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-19-2011 03:14 AM #54
      Got a little bored this evening...

      Not sure if I'm sold on the look




      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    5. 06-19-2011 05:02 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by jpbran View Post
      It would seem if any bulb would provide a warning when out, it would be the headlights.
      This is taken mildly out of context, but why would you need a warning on headlights? A headlight that's out should be fairly obvious to even a casual observer.





      Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

    6. 06-19-2011 07:47 PM #56
      hi ~jb,

      do you know if the fog light are the same as the 2010 golf? just the fog light, because i know the grill is different. I want to know if the fog light of the 2010 golf has the same screw holes as the 2011 jetta.

      thanks
      junky

    7. Member
      Join Date
      May 18th, 2008
      Location
      Nashville, TN
      Posts
      281
      Vehicles
      Formerly: '11 Jetta SEL, '13 Passat TDI SE, '14 Infiniti Q50 (pos!); Now: '13 Audi A4 Q P+
      06-19-2011 09:25 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post
      This is taken mildly out of context, but why would you need a warning on headlights? A headlight that's out should be fairly obvious to even a casual observer.





      Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
      One would think that, but it's kinda disproven by the amount of dumba$$ drivers at night without their headlights even being on at all.
      Last edited by jpbran; 06-20-2011 at 11:07 AM.

    8. Member cxavier's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 12th, 2000
      Location
      Baltimore, MD
      Posts
      354
      Vehicles
      2014 Jetta TDI
      06-20-2011 02:52 PM #58
      This looks like what I want to do with my headlights but I also want to have the drl's off when the switch is off. I have a Euro switch, I like to be able to turn the lights completely off but I also still wanted to have the drl's come on when in parking light position instead of off position.

      What did you do to achieve this? Require some re-wiring...I'm a wiz with a soldering iron...

      Quote Originally Posted by ~jb View Post
      Got a little bored this evening...

      Not sure if I'm sold on the look





    9. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-21-2011 05:00 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by cxavier View Post
      This looks like what I want to do with my headlights but I also want to have the drl's off when the switch is off. I have a Euro switch, I like to be able to turn the lights completely off but I also still wanted to have the drl's come on when in parking light position instead of off position.

      What did you do to achieve this? Require some re-wiring...I'm a wiz with a soldering iron...

      I would say this is not possible because, because you would need to tap power from the (side marker) which is CANBUS. If you got a CANBUS side marker LED and a CANBUS DRL LED that just might work.
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    10. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-21-2011 05:22 AM #60
      UPDATE 06/21/11

      Well last night was another fuse blowing evening.

      Last night I focused on the Tail lights. (inner and outer)

      Inner:


      Ba15s (W5W) Running - replaced with a 9 SMD LED. No problems
      1156 Turn Signal - replaced with 9 SMD LED. Power Leak, LED dim lit.

      Outer:


      1157 Running/Brake - replaced with a 9 SMD LED. Power Leak, LED dim lit. & CANBUS error.
      1156 Reverse - replaced with 9 SMD LED. Hyper Flash (dash only) Normal flash on exterior. CANBUS error.


      Somehow I popped the fuse to the turn signals, and the reverse lights. found it and replaced it, everything is back to normal.

      So now I have to break down and order CANBUS LEDS. I am not looking forward to dropping real money for LEDS, but its the price to pay if I wanna play. I will keep everyone posted as always.

      ~jb
      Last edited by ~jb; 06-21-2011 at 05:25 AM.
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    11. Member
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2010
      Location
      North Jersey
      Posts
      12,933
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      06-21-2011 07:25 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by ~jb View Post
      UPDATE 06/21/11

      Well last night was another fuse blowing evening.

      Last night I focused on the Tail lights. (inner and outer)

      Inner:

      Ba15s (W5W) Running - replaced with a 9 SMD LED. No problems
      W5W doesm't use a BA15S base. You got a typo there.
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

    12. 06-21-2011 08:08 PM #62
      On my car, I'm getting the minor draw on the 1156 lights on the inner housing. These might need to be canbus.

      Trying to upload an image, might not have enough posts yet to do it.

    13. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-21-2011 08:17 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post
      On my car, I'm getting the minor draw on the 1156 lights on the inner housing. These might need to be canbus.

      Trying to upload an image, might not have enough posts yet to do it.
      weird, on my car those are fine.
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    14. 06-21-2011 08:25 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by ~jb View Post
      weird, on my car those are fine.
      Yeah, but I didn't blow any fuses on my tail lights either -- so maybe I'm just lucky that way. Might need a load resistor rather than canbus.

      All that's left for me is the front of the car -- I'd love to get the front DRL switched over, but it isn't end of the world type stuff either if I don't.

      Cheers,

    15. 06-22-2011 12:22 PM #65
      On my car, I'm getting the minor draw on the 1156 lights on the inner housing. These might need to be canbus.

      Trying to upload an image, might not have enough posts yet to do it.
      weird, on my car those are fine.
      This morning, I turned on the engine and the dashboard kiss of death, i.e. the bulb out indicator is on. Nothing on the back of the car is lighting up... Good times for me.

      Which fuse are the tail lights on and what's the capacity? I can pick them up near my office if I know what I need.

      Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

    16. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-22-2011 01:05 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post
      This morning, I turned on the engine and the dashboard kiss of death, i.e. the bulb out indicator is on. Nothing on the back of the car is lighting up... Good times for me.

      Which fuse are the tail lights on and what's the capacity? I can pick them up near my office if I know what I need.
      LOL, last night I got the same kiss of death for the inner running LEDs. The rear is going to take a little more work then I thought. I'm sorry though I don't know which fuse is for the tails. Not sure VWoA reasoning for not including a fuse layout. Anytime I blow one (which I have done quite a bit) I just pull them till I find it.

      Making a proper fuse layout to add the the FAQ is on my to do list though.


      ~jb
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    17. 06-22-2011 01:09 PM #67
      Don't have much time to experiment before I have to drive.

      and of course the blown fuse is a significant safety hazard.

      Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

    18. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-22-2011 01:16 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post
      Don't have much time to experiment before I have to drive.

      and of course the blown fuse is a significant safety hazard.

      Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
      Hey if there is no challenge, then your not trying!
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    19. 06-22-2011 01:19 PM #69
      Lots of stop and go driving on a trip this afternoon.

      if I were parked in my garage it would be a no brainer... I'm not.

      Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

    20. 06-23-2011 10:36 PM #70
      A little slow to reply, but I finally got a chance to check it out. No blown fuse, just the bulb out indicator. I think I'd prefer the blown fuse!

      Cheers,



      Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

    21. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-23-2011 10:47 PM #71
      list out all your LEDs and I will tell you which one is causing the error.
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    22. 06-25-2011 04:35 PM #72
      Which specific 194s did you use in your Jetta (please include link to website) for the city/parking bulb? I ordered some 194s (http://www.hidxenonlights.com/led-ca...ror-free-p-712) that I am using for my license plate lights and I decided to pop one out and try it in the bulb holder for the city/parking light and it didn't fit. Even though it's a wedge-type bulb, the base is too thick for this particular bulb holder. Any guidance you can provide it appreciated.
      RBBCPA
      2011 Jetta SEL w/Sport Package/Silver on Black Leatherette
      Other cars in the garage:
      2004 Maxima 3.5 L SL, 2009 Honda Odyssey with Navi

    23. Member ~jb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2011
      Posts
      501
      Vehicles
      Mk6 TDI/DSG/NAV - Mk6 GLI/DSG/AB/NAV
      06-26-2011 06:01 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by rbbcpa View Post
      Which specific 194s did you use in your Jetta (please include link to website) for the city/parking bulb? I ordered some 194s (http://www.hidxenonlights.com/led-ca...ror-free-p-712) that I am using for my license plate lights and I decided to pop one out and try it in the bulb holder for the city/parking light and it didn't fit. Even though it's a wedge-type bulb, the base is too thick for this particular bulb holder. Any guidance you can provide it appreciated.

      Ebay. Find a USA seller and you can get bulbs to your door in less then a week. Search 194 5 SMD LED

      Like so: click

      You need (7) 194 bulbs total.

      2 - City
      2 - Map
      1 - Glovebox
      2 - License Plate


      Goodluck.
      PAST: 11' MK6 JTDI (DSG)
      PAST: 13' MK6 APR STG1 GLI (DSG)

      Jb's Official Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide <--- UPDATED 04/2013

    24. Member theunderlord's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 24th, 2011
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      192
      Vehicles
      07 Duramax / 11 Golf TDI
      06-26-2011 09:00 PM #74
      thanks for this, tackled the interior LED's this afternoon, easy as pie.

      MK6 Golf TDI 6MT. 18" Tarmac. H&R SS. Golf Ball Knob. LED Interior. Tint.

    25. 06-26-2011 11:32 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by ~jb View Post
      list out all your LEDs and I will tell you which one is causing the error.
      1156 x6 (eb stores)
      194/t10 x5 (metapark)
      39Mm festoon x4 (metapark)
      44mm festoon x1 (metapark)
      ba15s x2 (metapark)
      Ba15s x2 (super bright leds)

      The last ba15s I put in might be the culprit. It wasn't clicking in like I would expect. I might order another pair from super bright as they are local to me.

      Cheers,




      Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

    Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •