Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2.0 Jetta - Need some opinions on misfires

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GL & 09 JSW TDI
      05-31-2011 11:26 PM #1
      Hello!
      My girlfriend has an 03 Jetta 2.slow. She has been having some issues in damp weather where she would get pretty rough acceleration, the car threw misfire codes. As far as I remember, it always had one code for multiple random misfires and one code for misfires of cylinder 2.
      Since it was about time for new plugs anyway, I replaced those along with the wires. I want to try to start with the cheaper things to rule those out first.
      All has been good for a while, until she drove it yesterday (it was humid but not not really damp). Now she had a new issue: She said she was getting an extremely rough idle, but not the acceleration issue anymore. I pulled these codes:
      HTML Code:
      Address 01: Engine        Labels: 06A-906-032-AVH.lbl
         Part No: 06A 906 032 MD
         Component: 2.0l R4/2V      G   4623  
         Coding: 00003
         Shop #: WSC 00066  
         VCID: 6CDD2C9C361B
         3VWRK69M43M059447     VWZ7Z0B5856152

2 Faults Found:
      16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected 
                  P0300 - 35-10 -  -  - Intermittent
      16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected 
                  P0302 - 35-10 -  -  - Intermittent
      Readiness: 0000 0000
      Now I would think that if it is the ignition coil that is bad and causing this and the previous issues, that it would happen under acceleration also. What do you guys think?
      I think I will swap out the coil either way, but I am just trying to see if there is something else going on also.
      I guess I am just doing a sanity check and see if I'm on the right track. What do you think? Anyone had this before?

2. 06-01-2011 12:29 AM #2
      sounds like you've narrowed it down to the ignition coil, that's what I'd look at next

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      04 Jetta
      06-01-2011 01:57 PM #3
      Just Had the same issues with my 2.slow. Code P0300 and P0301. It was the coil all the way. Take off the secondary air injection pump and look at the top of the coil. Chances are you will see tiny micro-fracture cracks that almost look like dry rot on tires. If you do, pretty sure the coil is the issue. Its a quick fix, just not cheap. Good luck. Also search around to find one with a lifetime warranty. They are out there.

4. 06-01-2011 02:03 PM #4
      I really want you to do this too, because I had all cylinder misfires after I bought the brand new 2005 updated coilpack and ****.

Add another ground to the ground wire that comes from the coilpack plug. My stock ground went bad, so my buddy whom worked at the porsche dealer ( he had to do this often to porsches apparently ) but he added the ground and my misfires didn't happen again. The ground is underneath the battery tray.

I can't properly explain technically, i'm horrible with electrical. But thats what he did.