VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1988 CABBY.....work in progress....PIC HEAVY

94K views 937 replies 99 participants last post by  mr pibbs 
#1 · (Edited)
1988 CABBY.....work in progress....PIC HEAVY...fuel pump questions/opinions

the day i got it....

then started the work......

FOUND THE OLD PICS....

...ok, ive had this car a while, worked on it off and on, and now im getting it finished up to drive.....almost there...

See less See more
#35 ·
also, and yes i have been all over looking for this...what fuel pressure is required to run the cis setup properly?....i cant ind a number....psi required from the pump....i ordered the Airtex E3240 and i, like i said want to replace the 2 pumps with this one....but....i now am not sure its strong enough...as i cand find out why this swap isnt good for CIS......the intank setup pictured in that how to looks the same as mine....so i cant see why it wouldnt work other that fuel pressure....and if that isnt the issue, its just a matte of fitment and making sure the feed and return lines are good....there is already a filter under the hood so that solves that fix....

#38 ·
I would imagine it would not work because the way CIS delivers fuel. Digifant is a digital fuel control system as apposed to CIS mechanical fuel control. You change the rate of fuel delivery over the stock rate and you will have to find some other way to manage it.

Someone else with much more experience than me could possibly chime in with the PSI it requires and maybe you could get something to work with one pump.

#40 ·
thats good.....if so...than this pump should work....i really cant see why one pump is unreasonable.....i had even considered keeping the accumulator....that way i might not loose pressure due to starving in the tank in cornering....i dont know...this seems like a no brainer but it seems the more i read the crazier it seems to do.....the old cis setups had one inline pump and a type of pick-up in the tank....so i fugue i can make this work....as long as the pump is strong enough, which from what i can tell is fine with this one...i just like i said, as long as the lines are run right where the old inline job was...it should by all rights work fine, and may even be more efficient.

#42 ·
CIS from what ive read is a manual fuel injection system that is mildly adjustable.....givin this info, and the fact that the pump simply delivers the fuel....at a certain psi....the pump swap should be a non issue....as long as the replacement pump is able to provide the right amount of pressure, it shouldnt matter if there is 1 or 15 pumps....with this said that pump i ordered should be fine considering the psi specs i researched..cis needs 68-78psi....and the pump makes 95psi...then i can richen or lean out the mixture accordingly once its in and running....this to me is more a matter of basic logic versus theories.....and logically this will work.....why they made this car with two pumps baffles me....i get the starving issues....but most every other car made has one....and they all dont starve.....it seems it would have been more efficient and cheaper to have made this or any car with one pump...

#46 ·
lol...

i actually drove it tonight......new oil in...cleaned the plugs....jumped it....and it ran, it was a bit rough at 1st but after it warmed up...i went all over the neighborhood and it was fine....crazy...so i guess that rotted fuel line was the biggest part of the problem.....it did however overheat...dunno why yet...but ill tinker with that later...:D

#47 ·
still starting and running, almost right at 1st key turn.....jumping it btw, as i havent bought a battery yet.....anyway...its still overheating/purging coolant from the res./fill jug while it sits idling in the driveway.....and the fan doesnt come on...but i think i got out all the air, as i did flush the cooling system a few months back long before i ran the motor......so after reading all sorts of threads on here...I have removed the top hose and filled both the block and the radiator but it seems i still have some tinkering to do with the cooling system and such.....oh another question...it seems the whoe time ive had the car, when driving the temp gauge on the dash bobs all over, going up on acceleration, is that something common?

#48 ·
UPDATE.....

ok...no longer overheating.......when i flushed the coolant system i forgot to put the fan/temp sensor plug bag on the radiator...duh.....

anyhow, I drove it all over the neighborhood again, put gas in it, and got on it a bit with no problems...however, the main fuel pump is in fact whining, and......without a battery i would come back to the house every round or so to look at everything....meanwhile the car ran and idled the whole time, actually the motor gradually sounded smoother...idles really nicely.....but the last attempt for another run around the block......it shuttered.....than stalled.......remember the no battery part....just pushed it home alone.....thank god these are light cars.....SO....BACK TO THE ORIGINAL ISSUE......fuel pumps...dying...YES....new pump should be here tomorrow....then the real project is on......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.