VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1988 CABBY.....work in progress....PIC HEAVY

94K views 937 replies 99 participants last post by  mr pibbs 
#1 · (Edited)
1988 CABBY.....work in progress....PIC HEAVY...fuel pump questions/opinions

the day i got it....

then started the work......

FOUND THE OLD PICS....

...ok, ive had this car a while, worked on it off and on, and now im getting it finished up to drive.....almost there...

See less See more
#63 ·
http://apps.bosch.com.au/motorsport/downloads/fuelpumps.pdf

ok...just found this....the stock inline pump for my car makes 5 bar....72.5psi.....now...with that said...there is no rational explanation as to why this wont work....the pump i ordered makes 85-95psi....

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A REASON WHY THIS SHOULD'NT WORK?

based on the basic mechanical functions of a fuel delivery system....this will work fine...as long as the pump can be installed properly to ensure maximum pickup of the said fuel, it can and will push it to the motor with adequate pressure for CIS....

makes sense to me...

#65 ·
My 88' gave me fits last summer......started up and ran great for about 10-15 minutes then buck, shutter and shut off, wait about 5-10 min and she'd start back up and run for a lil while ...swapped in-tank pump and hasnt done it since (knock on wood) !!! As for your pump idea, the pressure may be fine but what about volume ?

#66 ·
ok...there is a part of the distribution block, on the back side....an electrical unit...two fuel lines run to it, and an wire plug in....it whines kind of....so while the car was idling i unplugged it...and the car idled very rough, but didnt stall...since, now it whines...car idles fine...but it stops periodically and the car idles low and rough....it appears to be dying...but i have no clue what it is!! HELP

#67 ·
started it again.....and that "thingy"....back to whining consistently again....the issue most worry some is that it does seem to idle smooth....but after when i rev it to drive, even just a bit going into gear... then let it drop back to idle....it drops lower...the lights dim...then it smooths back out again...but my drop in RPMs is what worries me.....what controls the consistency and stabilization of the idle..??

#70 ·
my deduction.....

REASON this doesnt work.....isnt simply the psi needed, but also the volume....so it seems this airtex pump pushes hard enough, it just doesnt push enough fuel to do the job....so its smaller?..smaller inlet/oulets?....

But....considering the CIS system runs primarily on pressure, considering that almost 99% of the fuel slammed into the distribution block goes back into the tank via the return line....maybe it could work and the amount of return fuel will be less.....

the real question is just that....which does it need more....pressure or volume..?

and....doesnt the pressure vs. volume become null and void when you consider that no matter how hard you push the fuel only so much can fit through the line?....so does the fuel line size increase the psi, or decrease the volume?......

#77 ·
1) They wouldn't put an electrical plug on it, because they don't know what YOU are connecting it to. So it would be a waste of money to put a random connector on it.

2) Roller Vane is the type of pump, this model flows 12 gallons per hour, wide open (full blast) with a 40 psi shut off or 65-95. Too vague to tell.

3) Google is your friend, you could figure this out I'm sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.