VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

VWvortex Project Beetle RS - Stage I

30K views 120 replies 76 participants last post by  Deezel Boy 
#1 ·
We like the new 2012 Beetle. Our readers like the new 2012 Beetle. So when VW called up and asked if we could modify one "a little bit", we simply asked how soon they could get it over to us. There were a few conditions however. For starters this is one of only a handful of preproduction autoshow cars in the U.S. and the car can't be driven on the streets as it was made to sit on a turntable and that's it. No registration, no plates, no airbags = no street legal. No problem we say, we'll steer clear of engine mods for now and concentrate on what we can do cosmetically. Secondly we needed to get the car done to what we called "Stage I" level by VW's dealer conference this week so they could show it to dealers. That meant we had about 2.5 weeks to get all the parts we needed, refinish the wheels, make sure everything actually bolted up to a brand new model and order a few other odds and ends. But the opportunity to be the first to modify a new Beetle doesn't come along very often and who's going to turn this down?

FULL STORY and GALLERY

See less See more
#77 ·
My sentiments exactly.

Never mess with the best...

#14 ·
wow, looks great. Never thought I would consider owning a beetle but now...

#20 ·
It doesn't need more low to me. Stance is just right. It's beautiful.

#26 · (Edited)
Looks amazing! I think the wheels and the stance look perfect. What an exciting opportunity.
I agree with you gentlemen.
Awesome stance. Looks amazing.

I'm getting sick of the "go lower" mentality around here.
Clearly, we've been in the game a lot longer.
Listen to your elders- low isn't everything.

As far as the taking the decals OFF because they haven't added the 'go' bits yet..
Silly.
It will live up to the RS badge. Give em a minute.

#31 · (Edited)
ebay....

Porsche wheels aren't really that expensive
Let me help:

"The first major hurdle was trying to track down a set of Porsche GT3RS wheels in a 19" size. The stock wheels are $1,500 a piece. Getting a set of 19" GT3RS replica wheels has proven to be very difficult and compounding the issue is that the Beetle Turbo model has 19" wheels stock with 235-45R19 tires. So putting another 19" wheel wouldn't look all that special."

I'm cool with the VMRs.
The guys at VMR make quality reps and support the VW/Audi community.
Why do you think so many people buy their product?
It's also cool to see a project car that's affordable for the everyday guy like me that reads these Vortex articles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.