Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Juiceless in Seattle? The Emerald City gets some charging stations and joins the Electric Highway care of EV Project

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Audi GT, old (but not tired) 84 jetta
      09-25-2012 04:33 PM #281
      Elon is gonna do it his way or the highway. Wait, he's gonna do both now with the Supercharger.

Well, I have tried to learn as much as possible from prior attempts.

If nothing else, we are committed to failing in a new way.
      Quote Originally Posted by uncle_scott View Post
      Tailgating: driving so far up someone's ass that you can't see a road hazard ahead..

2. Member
      Vehicles
      MB 300TD
      09-26-2012 10:47 AM #282
      This last march

http://www.technologicvehicles.com/e...tric-vehicle-s

First Tour de France in an electric vehicle: starting on March 10th!
      30 January 2012
      We team_up with Fabrice CAPITAINE for his Tour de France in an electric vehicle, the objective is to travel 3418 km in 7 days.

Fabrice has already successfully experienced eco-driving with a podium at the Monaco Rally of Alternative Energies behind the wheel of a Toyota Auris hybrid, achieving a power consumption that placed him just behind Eric Comas who won the challenge two times with his Tesla Roadster.
      By the numbers
      > Total distance: 3418 kms
      > Maximum distance between two stops 272 kms
      > Average daily distance 490km
      Quote Originally Posted by classicjetta View Post
      It has ultra low miles because it doesn't run most of the time

3. Member
      Vehicles
      MkI Jetta TD
      09-26-2012 06:52 PM #283
      Just love to see the Roadsters on display

Quote Originally Posted by Barry2952
      I dragged her back to see the $4,500 Pacer. She hated it, but we bought it. She went home and cried. (when we sold it) my wife put an ad in the newspaper. A woman came out to look at the car. She said, "I really didn't go out looking for a Pacer." My wife replied, "Lady, nobody goes out looking for a Pacer. It's eighteen hundred bucks, take it or leave it!" The woman took it and drove away smiling. My wife cried.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
      09-26-2012 07:03 PM #284
      Sonoma County

Paris:
      We received a tip on an owner of a Fisker Karma in Paris that goes to great lengths - literally - to charge his hybrid sedan.

In the 16th District of Paris in "Place d’iena," where homes sell for about $3 million, a reader was able to take a picture of this Fisker Karma with its extension cord snaked out of its window.

Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      It's like the prototype came out of the design studio and someone said, "Christ on a crutch, this is what our design team came up with?? A Camry???" And the front and rear fascia team said, "Not for long!"

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 mini cooper S, '83 jetta
      09-26-2012 07:37 PM #285
      Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hopkins View Post

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by wantacad View Post
      hey now, unbolting the rear bumper, dropping the beam and gas tank to change out an exhaust hanger is perfectly normal.

6. Member
      09-26-2012 10:14 PM #286
      Two of 'em~

in Amsterdam.

Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      Locking it up because it's going to get worse mileage than a 1 legged dog with a hang over - yet stir up more crap than a starving catfish in a landfill.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      two Audis, 79 wabbit diesel, two 84 jettas/85 jetta TD
      09-27-2012 11:37 AM #287
      Another Amsterdam shot:

Quote Originally Posted by Blackohio
      Built in boost gauge in the dash. One of my friends at the time saw that turbo was on theoretical empty and asked if we needed to stop and get more turbo. I gave it gas and he was like wait, its full now. Had to quickly explain the process.
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      so basically the OP has no clue about anything and just posts out of his ass?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '86 GTI, 79 diesel rat rabbit
      09-27-2012 12:40 PM #288
      That thing sure is wild looking

Quote Originally Posted by Will Rogers
      Never slap a man who is chewing tobacco.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk1 Scirocco, '83 TD Jetta
      10-06-2012 02:12 AM #289
      Electric taxi service

Washington State

Cowlitz County

Electric taxi service-Cowlitz County duo launches excellent services

Ron Knori and Cindy Stephenson are all charged up about their new, all-electric taxicab service in Cowlitz County, one of the first of its kind on the country's only green highway.

Knori, who owns Twin City Paints, and Stephenson, an elementary school teacher, have been operating EcoCab since May. Their current fleet includes two Chevrolet Volts and two Nissan Leafs.
      "We're totally a zero emissions company," said Knori, who has a charging station at his Longview home.
      Knori and Kelso resident Stephenson are hoping to capitalize on the electric car buzz, which reignited in 2010 when Nissan released the first mass-market gasoline-free car in decades. Although sales of all-electric vehicles have been slow this year, according to industry analysts, the promise of the new technology has spurred developments that may help companies like EcoCab grow.
      This summer, Washington state transportation officials finished installing four charging stations on Interstate 5, including one at the Cascade Select Market in Castle Rock. The project is part of the West Coast Electric Highway, a $1.32 million federal plan to Interstate 5 the nation's first "green freeway" from California to Canada.
      "I think electric vehicles are here to stay. It's only going to grow," said Tonia Buell, a spokeswoman for the West Coast Electric Highway.
      Buell said she's heard of plans to create electric cab fleets at SeaTac International and in San Francisco, but they have not yet launched. Knori said he was told by representatives of Chevrolet, which helped fit the cars for taxi meters, that EcoCab is the first all-electric cab company in the United States. Another company, Electric Cab of Austin, started a taxi service in Texas using electric golf carts in 2008.
      Buell added that EcoCab "makes a lot of business sense. And it's a great opportunity for people to try out a ride in an electric vehicle."
      EcoCab charges $2.50 for pickups and $2.25 per mile. Unlike other taxi services, EcoCab doesn't need to tack on extra fees for gas, which Knori said are typically two to three dollars per ride. The cab's meter also turns off while the car is idling, which he said can shave a few extra dollars off the price of a ride.

The cab service operates 24 hours a days with seven drivers. Logistically, it's can be a hassle to switch out vehicles for recharging, but Knori and Stephenson said they anticipate more stations will be built as electric cars catch on.
      Knori said he bought hybrid vehicles for his painting service, which launched the idea of the all-electric cab service. Stephenson said she wanted to be involved in a business that can both make money and help the environment.
      "I always thought if I'm going to do something, if I'm going to invest in something, I want to do it for a purpose," she said.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1979 rabbit
      10-06-2012 01:34 PM #290
      Quote Originally Posted by Powderkeg View Post
      Electric taxi service

Washington State

Cowlitz County

I just met them yesterday. Super in person and have a reputation of excellent service. Was surprised to see the Volt roll right past me in Kelso, Washington. First of their kind, that's for sure.

2 Volts, 2 Leafs.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton
      If everybody's thinking the same thing, then nobody's thinking.
      Quote Originally Posted by Einstein
      In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Mazda MX-6, 79 rusty bunny
      10-07-2012 10:03 AM #291
      I was wondering when I'd start seeing things like this. Southwest Washington.

Good for them!

Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with it, right? So a lot of times I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      How hard is that to understand without getting your panties in a bunch?
      Surely some of you guys managed to make it out of middle school.

12. 10-07-2012 11:24 AM #292
      I just don't know about these plug in type of stations. So if you want to charge you take it to these plug in and then you wait ?? 5 - 8 hours??? Why can't they just create highways that will charge your vehicle while driving on the highway perfected for electric vehicles? I mean it just looks hectic taking it to these charging stations and dropping your car off to charge. Oh looks like i'm low on battery 5% I take it to charging station fully charge time 10 hours........

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1982 Audi GT coupe, '83 jetta coupe, 85 jetta TD
      10-17-2012 02:21 AM #293
      A123 bites the dust.

What went wrong with A123

Not long ago, A123 Systems Inc. AONE -74.17% was seen as a rising technology company that was going to help revolutionize the auto industry and put thousands of Americans into battery-powered cars.

But once the hype over electric vehicles settled down, the Waltham, Mass., company was tripped up by slower-than-expected advances in battery technology, stubbornly high costs of electric vehicles and consumer worries about cars that potentially could run out of juice and leave them stranded.

A123, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Tuesday, got its start making lithium-ion batteries for power tools, and tried to use its expertise to produce large packs of batteries for cars. Early on it attracted big-name investors, including General Electric Co., GE 0.00% and a grant from the U.S. government in 2009 to build a plant in Michigan.

Three years ago, the Obama administration set a goal of getting one million electric or plug-in vehicles on American roads by 2015, but that target has turned out to be wildly optimistic. In the first nine months of the year, Nissan Motor Co. 7201.TO -0.88% has sold just 9,674 Leaf electric cars, and General Motors Co. GM +1.27% has sold 7,671 rechargeable Volt compacts—a tiny fraction out of the total market of 12.8 million light vehicles.

One problem is range. Current battery technology only allows the Leaf to go about 80 miles before it needs a recharge. A123 and other battery makers had hoped advances would increase the range, and lower costs but that hasn't happened yet.

Most electric cars are more expensive than consumers are willing to pay, even with government rebates. After a $7,500 federal rebate, the Volt still sells for more than $30,000.

In 2011, A123's revenue increased to $159.15 million, but it has had trouble staying out of red ink. In the past five years, the company has lost $877.7 million, including a loss of $269 million through August of this year. Its market capitalization had recently dropped to just $41 million from $1.6 billion at the end of 2009, a few months after its public listing of shares.

A123's balance sheet took a hit last year from charges related mainly to its investment in a customer, electric-car company Fisker Automotive, which has struggled to ramp up production and sales. In March, A123 also disclosed it expected to spend at least $55 million in coming quarters on a recall of defective batteries.
      “I wasn't trying to wreck him, I just wanted to rattle his cage.”... Dale Earnhardt
      Quote Originally Posted by porridgehead
      It's all about the tires. I drove my M3 in the snow. With the summer tires on, it was the safest car in the world in the snow. In fact, it was a statue. You could not make it move with half an inch of snow on the ground.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Mazda MX-6, 79 rusty bunny
      10-17-2012 11:25 AM #294
      lot of people bought it. Some of the smartest money on the planet invested hundreds of millions in the startup, including the venture arms of General Electric, Qualcomm, Sequoia Capital and early Google backer Mike Moritz. A123 hit the Nasdaq in 2009, raising $371 million in the largest venture-backed IPO of the year.

Then things started to fall apart, as they did with much of the greentech economy.

The fundamental problem that A123 faced was that its particular “prismatic” battery technology for automobiles didn’t follow the price/power curves the company had expected. Although companies like Fisker Automotive were using A123 batteries in cars, it was a money-losing proposition.

“It cost more to make them than they could sell them to their customers for,” says Andrea James, an industry analyst with Dougherty & Co. “Every single battery pack was sold at a gross loss. The more they sold the more they lost.”

Even with all of A123s fundraising efforts, from private, public and government sources, the cost of producing their batteries didn’t drop fast enough to save the business. There was a nebulous future point where it could have happened, but A123 simply ran out of cash and time.

Meanwhile, competitors, chiefly from Asia, including companies like Panasonic, Hitachi, LG, NEC, Sanyo and BYD Battery, more adeptly rode the consumer electronics innovation curve. They figured out how to provide batteries for all sorts of electronics, from laptops to cars, and make money doing it. Tesla Motors, a pioneer in the latest wave of electric vehicles, uses battery cells from Panasonic. The Chevrolet Volt uses technology from LG.

So what of President Obama’s hopes of an electric future that’s made in the U.S.A? In a statement on the DOE’s site, government officials continue offering support for a domestic battery industry, painting Johnson Control’s acquisition of A123 as a natural consequence of consolidation within emerging industries. “Four years ago, virtually all advanced vehicle batteries were built overseas,” the statement reads, “and it looked like the United States might miss out on this enormously important, rapidly expanding market.”

It looks like it still might.

A123 Systems, in better days, hosting a visit by U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu, second from right, during a tour of the company’s battery plant in Romulus, Michigan, in 2011. The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy today. Photo: Carlos Osorio/Associated Press
      Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with it, right? So a lot of times I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      How hard is that to understand without getting your panties in a bunch?
      Surely some of you guys managed to make it out of middle school.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      10-17-2012 03:23 PM #295

Voivo campus in Greensboro

he Volvo campus in Greensboro NC now has EV charging stations for their EV-driving employees to use.
      hey now, unbolting the rear bumper, dropping the beam and gas tank to change out an exhaust hanger is perfectly normal.

Vehicles
      605 Nogaro S4
      10-17-2012 03:30 PM #296

our town is full of these. Doesn't matter what time of year it is, you will always see granola.
      Quote Originally Posted by bluerabbit0886 View Post
      A friend of mine is at law school at Gonzaga. He says Spokane is a real **** show. Florida of the Pacific Northwest...
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      There was a separate petition for it. So no, I don't think Austin is the demographic in Texas looking to secede. But **** Austin anyways.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 240 Z, early jetta TD
      11-10-2012 11:38 AM #297

seems a reasonable alternative to gas lines when problems arise with the supply chain
      Quote Originally Posted by David Votoupal
      The car sucked in every way imaginable, that it entered the annals as one of the worst cars ever built. It was shoddily built in a plant where labour relations were atrocious. It rusted like hell, and the aluminium engine had the durability of a soggy potato chip. Few cars could have been so thoroughly bad Despite the "explosion" controversy, the Ford Pinto compared favourably to the Vega, and that's saying something.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      1963 Volvo 1800 S, '84 jetta
      11-11-2012 10:28 AM #298

San Fran
      Quote Originally Posted by cartalk
      "As near as I could tell, the car was built from compressed rust."

19. Member
      Vehicles
      11-17-2012 12:37 PM #299
      New kid on the block

Spark EV

(charge port on fender)

“I wasn't trying to wreck him, I just wanted to rattle his cage.”... Dale Earnhardt
      It's all about the tires. I drove my M3 in the snow. With the summer tires on, it was the safest car in the world in the snow. In fact, it was a statue. You could not make it move with half an inch of snow on the ground.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      11-17-2012 12:58 PM #300
      Looks like the infrastructure is getting in place and on schedule.

this was May of this year

21. Member
      Vehicles
      11-17-2012 02:56 PM #301
      Charging Ahead on an Electric Highway

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/au...ture.html?_r=0

LAST Monday I drove the Model S, a full-size sedan recently introduced by Tesla, the California electric-car start-up, from Lake Tahoe to Los Angeles. I covered 531 miles and the drive took 11.5 hours, during which the car consumed zero gasoline and produced no tailpipe emissions.

My route, the first a Model S owner might take using Tesla Motors’ network of so-called Superchargers, previewed a significant advance in the practicality of battery-electric cars. Tesla’s string of strategically placed high-speed chargers made possible something that has not been available to American E.V. drivers: the ability to make a long-distance drive in a single day.

The Supercharger, Tesla’s name for a proposed nationwide network of electric-car filling stations, outlines the most tangible blueprint so far of petroleum-free driving in the United States. “The one big holdout with most E.V.’s today is that you can’t take a road trip,” said J B Straubel, Tesla’s chief technical officer. “What happens if I want to go across the country? I can’t tell you how many times we get that question.”

Tesla’s answer is to install powerful charging stations — pumping electricity at 90 kilowatts, adding about 250 miles of range in an hour — at key locations between major cities. There’s plenty of range for intracity travel. The goal of the charging network is to enable intercity journeys, eventually on a nationwide basis.

Before the end of October, the company plans to open its first charging locations to customers who have bought the Model S. Owners with the 85-kilowatt-hour battery, which comes equipped to use the Supercharger system (the fast-charge capability is optional on the 60 kilowatt-hour model) will receive free electric fuel for life at the stations.

Mr. Straubel said he saw the high-speed chargers as “the final piece of the whole technology suite” enabling Tesla to “take on an enormous part of the market we couldn’t reach before.”

My journey began at 6:55 a.m. at Kings Beach, Calif., elevation 6,000 feet, on Lake Tahoe’s north shore. The 85-kilowatt-hour battery pack, which has an E.P.A.-rated range of 265 miles, was only three-quarters full when I left, but the Model S had no trouble with the 100 miles, much of it downhill, to the first charger in Folsom, Calif. When I arrived, the battery pack still held 40 percent of its capacity.

At 9:25 a.m. in Folsom I pulled the Model S close to the pedestal that carries the charging cable, which is only four feet long to ensure that it never falls to the ground and gets run over. The Supercharger itself, about the size and shape of a small refrigerator, sits 30 feet away. Plugging in was as easy as charging at home and simpler than using a gas pump.

On the Model S, the fast charger connects to a port hidden behind a door in the driver-side taillight — the same one used for lower-power refueling at home.

Amenities near the Folsom charger, as with other Tesla network locations, were not an obvious match for the automaker’s upscale demographic. Tesla identified places close to chain restaurants, restrooms, Wi-Fi and motels.

Twenty-two minutes after plugging in, the charger had restored 100 miles of range in the Model S. It took another 20 minutes to add the next 50 miles because the rate of charging tapers down as the battery fills. Think of it as electrons having more difficulty squeezing into an increasingly crowded space. The smart strategy for fastest charging is to arrive at a destination with a nearly empty battery.

Another five minutes of charging brought the estimated range to 254 miles, enough to make it to the next stop, Coalinga. Tesla engineers advised holding my speed to 70 miles per hour just to make sure. No restrictions were placed on air-conditioner use, though.

The Supercharger is clever in its construction. It starts with the same 10-kilowatt charger that is onboard every Model S. To build the Supercharger, the company strings together 12 of the same units, which were designed from the beginning as building blocks.

“It’s good modular engineering,” Mr. Straubel said. “We configured all the circuitry, the power and the communications so we can just stack them up.”

Each Supercharger can serve two cars, and most locations will have three units. With solar panels planned for many locations, operating costs are expected to remain low, perhaps explaining the free recharges.

My lunch stop at Harris Ranch, a hacienda-like restaurant, added 153 miles of range before my burger even arrived. So I cleared the charging spot for another Model S, a Tesla company vehicle that had joined the trip, and returned to lunch. With way more energy than I would need to reach the next station 115 miles away, I made up time by flying along with Interstate 5’s speedy traffic.

At 4:30 p.m., at the Lebec station — the first Tesla station to incorporate solar panels — I was content to add 117 miles of range in 25 minutes.

The final run to Tesla’s Southern California design center in Hawthorne was uneventful. I arrived at 6:30 p.m., almost 12 hours after leaving Tahoe. The Supercharger concept worked.

Driving a gas-powered car averaging 60 miles per hour, stopping one hour for lunch and twice for 15-minute rest stops, would have cut my travel time by one hour. In my electric test car, if I had eaten my lunch on the go, the duration would have been much the same.

The transition from a day on the Interstates to an evening in Los Angeles, where a ceremony to introduce the Supercharger concept to a crowd of Tesla fans, was jarring.

After delivering a stilted, ad-libbed speech, Elon Musk, Tesla’s chief executive, dropped the curtain from a glowing 40-foot object, apparently a charging location roadside sign, but unmistakably phallic in shape. I didn’t see anything like it on my trip.

Let’s hope that the cheap theatrics will fade, to be replaced by a more realistic image: thousands of E.V. owners on electric road trips, eating at highway fast-food restaurants and experiencing the open road like other Americans.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      Audi GT, old (but not tired) 84 jetta
      11-17-2012 04:48 PM #302
      Quote Originally Posted by uncle_scott View Post
      Tailgating: driving so far up someone's ass that you can't see a road hazard ahead..

23. Member
      Vehicles
      11-18-2012 12:05 PM #303
      Sanya Skypump

The compact design does away with huge propellers in favor vertical wind blades that require a minimum of 7 MPH winds to operate. The Skypump is hooked into one of GE's DuraStation Level 2 EV chargers.

Standing at 42 feet high, and utilizing a compact blade design, the Skypump could fill in where traditional wind turbines are just too big. Each blade on some wind turbines can be as big as 160 feet long; the Skypump could easily see use in mall parking lots or industrial/business parks.

Don't get me wrong; the Skypump won't be solving the woes of EV users anytime soon. However, it can offer a genuinely green alternative to plugging into a coal-fired plug, and if this design proves effective, it could become quite commonplace.

World's First Integrated Wind-Powered Electric Vehicle Charging Station Installed in Barcelona

BARCELONA, SPAIN - August 14, 2012 -

Installed by UGE Iberia, the Spanish branch of New York-based Urban Green Energy, the first wind-powered EV charging station is located at Cespa's global headquarters near Barcelona.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
      11-18-2012 08:20 PM #304
      another shot of the Barcelona installation

Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      It's like the prototype came out of the design studio and someone said, "Christ on a crutch, this is what our design team came up with?? A Camry???" And the front and rear fascia team said, "Not for long!"

25. Member
      Vehicles
      1979 rabbit
      01-10-2013 02:54 PM #305

Israel Gas has hit over $9 per US gallon.

Some 17 battery-swapping stations have been installed around Israel. The goal is 40.

Better Place LLC, in Israel has placed 100 Renault Fluence EVs on the road. Users report that they are able to take trips of 160 km with no problems thanks to battery swapping stations along their routes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Patton
      If everybody's thinking the same thing, then nobody's thinking.
      Quote Originally Posted by Einstein
      In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      '81 Jetta TD
      03-24-2013 10:21 AM #306
      battery swapping

A demonstration shows that swapping out an electric vehicle battery takes just a matter of minutes. Photo: Meaghan O'Neill
      How Will Better Place's Battery Swapping Stations Work?
      Say you want to take your Renault Fluence ZE on a road trip from Galilee to the Negev Desert, but you don't have a full charge on your battery. You could give it a few minutes of juice while you pack the car, but if you don't have six hours to spare at home or on the road, there's no need to fret. The Fluence has a 100-mile range, but if that's not enough to get drivers where they want to go, they will be able to pull into a battery changing station. With a few minutes prior notice -- just call into customer service from the car's computer -- drivers can pull into the station, drive onto a track much like those at a car wash, and -- voila -- an automated panel lifts into the underside of the car, removes one battery and replaces it with another. All in about three minutes. Though there are currently just six battery switch stations in Israel (for the test cars already on the road), the company plans to install 50 by the end of 2011.

Seriously, it's that Fast. See how an EV battery-changing station works.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=OHHvjsFm_88

27. Member
      Vehicles
      MkI Jetta TD
      03-31-2013 12:22 PM #307

Always like the solar carport ideas

I dragged her back to see the $4,500 Pacer. She hated it, but we bought it. She went home and cried. (when we sold it) my wife put an ad in the newspaper. A woman came out to look at the car. She said, "I really didn't go out looking for a Pacer." My wife replied, "Lady, nobody goes out looking for a Pacer. It's eighteen hundred bucks, take it or leave it!" The woman took it and drove away smiling. My wife cried.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      MkI Jetta TD
      04-06-2013 11:25 AM #308

29. Member
      04-06-2013 02:27 PM #309

HMMY’s Plug + Play proposal for an electric vehicle charging station serves as an urban battery and renewable energy generating system. Oriented so the maximum surface area is facing the south, the station is covered in a photovoltaic film and generates its own power. Like a battery indicator, the station is lit up with a LED light when it is fully charged, and dims down as it powers an electric car. Its shape is inspired by the traditional form of cooling towers from power plants, and the extra power generated is returned to the grid, or taken when there is not enough sun.

Cars pull into the lifted side, park and plug in for a 30 minute charge. These stations are located throughout the city and take up just two parking spots. The goal for these chargers would be to place them in visible areas in a variety of places to form a decentralized grid. Users of the stations can park and power up while they take time to relax or play in a nearby park, watch tv on a screen inside, hop out to do shopping, grab something to eat or even get a workout in.

Plug + Play is modular, distributed power system that challenges the traditional centralized framework currently in place, and works to change our perception of energy use in our modern lives.

Read more: Plug + Play: A Solar-Powered EV Charging Station Shaped Like a Cooling Tower Plug + Play-HMMY – Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      Locking it up because it's going to get worse mileage than a 1 legged dog with a hang over - yet stir up more crap than a starving catfish in a landfill.

Vehicles
      2006 Škoda Octavia
      04-06-2013 03:14 PM #310
      Quote Originally Posted by Wheelstand View Post
      strange looking vehicle

It's a Roomster, one of those weird looking but practical MPVs.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      two Audis, 79 wabbit diesel, two 84 jettas/85 jetta TD
      04-07-2013 11:08 AM #311
      Quote Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post

pretty cool concept.
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackohio
      Built in boost gauge in the dash. One of my friends at the time saw that turbo was on theoretical empty and asked if we needed to stop and get more turbo. I gave it gas and he was like wait, its full now. Had to quickly explain the process.
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      so basically the OP has no clue about anything and just posts out of his ass?

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      04-07-2013 11:45 AM #312
      Quote Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post
      Only a fraction of the panels will be at the optimal angle to the sun. It won't generate much power.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

33. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 240 Z, early jetta TD
      04-07-2013 12:47 PM #313

NCPEV Meeting in Downtown Raleigh - March 2013 - Nissan Leafs, Chevy Volt, Tesla Model S, Fisker Karma.
      Quote Originally Posted by David Votoupal
      The car sucked in every way imaginable, that it entered the annals as one of the worst cars ever built. It was shoddily built in a plant where labour relations were atrocious. It rusted like hell, and the aluminium engine had the durability of a soggy potato chip. Few cars could have been so thoroughly bad Despite the "explosion" controversy, the Ford Pinto compared favourably to the Vega, and that's saying something.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      04-07-2013 02:03 PM #314

The drugstore chain Walgreens is the largest retail host of EV charging stations in the country, with more than 800 plug-in sites in 18 metro areas, including Philadelphia; Baltimore; Tampa, Florida; and Portland, Oregon.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Turbo Diesel Jetta
      04-07-2013 03:22 PM #315
      Irwindale, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman
      Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast