Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lots of ants in yard. Pest control company failed.

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 VW Beetle GLS 2.0L, 1996 Nissan Maxima GLX
      08-18-2012 03:55 AM #71
      that sounds terrible, poor ants. sounds like katrina(or worse) came on them.
      novice in car repair; learning everyday by experiencing and researching.

Vehicles
      81 vw caddy, 02 gmc sonoma crewcab
      08-18-2012 04:10 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by heart_crafter View Post
      that sounds terrible, poor ants. sounds like katrina(or worse) came on them.
      George Bush doesn't care about black ants.
      :p

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 VW Beetle GLS 2.0L, 1996 Nissan Maxima GLX
      08-18-2012 05:22 AM #73
      we recently did our backyard...
      had not much grass... all weird plants n weed...
      we cleaned it all out and flipped the ground 3"...

never had problem with ants before...

so i guess what happned was while flipping the ground out we probabaly broke ants colony(house)...
      and after couple days we saw there was dirt all around the walls of our patio cemented stairway...
      after few days ants were in the house... crawling around the kicthen...

we are tought not to kill ants, bees, hoopoes and sparrow-hawks unless they are harming you and five pests that may be killed whether one is in state of consecration or not: rats, scorpions, crows, kites [a hawk-like bird], and mad dogs.

so my wife put some table salt around the side of the walls... and under a week ants stopped coming inside the house.

maybe ill research on ants and salt... see if someone researched on it...
      this salt thing in really old in out culture and it works.

end of story
      Last edited by heart_crafter; 08-18-2012 at 05:26 AM.
      novice in car repair; learning everyday by experiencing and researching.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      08-19-2012 12:21 PM #74
      The rain we've recently had has been driving everything out of the lawn towards higher ground. Worms, millipedes, & ants are the main three. I've been more proactive when I see an ant trail now in or near the house, placing ant bait down to kill the colony. It usually take a few days, but then there's no more activity.

I've read about using household items to mess with the scent of the trail the ants follow, but it may only work in areas where there aren't a lot of ants. My experience is that it works for a short time, & then they find away around it & continue doing what they do.
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      08-19-2012 04:56 PM #75
      the ants/bugs are bad this year down here - normal company spraying + diy still not cutting it seems.
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

.: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      08-19-2012 08:56 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      the ants/bugs are bad this year down here - normal company spraying + diy still not cutting it seems.
      Rich, are you having pool surface issues too? I've slowed the ants down, but had to throw the pool robot in today because small earth worms went for a swim after yesterdays rain. The surface wasn't too bad though.

I think the poisons are getting weaker so that they don't screw up the water supply. I gave up on the pest control companies. What good is their guarantee to come back if ants reappear if they have to come back a lot? I'd rather just buy the pro chemicals & go after the ants myself.

The Spectracide granular treatment I did was super concentrated. A much higher concentration than they recommend, but it's working in that there's much less activity.
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      09-01-2012 02:25 PM #77
      There's still activity, but at a reduced rate. The amount of rain that fell from TS Issac filled the pool up to the bottom of the coping. The lawn was thoroughly drenched so any ants that were going to drown did so, & the remainder of the poison granules were soaked in more than well. It may require a retreatment sooner than expected.

Vehicles
      2004 VW Golf R32 DeepBluePerleffekt (B5R)
      09-01-2012 06:12 PM #78
      ugh,ants i just had a resurgence of ant activity at my house 2 weeks ago.not sure what species,but they are really tiny and can run surprisingly fast for being so small.i have a pest control plan with Terminex and the pest tech just came by last Thursday for my annual checkup.she didn't see any ant activity at all so she just told me keep doing what i was doing or call a local pest guy to spray around the yard i had originally contracted with them to rid my house of a huge swarm of flying ants (i thought they were termites) so,i guess i'm on my own with this new batch of creepy crawlies?
      i found a really good deal on crawling insect killer granules at Kmart--a giant 10Lb bag for about $7.50.they sell it in their garden dept. i spread an even amount around the whole perimeter of the house,and nuked the back yard/rear wall w/ a double dose.that's where they are gaining entrance.i sprayed some Black Flag behind my fridge and my oven.they've been crawling up from the basement crawlspace from both ends of the countertop,behind the appliances.
      so far,it has done the trick.haven't seen a single one since last Wednesday
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!
      Mind-Blowing List of Mods: Dark Charcoal tinted front side markers & blinkers.Continental DWS A/S tires on stock Aristos w/ VW Racing center caps.Koni FSD shocks w/ OEM US R32 springs.EBC Redstuff pads.Gloss Black painted stock front grille & mirror caps.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      09-01-2012 08:20 PM #79
      The heavy rain drove them for shelter & I found them entering an eastern wall, one room & the bathroom. I put down ant bait along the baseboards of 2 walls in the one room. The bathroom they were coming in through spaces in the window frame. After putting down bait, they were gone the next day. The bathroom had the winged kind plus the tiny ones. I sealed all of the spaces I noted them coming through, but found 2 tiny ones wandering the next day. They were coming in through the tiny crack between the sill & window frame. I used clear sealant on that yesterday & found no activity today.

I did some palm tree pruning outside that wall on Thursday & found the tentacle like things with the seeds covered with ants & winged ants. The palm tree is at least 10-12 feet away from the wall & about the same distance north of it. I'm going to clean that tree out on Monday for trash vegetation pick up Tuesday.

10. 09-06-2012 12:25 PM #80
      It sounds like you might to take things into your own hands at this point. Just buy the materials yourself and go to town on them ants! Raid Liquid Ant Killer and Terro are good I guess (no complains from me). But truthfully all products at that price point work just as well. My only suggestion is that, like CaptainQualude said, ant bait might be safer to use. I recommend doing a little shopping around online. One place I like to use for this sort of things is:
      http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ants-c-1.html

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      09-06-2012 12:42 PM #81
      I cleaned out a lot of palms on Monday, hot & exhausting work. The tentacles had ants all over them, & at least one tree had a swarm of some kind of flying insects with stingers hovering around when I cut down a tentacle. I have one tree I need to revisit on Monday & cut down another round of fronds. An Oak tree grew in to it & is holding up the cuttings from hitting the ground.

I'm going to dose the ground around that pruned palm tree, outside the bathroom, to try & keep the ants away from the wall.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 VW Passat 2.5 SE,
      09-20-2012 06:00 PM #82
      I live right by you so I feel your pain. The ants have been insane the last 3 years, and this year has been the worst. I believe they are the Argentine variety of ants, or "crazy ants". They appear black/ closer look they are a very dark red, and will just run in a "crazy pattern" if disturbed. They are small to medium sized. A couple times a year, I will wake up in the morning and find thousands of them in the house, just congregating in the corners of the walls on ceilings on top of door frames etc. The only way to get them is to kill the nest. You can kill the workers all you want but the nest will just keep producing. Problem is

1. keep finding the nests everywhere outside. They live in all the palm trees, birds of paradise, under rocks, under the sidewalks, stepping stones, decks, just recently, I found them living in an old wooden fence area. They love rotted wood. I am having my roof replaced, Found a nest in some rotted decking in the roof.

2. The only way to kill them is to bait them and kill the nest. Currently they are not attracted to any bait that is on the market that I have found. I put the terro down (supposedly the best), and they walk right past it.

3. You can spray all you want and bait all you want, but if our neighbors aren't doing the same thing we will never win.

4. Spraying them with pesticides just seems to make them make more ants.

The only thing I have found that seems to keep them from invading the house is actually pretty inexpensive. I go to Wal-mart and buy a couple boxes of Borax for around 2 $ each and sprinkle it around the foundation. The ones that end up making it in the house are dead soon after they enter.

I have a lot of sliding glass doors, they are impossible to completely seal up. This is how they get in my house.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      09-21-2012 12:40 AM #83
      This stuff works for the ones inside the house, but you have to buy it on the 'Net. They do not ignore it. Note the yellow cap if looking to buy.

Last edited by CaptainQualude; 09-21-2012 at 01:06 PM.

14. 11-13-2012 04:12 PM #84
      I use Amdro, got it at Ace Hardware (though I'm sure HD or Lowe's has it too). You spread it around their mound, they take it to their queen and they all die shortly there after. 2 ant hills... gone after 2 days of applying that stuff and no issues so far since.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-13-2012 05:09 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by cotopaxi View Post
      try Advance Liquid Ant Bait, it should work better that the insecticide dust you used on them previously!
      I'll keep that in mind. The bait granules (indoor) seem to work fine when you see a few wandering around the base boards. It takes a few days, restocking when they finish the bait, but then they disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by b2m_vw View Post
      I use Amdro, got it at Ace Hardware (though I'm sure HD or Lowe's has it too). You spread it around their mound, they take it to their queen and they all die shortly there after. 2 ant hills... gone after 2 days of applying that stuff and no issues so far since.
      The problem is there are no hills, at least not mounds. They have tiny openings in the ground, & since there isn't a mound, really hard to find. I usually have to find their "path" for lack of a better word, & bait or poison it so they take it to the nest.

A new problem is the millipedes walking around outside, with the occasional one making its way inside.

Vehicles
      11-13-2012 06:02 PM #86
      Odd, haven't seen any millipedes this year. The ants though....out of control.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-13-2012 09:00 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      Odd, haven't seen any millipedes this year. The ants though....out of control.
      My neighbors live old school Florida style. No A/C, windows & doors open, no pesticides. They have ants, roaches, millipedes, lizards, whatever is outside the house cruising on through.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-13-2012 10:30 PM #88
      SH*TZ!! There are a bunch of millipedes on the south side (front lawn) of the house, & also the west side (driveway). I sprayed the front walk, front of the house, & front door pad/walkway. There were 2 dozen there. The garage door, driveway, & that side of the house was another dozen & a half. Time to do some research.

Vehicles
      11-14-2012 12:12 AM #89
      I can remember one year a few years back there being hundreds of them on the side walk you couldn't take one step with out hearing a crunch, and they stink too when you crunch them. I haven't seen any this year though.
      VW's from my past.

Vehicles
      11-14-2012 12:17 AM #90
      I can remember one year a few years back there being hundreds of them on the side walk you couldn't take one step with out hearing a crunch, and they stink too when you crunch them. I haven't seen any this year though.
      VW's from my past.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-14-2012 04:43 PM #91
      I did a walk around & sprayed them again around 3AM, then they got hit again later in the morning. Nothing out there now, but it appears there is more nocturnal activity than day time. Will have to see what it's like tonight. I had to use a garden hose to knock some high off the walls near the roof-line. On the positive side, less any activity. I did spray the lawn about 4 days ago with liquid insecticide along the lawn/pool deck edge, & then the whole back yard.

Vehicles
      11-14-2012 10:01 PM #92
      There is a do-it-yourself insecticide store in deerfield beach that I have to check out. Supposedly they sell the pro stuff to the general public.
      VW's from my past.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-15-2012 01:22 AM #93
      There is a do-it-yourself insecticide store in deerfield beach that I have to check out. Supposedly they sell the pro stuff to the general public.
      Address or name?

Edit: Found this site.

http://www.piptermite.com/diy_pest_control.php
      Last edited by CaptainQualude; 11-15-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Vehicles
      11-15-2012 07:58 PM #94
      This is the one I was talking about.

http://www.yellowpagesgoesgreen.org/...+Depot/1218081

I tried their webpage but it wouldn't load so I don't know if they are still there or not.
      VW's from my past.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-16-2012 01:54 PM #95
      This is the one I was talking about.

http://www.yellowpagesgoesgreen.org/...+Depot/1218081

I tried their webpage but it wouldn't load so I don't know if they are still there or not.
      Appears there is no longer a website.

http://www.pestdepot.com/

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      01-16-2013 03:30 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQualude View Post
      The ant issue is under control. It hasn't been completely ant free, but they aren't found in the pool in huge quantities anymore. I find some floating occasionally, but drowned flying insects are more of an issue now. I dropped a bag of fertilizer today, & also a bag of insect poison granules. I found a line of ants out in the yard feasting on dog sh*t last week. I'm trying to do both at 3 month intervals.

Here is an image to compare the size of the Amdro ant bait granules (left) versus the Max Force ant bait granules (right).

I used up the Maxforce & reordered some more. The formulation has changed. It's now a larger granule like in the picture above, & the Bayer logo is more prominent. It's also called Maxforce Complete, with a white bottle & blue label.

Last edited by CaptainQualude; 01-16-2013 at 09:24 AM.

01-16-2013 07:51 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Deniel View Post
      You must use any type of insect killer.Its better
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      01-16-2013 09:28 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Deniel View Post
      You must use any type of insect killer.Its better
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      The ones that kill on the surface don't get deep enough in to the ground to kill ant colonies. I did do a surface treatment yesterday, but for other insects like millipedes. The Maxforce bait is a slow acting killer. It allows the whole colony 2 or 3 days to feast before they die. It works. I watch the amount of ants on the pool surface every morning go from a whole lot to almost nothing in a few days. I just don't know how this new formulation is going to work out.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      01-31-2013 02:45 PM #99
      MaxForce Complete is a major letdown. It's still out there the next day. The old MaxForce fine granules would be gone in an hour or two. Hydramethylnon is the main ingredient in both, it's just the delivery system that has changed & failed. I'm going to try & grind the multi-sized granulate finer than they are & see if that works.

Vehicles
      01-31-2013 10:14 PM #100
      Yeah these ants are so tiny, I would the granules should be really small. I have been having ok results with Borax, I know it doesn't kill the nest but it has stopped them from coming in. The ones that do make it in die right there.
      VW's from my past.

31. Member
      02-01-2013 09:54 AM #101
      Yeah these ants are so tiny, I would the granules should be really small. I have been having ok results with Borax, I know it doesn't kill the nest but it has stopped them from coming in. The ones that do make it in die right there.
      The Borax should kill the entire colony. You do, however, need to dilute it (with sugar or fat, whichever the ants are into at the moment) so that they carry the Borax back to the colony where every one of their little buddies will feed on it as well.

Then their exoskeleton breaks down and they die a, what I must assume is, a horrible death.

Vehicles
      02-01-2013 10:28 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Bladecatcher View Post
      The Borax should kill the entire colony. You do, however, need to dilute it (with sugar or fat, whichever the ants are into at the moment) so that they carry the Borax back to the colony where every one of their little buddies will feed on it as well.

Then their exoskeleton breaks down and they die a, what I must assume is, a horrible death.
      Cool, I never even thought of that mixing it with something, good Idea.
      VW's from my past.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      02-02-2013 12:23 AM #103
      The original yellow cap formula was the perfect sized granule for ants, & larger pests would eat it too. Now the multi-sizing appears to be aimed at the larger insects, but at the expense of killing ants. It's a head scratching corporate decision to me.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      02-08-2013 02:36 PM #104
      Can't seem to find the yellow cap for sale anymore. The Maxforce Complete has been a failed experiment. I just ordered Intice Granular Bait (ultra fine, part # IGBU012). Hopefully it's an improvement over MFC.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      02-14-2013 03:16 AM #105
      The Intice showed up late this afternoon, so I put it down around the pool deck in various spots, & is a fine granule compared to MaxForce Complete. It's supposed to rain heavily over the weekend, but with any luck it will hold off a day to allow the ants to consume more.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast