you guys are behind the times now..
doing it right for my nephews..
Still have a few things to do yet, finish the frame, triangulate the rear to prevent ride height change w weight, buff/prime/paint chassis and weld axles on w some nice camber. Its coming along alright though. Ride height is set at 1/2" w no protrusions (ie nuts or bolts) on the bottom, everything recessed. Using all orig turning/pivot components sunken into frame rails w 1/8" of clearance to prevent binding when turning.
ps sorry for the cell phone pics..
Last edited by murTTer; 11-26-2011 at 05:30 PM.
So just a small update.....I picked up a new project for this winter.
My grandfather is in the process of cleaning out his house. I picked up my dads old wagon and pedal car. I'm leaving the wagon the way it is, but the pedal car is a different story.
As you can see the pedal car is already apart, in pieces and repainted. My aunt and uncle gave a poor attempt to restore it when I was young and for about 15 years its been like this in storage. Well now its my turn. I'll be needing to strip the paint and bang out a few small dents. Not to mention there will be tons of polishing and my biggest fear is finding stencils for the side graphics which have since been over painted. Also I need to find all the hardware that is missing, new ladders and whatever else is missing.....more to come over winter break
Alright ill look for a clear picture. Problem it the originals are painted on and post have chips missing or have rust and such so it's hard to get a good shot.
No it's a late 59-64 Murray flat face fire truck. Problem is there are different graphics for models with the siren and the light. So I need to figure out which it is. I haven't dug through the box yet tho
this was before, I am not sure about the wheel sizes. maybe a 4"x0.75" offset zero.
I got custom suspension on it. slammed it. about 4" lower? no spacers..
wheels: 2"x2"et0 on the rear. 1"x0.5"et0 on the front! close to -40 degrees camber?
oh, and wood flooring. sticker bombed walls... air ride tank equipped. although it's rockin' static
So I finally decided to rip this apart and rebuild it the right way. The axles will all be raised 1/2" so I can ride it. I will also fix the 3 wheeling problem. Then the frame will get some fresh paint. Some pics of the deconstruction
What she looked like earlier
The rear frame and axles
Here's a good look at how the front end works. When I rebuild it I will make the tolerances tighter so there is less slop in the steering
All the new parts laid out and the template I made to get the same camber on each wheel
More to come
This is the last post. I ended up getting a request to build a wagon. I Copied my frame only to find out that they dont make the antique size I have anymore. So It's going to a new owner sometime soon. Slammed Radio Flyer V2.0 is by far awesome and what I should have done from the beginning.
And thats all she wrote