VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

A Golf VR build...because I want to.

27K views 187 replies 58 participants last post by  vdubspeed 
#1 ·
Back in the late 90s I owned an 8V GTI that I absolutely loved.

Funny back story...while trying to sell it.....I stumbled upon a VW site known as the vwvortex:laugh:

Back then I knew the 8V was trash. I always wanted to do a g60 or VR swap but working at Winn-Dixie at that time combined with very little knowledge did not allow for this. Well I sold that GTI to buy my now wife a wedding ring. Here we are...somewhere 10 years later and I've only owned 1 other mk2 since then. (A gorgeous 16V that I owned for 6 years)

I'm 90% a mk1 guy but seeing as how my first watercooled was a mk2 as was my wife's and brothers...I leave a space in my :heart: for the mk2 :thumbup:
Here is a shot of my turbo rabbits:

Fast forward a decade and I finally will build the Golf VR I've always wanted to. Inspiration has come from two VERY specific cars....Mom's Golf and Futrell VR build.

So...two weeks ago I finally got the much needed donor. Here's a quick video of her before she is parted and scraped:

So the next part of my mission was to locate the perfect receiver car. I knew EXACTLY what I wanted...a mk2 4dr Golf. I have two kids guys...I enjoy 4 doors.

Well in my search I found this hot mess about 20 mins down the road:

Good car but to beat and no title. So...that little 87 with factory NO a/c and NO p/s is getting parted.

Good news is I have located the perfect car...just have to iron out the deal but most likely you will be seeing a very clean 88 Golf 4dr. It's CE1 digi 2 but all that mess is coming out.

I know VR builds are a dime a dozen but I build cars for me and as I said...because I want to:wave:

See less See more
1 4
#6 ·
Son of beach.

The mk2 I want to put the VR in has been so damn elusive for so many years. I've tried to buy it for four years now and never can get it. Now we finally strike a deal but the title is lost and the last person to have the title is pretty sketchy to say the least!

I'm not parting the mk3 until I have the receiver car as the mk3 can atleast drive itself around the yard if need be.

#15 ·
Putting some new 10 Ply Class D tires on the dolly today. Gotta get the funds from the bank before I head off on tomorrow's trip.

I'm stoked. Pics tomorrow night on the lucky lady.

I'll be the second owner...and she has service records.:D

#19 ·
Oh friends...the VW gods have smiled upon me.

Today I was blessed to take over ownership of this American Golf. I :heart: it over and over.

Bought originally from Jim Ellis VW in Atlanta in 1985, it has lived most of it's life in GA with a short stint in N.C.

The original owner keep EVERYTHING and had the vehicle serviced for anything. The vehicle was garage kept and the exterior and interior reflect this. Though she was driven (162K), she has been garage kept and loved. The original owner left the Golf to his cousin in 2010 and this is who I bought it from. Dan was an AWESOME guy but more of an aircooled guy. If he ever reads this...thanks again Dan:beer:

The Golf has seen one small wreck in it's day but was repaired with utmost care so I can only imagine it happened early in it's life. Regardless, you will notice the C-pillars and rear are a hair darker than the rest of the car.

Speaking of the rest of the car...it's minty. The a/c blows cold and sunroof is smooth as warm butter. The interior is very inviting and the smell screams mk2. The blue tweed dates the car perfectly and even the dash is crackfree.

I felt bad at first for wanting to rip out the fresh 8V but then again..this is no museum piece. She has served as a daily well and now is her chance to be upgraded.

With that said...the car will hit the back burner but not for long. Tomorrow I will start parting out the mk3 and that usually takes a couple days. Then the knife will fall on the mk2.

The goal for the car is to install the entire mk3 running gear, wiring, and HVAC. This includes ABS but not power steering as the mk2 is manual and steers fine. The stock mk2 steelies will be replaced by generic 5X100 steelies/hubcaps and the car will be done. Nothing fancy. No BBS rims, No 1K coils. Just a mk2 Golf with some OEM action.

Onto the pics...

Welcome home!

Thanks VW gods...I won't let ya down.

Thanks to you all who follow this thread too. I don't build my cars for anybody but myself but I always think it's cool that people enjoy what I do.

Regards,

Jason

#21 ·
4 lug is definitely going the way of the buffalo.

I want ABS, rear disc, etc and don't happen to have a g60 readily available. That and the 13s won't clear the larger disc from the VR.

Everything else however...will stay:thumbup:

#23 ·
Well I'm happy like a kid in a candy store.

First off, it is with great pleasure that I say I tagged/titled/insured the Golf today. The reason I say this is a big deal is because MANY VWs come through here. Only a select few are given the chance to stay.

Anyway, I drove it around town today. Hard to start cold but runs great after she's goin. A/C is great. Steering is easy because of the small tires. Brakes work good but are weak. Suspension is soft like a cloud. Hit the brakes at any speed and the nose dives while the ass jumps up.

This car is begging to be modded.

Lastly, I spoke with a friend last night about the best way to preserve the OEM of the car but install all the MK3 goodness. I'm going to go CE2 and just a combo of other CE2 cars to make everything as plug and play as possible.

I'm about to start parting the mk3. It's about 1000 degrees outside but f it...this mk2 needs a new heart!

L8r,

Jason

#25 ·
Well...I was kinda lazy and slow today. I managed to get the car tagged and then spent a little time at an antique store. After lunch I eased outside and after getting the work area ready...I dug in. I have the VR ready for pulling tomorrow.

Anyway...just a few boring pics. Here's the area of my yard I call the chopping block. Only tear down of vehicles happens here.

And then the rain was about to roll in so I packed up. Here's the parting shot:

Took the family to McD's for smoothies tonight in the Golf. :heart:

the wheel keeps on rollin...

#26 ·
Made a little progress today but no pics. I replaced the Auxilary Air Regulator in the Golf to help it run better when cold. It's my daily until I'm ready for the VR swap.

Speaking of the VR...it was rather annoying today. Broke a Snap-On triple square while trying to remove the CV bolts. To make matters worse the axle would not come out of the hub so I'm removing it as one large package.

To add insult to injury I can't get the other three rims off because I can't find the key for the ricer lugs. Good thing is hammering on a 5/8 socket is working but I have to reweld the socket since I cracked it.

Well...tomorrow I'll finally get the engine out and start ripping apart the interior.

Blah blah blah.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.