Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: an unusual project (lots of pictures)

1. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      11-26-2011 01:06 PM #71
      oil pan action shots from last weekend's nightmare

old versus new motor mount who knows how old that one was... the rubber had swollen so much from oil it almost felt like jello

things are getting more serious... added 2 jacks, an engine hoist, and the car is now shedding parts...

motor actually looks pretty good inside, nothing nasty sludge wise, nice golden brown on the inner crankcase walls

shot of the oil level sensor and its old/new gaskets. it was cleaned since the photo

oil pan after it was finally out.

and it had about an inch of this crap at the bottom

scooping that all out... nasty...

the old gasket was turned nearly into plastic... had to break it off of there with a few rounds of gasket remover and a shtload of scraping.

and done!

and the exhaust work is done as of yesterday, and here are some random shots. its been a really busy weekend... looking forward to sitting down for the afternoon and just doing nothing.

oh, and a picture of the "rolls royce recommended" gasket sealant stuff, for future reference
      (which worked really well on the pan seal - luckily! - but i still have some small leaks out of the level sensor hole but at least its easy to get to and reseal, ill probably redo that one with some rtv type stuff instead)

box of new brake parts - fluid filters, fluid, seals for the fluid tank, new park brake cable, and all the soft lines. so... i guess i know what im doing this week/next weekend

the disco getting down to business
      drove pretty well loaded down to ~7000lb on the trailer, 4th gear on the highway 50-55mph even up some of the steeper hills on the highway.

welding up the new/used pipes

since the new/used stuff was off of a long wheel base car, we had to shorten it up 3 inches between the swirl pot thing and the second to last muffler. everything fits nice now but i need to track down one more hanger - whichever exhaust shop "fixed" the original stuff broke most of the hangers and welded them straight to the old pipes.
      anyway i think we have one more small leak to patch before its perfect, but itll work for now.

2. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-03-2011 04:49 PM #72
      and we also got a video of the car running with just the header

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8348/paf.mp4

be warned, its ~100mb so it may take a bit to load

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1975 16v bunny, 1983 diesel bunny (RIP)
      12-03-2011 11:51 PM #73
      thats a neat shadow you have. i work at rolls royce bellevue let me know if you need help tracking down older parts (can be huge pain in the ass) check out tony handler out of los angeles

4. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-04-2011 04:45 PM #74
      yeah we had a lot of dealings with handlers trying to get another 4spd transmission. the first one they sent up was basically a rusty boat anchor.

do you guys sell any sort of lacquer touchup paint, or know of any shops that could sell me lacquer to spray on that was already color matched?
      thats gonna be an upcoming project but i need to get my hands on paint.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1975 16v bunny, 1983 diesel bunny (RIP)
      12-04-2011 09:42 PM #75
      let me talk with my tech. hes from manchester england, started working in the rolls factory over thirty years ago. he knows all the north american sources for rolls royce things. ill talk to him tomorrow.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      TURBO Diesel Caddy
      12-04-2011 09:54 PM #76
      Cool project!

-edit for my stupidity
      *NO A/C BRIGADE*

7. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-04-2011 11:02 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by dieseldub83 View Post
      let me talk with my tech. hes from manchester england, started working in the rolls factory over thirty years ago. he knows all the north american sources for rolls royce things. ill talk to him tomorrow.
      Awesome, the color is called smoke green if I remember right...

8. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-13-2011 02:37 AM #78
      another quick update... nothing too exciting for now

started in on the brake work late last week. made some pretty good progress removing some of the extra hard lines and crap for the front height control.

first time all the wheels have been off. those backwards threaded left hand side lugs are confusing

original front brake hoses, in talking to the parts guys they havent made this "fish scale" hose for these things for more than 20 years... so these are well overdue for replacement

big pile of new hoses (21 in all!). we wont be using a couple of them since i got rid of the front height control...

this is the front height control valve...

and new hoses!

both front caliper sets are done now. i still have a fair bit of work to do draining and resealing the reservoir and changing out the low pressure pump feeds and return lines to the tank, but thatll wait for another night.
      after those are done therell still be 10 more hoses to redo for the rear height control and rear brakes. it never ends! but i hope to be bleeding and pressurizing things by the end of the weekend.

on the plus side none of the hardware is seized up and everything is coming free easily enough.

until next time

Vehicles
      1963 Beetle, 2003 GTI 24V
      12-13-2011 03:59 AM #79
      WOW i worked on the same year about 2 years ago at my work the brake system was bad on it. Nothing like having brakes only the queen would approve of...

cheers and awesome build!
      "Its not leaking oil its just sweating from all the horse power."
      -Adam H.

"Its not leaking oil its just marking its territory."
      -Adam H.

10. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-13-2011 11:20 AM #80
      overbuilt to the maximum... but im told it should stop well once all of the calipers are grabbing properly.

im surprised that the dealer does much work on the early cars... they barely knew what i was talking about when i called there last year asking about places to get the transmission worked on.

Vehicles
      2009 AW M3
      12-13-2011 11:54 AM #81
      Great to see the progress, thanks for sharing.

12. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-13-2011 11:54 AM #82
      i figure folks like pictures, but theres nothing too exciting to take photos of yet.

tearing apart the reservoir should be interesting though

Vehicles
      1963 Beetle, 2003 GTI 24V
      12-13-2011 10:30 PM #83
      It took use about 3 months to fix the brakes on the one that came into my shop. We had to call Rolls Royce and have them make the parts. The dealer basically wouldnt even talk to us. Talk about a headache...

I do have to say it was fun to drive one of these things.

cheers
      "Its not leaking oil its just sweating from all the horse power."
      -Adam H.

"Its not leaking oil its just marking its territory."
      -Adam H.

14. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-19-2011 12:27 AM #84
      some more shots of the brake work....

im doing my best to make a mundane soft line swap as interesting as possible

and thought id take a shot of this... to show everyone what sort of mess were trying to sort through here. an overview of the whole hydraulic system

fluid in the tank was clean, as i had seen before, but there was gunk on the bottom of the tank... and it looks like the filters were collapsed - common problem - which i hadnt noticed before. no problem though, weve got new ones.

shot of the old filters...

and all done

the biggest bunch of soft lines at the rear end... just for fun.

and a couple up front... going from the rat trap to the two front calipers - right before the system Ts off into the left and right corners (the blue and purple circuits, in that overview above)

and heres a shot of some of the old stuff getting thrown out.

ive still got a few more lines to replace, but theyre hooked to seized up hard lines in the rear. im gonna check tomorrow if i can have those made locally... if so, ill just break them and get them out so i can take them in to use as templates, and itll be almost wrapped up.
      i got my bag of ball bearings in the mail friday, but havent had a chance to install them to block off the front suspension, and i didnt have a chance to rip out the rest of the front suspension stuff since i had to work saturday, but thats the next job when i get back out to the shop.

i think the end is in sight now, especially if i can have new hardlines made up to replace the couple of rusty/seized ones, thatll really make my day

AND, i have a big shiny surprise that should be here in a week or so that we got on ebay this morning.... so stay tuned... ill be really excited to bolt that on once it gets in.

15. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-08-2012 12:18 PM #85
      havent forgotten about this thing! should be back to working on this within the next week or so...
      finally getting caught up between life/work trips/other car projects.

heres a shot of the new shiny stainless bits that i got in the mail a while back...

(dont mind the backwards lady )

will finally have the proper grill on her. and i hope to wrap up the rear brakes that i left apart now that i have the right hardline tools...
      stay tuned for more pics, i thinks shes getting closer to being roadworthy!

Vehicles
      2009 AW M3
      03-08-2012 12:32 PM #86

17. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-19-2012 05:27 PM #87
      most of the way through refinishing the new grill, and should have some progress shots tonight...

18. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-20-2012 11:17 AM #88
      the latest:

shot of one of the old brake hoses i cut in half. you can see it was starting to collapse, which i guess is the typical failure mode for these

and i finally tracked down one of these bastard early car exhaust hangers, in great shape no less... dont ask what it cost

the ladies... pretty sure the one on the left is a repop.

the lady in the new grill was stuck in there thanks to a stripped allen... that took two additional people and a drill press to take care of. doh!
      the offending hole:

the base collection.. our original was in perfect shape, so we used that (on the left)

and out

time for the good stuff, refinishing and getting the polish on it!

heres a terrible shot of how it started out of the UPS box

the sheet metal bits had some surface rust so i knocked that down, primered and satin blacked it

the bottom bit looked like it originally had some clearcoat overspray on it so we had to knock that down with a scotchbrite pad. this lower bar is completely hidden by the bumper anyway, but just for completeness sake! (i didnt take pics but the sides and all the slats got polished as well)

almost done...

everything together

the car should look 110% better with the bumpers on and the new grill being crazy shiny...
      and the polishing so far was one of the only projects that went exactly as planned, took exactly as long as expected, and actually made an immediately noticeable difference

i have to make a couple little angle brackets for the bottom edge of the grill, which is why the bumper isnt on yet, but ive got some more positive vibes now to tackle the last of the brake work so im planning to keep plugging away at that this week..

19. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-01-2012 12:33 PM #89
      havent updated this one in a while since the car lounge thread gets all the attention

some more shots from the past few weeks - lifting the intake manifold parts, refreshing a lot of the seals involved, rebuilding the brake pumps, as well as swapping to the later style brake pump pushrods. also redid the valve cover gaskets while it was all apart.

photos in (mostly) chronological order

the old (solid) versus new (fused) brake pump push rods

and the shots from this weekend...

B bank valve cover before...

and after...

old gasket bits...

oil filler neck bits... filled with some of that same goop from the oil pan

getting ready to remount it, after the valve cover install

masked up for paint...

test shot of the intake horn paint..

looking like a total mess (with clean valve covers! )... for now.

Vehicles
      W210, E21, B5.5
      05-01-2012 12:42 PM #90
      I love the love you're putting into this thing!
      This is what sarcasm and snarkiness looks like, with a smidge of displaced smugness, and justified jadedness

21. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-08-2012 11:29 AM #91
      i havent been updating this thread quite as regularly as the car lounge one... but here are some shots from our day out enjoying the rolls yesterday. she cleaned up pretty nice!
      probably put ~45 miles driving around, so i guess some progress.

everything seems well mechanically still *knock on wood*...

black/white and color version of all the shots from our day out are in the album here...
      i have more to edit still but ill add them in there later...

as far as driving impressions go, ive definitely got a few things to say on that front after spending some time on the open road with it and not trying to shake things down or listening for rattles, but just enjoying the car

the super light steering and touchy brakes really make the thing feel easier to control than it actually ends up being. big car, tall tires, soft suspension, etc means it really doesnt corner like a modern car and that caught me off guard a couple times. couple that with the RHD and not knowing where the far edge of the car is and two lane roads with sharp corners were a learning experience!

im also not that nuts on the RHD, its really neat for the looks it gets - more on that later - and the uniqueness factor, but its incredibly impractical. its tough to pull out of street parking, its hard to turn onto streets that join each other at an odd angle, and you really cant see around other cars in traffic to pass.
      power output is great, around town and up hills its almost effortless, you just give it 20-30% pedal and it just goes. on the highway it definitely feels like it was geared to go 55mph or so. has plenty of power above that for passing but just doesn't feel/sound as stately going 65+. our exhaust isnt perfect so im sure thats part of it, but the engine/intake noise increases noticeably above 60.
      speaking of gearing, the transmission shift points feel like it just wants to get you into top range as quickly as possible. which i guess makes sense - going 35mph you can barely tell its running. starting it up at idle on a busier street with some noise around you and without a tach you kind of have to do a double take to make sure its running. really odd how little noise it makes at idle! this will probably only get more awkward after i get the radio working, we drove around all weekend without any tunes.

as for the looks/attention it gets, that's really something else... people taking pictures with their phones at intersections, old guys in minivans asking what year it was while we were sitting in traffic, and lots of rubber necking... generally just causing a scene. somewhat amusing as i dont think i look like someone who should be driving an RR...
      im sure the attention is mostly a regional thing as i doubt many people care much when they see these going down the road in LA or some larger cities, but in the smaller place i live i think its the only chrome bumper shadow on the road.

all in all a very successful weekend, and we had a blast finally doing something nice to the paint and taking advantage of the nice weather, and getting to enjoy some of the hard work thus far.
      i added updated shots to the first post, and noticed its been just a couple weeks shy of 2 years since we picked this up

Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      10-08-2012 12:29 PM #92
      Thanks for the update!

I was just talking to a friend about you restoring a Rolls Royce!
      They didn't believe me that someone as young as you would be interested in doing something like this so I had to pull up your Car Lounge thread!

They were blown away!
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

Someone buy my car already!!

Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

23. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-08-2012 12:34 PM #93

its an odd car for someone under 40 i suppose

Vehicles
      too many to list
      10-17-2012 01:01 PM #94
      super cool thread , a great read.

Vehicles
      2009 AW M3
      10-17-2012 01:41 PM #95

26. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-17-2012 02:25 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by EvoVEnto View Post
      super cool thread , a great read.
      a lot more detail and pictures (i think i didnt cross post all of them) in the TCL thread as well

Vehicles
      1991 GLI
      10-18-2012 12:37 AM #97
      Amazing!
      P O W W W W D E R R R E D T O A S S T M A N N N N N N N N N

BRIANEDWARDTUCKER.com <--- check out my website!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123