Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Diesels Cooking Thread

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      08-28-2011 10:47 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      I made beef wellington tonight, was going to take some pics but I got distracted by the baby.

no freaking excuse Patrikman! i got a 21 month old and a 5 month old

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      08-30-2011 11:14 PM #72
      Tonight I made a healthy dinner Stir Fry Beef, used a ribeye steak, cut into strips ( i know i know! )
      added red bell pepper, broccoli, sweet vidalia onion and stir fry it with some black bean sauce, Topped over brown rice. also made a salad with a homemade vinaigrette
      entire dinner was probably under 500 calories.
      enjoy the pictures!

08-31-2011 06:18 PM #73
      That looks good as ****.

Vehicles
      08-31-2011 10:39 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by LGBoogie19 View Post
      That looks good as ****.

so we're eating healthier as of late, want to slim down some more, so my wife has taken to my new approach, albeit shes not much of a complainer as I do all the cooking

tonight I made chicken kebabs over tarragon infused brown rice.

the chicken was marinated in....

salt, paprika, adobo, black pepper, cumin, coriander, tumeric, parsley, olive oil, 5 cloves of crushed garlic, and lemon juice.

the tomatoes, onions and red bell peppers were tossed lightly in olive oil and a dash of lawrys season salt (that stuff is great for seasoning pretty much everything)

all went on the grill and left there to char up, ( i love charred food for some reason!)

i didn't bother to flip it as the chicken medallions would probably have dried out, they were nice and charred but cooked all the way through while still being juicy!

as always enjoy the pictures and post any questions or comments!

Vehicles
      09-09-2011 12:50 AM #75
      So been kinda busy, haven't had much time to post up here but I wanted to post up dinner.

chicken with tomato and egg over rice, its chinese food, comfort food, if you like tomatoes, you'd love this stuff!

gotta get ready for my daughters birthday party!

Vehicles
      09-21-2011 06:50 PM #76
      So i've been neglecting this thread lately, been very busy with school, work, kids etc.

however I will post some updates

These pictures are from the last few days/weeks

Made some lobster for the wife, she was craving it!

Not sure how many of you like Korean Food, but this is called "Soondubu" it was completely homemade, including the broth (for those of you who don't know its quite labor intensive)

its basically a tofu stew in a hot clay pot, you cook beef, some seafood if you desire, some mushrooms, and tofu and add like a buttload of hot red pepper flake (hence the color) and stew it with a poached egg and you have a fantastic cold dreary weather dish to eat alongside a bowl of rice.

Been on a health bender, cause you can't eat like a King without sacrificing somewhere, so my breakfast was a whole fruit/veggie juice drink. it consisted of pineapple, carrots and spinach, it really didn't taste that bad!

For my wife, she got an Omelet with goat cheese, vine tomatoes, and fresh basil

a dinner I made to be served over rice was flank beef with fresh sh!take mushrooms and silken tofu. Pretty damn tasty!

here I made beef stir fry with multicolored peppers, I used red, green, orange and yellow as well as sugar snap peas cut into strips also served over rice

Today I made another costco run, bought some more USDA Prime Ribeye's, and a bottle of Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon had some organic baby spinach and some baby carrots, so the menu will consist of

Prime Ribeye
      Baked Russet Potatoes with a truffle butter
      blanched baby carrots
      and a baby spinach salad with home made glazed almonds seasoned with Maldon seasalt and goat cheese tossed with a balsalmic reduction.

enjoy!

Vehicles
      09-22-2011 10:25 AM #77
      some pictures of dinner

edit - decided to forego the truffle butter seeing how i had some sour cream left over and some green onions in need of use

Last edited by dieselraver; 09-22-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Vehicles
      09-23-2011 04:17 PM #78
      today was a whole fruit juice day.

pineapple, whole seeded (with seeds) grapes and white peach

blended in the blendtec ("Will it blend?") and it was a delicious pseudo-snack/meal

Vehicles
      2000 Plymouth Neon
      09-23-2011 06:02 PM #79
      Lookin' good as usual.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1960 FL
      09-24-2011 11:05 PM #80
      Man you eat good. I could tell those steaks were from Costco. I do not buy my ribeyes from anywhere else.

Vehicles
      09-25-2011 12:21 AM #81
      So this is one of my favorite wines, hard to find and not many places have it on hand, tried about 10 different liquor stores before finding one that would order it for me.. it's been a week, so I went online myself the other day and found it, ordered it and had it shipped. the best part is, that I didn't have to go anywhere to get my wine! in fact, it was actually cheaper including shipping to have it shipped right to my door than to buy it from the local liquor store. I may have found another market I havent tapped for ordering things online.

Vehicles
      11-26-2011 05:12 PM #82
      So I know i've neglected my faithful followers so here is my thanksgiving pictures. I will post a longer update later, b/c right now i have the kids

so I made

2 x 15Lb turkeys
      brussel sprouts
      stuffing
      rice pilaf
      mashed potatoes two kinds, one regular and the other with chorizo and garlic
      english style cauliflower with cheese sauce
      and a lot more...i promise i'll update soon!

Vehicles
      11-26-2011 05:13 PM #83
      and this is a repeat of the post from "Leftovers from Thanksgiving Recipes"

a few leftovers so far for two days we've made the following

turkey blintzes (ground up the turkey off the carcass. sauteed with left over portabellas, white mushrooms, onions and turkey stock, I turned the carcasses into cream of turkey soup, and also made cranberry pancakes today. Pictures below

/IMG]

Vehicles
      11-28-2011 04:49 PM #84
      Turkey Pot Pieeeeeeeeee

Vehicles
      2000 Plymouth Neon
      11-28-2011 07:07 PM #85
      That looks outstanding.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1960 FL
      12-10-2011 12:00 PM #86
      Glad I found this thread again. I plan on making a big dinner soon. Steak, and dunno what else yet. My main question is when you pan seared the steak with olive oil then finished them with butter.. Could I possibly get more details on that process? I want my steaks to have a nice crust on them like you pictured. Do I took them at medium high? Seasoning? Any kind of butter? Any recommendations on a side? I was thinking mashed potatoes or asparagus? Maybe adding crab or lobster to the mix. Any additional recipes/suggestions for sides would be appreciated. Thanks!

17. Member
      Vehicles
      jeep liberty
      12-10-2011 12:57 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by mrivera View Post
      Glad I found this thread again. I plan on making a big dinner soon. Steak, and dunno what else yet. My main question is when you pan seared the steak with olive oil then finished them with butter.. Could I possibly get more details on that process? I want my steaks to have a nice crust on them like you pictured. Do I took them at medium high? Seasoning? Any kind of butter? Any recommendations on a side? I was thinking mashed potatoes or asparagus? Maybe adding crab or lobster to the mix. Any additional recipes/suggestions for sides would be appreciated. Thanks!
      my suggestion for this would be. use a cast iron skillet at about medium high heat(let it really get heated before adding anything, as cast iron is heavy and takes a while). let your steaks get as close to room temp as possable(this will not only reduce the cooking time but also it will reduce heat loss in the pan). I season only with salt, and lots of it, put it on as the pan is heating up, this will draw some of the juices out which create that good crust. I do not oil the pan at all. also i dont season with anything else as peper burns, and with just salt you get a really nice beefy flavor with some bacon in there. Normally i do not add butter.
      When your ready to have flesh hit the fire, cook the steaks for about one and a half minutes per side(do not touch them at all until your ready to flip).
      when they are done make sure to let them rest for about 10 minutes

Using this method people i cook for cannot belive how good the steaks are, espeially since they are only seasoned with salt and the process is so simple

Warning: this method creates A LOT of smoke(even without pepper, and oil), which is why i usually just fire up the grill.

Vehicles
      12-10-2011 05:54 PM #88
      all you need is.

1. veggie oil
      2. butter
      3. salt and pepper

preheat oven to 400 degrees.
      take a good fry pan, or sautee pan, you can use cast iron, either way it will create smoke. but minimally hopefully.

as you're heating your pan, take the salt and oil and massage your meat. (lol)

add meat to searing hot pan. the oil on the steaks will help sear them. sear for about 2-3 minutes on each side to get a crust. you can pepper the steaks when your done searing. when you've seared off the second side, turn heat off, drop in about 2 tablespoons of butter. spoon over steaks. you can finish in the oven

if you like med/rare its about another 4-5 minutes in the oven. max.

if you're like me and like them still twitching, you can literally let them sit in the pan to carry over cooking, remove to plate, cover, then serve after resting for 5-10 minutes.

take pictures and let me know how it turns out!

yesterday I made a few of these

did a japanese style shabu shabu (google it)

breakfast was a prosciutto, egg and cheese on jewish rye yum!

other day was home made crepes with nutella and banana

also made pressure cooked Osso Buco. Delicious! used Lamb shanks

also made some home made guacamole

enjoy the pics!

Vehicles
      12-15-2011 10:48 AM #89
      I am by no means Korean, but i Love Soon Du Bu, that is hot tofu stew. its delicious, earthy and a home style dish. I made some yesterday. if anyone wants the recipe let me know and I will post it up.

Saw some fresh Uni at the korean market

I also made that steamed egg that they love! It really was amazing

This morning was whitefish and creamcheese on minibagels.

Enjoy the pictures!

Vehicles
      2000 Plymouth Neon
      12-15-2011 02:01 PM #90
      Everything looks good as always!

Keep the pics coming.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      1960 FL
      12-16-2011 12:58 AM #91
      Are those bowls stone? Where did you get them? I've never had Uni. Food looks great as usual.

Vehicles
      12-16-2011 12:50 PM #92
      Are those bowls stone? Where did you get them? I've never had Uni. Food looks great as usual.

these are the traditional Korean Clay earthen wear. sold for about $10-15 depending on size, picked them up at the local Korean Store "Assi Plaza"

http://www.lotteplaza.com/branch/bra...?Id=44&lan=ENG

I am sure you can get them online, but they will probably be pretty expensive as they are fairly heavy, fragile and costly to begin with.

Uni is delicious, I didn't buy any but they were fresh and crawling around

Vehicles
      12-16-2011 09:45 PM #93
      made some cookies tonight, got some stupid cookie exchange my wife is dragging me to. keep in mind that most people who like to cook, cant bake for ****. I am one of those.

these are basic sugar cookies that will be dipped in chocolate, not sure if i am going to coat them entirely or just half. suggestions?

Dinner is a roast chicken, blended 2 heads of garlic smooth, added melted ghee (cows clarified butter) paprika, and a few other spices, separated the skin from the meat, and shoved all that yummy goodness under the skin, also rubbed the outside down with it as well. its in the oven as I type this at 450 degrees. until internal breast reaches 150. (carry over will finish cooking her) ignore the fools who go by 180 degrees. thats called "well done nastiness"

dinner will be served with some yellow rice and sauteed brussel sprouts.

Vehicles
      12-24-2011 03:48 PM #94
      quick update, got a last minute christmas dinner to make, found out we were having 22 people over tomorrow yesterday.... FML

went to my local poultry guy and picked up a live turkey... yeah those birds are BIG when they are alive!

The damn thing is HUGE, I have to brine him for at least a day. so the only thing large enough is a cooler.

fresh bay leaves, sugar, salt, peppercorns, cider vinegar.

Yeah this bad boy is on my deck out back. hope no crazy critters get to it overnight!

also made some gravlax 2 days ago, salt/sugar curing it with dill.

some prep shots

This is about 24-36 hours after curing.

decided to bake some Challah Bread (notice a Jewish trend here?) The egg wash needs to be put on thicker, didn't put enough on to give it that sheen.

with the left over bread I made Challah French Toast!

I prefer the breakfast of champions!

That's all for now.

Expect some good pictures for tomorrow!
      Last edited by dieselraver; 12-24-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Vehicles
      12-25-2011 11:12 AM #95
      Merry Christmas to everyone!

here are some teaser shots! Just put the bird in at 10:00AM.

I think im going to have a glass of Red while I enjoy Christmas!

Vehicles
      12-25-2011 11:14 PM #96
      dinner!

Vehicles
      01-29-2012 04:42 PM #97
      just made some challah! its in the oven as i post this. some "after" pictures to come... if i remember

Vehicles
      01-29-2012 05:34 PM #98
      Challah bread. Done!

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-02-2012 11:55 PM #99
      I am coming over for dinner if I am ever in NYC again.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      02-03-2012 01:38 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      I am coming over for dinner if I am ever in NYC again.

bro you are always welcome. bring the beers!

Vehicles
      02-04-2012 06:24 PM #101
      bought 3Lbs of strawberries, they were on sale for $1.00 per carton, but also bought 6 containers of blue berries, (my daughter's favorite) so i had to use them up today b/c they were starting to get a bit pruney.

so what to do?

Homemade Strawberry Shortcake!

Vehicles
      2000 Plymouth Neon
      02-04-2012 06:32 PM #102
      Everything looks great. Per usual.

This thread always makes me so darn hungry! If I'm ever in NYC I'm stopping over for dinner too!

Vehicles
      02-04-2012 06:57 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryan D View Post
      Everything looks great. Per usual.

This thread always makes me so darn hungry! If I'm ever in NYC I'm stopping over for dinner too!

haha hell yeah the more the merrier.

Vehicles
      B6 S4
      02-04-2012 11:10 PM #104
      Just checked this thread again for the first time in a few months....oh. my. god.

Quote Originally Posted by lojasmo View Post
      I would kick that mechanic so hard, his nuts would give him black eyes.

Vehicles
      02-06-2012 01:03 AM #105
      This was cross posted to the breakfast thread, but this post has more pictures

made some home made biscuits this morning... nothing like an egg and bacon biscuit with a strong cup of coffee to start the day enjoy!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast