Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Diesels Cooking Thread

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      08-06-2011 11:03 PM #36
      Tonight I made Tilapia "Francese"

its basically tilapia floured and egged and then pan fried, with a lemon butter sauce. enjoy!

Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI
      08-07-2011 12:32 AM #37
      Please post the recipe for curry chicken salad. THANKS!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      E30 Cab & 1.8T Golf
      08-07-2011 09:11 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by dieselraver View Post
      Tonight I made Tilapia "Francese"

its basically tilapia floured and egged and then pan fried, with a lemon butter sauce. enjoy!

Looks good!

You may want to try cooking the fish in straight oil by itself. Take it out and make the sauce in the same pan and apply the sauce to the cooked fish. More crunchy bits is nice.

Same technique for cutlets, country fried steak, etc.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      08-07-2011 12:04 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by smittyATL View Post
      Looks good!

You may want to try cooking the fish in straight oil by itself. Take it out and make the sauce in the same pan and apply the sauce to the cooked fish. More crunchy bits is nice.

Yep! the tilapia was seasoned, floured then egged, sauteed in butter and olive oil, removed, a dash of flour for thickening, more butter, chicken stock (reduced) and juice of a lemon along with some seasonings, then the fish was added back in, thats what the pictures show after i've finished cooking, the fish was flaky and crispy on the edges

Quote Originally Posted by dbhatt View Post
      Please post the recipe for curry chicken salad. THANKS!
      cooked chicken white meat, peeled into large shreds
      2 ribs of celery cut into small dice
      1/2 cup of good mayo believe it or not Kirkland Mayo is one of the better ones ive had
      1/2 a packet of curry powder (get a good authentic one, the one I used was from malaysia, dad brought it back for me)
      salt, pepper, about 3 dashes of white vinegar for some tartness
      optional is a teaspoonful of dijon mustard without seeds such as grey poupon (sp?) a dash of cumin and you are good to go!

mix all and combine allow to sit for at least an hour to two so the flavors combine and work into the leftover chicken.

edit -

you can make your own blend of "curry" seasonings but you need a well stocked herb/spice cabinet, if you do have the spices they include in no specific order. the ones that give the curry powder its bright yellow color are the turmeric, mustard powder and cumin.

cumin, coriander, turmeric, pepper, mustard, garlic, salt, fenugreek, fennel and cinnamon
      Last edited by dieselraver; 08-07-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Mitsu Evo GSR (his) & 2003 PT GT (mine)
      08-07-2011 06:15 PM #40
      What did you use for the yellow rice? Packaged?

Vehicles
      08-07-2011 07:02 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by sakigt View Post
      What did you use for the yellow rice? Packaged?

which one? the spanish style rice?

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      08-07-2011 07:51 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by smittyATL View Post
      Looks good!

When you're doing a lemon-butter-wine sauce, you really don't want to do that. The real trick with the sauce is to stay the heck away from oaked chardonnay. You won't get any flavor but the oak chips the wine was pressed through. Sauvignon blanc or chenin blanc work pretty well. More fruity so you end up with a lot more flavor in the sauce.

I prefer to go healthier when cooking fish. I also have good access to fresh haddock and cod so I'd never consider tilapia. Lay the filets in a pyrex dish. Drizzle a little olive oil. Season with salt & pepper. Add herbs. I like tarragon. Top with a little panko or breadcrumb. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 and broil for maybe 3 minutes until the top is browned.

Vehicles
      08-07-2011 08:03 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      When you're doing a lemon-butter-wine sauce, you really don't want to do that. The real trick with the sauce is to stay the heck away from oaked chardonnay. You won't get any flavor but the oak chips the wine was pressed through. Sauvignon blanc or chenin blanc work pretty well. More fruity so you end up with a lot more flavor in the sauce.

I prefer to go healthier when cooking fish. I also have good access to fresh haddock and cod so I'd never consider tilapia. Lay the filets in a pyrex dish. Drizzle a little olive oil. Season with salt & pepper. Add herbs. I like tarragon. Top with a little panko or breadcrumb. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 and broil for maybe 3 minutes until the top is browned.

i find tilapia to be a nice neutral fish (wife loves chicken does that answer the question "why?" )
      im not a big fan of broiling as its a pain in the ass and I dont own a salamander. broiling takes too long for too little return (especially in the middle of summer), if i can i grill. its simple quick and easy. tarragon is one of my favorite herbs, i wanted to plant some but finding seeds here in NY was impossible.

also, i cook for me, my wife and daughter (22 months) wine sauce wouldn't float, nor would that "wine taste"

NYC has lots of good access to fresh fish, but yet again i reiterate the 22 month old and a 4 month old. going to farmers markets and daily shopping for dinner is a thing of the past unfortunately

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      08-07-2011 10:40 PM #44
      French tarragon doesn't grow from seed. Plants are started from cuttings. You usually have to order it from one of the internet seed/plant companies like Burpee.

Vehicles
      08-08-2011 06:58 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      French tarragon doesn't grow from seed. Plants are started from cuttings. You usually have to order it from one of the internet seed/plant companies like Burpee.

you've just given me an answer to 2 seasonal years of searching!

Vehicles
      08-08-2011 07:41 PM #46
      so tonight I made grilled pizzas toppings included sausage, ham, green peppers and fresh basil

enjoy the pictures!

and a video!

Vehicles
      08-10-2011 03:07 PM #47
      last nights dinner was grilled london broil, baked yukon golds and salad (notice its a healthy trend?) enjoy the pics! and remember, recipes available upon request!

[/IMG]

Vehicles
      08-10-2011 09:14 PM #48
      i completely forgot about the BBQ i did the other day, made some great tasting grilled shrimp (head on) some more chicken wings, some short rib steaks (korean BBQ style) and some of these chinese fish ball square things (they are delicious!) also sauteed some chinese broccoli with sesame oil and oyster sauce. enjoy the pics!

Vehicles
      2000 Plymouth Neon
      08-10-2011 09:26 PM #49
      It's looking good as usual!

Vehicles
      B6 S4
      08-11-2011 05:05 PM #50
      I need to stop following this thread...it makes me hungry. every. single. time.
      Quote Originally Posted by lojasmo View Post
      I would kick that mechanic so hard, his nuts would give him black eyes.

Vehicles
      08-11-2011 10:10 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryan D View Post
      It's looking good as usual!
      Quote Originally Posted by noznab View Post
      I need to stop following this thread...it makes me hungry. every. single. time.

thanks for the complements guys today I received my long desired Paella Pan!

straight from Spain!, washed, seasoned and its ready for some delicous Paella, who can recommend me some good places to get Saffron? i have some but not enough (need 20 stigmas)

and for dinner tonight was Beans with rice, mixed salad and Grilled Veal Chops seasoned with sea salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil for a day =) delicous!
      as always enjoy the pictures!

Vehicles
      08-16-2011 04:27 PM #52
      So last night i made a murry's free range chicken from Fairway supermarket. it was quite good! i used the paella pan in the oven, mainly because its huge, but also because I wanted to season it with some actual food before i try my paella.

here are the results!

notice the crispy layer of rice on the bottom? it was deliciously crunchy, nutty and full of flavor! the juices from the chicken permeate the rice and made for some good eats!

Lunch today was something simple. Bread with butter (smart balance) and fish roe.... amazing stuff!

today for dinner, i made some sauce, specifically sausage and basil, i took the casings off some sausage, sauteed it to remove the excess fat then combined it with onion, basil, chervil, oregano, lots of garlic and a few other things.

as usual, recipes available upon request!

Vehicles
      08-17-2011 04:58 PM #53
      Guess whats going on the grill tonight.....

Vehicles
      08-17-2011 10:24 PM #54
      and dinner!

Vehicles
      08-18-2011 08:56 PM #55
      lunch today I decided to make some japanese style food. i picked up this packet of wasabi stuff (real wasabi) that was frozen from Mitsuwa's japanese store in Bergen County NJ. you mix it with any fish and it becomes almost like a chirashi (fish over rice) also made some rice with fish roe over it, seasoned the rice with some sushi seasoning and the black sesame/sea salt mix

Dinner was homemade pizzas, (my wife likes what she likes)

toppings included chicken and apple smoked sausage, fresh mozzarella, basil, and super thin sliced garlic.

enjoy the pictures!

Vehicles
      08-23-2011 08:47 AM #56
      So last night I was up in Inwood/Washington Heights and on my way back down decided to stop at my wife's favorite place, Magnolia Bakery.

Picked up a few things,

chocolate cupcakes, a Red Velvet Cheesecake and their famous Red Velvet Cake.

I have no liking for all things sweet but the RV cake was really damn good. I mean wow, it wasn't overly sweet, and was light and fluffy.

enjoy the pictures!

Dinner was Veal Chops on the bone with something new. Pesto Mashed potatoes (basil & garlic herb butter)

i took fresh basil and garlic, blitzed it with some olive oil, added butter, and cooked it down then drizzled into the mashed potatoes.

it did turn them a strange color but it was tasty regardless!

enjoy the pics!

22. 08-23-2011 03:27 PM #57
      i this thread soooo much. however, i need to remember to not look at it when my lunch break is still an hour away!

thanks for sharing all of this deliciousness with us!
      1. is my post informative?
      2. am I contributing to the topic at hand?
      3. will my post offend anyone?
      if you can answer those questions go right ahead and post away.

Vehicles
      08-23-2011 03:35 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by archangel06 View Post
      i this thread soooo much. however, i need to remember to not look at it when my lunch break is still an hour away!

thanks for sharing all of this deliciousness with us!

i appreciate the comments! it makes my posting worthwhile glad to see people actually read and like it!

24. 08-23-2011 08:56 PM #59
      Could you post the recipe for your grilled pizza? I'd mainly like to know how you make the crust and what you use for sauce. Cooking temp and time would help as well.

Thanks

Dave

Vehicles
      B6 S4
      08-23-2011 11:15 PM #60
      ^^ was about to ask this too. That pizza looks bomb!
      Quote Originally Posted by lojasmo View Post
      I would kick that mechanic so hard, his nuts would give him black eyes.

Vehicles
      08-24-2011 02:13 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by wakeboarderdave View Post
      Could you post the recipe for your grilled pizza? I'd mainly like to know how you make the crust and what you use for sauce. Cooking temp and time would help as well.

Thanks

Dave
      Quote Originally Posted by noznab View Post
      ^^ was about to ask this too. That pizza looks bomb!

i've tried my hand at making pizza dough, it NEVER tastes like the pizzeria dough. so for $2.00 per pizza dough from my local guy, i just buy the dough outright. (yes its only $2.00)

However if you want to give it a go, my pizza dough recipe is as follows

Yeast - bloomed in warm water
      All Purpose flour! **do not use whole wheat flour, it will taste strange (ask me how i know)
      olive oil
      salt
      a touch of sugar
      the directions as per allrecipes.com
      Directions

1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
      2. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, olive oil, salt, white sugar and the yeast mixture; stir well to combine. Beat well until a stiff dough has formed. Cover and rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
      3. Turn dough out onto a well floured surface. Form dough into a round and roll out into a pizza crust shape. Cover with your favorite sauce and toppings and cook.

the amount of time, labor and frustration as well as relative cheapness of the dough makes it 100% worthwhile. as for the sauce, crushed or pureed tomatoes, or you could go with a tomato sauce.

the canned sauce I use is usually this one

or this one

Add some fresh basil, chervil, oregano and thyme from my garden, as well as fresh garlic (usually sliced paper thin or blitzed in a blender with some olive oil) add some salt & pepper and you have an amazing tomato sauce for your pizzas.

to make the pizzas i hand stretch never roll the pizza dough. you can use corn meal to prevent it from sticking to your board, or even flour. i prefer using a thin coating of olive oil on my hands to do this because since its getting grilled, the dough will crisp nicely, also make sure your grill is super hot and by super hot i mean 450-500 degrees. the pizza has to be cooked indirectly! not in the flame or the only thing you will have will be burnt pizza dough.

I used to make my pizzas complete and then slide them onto the grill what a PITA. without a pizza skiff its a nightmare. now i stretch my dough and then place it on the bbq, then quickly add everything onto the pizza.

I would love some suggestions for new recipes to try! post some comments and i'll be more than happy to try some new recipes!

Today for lunch i made shish kebabs.

bought some beef and marinated it with blended onion, salt, oregano, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice and a few other things, marinated for a day so that the lemon can break the meat down, skewered and then BBQ'ed

also cut some tomatoes in half, salt, pepper, olive oil nice toss, then right on the BBQ.

shelled some fresh peas for some "spanish style" rice

*if anyone has a good recipe for home made spanish style rice without breaking the bank (20+ saffron threads) i'd love to know it!

as always enjoy the pictures!

Vehicles
      08-25-2011 01:35 PM #62
      Guess what's for dinner tonight.....

The marbling is ridiculous!

Vehicles
      08-25-2011 09:36 PM #63
      And dinner is served!

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures because i sure as hell enjoyed eating it!

08-26-2011 09:15 AM #64
      That steak is cooked exactly how I like it.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      08-26-2011 10:15 AM #65
      And dinner is served!

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures because i sure as hell enjoyed eating it!
      is that just butter in the pan with the steaks?

Vehicles
      08-27-2011 08:44 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by jollyrodgers View Post
      is that just butter in the pan with the steaks?

No sir! the steaks are first fried in oil, either olive or veggie, when you flip to side two you add a blob of butter to finish them delicious buttery goodness!

Breakfast this morning consisted of Waffles

Tonight because of Hurricane Irene we decided to rough it!

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      08-27-2011 10:34 PM #67
      I haven't had decent asparagus since the wild fresh local stuff this spring. Every bunch I get lately has been chewy and woody.
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      08-27-2011 10:50 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      I haven't had decent asparagus since the wild fresh local stuff this spring. Every bunch I get lately has been chewy and woody.

these were quite soft, i broke them where they wanted to break and they were very tender, flavorful and not at all woody

Vehicles
      08-28-2011 08:46 PM #69
      in a shocking turn of events a Hurricane hits NYC and my wife decided to make dinner! (this is the type of woman that can burn a salad! ok well not really, but she doesn't cook like at all!)

so i was happy to oblige when she said she would make Borscht! don't ask me whats in it, (unless you really want to know)

just know that the smell of beets, even the slightest whiff of them makes me want to vomit. however Borscht I could eat 24/7.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      08-28-2011 09:40 PM #70
      I made beef wellington tonight, was going to take some pics but I got distracted by the baby.
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast