Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesels Cooking Thread

Brooklyn NYC - Current Cars: - '15 VW Touareg TDI Lux '14 VW Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '12 Odyssey EX-L '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT -
      07-26-2011 07:50 AM #26
      So today I made blueberry pancakes, I did some grilled salmon with a sour cream dill sauce but forgot to take pictures. Pancakes came out great although I personally do not eat them (my wife and daughter love them) best part is I wake up at 6:30 roll out of bed and make my way downstairs for about 6:36/6:40. Cook her and my daughter breakfast (usually leave it warming in the oven) and am out the door by 7:00am. Today I manage to make pancakes, pack her lunch and make myself a low fat egg substitute burrito. All within 20 minutes. And I didn't just make 2-4 I must have made about 10-14 of them :-) enjoy the pictures!

Looking for a new or used Volkswagen in NY/NJ/CT? PM me! I offer bottom line pricing! GTI Monster Mats & Gorilla Liner for Sale! http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...la-Trunk-Liner

Brooklyn NYC - Current Cars: - '15 VW Touareg TDI Lux '14 VW Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '12 Odyssey EX-L '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT -
      08-02-2011 07:04 AM #27
      so if you haven't already seen, my wife is a HUGE fan of chicken, its chicken this, chicken that.... i get a bit sick of it after awhile so i always try to find new ways to make chicken, this time I marinated it a bit different, used some soy, adobo seasoning, garlic powder, and a few other things in my arsenal and roasted the whole damn thing on the BBQ again, (its really not hard, and much easier than running an oven in your house with 92 degree weather)

i also made creamed spinach enjoy!

Looking for a new or used Volkswagen in NY/NJ/CT? PM me! I offer bottom line pricing! GTI Monster Mats & Gorilla Liner for Sale! http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...la-Trunk-Liner

08-02-2011 10:36 AM #28
      I love this thread. Great food and great looking pictures.

Vehicles
      2000 Plymouth Neon
      08-02-2011 01:36 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by LGBoogie19 View Post
      X2

Keep up the great work.

Vehicles
      08-04-2011 11:46 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryan D View Post
      X2

Keep up the great work.
      Quote Originally Posted by LGBoogie19 View Post

thanks for the positive reviews!

Last night made some pasta and homemade sauce, for the sauce i used some chicken, feta and spinach sausage, cooked in the sauce, then cut them up into chunks and threw em back into the sauce. pasta was one of those enriched white pastas, which is even better than a wholegrain pasta, lots of vitamins and fiber in a white pasta?! its a win-win! made a mixed baby greens salad, and used some of my own yellow heirloom tomatoes, cut in some israeli cucumbers and voila!

Home grown Heirlooms delicious flavor!

Salad.

Strawberries were on sale at the supermarket so i went a little crazy, came home with 6 cartons my daughter loves these things

Dinner is served

My 4 month old son is transitioning to baby foods, so I make him homemade organic peas and we're good to go!
      Blanched, and then pureed

Breakfast this morning was healthy, a half of a burrito, 2 strips of turkey bacon, and fat free cheddar.

it may sound blah, but honestly ive gotten used to it and it tastes delicious, plus at about 200 calories, its worth it!

half a wrap 110 k/cal
      1 serving of cheddar 45k/cal
      2 strips turkey bacon 30k/cal
      egg substitue 30k/cal
      grand total of 225k/cal

Last edited by dieselraver; 08-04-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Vehicles
      08-04-2011 02:09 PM #31
      we're on a roll today!

Curried Chicken Salad. recipe available upon request!

7. 08-04-2011 02:11 PM #32
      great thread. keep it up!

Vehicles
      08-04-2011 05:31 PM #33
      dinner was going to be BBQ pizzas made from scratch, but I saw some good red snapper and couldn't pass it up.... didn't realize it wasnt scaled... man there are fish scales EVERYWHERE!

this snapper is going right on the grill whole YUM!

Vehicles
      08-04-2011 08:17 PM #34
      and here is dinner!

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI / 2012 Audi A4 / PAST 1999.5 MKIV Jetta / 2000 MKIV Jetta / 2004 B6 Audi A4
      08-04-2011 09:06 PM #35
      MMMMM that fish looks good!

i miss living in the islands and getting fresh sea food all the time
      2010 CSG GTI DSG | APR Stage I ECU | APR/Carbonio Stage I & II Intake | APR RSC Cat-back | AWE T.O.P | Smoked Corner Markers | Koni Coilovers | VCDS

Vehicles
      08-06-2011 11:03 PM #36
      Tonight I made Tilapia "Francese"

its basically tilapia floured and egged and then pan fried, with a lemon butter sauce. enjoy!

Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI
      08-07-2011 12:32 AM #37
      Please post the recipe for curry chicken salad. THANKS!

13. Banned
      Vehicles
      E30 Cab & 1.8T Golf
      08-07-2011 09:11 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by dieselraver View Post
      Tonight I made Tilapia "Francese"

its basically tilapia floured and egged and then pan fried, with a lemon butter sauce. enjoy!

Looks good!

You may want to try cooking the fish in straight oil by itself. Take it out and make the sauce in the same pan and apply the sauce to the cooked fish. More crunchy bits is nice.

Same technique for cutlets, country fried steak, etc.

Vehicles
      08-07-2011 12:04 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by smittyATL View Post
      Looks good!

You may want to try cooking the fish in straight oil by itself. Take it out and make the sauce in the same pan and apply the sauce to the cooked fish. More crunchy bits is nice.

Yep! the tilapia was seasoned, floured then egged, sauteed in butter and olive oil, removed, a dash of flour for thickening, more butter, chicken stock (reduced) and juice of a lemon along with some seasonings, then the fish was added back in, thats what the pictures show after i've finished cooking, the fish was flaky and crispy on the edges

Quote Originally Posted by dbhatt View Post
      Please post the recipe for curry chicken salad. THANKS!
      cooked chicken white meat, peeled into large shreds
      2 ribs of celery cut into small dice
      1/2 cup of good mayo believe it or not Kirkland Mayo is one of the better ones ive had
      1/2 a packet of curry powder (get a good authentic one, the one I used was from malaysia, dad brought it back for me)
      salt, pepper, about 3 dashes of white vinegar for some tartness
      optional is a teaspoonful of dijon mustard without seeds such as grey poupon (sp?) a dash of cumin and you are good to go!

mix all and combine allow to sit for at least an hour to two so the flavors combine and work into the leftover chicken.

edit -

you can make your own blend of "curry" seasonings but you need a well stocked herb/spice cabinet, if you do have the spices they include in no specific order. the ones that give the curry powder its bright yellow color are the turmeric, mustard powder and cumin.

cumin, coriander, turmeric, pepper, mustard, garlic, salt, fenugreek, fennel and cinnamon
      Last edited by dieselraver; 08-07-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Mitsu Evo GSR (his), 2003 PT GT (mine), 2012 Odyssey (ours
      08-07-2011 06:15 PM #40
      What did you use for the yellow rice? Packaged?

Vehicles
      08-07-2011 07:02 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by sakigt View Post
      What did you use for the yellow rice? Packaged?

which one? the spanish style rice?

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      08-07-2011 07:51 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by smittyATL View Post
      Looks good!

When you're doing a lemon-butter-wine sauce, you really don't want to do that. The real trick with the sauce is to stay the heck away from oaked chardonnay. You won't get any flavor but the oak chips the wine was pressed through. Sauvignon blanc or chenin blanc work pretty well. More fruity so you end up with a lot more flavor in the sauce.

I prefer to go healthier when cooking fish. I also have good access to fresh haddock and cod so I'd never consider tilapia. Lay the filets in a pyrex dish. Drizzle a little olive oil. Season with salt & pepper. Add herbs. I like tarragon. Top with a little panko or breadcrumb. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 and broil for maybe 3 minutes until the top is browned.

Vehicles
      08-07-2011 08:03 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      When you're doing a lemon-butter-wine sauce, you really don't want to do that. The real trick with the sauce is to stay the heck away from oaked chardonnay. You won't get any flavor but the oak chips the wine was pressed through. Sauvignon blanc or chenin blanc work pretty well. More fruity so you end up with a lot more flavor in the sauce.

I prefer to go healthier when cooking fish. I also have good access to fresh haddock and cod so I'd never consider tilapia. Lay the filets in a pyrex dish. Drizzle a little olive oil. Season with salt & pepper. Add herbs. I like tarragon. Top with a little panko or breadcrumb. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 and broil for maybe 3 minutes until the top is browned.

i find tilapia to be a nice neutral fish (wife loves chicken does that answer the question "why?" )
      im not a big fan of broiling as its a pain in the ass and I dont own a salamander. broiling takes too long for too little return (especially in the middle of summer), if i can i grill. its simple quick and easy. tarragon is one of my favorite herbs, i wanted to plant some but finding seeds here in NY was impossible.

also, i cook for me, my wife and daughter (22 months) wine sauce wouldn't float, nor would that "wine taste"

NYC has lots of good access to fresh fish, but yet again i reiterate the 22 month old and a 4 month old. going to farmers markets and daily shopping for dinner is a thing of the past unfortunately

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      08-07-2011 10:40 PM #44
      French tarragon doesn't grow from seed. Plants are started from cuttings. You usually have to order it from one of the internet seed/plant companies like Burpee.

Vehicles
      08-08-2011 06:58 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      French tarragon doesn't grow from seed. Plants are started from cuttings. You usually have to order it from one of the internet seed/plant companies like Burpee.

you've just given me an answer to 2 seasonal years of searching!

Vehicles
      08-08-2011 07:41 PM #46
      so tonight I made grilled pizzas toppings included sausage, ham, green peppers and fresh basil

enjoy the pictures!

and a video!

Vehicles
      08-10-2011 03:07 PM #47
      last nights dinner was grilled london broil, baked yukon golds and salad (notice its a healthy trend?) enjoy the pics! and remember, recipes available upon request!

[/IMG]

Vehicles
      08-10-2011 09:14 PM #48
      i completely forgot about the BBQ i did the other day, made some great tasting grilled shrimp (head on) some more chicken wings, some short rib steaks (korean BBQ style) and some of these chinese fish ball square things (they are delicious!) also sauteed some chinese broccoli with sesame oil and oyster sauce. enjoy the pics!

Vehicles
      2000 Plymouth Neon
      08-10-2011 09:26 PM #49
      It's looking good as usual!

Vehicles
      B6 S4
      08-11-2011 05:05 PM #50
      I need to stop following this thread...it makes me hungry. every. single. time.
      Quote Originally Posted by lojasmo View Post
      I would kick that mechanic so hard, his nuts would give him black eyes.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast