Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So.. I felt like getting dirty again..

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      06-24-2012 01:27 PM #36
      Is that single radiator adequate? How have the temperatures been?
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

07-07-2012 02:05 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQualude View Post
      Is that single radiator adequate? How have the temperatures been?

I think it'll be "ok". Worst case scenario I could add another later on (the 120mm on pg1).

I got some progress going.. currently uploading pics..
      Sent from my vwvortex account.

07-07-2012 02:17 PM #38
      Got a major PITA out the way this weekend. I finally figured out a simple case frame scheme to make sure everything is nice and sturdy.

Eventually I'll be able to lay the case on it's side witht the rad+fan facing down. The added support pegs will be in the making once I complete the first part of the case frame.

PICS:

This thing is taking forever. With holidays coming up here in France, I've been doing some OT at work. My neighbors hate it when I have the dremel + vacuum cleaner on at the same time.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      07-07-2012 05:22 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by morbs_gt View Post
      I think it'll be "ok". Worst case scenario I could add another later on (the 120mm on pg1).

I got some progress going.. currently uploading pics..

I started with a double, then added a double. The next build was a pair of triples, then experimenting with different fans to find the proper acceptable noise combination. Finally changed pumps & then tops. It works really well at keeping the temperatures down under load. It's amazing how much cooler the room is, plus quieter, versus air cooling.

I'm in the middle of a new build, but got delayed by a motherboard RMA on the new MB. It was DOA from the retailer.
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

07-07-2012 08:51 PM #40
      I started with a double, then added a double. The next build was a pair of triples, then experimenting with different fans to find the proper acceptable noise combination. Finally changed pumps & then tops. It works really well at keeping the temperatures down under load. It's amazing how much cooler the room is, plus quieter, versus air cooling.

I'm in the middle of a new build, but got delayed by a motherboard RMA on the new MB. It was DOA from the retailer.
      Thay's good to know. Besides upgrading cpu and gpu in the the past, this is really my first balls out build, and first time building a liquid cooled sysyem.

I won't be pushing the end result too hard, but maybe as time goes by I'll get the gist of what I really need to add if I do push ot it. I'm just hope what I'm building today will leave space for add-ons later on.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      07-08-2012 04:00 PM #41
      Thay's good to know. Besides upgrading cpu and gpu in the the past, this is really my first balls out build, and first time building a liquid cooled sysyem.

I won't be pushing the end result too hard, but maybe as time goes by I'll get the gist of what I really need to add if I do push ot it. I'm just hope what I'm building today will leave space for add-ons later on.
      All you need to know is that the more surface area of cooling you have, the better the result. I found 70 CFM fans to be to my liking in a quiet room. In a noisier room, or with a higher tolerance, you can use higher CFM fans for better results. A good high flow pump is a must, & then an aftermarket top to improve the flow would be the next step. There is a small improvement, .5-1°C, by using 1/2" ID tubing over 3/8" ID tubing. Not worth it IMHO over the ability to bend the smaller tubing for loops. Tubing springs do help with bends & keeping hoses from collapsing. Depending on available space, you can remotely mount radiators on stands, so they don't have to be mounted to the system case. I recently came across wall mounts for radiators. You can mount them to a wall near where an A/C vent can blow on the radiator, or not & just go with more radiator area in free space.

07-18-2012 01:50 PM #42
      All you need to know is that the more surface area of cooling you have, the better the result. I found 70 CFM fans to be to my liking in a quiet room. In a noisier room, or with a higher tolerance, you can use higher CFM fans for better results. A good high flow pump is a must, & then an aftermarket top to improve the flow would be the next step. There is a small improvement, .5-1°C, by using 1/2" ID tubing over 3/8" ID tubing. Not worth it IMHO over the ability to bend the smaller tubing for loops. Tubing springs do help with bends & keeping hoses from collapsing. Depending on available space, you can remotely mount radiators on stands, so they don't have to be mounted to the system case. I recently came across wall mounts for radiators. You can mount them to a wall near where an A/C vent can blow on the radiator, or not & just go with more radiator area in free space.
      Thanks for the info I'll have to see how this goes and then improvise.

Some more progress pics, worked some more on the case frame. I think it's looking better than pg1..

Vehicles
      2004 Turbo VR6
      07-18-2012 02:58 PM #43
      Dude! That looks sweet!
      -James
      04 GTI Silverstone 24vT :: GT35r - TT 264/260 - Unitronic 630cc - Bosch 044 - Area51 SRI - Full 3" TB :: More in progress
      >> http://zingledot.myminicity.com/ | http://sourceforge.net/projects/imagizer2 <<

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      07-19-2012 01:52 AM #44
      Thanks for the info I'll have to see how this goes and then improvise.
      You're welcome. I finally got my replacement board today & after bench testing it, am now running it in its case. It's a minimal build, just to make sure it's working okay before finishing the wiring, but the radiators, pump, & water blocks are hooked up. The fans however are not. The temps are pretty decent, so a bunch of radiators spread out in free space would probably work out well dumping the heat to ambient air.

07-19-2012 05:09 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by PhReE View Post
      Dude! That looks sweet!
      Thanks

You're welcome. I finally got my replacement board today & after bench testing it, am now running it in its case. It's a minimal build, just to make sure it's working okay before finishing the wiring, but the radiators, pump, & water blocks are hooked up. The fans however are not. The temps are pretty decent, so a bunch of radiators spread out in free space would probably work out well dumping the heat to ambient air.
      Nice, there should be a custom rig thread in the computers forum for the modders to show off their setups. I think I remember a guts thread floating around, but haven't posted there yet.

I tested the board when I first got it, I got an error message about the CPU not being supported at boot, but got passed it. There may be a new bios flash available for this. Supposedly the board only supports 95w cpu, but that's false

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      07-20-2012 02:34 AM #46
      Thanks
      Nice, there should be a custom rig thread in the computers forum for the modders to show off their setups. I think I remember a guts thread floating around, but haven't posted there yet.
      Start a thread & maybe it gets stickied?

I'm still working on sorting this one out. It wont boot in Crossfire with the PCI-E HD in place. It works fine with the RevoDrive3 & one VC, but not with two. Oh, & the customary MS telling me I have an unregistered copy of W7 because of hardware changes.

I tested the board when I first got it, I got an error message about the CPU not being supported at boot, but got passed it. There may be a new bios flash available for this. Supposedly the board only supports 95w cpu, but that's false
      I have the same CPU in my secondary system on a watercooled ASUS Crosshair IV. It was good for 4.2 GHz, but it's been dialed back to 4 GHz because it's now used by the household.

Edit: Minimal effort has already netted me 4.9+ GHz on all 8 cores.
      Last edited by CaptainQualude; 07-20-2012 at 07:46 AM.

07-21-2012 11:11 AM #47
      Oh, & the customary MS telling me I have an unregistered copy of W7 because of hardware changes.
      Back when I was using XP and changed major parts out, I just called the 800 number and did the robot lady registration. I think only once I actually got someone from Bangalore on the phone asking me for the numbers on the inside of the CD ring to make sure it was a real CD, every other 100s of times I either reinstalled XP or reactivated it, I'd just dial the number, dialed in the onscreen codes and the robot lady would spit out the new registration code group by group I still have the CD, it had some spots on it the last time I installed XP, but it still works.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      07-21-2012 06:48 PM #48
      I went through the automated telephone call reactivation. I like to occasionally clone my whole OS as a back up to a standard platter HD, clean it up, defrag, etc., then clone it back to my SSD. MS doesn't like that. Even just cloning the OS as a back up in case W7 screws up isn't acceptable to MS. Imagine being anal & cloning your HD daily. You'd have to call MS daily, & they would eventually try to screw you. MS needs to come up with a better way for their customers not to be hassled. BTW, the message this time wasn't a 30 day count down, it was 3 days.

Anyway, I'm sitting @ 5.0 GHz currently on all 8 cores. It accomplishes tasks really quick.

08-03-2012 08:25 AM #49
      I'm really liking your build, great job!

Mine however is on a short halt. My place got broken into, of everyhting they could have taken, just the GF's camera was stolen, but the apartmenet is a real mess. I already got mugged on the train a couple months back, and now this. I guess I'll be spending most time cleaning-up this weekend, and I really need to get a safe this time.

On the bright side, this thing should be done anytime soon though. There's not much left, I just need to man-up a little.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      08-05-2012 02:09 PM #50
      I'm really liking your build, great job!
      Thank you. :-)

Mine however is on a short halt. My place got broken into, of everyhting they could have taken, just the GF's camera was stolen, but the apartmenet is a real mess. I already got mugged on the train a couple months back, and now this. I guess I'll be spending most time cleaning-up this weekend, and I really need to get a safe this time.
      Well that sucks. :-( Human nature is what it is no matter where you are on the planet.

08-10-2012 04:38 AM #51
      So I got some progress going with the covers. I finished the rear panel yesterday and will be getting some more plexi for the sides and some sand paper this afternoon. If all goes according to plan, I should be done this weekend.

08-21-2012 09:31 AM #52
      Dammit, I fuxored a piece of the power socket, but sodered it back into place.

Meh factor aside, here are 2 more pics..

Currently working on the ssd placement, will be between tank and front cover.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      08-21-2012 11:20 AM #53
      Looks good. It's finally taking shape.

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      01-09-2013 03:41 PM #54
      Any updates?
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

01-16-2013 10:16 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Minker17 View Post
      Any updates?
      Not much sorry.. been busy doing some of this sh!t..

I'll be back in about 6 months

Vehicles
      2000 7.3PSD, 99.5 7.3PSD, 2003 F150 FX4
      03-09-2013 12:09 PM #56
      Just found this, awesome work.

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      07-29-2014 09:28 AM #57
      Anything new?
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

08-03-2014 06:13 AM #58
      Thanks for mentioning this thread over in the other liquid cooled request one!

Well lots has happened since Jan '13, my trip around the world ended, and now have time once more for these little projects

I ~recently made this thread for budget builds, and ended up gutting that machine to revive the parts long stored.

I just now finnished putting things together after some hacking, bolting, adjusting, squishing, and skin-breaking. I'm pleased with my new franken-WTF-is-that build, but now have to leak test and load some *nix to start playing around with it

New parts are dual 120mm fans and rad, and a pwm/vr dual fan controller, all other parts are from the previous build.

I'll skip the minor skin-breaking fab work for the fan support, but there's a small vent on the top ofthe tower, and the slits in fornt and back of the support will allow additional air to come in, hopefully being additionally cooled by he aluminum framing. I did have to cut parts out of the original case for the internals etc...

Sorry about the flash, new phone, more important things to do

And one with another case for good measure, along with my world trip companion pictured in my 20k ft summit ascension pic above (I do not work for salomon).

I'll post more results once the leak test is completed and things are up and running

08-16-2014 04:50 AM #59
      I've since added temp monitor at the graphics card where it outputs back to the reservoir, runs at around 25-32 C at the end of the circuit depending on how warm it is in the room.

Still haven't benchmarked/overclocked/stressed, just checked for leaks and tried to get my old ssd back up and running. I've spotted an old Kubuntu install on one, and it seems I had grub boot a windows 7 on another spinner which I later found in the pile of disks.

Will post more once I've found a more appropriate fan controller.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12