Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: TSI Intake Manifold Removal DIY + Valve Cleaning

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT-RS
      07-14-2011 11:12 PM #36
      That TB bolt is a bitch. Before I got a flex head wrench I used a t30 bit that had a loop on the end. I would use a very small flat head to insert into the loop to turn the torx bit. It is possible to reach that bolt from underneath the car using a long narrow extension. It's still a PITA but doable. You're just gonna have to get creative. If you've removed the coolant line support bolts, you should be able to push the line bracket to the side to make it easier. GL man. You'll git er done!
      '09 GTI TSI 11.53@121.18
      '12 TT-RS TBD!

Vehicles
      2009 GLI, 2008 yzf-R1, 01 yzf-600r
      07-15-2011 08:36 AM #37
      I really hope so because I was very close to snapping that bolt off since I'm replacing the mani anyway...I just didn't want to damage the TB. my knuckles and fingers are all sorts of scratched up thanks to that back left TB screw. Why they thought hardline coolant hoses were/are necessary is beyond me. going to pick up four injector rebuild kits just in case since it seems I may accidentally go beast mode on this thing and whip out the dremell & sawzaw tag team

picked up a stubby pivoting ratchet and a socket style T30, hopefully that will give me better access.
      Last edited by onevrsix; 07-15-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Vehicles
      CC, V50 - T-Bird , MG , Volvo 122s , Volvo 144 , Volvo 242 GT
      07-15-2011 09:07 PM #38
      Most Likely - Time & Heat - thing - in regards to Hard Piping :

Then - the Entire thing won't work - because of a very little Fitting on the End of a Wire :

Removing the Seal :
      Last edited by EngTech1; 07-15-2011 at 09:11 PM.
      I'll do My Best to Help You: ** Fall Sale is On ! ** -

Vehicles
      07-15-2011 10:57 PM #39
      when I pulled the manifold out Two injectors came with it. I put everthing back together and now I've got a serious missfire and EPC light on.
      I'm thinking it has something to do with the injectors because the little white washers sit between the fuel injectors and the engine came out when pulled. My buddy pulls out the rebuild kit and tells me there was a revision and this goes in place of the white piece.

Now I'm afraid that this piece that I installed on the two injector was wrong and is causing some kind of failure. I think i'm going to take it apart tomorrow morning to try and see where I went wrong. this is going to be miserable

Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      07-16-2011 12:30 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by onevrsix View Post
      when I pulled the manifold out Two injectors came with it. I put everthing back together and now I've got a serious missfire and EPC light on.
      I'm thinking it has something to do with the injectors because the little white washers sit between the fuel injectors and the engine came out when pulled. My buddy pulls out the rebuild kit and tells me there was a revision and this goes in place of the white piece.

Now I'm afraid that this piece that I installed on the two injector was wrong and is causing some kind of failure. I think i'm going to take it apart tomorrow morning to try and see where I went wrong. this is going to be miserable

I wonder if the washers are one time use. I know this is the case with tdi injectors. reusing the washers,will not allow proper sitting and optimum spray pattern.

Vehicles
      07-16-2011 01:04 PM #41
      Actually right before I went to sleep last night I remembered I forgot to plug in an injector. So epc is off but I still have the same studders whenever boost exceeds 12 psi. Im going to get vcds this afternoon so we'll see what codes im throwing. Plus I have to clear my old codes.

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      02 Z06, 13 GTI
      07-16-2011 04:36 PM #42
      Thanks for the DIY.

Most likely will end up doing this myself.

Vehicles
      07-18-2011 09:00 AM #43
      Actually right before I went to sleep last night I remembered I forgot to plug in an injector. So epc is off but I still have the same studers whenever boost exceeds 12 psi. Im going to get vcds this afternoon so we'll see what codes im throwing. Plus I have to clear my old codes.

Resolved the issue yesterday, it was my spark plugs. Car runs like a raped ape! absolutely astounding. First time I've been able to actually feel/enjoy my stage two tune.
      Many thanks for the DIY, before this I was blowing out the nipple that is attached to the pressure actuated arm, and upon removal of the manifold I noticed that the flaps just didn't work.
      My fingers are still healing and despite starting with gloves they were torn and tattered beyond usefulness by the end, which resulted in an excessive amount of engine grime cracked under my fingernails oh the joy's of owning a VW; rear brakes and oil change on deck for next weekend.

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      07-18-2011 10:29 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt_TDI View Post
      I wonder if the washers are one time use. I know this is the case with tdi injectors. reusing the washers,will not allow proper sitting and optimum spray pattern.
      Yeah the washers are one time use.
      I already ordered 4 injector sealers from ECS tuning in prep for this install.

rear brakes and oil change on deck for next weekend.
      Get ready fro some more fun, getting to the triple square bolts in order to remove the rear calipers is a PITA.
      Front brakes are easy as pie to swap out though.
      :APR -stage 2 :BSH -Intake,Mounts,RSB,TB Pipe :Whiteline -A.L.K. :Porsche 17Z BBK
      :Devils Own -DVC-30+Direct Port Injection :BC Racing -BR Coilovers :Flik-FTD :OSIR
      :Eurojet -Ceramic Coated TBE :DEFI :Unibrace :Tyrolsport :Bildon :Hawk :034
      TSI FAQ: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4042736

Vehicles
      07-18-2011 11:19 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by ViRtUaLheretic View Post

Get ready fro some more fun, getting to the triple square bolts in order to remove the rear calipers is a PITA.
      Front brakes are easy as pie to swap out though.
      Thanks for the heads up

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T (sold)
      08-06-2011 10:55 AM #46
      Damn man I didn't realize you were in F'Burg. I've been seriously looking into this project, I'm just hoping a lot of it is the same on my FSI. Maybe once I decide to do it you could come give me a hand? I'll buy beer

Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      08-15-2011 08:48 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by JRMGTI View Post
      Excellent write-up. Lucky for me just got the new manifold and valve cleaning done under warranty.
      What? Warranty doesn't cover this, because if they did, Audi and VW dudes would be all over it like syrup on pancakes! SEEKING RESPONSE!
      "There's nothing like a well tuned car on an open road". Paul Newman
      *The New 2011 VW Jetta... At Least You Pay Less To Get Less!*

Vehicles
      08-15-2011 09:10 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by JRMGTI View Post
      Excellent write-up. Lucky for me just got the new manifold and valve cleaning done under warranty.
      My First Intake manifold Issues came at around 25,000 miles , but didn't get Fixed Until or
      Shell We say Figured Out - Till I went to a Different VW Dealer & Bitched !

34,000 miles Fixed , Now It's got 54,000 Happening all over again !

Tried the TSB on the Wiring Seems to have Helped but only - Lasted 3 weeks .
      How Long are Repairs Warrantied ?
      54,000 - plus a month of long distance Driving .
      Now 60,000 miles .
      ( Connection were - Firg'd Up - by the First Dealer ) , and the second - didn't Perform the TSB
      When the First Manifold was Done !

Out of Pocket on the TSB - Wiring .

Now comes the P2015 Code - WTF - this is a PITA !

Is this the Part I need for the Fix , can this be done - without removing Manifold ?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...take/ES281203/

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT-RS
      08-15-2011 09:25 PM #49
      Resolved the issue yesterday, it was my spark plugs. Car runs like a raped ape! absolutely astounding. First time I've been able to actually feel/enjoy my stage two tune.
      Many thanks for the DIY, before this I was blowing out the nipple that is attached to the pressure actuated arm, and upon removal of the manifold I noticed that the flaps just didn't work.
      My fingers are still healing and despite starting with gloves they were torn and tattered beyond usefulness by the end, which resulted in an excessive amount of engine grime cracked under my fingernails oh the joy's of owning a VW; rear brakes and oil change on deck for next weekend.
      Glad you go it fixed. I'm sorry I didn't chime in but the email notifications suck since the new website and for some reason I didn't get any notifications from the posts in July. WTF? now I starts to notify me for some reason.
      '09 GTI TSI 11.53@121.18
      '12 TT-RS TBD!

Vehicles
      08-15-2011 09:40 PM #50
      Nothing Is Fixed : and what the F___ is the Subject Matter Attached to Your Response ?

Spark Plugs aren't Going To Cut the Mustard Here !

Glad you go it fixed. I'm sorry I didn't chime in but the email notifications suck since the new website and for some reason I didn't get any notifications from the posts in July. WTF? now I starts to notify me for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Vehicles
      08-15-2011 09:42 PM #51
      My First Intake manifold Issues came at around 25,000 miles , but didn't get Fixed Until or

Now 60,000 miles .
      ( Connection were - Firg'd Up - by the First Dealer ) , and the second - didn't Perform the TSB

Is this the Part I need for the Fix , can this be done - without removing Manifold ?

Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 08 Wolfy
      08-15-2011 11:14 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by EngTech1 View Post

Now 60,000 miles .

NO, your complete intake manifold is toast. The arm that actuates the flap is worn and is causing a small vacuum leak. Get a new intake manifold for around $275 from the stealership and then get this:

http://blackforestindustries.com/blo...oil-separator/

Enjoy taking off your intake manifold again!

Vehicles
      08-15-2011 11:29 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by 24vEngineer View Post
      NO, your complete intake manifold is toast. The arm that actuates the flap is worn and is causing a small vacuum leak. Get a new intake manifold for around $275 from the stealership and then get this:

http://blackforestindustries.com/blo...oil-separator/

Enjoy taking off your intake manifold again!

Wholly -Poop - This is really BS - there should be a - Giant Recall !

Labor Rate going to be like $575 + Part - I Think I will Be doing the : Liquid Plastic - Maneuver

My Miles are all Thruway - with the Cruise Control On - How the Hell could that
      Wear Out - Anything ?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT-RS
      08-16-2011 12:41 AM #54
      Nothing Is Fixed : and what the F___ is the Subject Matter Attached to Your Response ?

Spark Plugs aren't Going To Cut the Mustard Here !

Glad you go it fixed. I'm sorry I didn't chime in but the email notifications suck since the new website and for some reason I didn't get any notifications from the posts in July. WTF? now I starts to notify me for some reason.
      [/QUOTE]

My reply wasn't to you so quit posting nonsense. The mani has a bad actuator arm. There is a TSB it will be fixed under warranty. deal with and quit posting here. This is a DIY. There are a million posts about this TSB. Take it somewhere else.
      '09 GTI TSI 11.53@121.18
      '12 TT-RS TBD!

Vehicles
      08-16-2011 09:20 AM #55

Labor Rate going to be like $575 + Part - I Think I will Be doing the : Liquid Plastic - Maneuver

Wear Out - Anything ?
      Liquid plastic isn't going to solve anything. P2015 is indicating that the flaps in you're manifold no longer actuate up, and are stuck open. This happens when the arm on the right of your manifold (looking at the engine from the front) is either disconnected from the nipple or has worn to the point where the nipple no longer grasps the runners. The only solution is a new intake manifold. Can be had for $150 plus shipping if you order form www.1stvwparts.com Part number should be in the original post. Dealer will run you about $220-280.
      The job itself is pretty cumbersome and quite annoying but it is possible with a lot of patients and the proper tools. (small hands help as well) This write up will save you a lot of head scratching. remember to pull the oil filter when removing the manifold. Good luck and Gods speed
      And FYI; steelcurtain was just congratulating me not posting in response to your issue. no need to blow up on him! we're all here for the same reason.

Vehicles
      08-16-2011 09:36 AM #56
      Point Being -No One Should have to - Do this DIY - Period !

Wear Out - Anything ?

Seems there are Plenty Of After market Manifolds for Other Tuner Cars and VW
      has always had the lead in Vendor Support !

No Manifolds Offered to get Rid of the Issue All together !

Vehicles
      08-16-2011 10:23 AM #57
      Point Being -No One Should have to - Do this DIY - Period !

Wear Out - Anything ?

Seems there are Plenty Of After market Manifolds for Other Tuner Cars and VW
      has always had the lead in Vendor Support !

No Manifolds Offered to get Rid of the Issue All together !
      I don't think there is a way to 'do away' with the system. fact of the matter is, we're direct injection, carbon build up will first cause the runners to stick, putting more pressure on the nipple on the side of the manifold. eventually the connection to the runner wears smooth and no longer works as desired. We have to many other attachments dependent on our manifold. as you'll notice when/if you tackle the job. FSI does have a manifold that deletes the runners but I don't know how they do away with the CEL. No added benefit in upgrading the manifold as far as gains are concerned. To the above post who referenced a catch can, there functionality has been debated for years now, and ultimately, its found to be unnecessary. (as far as my research has taken me). While the PVC system is filthy and problematic in our cars, its necessary for emissions and better fuel economy. There are images with people who have water/meth injection and Catch Can and their intake ports are still super gummed up after 20k miles.

Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      08-16-2011 12:19 PM #58
      There are images with people who have water/meth injection and Catch Can and their intake ports are still super gummed up after 20k miles.

Vehicles
      08-16-2011 02:04 PM #59
      LOL - Haaa Funny Guys , But what the H____ does Meth have to do with
      Hot Oil Vapors ?

It's the Cooling of these Items that is Dropping them Out of Vapor to be Deposited .

So Why Not Inject these vapors into the ( Ahead of the High Pressure Fuel Stream )

Still Lubes the valves without - Coating the Entire Inside of the Intake with Tar !

Here's an Intake for Ya ! - - Now Look Carefully ans See the Idea !

http://

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      08-16-2011 03:58 PM #60
      LOL - Haaa Funny Guys , But what the H____ does Meth have to do with
      Hot Oil Vapors ?
      The idea was that the water in w/m injection during its flash evaporation stage in the combustion chamber would help steam clean the intake valves.
      As it turns out this hasn't 100% prevented the buildup of carbon deposits on the valves.

Oh and dude, you need to chill the hell out, all cars have flaws, you cant just flip $hit every time a part fails on your car.
      Especially once you start to add aftermarket parts.
      :APR -stage 2 :BSH -Intake,Mounts,RSB,TB Pipe :Whiteline -A.L.K. :Porsche 17Z BBK
      :Devils Own -DVC-30+Direct Port Injection :BC Racing -BR Coilovers :Flik-FTD :OSIR

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      08-16-2011 04:33 PM #61
      Oh and here is something else that should cause a stir with certain individuals.
      I was having a PM discussion with somebody and they mentioned that the stock PCV gases might have a hand in TB failures. This might also pertain to Intake Manifold failures.
      If the PCV gases that are filled with oil vapors and gunk get into the bearings, actuators, and electrical components in the TB and Intake Manifold it could cause premature failure.

Vehicles
      08-16-2011 10:01 PM #62
      Oh and here is something else that should cause a stir with certain individuals.
      I was having a PM discussion with somebody and they mentioned that the stock PCV gases might have a hand in TB failures. This might also pertain to Intake Manifold failures.
      If the PCV gases that are filled with oil vapors and gunk get into the bearings, actuators, and electrical components in the TB and Intake Manifold it could cause premature failure.

OK - My Motor is Still Stock - so the vapors I'm Hoping aren't as Bad ( I Hope ) - I'm
      Going to do an Internal Cleaning of Sorts , I'll also be running My Oil a Little Lower 1/4 cup
      on the stick - might help . Just really Hate having - My Hands Tidied , as in Not much One can Do .

That Catch Can is looking better .
      Maybe I can Just UN-Hook the PVC - Pipe all together , and threw it away ! LOL

Vehicles
      08-17-2011 06:52 PM #63
      Thanks for the heads up

You Might want to Use this :
      Check Out the 30" special Red Tube .
      http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-u...oam-spray.html

Vehicles
      08-17-2011 09:14 PM #64

Vehicles
      08-18-2011 09:42 AM #65
      You Might want to Use this :
      Check Out the 30" special Red Tube .
      http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-u...oam-spray.html
      Yeah, if you look up my created threads, I did a DIY on how to seafoam your car using the caned version. Warning, our cars smoke a lot! I've done it in the past, had cars smoke a decent amount, butThe 2.0T filled my entire driveway after a few revs. Took it out around the block and you couldn't see anything out the back window, it was actually pretty dangerous for those behind me. It was a real smoke screen. I did it twice in one week and the second time was worst than the first. when I pulled my manifold I still had quite a large amount of carbon build up. Next time I have a VAG Comm available I'm going to do it again.
      Quote Originally Posted by VWRedux View Post
      Don't know how I feel about deleting the PVC; If I'm not mistaken the engine relies on the blowby to achieve maximum fuel efficiency. A functional PVC is also required to pass inspection If I'm not mistaken.

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      08-18-2011 11:15 AM #66
      If I'm not mistaken the engine relies on the blowby to achieve maximum fuel efficiency. A functional PVC is also required to pass inspection If I'm not mistaken.
      WUT? Dont see how pumping oil vapors into your motor is going to increase fuel efficiency.

You are correct that the PCV system needs to be intact for inspecation.
      I highly doubt the inspection will go as far to trace a pcv line to determine where it goes.
      Chances are they will pop the hood, realize that the motor has 245724572457 lines running around, check to make sure there arent any noticeable failures, and just close the hood and say all is good.

Vehicles
      08-18-2011 11:22 AM #67
      WUT? Dont see how pumping oil vapors into your motor is going to increase fuel efficiency.

You are correct that the PCV system needs to be intact for inspecation.
      I highly doubt the inspection will go as far to trace a pcv line to determine where it goes.
      Chances are they will pop the hood, realize that the motor has 245724572457 lines running around, check to make sure there arent any noticeable failures, and just close the hood and say all is good.
      crankcase vepors often contain majority unburt fuel oil vaports and other gasses.

Realizing we're direct injection your right its mostly oil vapors

Vehicles
      08-18-2011 09:39 PM #68
      Don't know how I feel about deleting the PVC; If I'm not mistaken the engine relies on the blowby to achieve maximum fuel efficiency. A functional PVC is also required to pass inspection If I'm not mistaken.

Actually that specialized nipple seen in that thread sucks all the crankcase gases out and runs it post catalytic converter.... and I mean it sucks it out real good with just the right amount of vacuum. When inspection time arrives, connecting up the stock OEM PCV system is a snap! I have spoken with many who have indeed done this and they say it works like a charm!

Vehicles
      2012 Mk6 GTI CW, '98 B5 PASSAT (Broken), 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      08-20-2011 12:09 PM #69
      I know this is off-topic but has anyone seen the HEP FSI intake manifold? Looks really good quality and they even have Stage 1,2, & 3. I'm actually wondering if they ever make one for the TSI. Only thing is its a bit pricey but like I said quality is top notch.

---
      - thanks,
      - mao

35. 08-21-2011 10:41 AM #70
      How did you know that you needed to clean your manifold? I don't drive all that often (have less than 10k on my GTI) since I bought my car 18 months ago. I had my first VW service about 1k ago (i dumped and refilled at 3k) and ever since my CEL has come on every few days or so. It's been on and cleared itself at least 5 times now. Is this behavior the kind of thing that prompts a mani/valve cleaning?

If so, wouldn't I make VW do it, since its under warranty?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast