Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 386

    Thread: TSI Intake Manifold Removal DIY + Valve Cleaning

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 26th, 2008
      Location
      Fredericksburg, VA
      Posts
      1,240
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT-RS
      07-13-2011 05:26 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by onevrsix View Post
      Are the injectors attached to the bottom of the manifold?

      have the gasket
      You probably won't even need it if you leave the original in the mani. Good to have as a spare for the job though.
      '09 GTI TSI 11.53@121.18
      '12 TT-RS TBD!

    2. Member 24vEngineer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2007
      Location
      SLOW Cal
      Posts
      1,541
      Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 08 Wolfy
      07-13-2011 05:49 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by steelcurtain View Post
      That's awesome! I think you're the first to respond to actually performing the DIY on all of the forums I have posted on. Glad to hear it went well and thanks for letting me know.

      How did the GM cleaner work for you?

      -patrick

      Used the Gunk heavy duty gel engine cleaner. It worked fine. Scrapped a ton of Shyte off of the splitters in the intake ports. It didn't come out as bright and shinny as yours did, but I probably didn't spend as much time. Finished it off with carburetor cleaner and a good vacuuming.

      Didn't even need a new gasket for the intake manifold. Old one worked fine.

    3. Member onevrsix's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2010
      Location
      Philly Area
      Posts
      3,059
      Vehicles
      2013 CC, 2008 yzf-R1, 01 yzf-600r
      07-13-2011 07:02 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by steelcurtain View Post
      You probably won't even need it if you leave the original in the mani. Good to have as a spare for the job though.
      I'm actually replacing my manifold, turns out it comes with a gasket so I hope the dealer will take it back. I wanna tackle this tomorrow but that damn M10 is holding me up. In step 23 you also mentioned an m6? Are thee two different sized triple squares?

      Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 26th, 2008
      Location
      Fredericksburg, VA
      Posts
      1,240
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT-RS
      07-13-2011 08:00 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by onevrsix View Post
      I'm actually replacing my manifold, turns out it comes with a gasket so I hope the dealer will take it back. I wanna tackle this tomorrow but that damn M10 is holding me up. In step 23 you also mentioned an m6? Are thee two different sized triple squares?

      Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk
      12 points can be a pain like that. Call your local tool delivery trucks like Snap-on, Cromwell, etc. They are hard to find but these guys will have them. They're whoes. It's all about selling tools so they'll sell to you out of the truck. It'll just cost $$ but you might be able to just get a single 10 instead of buying a set. Plus it'll be a quality tool. Or make friends with the mechanics and borrow their ****. That's what I had to do for a M14 for the rear brakes!

      Sorry, the M6 is the size of the bolt. It's a standard bolt For VW's. You'll need a small ??mm 3/8" socket with at least a 6" extension. (sorry forgot the actual size). You'll be going underneath runners with the wrench/extension to the 2 m6 bolts that are underneath the manifold runners. These bolts hold the bottom of the mani to the head. It's a narrow gap between the runners so you need an adequate diameter extension.
      Last edited by steelcurtain; 07-13-2011 at 08:10 PM.
      '09 GTI TSI 11.53@121.18
      '12 TT-RS TBD!

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 26th, 2008
      Location
      Fredericksburg, VA
      Posts
      1,240
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT-RS
      07-13-2011 08:15 PM #30
      BTW - if I had a new mani then I would use the new gasket. IMO, it will seal better than a used gasket since it doesn't have the "form" of the old mani. I could be wrong but I would still use the new one! Haha
      '09 GTI TSI 11.53@121.18
      '12 TT-RS TBD!

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 26th, 2008
      Location
      Fredericksburg, VA
      Posts
      1,240
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT-RS
      07-13-2011 08:17 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by 24vEngineer View Post
      Used the Gunk heavy duty gel engine cleaner. It worked fine. Scrapped a ton of Shyte off of the splitters in the intake ports. It didn't come out as bright and shinny as yours did, but I probably didn't spend as much time. Finished it off with carburetor cleaner and a good vacuuming.

      Didn't even need a new gasket for the intake manifold. Old one worked fine.
      Cool man. Thanks for letting me know how it went.
      '09 GTI TSI 11.53@121.18
      '12 TT-RS TBD!

    7. Member EngTech1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2008
      Location
      Western - Up State NY
      Posts
      1,141
      Vehicles
      CC, V50 - T-Bird , MG , Volvo 122s , Volvo 144 , Volvo 242 GT
      07-13-2011 10:11 PM #32
      Seems Like a Good Fuel Cleaner would have done as good , and really looking at the Pic's

      Hope You Stuffed three layer of Cotton and Rags in there before the Wire Wheel on the end of a Drill , can see the Marks . Just to - Keep out the Debris !

      Done Plenty of Port and Polishing - those are small wire wheel marks - all day long !



      I have done this Method and Cheated to do a Slight Port on Bowl , then Vac , then Air.
      Last edited by EngTech1; 07-13-2011 at 10:15 PM.
      I'll do My Best to Help You: ** Fall Sale is On ! ** -


    8. Member onevrsix's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2010
      Location
      Philly Area
      Posts
      3,059
      Vehicles
      2013 CC, 2008 yzf-R1, 01 yzf-600r
      07-13-2011 10:52 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by steelcurtain View Post
      BTW - if I had a new mani then I would use the new gasket. IMO, it will seal better than a used gasket since it doesn't have the "form" of the old mani. I could be wrong but I would still use the new one! Haha
      Cool; yeah I bought one from the dealership and the manifold came with a new throttle body gasket and mani gasket as well. So now I have two. looking forward to tackling this tomorrow afternoon. so long as I can find that trip square. think I'm going to try and borrow it from a local

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 26th, 2008
      Location
      Fredericksburg, VA
      Posts
      1,240
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT-RS
      07-14-2011 08:28 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by EngTech1 View Post
      Seems Like a Good Fuel Cleaner would have done as good , and really looking at the Pic's

      Hope You Stuffed three layer of Cotton and Rags in there before the Wire Wheel on the end of a Drill , can see the Marks . Just to - Keep out the Debris !

      Done Plenty of Port and Polishing - those are small wire wheel marks - all day long !



      I have done this Method and Cheated to do a Slight Port on Bowl , then Vac , then Air.
      No wire wheel on drill was used. I used wire handheld bottle brushes. That was listed in the DIY.
      '09 GTI TSI 11.53@121.18
      '12 TT-RS TBD!

    10. Member onevrsix's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2010
      Location
      Philly Area
      Posts
      3,059
      Vehicles
      2013 CC, 2008 yzf-R1, 01 yzf-600r
      07-14-2011 10:35 PM #35
      I don't know how you guys did it. All but the two triple squares and the rear left intake mani bolts are taken off. there simply isn't enough clearance for me to get any tool in there to take the rear left TB bolt off. It's driving me crazy I was at the local hardware store buying smaller flex socket wrenches, mini ratchets, and nothing. not to mention I can't see the trip squares yet. the GLI noise pipe is causing/had caused a lot of problems. there is a bracket that supports it that comes off the alternator that blocks the hard pipe from moving, I removed that bracket (by undoing both alternator bolts) and have a little more room to play but that was about 45 mins ago and the lack of light had me calling it quits. very frustrating.
      I'm going to pick up tomorrow after work. everything else came out with ease, and when I can actually see/get to the triple squares I'll tackle them now that I have the right tool.


    11. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 26th, 2008
      Location
      Fredericksburg, VA
      Posts
      1,240
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT-RS
      07-14-2011 11:12 PM #36
      That TB bolt is a bitch. Before I got a flex head wrench I used a t30 bit that had a loop on the end. I would use a very small flat head to insert into the loop to turn the torx bit. It is possible to reach that bolt from underneath the car using a long narrow extension. It's still a PITA but doable. You're just gonna have to get creative. If you've removed the coolant line support bolts, you should be able to push the line bracket to the side to make it easier. GL man. You'll git er done!
      '09 GTI TSI 11.53@121.18
      '12 TT-RS TBD!

    12. Member onevrsix's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2010
      Location
      Philly Area
      Posts
      3,059
      Vehicles
      2013 CC, 2008 yzf-R1, 01 yzf-600r
      07-15-2011 08:36 AM #37
      I really hope so because I was very close to snapping that bolt off since I'm replacing the mani anyway...I just didn't want to damage the TB. my knuckles and fingers are all sorts of scratched up thanks to that back left TB screw. Why they thought hardline coolant hoses were/are necessary is beyond me. going to pick up four injector rebuild kits just in case since it seems I may accidentally go beast mode on this thing and whip out the dremell & sawzaw tag team

      picked up a stubby pivoting ratchet and a socket style T30, hopefully that will give me better access.
      Last edited by onevrsix; 07-15-2011 at 02:24 PM.

    13. Member EngTech1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2008
      Location
      Western - Up State NY
      Posts
      1,141
      Vehicles
      CC, V50 - T-Bird , MG , Volvo 122s , Volvo 144 , Volvo 242 GT
      07-15-2011 09:07 PM #38
      Most Likely - Time & Heat - thing - in regards to Hard Piping :

      Then - the Entire thing won't work - because of a very little Fitting on the End of a Wire :



      Removing the Seal :
      Last edited by EngTech1; 07-15-2011 at 09:11 PM.
      I'll do My Best to Help You: ** Fall Sale is On ! ** -


    14. Member onevrsix's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2010
      Location
      Philly Area
      Posts
      3,059
      Vehicles
      2013 CC, 2008 yzf-R1, 01 yzf-600r
      07-15-2011 10:57 PM #39
      when I pulled the manifold out Two injectors came with it. I put everthing back together and now I've got a serious missfire and EPC light on.
      I'm thinking it has something to do with the injectors because the little white washers sit between the fuel injectors and the engine came out when pulled. My buddy pulls out the rebuild kit and tells me there was a revision and this goes in place of the white piece.


      Now I'm afraid that this piece that I installed on the two injector was wrong and is causing some kind of failure. I think i'm going to take it apart tomorrow morning to try and see where I went wrong. this is going to be miserable

    15. Member Bullitt_TDI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 12th, 2006
      Location
      Oberaurach DE
      Posts
      1,991
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      07-16-2011 12:30 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by onevrsix View Post
      when I pulled the manifold out Two injectors came with it. I put everthing back together and now I've got a serious missfire and EPC light on.
      I'm thinking it has something to do with the injectors because the little white washers sit between the fuel injectors and the engine came out when pulled. My buddy pulls out the rebuild kit and tells me there was a revision and this goes in place of the white piece.


      Now I'm afraid that this piece that I installed on the two injector was wrong and is causing some kind of failure. I think i'm going to take it apart tomorrow morning to try and see where I went wrong. this is going to be miserable

      I wonder if the washers are one time use. I know this is the case with tdi injectors. reusing the washers,will not allow proper sitting and optimum spray pattern.

    16. Member onevrsix's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2010
      Location
      Philly Area
      Posts
      3,059
      Vehicles
      2013 CC, 2008 yzf-R1, 01 yzf-600r
      07-16-2011 01:04 PM #41
      Actually right before I went to sleep last night I remembered I forgot to plug in an injector. So epc is off but I still have the same studders whenever boost exceeds 12 psi. Im going to get vcds this afternoon so we'll see what codes im throwing. Plus I have to clear my old codes.

      Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

    17. Member Aguilar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 28th, 2006
      Location
      El Paso, TX
      Posts
      3,804
      Vehicles
      02 Z06, 13 GTI
      07-16-2011 04:36 PM #42
      Thanks for the DIY.

      Most likely will end up doing this myself.

    18. Member onevrsix's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2010
      Location
      Philly Area
      Posts
      3,059
      Vehicles
      2013 CC, 2008 yzf-R1, 01 yzf-600r
      07-18-2011 09:00 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by onevrsix View Post
      Actually right before I went to sleep last night I remembered I forgot to plug in an injector. So epc is off but I still have the same studers whenever boost exceeds 12 psi. Im going to get vcds this afternoon so we'll see what codes im throwing. Plus I have to clear my old codes.

      Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk
      Resolved the issue yesterday, it was my spark plugs. Car runs like a raped ape! absolutely astounding. First time I've been able to actually feel/enjoy my stage two tune.
      Many thanks for the DIY, before this I was blowing out the nipple that is attached to the pressure actuated arm, and upon removal of the manifold I noticed that the flaps just didn't work.
      My fingers are still healing and despite starting with gloves they were torn and tattered beyond usefulness by the end, which resulted in an excessive amount of engine grime cracked under my fingernails oh the joy's of owning a VW; rear brakes and oil change on deck for next weekend.

    19. Member ViRtUaLheretic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 16th, 2008
      Location
      Kansas City
      Posts
      3,170
      Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      07-18-2011 10:29 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt_TDI View Post
      I wonder if the washers are one time use. I know this is the case with tdi injectors. reusing the washers,will not allow proper sitting and optimum spray pattern.
      Yeah the washers are one time use.
      I already ordered 4 injector sealers from ECS tuning in prep for this install.


      Quote Originally Posted by onevrsix View Post
      rear brakes and oil change on deck for next weekend.
      Get ready fro some more fun, getting to the triple square bolts in order to remove the rear calipers is a PITA.
      Front brakes are easy as pie to swap out though.
      :APR -stage 2 :BSH -Intake,Mounts,RSB,TB Pipe :Whiteline -A.L.K. :Porsche 17Z BBK
      :Devils Own -DVC-30+Direct Port Injection :BC Racing -BR Coilovers :Flik-FTD :OSIR
      :Eurojet -Ceramic Coated TBE :DEFI :Unibrace :Tyrolsport :Bildon :Hawk :034
      TSI FAQ: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4042736

    20. Member onevrsix's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2010
      Location
      Philly Area
      Posts
      3,059
      Vehicles
      2013 CC, 2008 yzf-R1, 01 yzf-600r
      07-18-2011 11:19 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by ViRtUaLheretic View Post


      Get ready fro some more fun, getting to the triple square bolts in order to remove the rear calipers is a PITA.
      Front brakes are easy as pie to swap out though.
      Thanks for the heads up

    21. Member cldub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2010
      Location
      Stafford VA
      Posts
      2,308
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T (sold)
      08-06-2011 10:55 AM #46
      Damn man I didn't realize you were in F'Burg. I've been seriously looking into this project, I'm just hoping a lot of it is the same on my FSI. Maybe once I decide to do it you could come give me a hand? I'll buy beer

    22. Member VWRedux's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 3rd, 2009
      Location
      Potomac Maryland
      Posts
      3,813
      Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      08-15-2011 08:48 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by JRMGTI View Post
      Excellent write-up. Lucky for me just got the new manifold and valve cleaning done under warranty.
      What? Warranty doesn't cover this, because if they did, Audi and VW dudes would be all over it like syrup on pancakes! SEEKING RESPONSE!
      "There's nothing like a well tuned car on an open road". Paul Newman
      *The New 2011 VW Jetta... At Least You Pay Less To Get Less!*

    23. Member EngTech1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2008
      Location
      Western - Up State NY
      Posts
      1,141
      Vehicles
      CC, V50 - T-Bird , MG , Volvo 122s , Volvo 144 , Volvo 242 GT
      08-15-2011 09:10 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by JRMGTI View Post
      Excellent write-up. Lucky for me just got the new manifold and valve cleaning done under warranty.
      My First Intake manifold Issues came at around 25,000 miles , but didn't get Fixed Until or
      Shell We say Figured Out - Till I went to a Different VW Dealer & Bitched !

      34,000 miles Fixed , Now It's got 54,000 Happening all over again !

      Tried the TSB on the Wiring Seems to have Helped but only - Lasted 3 weeks .
      How Long are Repairs Warrantied ?
      54,000 - plus a month of long distance Driving .
      Now 60,000 miles .
      ( Connection were - Firg'd Up - by the First Dealer ) , and the second - didn't Perform the TSB
      When the First Manifold was Done !

      Out of Pocket on the TSB - Wiring .


      Now comes the P2015 Code - WTF - this is a PITA !

      Is this the Part I need for the Fix , can this be done - without removing Manifold ?


      http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...take/ES281203/
      I'll do My Best to Help You: ** Fall Sale is On ! ** -


    24. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 26th, 2008
      Location
      Fredericksburg, VA
      Posts
      1,240
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT-RS
      08-15-2011 09:25 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by onevrsix View Post
      Resolved the issue yesterday, it was my spark plugs. Car runs like a raped ape! absolutely astounding. First time I've been able to actually feel/enjoy my stage two tune.
      Many thanks for the DIY, before this I was blowing out the nipple that is attached to the pressure actuated arm, and upon removal of the manifold I noticed that the flaps just didn't work.
      My fingers are still healing and despite starting with gloves they were torn and tattered beyond usefulness by the end, which resulted in an excessive amount of engine grime cracked under my fingernails oh the joy's of owning a VW; rear brakes and oil change on deck for next weekend.
      Glad you go it fixed. I'm sorry I didn't chime in but the email notifications suck since the new website and for some reason I didn't get any notifications from the posts in July. WTF? now I starts to notify me for some reason.
      '09 GTI TSI 11.53@121.18
      '12 TT-RS TBD!

    25. Member EngTech1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2008
      Location
      Western - Up State NY
      Posts
      1,141
      Vehicles
      CC, V50 - T-Bird , MG , Volvo 122s , Volvo 144 , Volvo 242 GT
      08-15-2011 09:40 PM #50
      Nothing Is Fixed : and what the F___ is the Subject Matter Attached to Your Response ?

      Spark Plugs aren't Going To Cut the Mustard Here !


      Glad you go it fixed. I'm sorry I didn't chime in but the email notifications suck since the new website and for some reason I didn't get any notifications from the posts in July. WTF? now I starts to notify me for some reason.[/QUOTE]
      I'll do My Best to Help You: ** Fall Sale is On ! ** -


    Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •