Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Chevrolet Optra in USA?

1. 07-06-2011 02:52 PM #1
      Today I saw what looked like a Suzuki Reno (Daewoo based) hatchback, and it was even the same metallic orange color that was popular on the Reno, except when I got closer I saw the gold bowtie logo, and it was badged as a Chevrolet Optra. It had NJ plates. I'm guessing it was a Canadian import? Once in a blue moon I see the Canadian Acura version of the Civic down here, but a rebadged Daewoo is not exactly the kind of car I'd be planning to take with me on a major move from Canada to the USA. But once it's here and properly titled, could it be insured and resold just like any normal U.S.-market car?

it's = it is
      its = possessive of "it"

Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      07-06-2011 02:54 PM #2
      Did they have the Optra in Mexico?
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      07-06-2011 03:08 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      Once in a blue moon I see the Canadian Acura version of the Civic down here, but a rebadged Daewoo is not exactly the kind of car I'd be planning to take with me on a major move from Canada to the USA. But once it's here and properly titled, could it be insured and resold just like any normal U.S.-market car?
      Market similarities mean very few cars sold new in Canada are not able to be imported to the US, and vice versa. All Canadian bumpers are US compliant (the reverse used to not be true). The biggest sticking points would be emissions. Canada has had some engines that were not approved or no longer approved for the US, and things like the Mk1 Smart CDI with its own diesel can of worms.

As far as taking it with you on a major move... most Canadians who actually bought a Chevy Optra (or Epica) probably don't know or care that their car is actually born in Korea and not even sold in the US. They were cheap appliances sold through a large dealer network, plain and simple.

07-06-2011 03:08 PM #4
      What's most likely answer?

1. Someone got a letter from Suzuki stating Canadian Chevy Optra5 conforms with DOT requirement.

2. Someone with a Suzuki Reno in New Jersey purchased a set of Chevy Optra5 badges from eBay.

Reminds me of the thread in TCL a few years ago when someone spotted a Holden Viva in New Jersey... Probably the same guy

5. 07-06-2011 03:57 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      2. Someone with a Suzuki Reno in New Jersey purchased a set of Chevy Optra5 badges from eBay.
      The Optra's grille and taillights are different than the Reno. But for service in the U.S., I'm assuming you'd take it to a Suzuki dealer? (There is actually one around here, and I think they may even still have a few unsold Renos rotting away in their back lot...)

it's = it is
      its = possessive of "it"

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      07-06-2011 04:43 PM #6
      The Optra is in the US for rental fleets only -- not sold to the public.
      :gift: