Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you like your E-reader

Vehicles
      Sportage
      01-27-2012 07:09 PM #36
      Had a Nook, then upgraded to the Nook Color. Girlfriend has a Nook, and it's hard to pry her off it.

I enjoy my NC because of the ability to get magazines on it as well, in color. It's a great multi-use tool, from reading books, mags, playing a few games, web browsing, watching movies (kinda meh), or music.

I keep putting off purchasing a MicroSD card, but that'd really improve the capability of it. Battery life is pretty good- about a week or so on consistent use (1-2hrs/day) and low-to-moderate wifi use.

It is frustrating that publishers/authors are dragging their feet on moving to e-format. I'd really like to buy Jurassic Park (for the 3rd time) on my NC.

I just kinda realized that it's also better psychologically, becaus a big thick book isn't daunting on the e-reader. I'm almost 1/3rd of the way through the Game of Thrones 4-book set.
      Colonel Leopold Wraithwood //// twitter: mbull //// blog //// "Marcel Bruwn" - Travoltified
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.

2. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      02-08-2012 05:37 PM #37

While I read primarily on the iPad. The best e-ink B/W ereader imo is the iRiver Story HD. An unknown brand and one that Amazon refuses to sell directly as it stacks up better in some key areas than the Kindle.

I bought it because my wife can't stand reading on the iPad.

The key specs it has over the Kindle is that it runs on Android and has a more powerful processor and higher resolution screen.

It runs at 800mhz and it is an ARM Cortex A8 processor similar to the iPhone 4. It is hands down quicker than any B/W Kindles at page transitions or page flips.

The 6" screen is 1024x768 also the highest resolution at this size in the business. Sharpest e-ink display.

The reason I got it for my wife because it supports more formats than Kindle does. It handles PDF files nicely, supports reflow and does not need conversion.

It also can read zip, CBR, CBZ formats which is huge for people who are into reading comic books, manga, and scanned jpg zipped up.

I didn't want to get the Kindle because it forces you to go to Amazon or read their own format requiring conversions.

The iRiver is tailored for Google books but you can just pop in a SD card full of books or magazines without being locked into these online stores.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      03 Jetta TDI
      02-16-2012 12:37 PM #38
      Got a good deal on a Nook simple touch before the holidays and so far, it's the best investment I've made as far as entertainment goes for me.

I had an iPad 2, it was great for magazines but the glare is horrible on it - what they say about e-ink is really true, it's actually a joy to read. The form factor is great. I watched plenty of YouTube videos comparing it to the $79 ad-supported Kindle and the final selling point for me was the better physical design of the product and the ability to add up to a 32GB microSD card as the Nook only allows 240mb of "your" items to be stored.

With that said,I agree Amazon probably has a wider selection, but I "acquire" my books, hence the need for more than 240mb of storage space.
      MikePanic.com Photography Portfolio
      Crispy Hundos Collection of Fun

GO! Tattoo Removal Eastern PA laser tattoo removal & lightening

4. 02-21-2012 03:37 AM #39
      I thoroughly enjoy my Kindle. I don't expect it to be a laptop, just a good quality reading device. I do knock out some wicked crosswords on it, but "computing" power etc. doesn't matter to me. It was very cheap, holds a lot of books, and makes reading a blast (especially on trips/airplanes etc.)

5. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 GTI and '03 Passat Wagon
      03-11-2012 11:22 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      I really want one of these, but I dream of having a massive library of all my books when I'm older. As an english major, I even saved most of my books from school since they were all literature books versus normal course work.

I just like having books, and I fear the Kindle will sort of kill that. I mean, I know books will never "go away", but I can see it doing to books what the digital camera did to photos. My father has tons of photos from way back, because they were all stored in boxes or the negatives still exist. I can't even begin to guess the ammount of photos I pretend to have because they are online or on my computer, but will eventually be lost due to the fact that they aren't physical.
      I swear I could have created this thread - and I totally agree with the above statement. I just love books, and like the gratification of seeing the progress I'm making as I'm reading, turning the pages, watching the page numbers go up, etc.

However -After doing some cross country traveling, I'm realizing what the benefit of having an e-reader would have been...less weight to lug around on an airplane or in my luggage! I don't travel often though and I'm a stay at home mom, so it's not like I can't handle reading a regular book in bed or around the house. It would just be really nice during times when I'm out of the house and don't want to lug around books in my diaper bag. Hmmm.

Maybe for Christmas this year?

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      03-12-2012 05:01 PM #41
      I just ordered a Nook Simple Touch. I always loved my original Nook, but gave it away when I got the iPad. The only bummer was going to be on summer vacations not being able to read on the beach. But yesterday was reading on the patio, and even undercover, there was a lot of glare on the iPad. I read outside a lot in the summer, so figured it'd be worth the $99.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

7. 03-21-2012 01:09 PM #42
      I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have an iPad2 and I love it as an e-reader. My entire life, I've mostly read at night before bed. Being able to just turn off all the lights and jump into bed and read is great. Just being enveloped by the pitch-blackness of my room lets me focus in completely on the book. Also, I'm sure other e-readers do this, but there's a nifty "night mode" that blacks out the screen and the words appear in a dark bluish color. Very easy on the eyes.

When I'm done reading for the night I simply turn it off and fall right to sleep. No more getting up to turn lights off = win.

Vehicles
      03-29-2012 11:14 PM #43
      My extensive library.

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      05-06-2012 09:54 PM #44
      I've been reading a lot lately and decided to finally try out an e-reader as I'm sick of accumulating shelves of books I don't have room for.

I ordered a kindle touch today. looking forward to trying it out.
      vwot.org

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught.
      In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity. - Hunter S Thompson

Vehicles
      92 VR-T syncro GTI, 2011 husaberg FS570, 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
      06-21-2012 12:26 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by The Red Baron View Post
      I've been reading a lot lately and decided to finally try out an e-reader as I'm sick of accumulating shelves of books I don't have room for.

I ordered a kindle touch today. looking forward to trying it out.
      I gifted a Kindle basic to a friend two weeks ago, she's read 3 books since then (more than she's read in the previous year). she absolutely loves it, and thanks me for it every time i see her. lol

still love my Kindle keyboard 3g

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      06-21-2012 07:08 AM #46
      to update, I got my kindle touch in early May and am on book 3. generally I am loving it but still adjusting to it.
      vwot.org

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught.
      In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity. - Hunter S Thompson

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 VW Passat 2.5 SE,
      06-24-2012 09:49 PM #47
      ^^^^^^^^....... WTF
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

Vehicles
      06-25-2012 11:20 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      ^^^^^^^^....... WTF
      Spam. We get a lot of it in this forum. There must not be any mods in this area, because I report it over and over, and they never seem to get rid of it.

Vehicles
      86'GTI sold, 07'GTI sold, 07 Subaru Forrester LLB
      06-26-2012 12:59 PM #49
      I have the sony e-reader and have read in the last 6 months probably 100 books.

Deathlands 1-67, survivalist series (not all ebook though) and many more...prefer the Sony for ease of operation and loading books (epubs, pdf's mostly).

John
      I don't need no stinking signature!

Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal, Ferrari. But seriously, Ferrari.
      07-06-2012 08:57 AM #50
      I stopped using my Sony Ereader, it is a first gen model and is just too slow. I now use my iPad with iBook.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

16. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 GTI and '03 Passat Wagon
      07-17-2012 12:19 PM #51
      I forgot to update. I got a Nook with Glow Light in June! We are in transition right now (trying to buy a house and staying with friends/family), so having the built in light has really helped me read at night without having lights on and waking up my husband or daughter.

I've also found that I'm reading way more, faster, and more often since it's so easy to have a book on my person at all times.

I bought the Nook with Glow Light because I ONLY wanted a basic e-reader. I already have a tablet and two laptops, plus a smart phone, so I really had no desire to have internet on yet another electronic device...and so far, I'm really happy with that decision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12