Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Official Top Gear US Season 2 Thread: Starts July 24th.

09-05-2011 06:59 PM #456
      Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain EX View Post
      Hey TwoLitreVW he said Emm Kay One again (GTI example). Expert. I only made the Cabby mistake once...
      You did it again.

2. 09-05-2011 07:09 PM #457
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      You did it again.
      No I didn't...I was saying the mistake I made was only once.

PS Go Away. You are not Pat Morita. He was a great guy.
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

3. Former Advertiser Brandon@SoCalStanceShop's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SEL, 2012 Fiat 500 Sport
      09-05-2011 07:25 PM #458
      I'm officially almost positive that The Stig is Tanner. I can't imagine a scenario that Ford would allow someone else to take the car out, on camera, and drive so hard... Oh, and also can't imagine someone else being nearly as comfortable as Tanner is in the seat.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      09-05-2011 07:38 PM #459
      Quote Originally Posted by Brandon@SoCalStanceShop View Post
      I'm officially almost positive that The Stig is Tanner. I can't imagine a scenario that Ford would allow someone else to take the car out, on camera, and drive so hard... Oh, and also can't imagine someone else being nearly as comfortable as Tanner is in the seat.
      I ran the video back a couple of times with Tanner and Stig driving the Fiesta rally car. Stig seems to be about the same physical size as Tanner. The hand grip also looks similar. I wouldn't be surprised is they are the same person. I can tell you Stig is definitely not Rutledge -- he doesn't wear plaid.
      :gift:

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      09-05-2011 07:43 PM #460
      I'm pretty convinced he is as well. The "Stig" really handled that GRC car with what seemed to be experience.

09-05-2011 08:13 PM #461
      Maybe its Ben Collins? :O

7. Member
      09-05-2011 08:39 PM #462
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      I ran the video back a couple of times with Tanner and Stig driving the Fiesta rally car. Stig seems to be about the same physical size as Tanner. The hand grip also looks similar. I wouldn't be surprised is they are the same person. I can tell you Stig is definitely not Rutledge -- he doesn't wear plaid.
      As soon as they put this on the track I had a feeling it was Tanner. That thing was fast.

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      09-05-2011 09:12 PM #463
      Why cant it have been him just that one time? Remember when Schumacher took the Stigs place to drive the FXX?

Vehicles
      '88 300te, '14 XV Crosstrek
      09-05-2011 09:17 PM #464
      I didn't really follow the whole Ben Collins thing, but did he say he was the stig from day 1? I always suspected they just switched around, maybe certain manufacturers (cough Ferrari cough) want their own drivers in the seat, etc...I mean with the **** manufacturers pull with providing "hot" press cars, etc, how perfect/easy would it be to just swap drivers? Maybe even the reason his identity was designed as unknown in the first place...

Wouldn't be surprised if TGUSA does the same thing, with Tanner in the Fiesta

/conspiracy theory
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      How did you find the internet?
      Instagram

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      09-05-2011 10:55 PM #465
      Tanner is my #1 guy on the show. He actually knows what he's doing and is loosening up for the camera more and more with each passing episode.

His reviews on cars are a lot more valid with me than something from the UK Top Gear.

Vehicles
      2002 Mazda protege5, 2010 Golf
      09-05-2011 11:02 PM #466
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      Tanner is my #1 guy on the show. He actually knows what he's doing and is loosening up for the camera more and more with each passing episode.

His reviews on cars are a lot more valid with me than something from the UK Top Gear.
      I agree, although his constant drifting gets a little old but he showed that he could drive properly fast when need be.

Adam is the one that absolutely has to go for me to keep enjoying the show. Rutledge doesn't entertain me all that much but I would rather him stay than Adam.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      09-05-2011 11:14 PM #467
      Quote Originally Posted by Kylen721 View Post
      I agree, although his constant drifting gets a little old but he showed that he could drive properly fast when need be.

Adam is the one that absolutely has to go for me to keep enjoying the show. Rutledge doesn't entertain me all that much but I would rather him stay than Adam.
      I think I'm the only one who finds Rutledge hilarious.

"What does TCF stand for?" - Tanner
      "Totally Cool Stuff" - Rutledge

Adam is the weakest link but I can tolerate him. They seem to have started to nestle in their own way and getting a new host this late might mess the dynamic up.

13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-05-2011 11:35 PM #468
      I missed the very beginning of the show- but did they actually say that was Gran Turismo 5 they were playing? Just curious.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      09-05-2011 11:48 PM #469
      Adam is worthless, unless you tune in to learn about rusting 70's land yachts.
      Rutledge I tolerate. It would be nice if he stopped cheating on challenges -- is he really that bad?
      Tanner is good.

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      09-05-2011 11:51 PM #470
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I missed the very beginning of the show- but did they actually say that was Gran Turismo 5 they were playing? Just curious.
      Forza 4.
      Esi ϟ Disi

16. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-06-2011 12:08 AM #471
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      Forza 4.
      Really?
      Damn... I thought the colored arrows was a GT thing.
      But I haven't played GT5 in a while.. so I may be wrong.

EDIT- just booted it up (and downloaded latest versions.. yawn..)
      And yes- GT5 uses the dashes for driver line.
      And I don't think it has auto brakes as an option.
      Auto brakes?

Last edited by BRealistic; 09-06-2011 at 12:49 AM.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

17. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      09-06-2011 04:13 AM #472
      yeah, it's forza 4. turn10 debuted the sonoma track for forza 4 earlier last week too. easy mode in forza 3 was ridiculously easy, so i'm sure they just carried it over.

to me, this episode seemed like one of those episodes sitcoms do to reminisce and show bloopers; aka fluff.

oh well, still a much better season than season one, and it continues to get better each episode. even my feelings towards the hosts has increased this season. during the summer when nothing much is on, they are definitely tolerable for 45 minutes a week.
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-line, 2012 GLI Autobahn
      09-06-2011 06:31 AM #473
      Tonights episode was much better than most have been all season.
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, Apr Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- BSH Race Intake,R8 coilpacks, Cree LED DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap, GIAC Stage 2 coming soon!!

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 VW Golf 1.3
      09-06-2011 08:46 AM #474
      Love the last episode. and yes, Tanner is definitely the Stig!

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      09-06-2011 08:48 AM #475
      I thought the "Stig" looked like he barely fit in Tanner's Fiesta I'm not seeing the similarity.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      G60 Corrado, MKV GLI
      09-06-2011 12:55 PM #476
      I still maintain that it's Paul Tracy... they are the same height, he's in the area, SoCal / Vegas, he can drive and he's not doing a whole lot these days.....plus he and Tanner did that Supercar Challenge show on Speed together.

...and journalists have driven things you wouldn't think they'd be allowed to touch before, F1 cars, Moto GP bikes you name it. Not too shocked they let the Stig drive the Fiesta, besides, what's he going to do to it on that track? Go off in the grass....I'm sure it's seen worse.

09-06-2011 01:49 PM #477
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Most race car drivers are about the same size: midget plus

They are like jockeys... short, skinny, and weight 110 lbs for obvious reasons. I'm not convinced Stig and Tanner are the same person in every episode, but it is likely that they were the same in this episode. Just because of the fact that Stig is clearly very familiar with Tanner's Fiesta and Ford probably would not have allowed anyone besides Tanner to drive it on the track.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      09-06-2011 02:37 PM #478
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Most race car drivers are about the same size: midget plus

They are like jockeys... short, skinny, and weight 110 lbs for obvious reasons. I'm not convinced Stig and Tanner are the same person in every episode, but it is likely that they were the same in this episode. Just because of the fact that Stig is clearly very familiar with Tanner's Fiesta and Ford probably would not have allowed anyone besides Tanner to drive it on the track.
      Don't attempt to apply logic here.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      09-06-2011 03:17 PM #479
      His Rallycross Fiesta is not really that American I think....pretty sure its built in Sweden...

http://www.worldrallysport.com/node/6955

25. Former Advertiser Brandon@SoCalStanceShop's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SEL, 2012 Fiat 500 Sport
      09-06-2011 09:31 PM #480
      Quote Originally Posted by Me via Facebook
      Car Lounge is ON FIRE with "how dare he call it an Em-Kay one" LOL
      - With reserved admiration, Salmon Shirt Guy ♥
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge Wood
      Haha. Remind them that no one else knows...and I've had two,and don't care maybe that's why other people think dubbers are elitists? Cause sometimes they go bananas tell them I'm sorry...but I'm probably going to keep saying it like that cause that's what I've always done...em Kay! Haha thanks man!
      You're welcome, TCL.

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      09-08-2011 12:05 PM #481
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I wonder how Adam is going to destroy his old tough Ford this time?
      Just watched this espisode last night, since the Hurricane Irene took the original airing away from me.

I'm disappointed that Adam didn't make a "Crowned Victorious" reference after he won. He's the comedian, right?
      Custom avatars available - ask me how

Vehicles
      2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
      09-08-2011 12:13 PM #482
      Haha. Remind them that no one else knows...and I've had two,and don't care maybe that's why other people think dubbers are elitists? Cause sometimes they go bananas tell them I'm sorry...but I'm probably going to keep saying it like that cause that's what I've always done...em Kay! Haha thanks man!
      Haha, I got used to saying it em kay, also. I don't see the big deal. It just sticks from always reading it MK before even knowing what it meant, my mind wants to spell it out instead of saying "mark".

28. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW 328i
      09-08-2011 01:59 PM #483
      Yeah, the show started out just ok, but now it's genuinely entertaining. And I mean even when compared to Top Gear UK.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      09-08-2011 02:39 PM #484
      Quote Originally Posted by RaDeN View Post
      Haha, I got used to saying it em kay, also. I don't see the big deal. It just sticks from always reading it MK before even knowing what it meant, my mind wants to spell it out instead of saying "mark".
      i can understand people being annoyed by it, because logically, MK is short for "Mark" and if you are using MK for brevity's sake it is shorter to say "Mark" than it is to say "EMMM KAYYY". But it isn't worth ranting and calling for heads to roll

It's very similar to Porsche, the correct annunciation as i understand it is "Poor-sha" but 99% of Americans say "Poorsh"
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      '88 300te, '14 XV Crosstrek
      09-08-2011 02:46 PM #485
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      His Rallycross Fiesta is not really that American I think....pretty sure its built in Sweden...

http://www.worldrallysport.com/node/6955
      True, but this is how every car works these days. The automotive industry has been global for a while, and the whole "buy American (cars built in Canada/Mexico)" or "screw Japanese/German (cars built in the USA)" used to irk me because that's not really the point. On TGUSA at least, I took it as just a bit of convenient pandering to the demographics, and wasn't done with any sincerity or presented anything beyond that Ford, though an extremely large & global entity, is widely recognized as an American company, at least within the USA. No real agenda attached, no harm done. If anything, those interested in the car will be exposed to a more international picture of Ford's racing endeavors.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      How did you find the internet?
      Instagram

Vehicles
      '10 GTI, '07 Camry XLE V-6
      09-08-2011 02:51 PM #486
      After reading this...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-the-panamera/

...and this...

http://www.ajr.org/Article.asp?id=5141

...I've gained a new appreciation for even the US Top Gear, but the UK Top Gear even more-so. It's a shame that auto journalism is so unreliable. I guess I should just stick to TTAC and Edmunds, and never purchase any brand new Porsche product.

09-08-2011 02:53 PM #487

You're welcome, TCL.
      That's awesome! I am liking Rutledge more and more, great car selections with the Caddy, Fiesta, etc. Tanner is great. Adam is still searching for his role, he seems to be the least knowledgeable, I hope he doesn't just become 70's detroit guy.

I'm waiting for any of the presenters to start bashing a car in their reviews. Perhaps they are too time-constrained to really get into it, but I agree with the earlier posts, the actual car reviews are "meh". E.g. If the LFA is a good car tell us why, with specifics. I don't think TopGearUS will ever give a car a bad review.
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i'd lock this thread but i have no clue how...

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      09-08-2011 02:56 PM #488
      You're welcome, TCL.
      I'm not on Facebook so can you tell him that Vad demands that he join TCL and remind him that he promised me, damn it!
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

34. Member
      09-14-2011 12:38 AM #489
      It still isn't on final gear as of this morning :|

On the up side, Top Gear Australia has been canned forever becasue it was so terrible.
      2010 Tiguan APR Stg2/6MT/Biscay Blue
      Build thread: http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f97/...tig-45083.html

09-14-2011 01:13 AM #490
      Last episode I saw I loved. It was the taxi cab one.

Rut started out my 2nd favorite, with Tanner in 1st, and that NY guy in 3rd.

Now they are all about even, and on the "good" side of the meter in my eyes.

Really happy to see how much this show has progressed this season.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast