Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: VW diesel motorcycle

1. 07-10-2011 02:33 AM #1
      So ive decided my next project will be an all VW diesel motorcycle. ive done a little research and know that diesel motorcycles are in fact out there so my next step is to flesh out the idea with actual specs from engines to i can start to size a frame for it. I dont know alot about VWs ive loved the, since i was a kid but never really been into cars much. Currently i Am Attending a college for automobile tech. Was wondering if any of you had any ideas thoughts on what engines might be a good candidate to look at

2. 07-10-2011 11:16 AM #2
      Good Luck with that....i'd love to see pics of that when its all done and complete

Vehicles
      1985 Volkswagen Scirocco, 1997 Jetta glx(R.I.P.) 2000 Jetta
      07-10-2011 12:47 PM #3
      http://v8bikes.com/

if they can do it with a v8 you can do it with a vw diesel. id say find newer tdi. that would be sweet.

4. 07-13-2011 03:55 AM #4
      well i am looking to build a cruiser style and i want it to be able to have a side car. thanks for the input i hadnt thought alot about auxiliary stuff def something i will look into. but if it gets to be to heavy i can always just make it a trike, not what i want but it just means it will have a permanent side car. and with a decent design it will still look kewl. i know a guy i might be able tot get a engine from out of a 72 or 82 rabbit i dont remember the year. anyone know anything about motorcycle transmissions and how they are diff from car transmissions?

5. 07-13-2011 03:58 AM #5
      well i do want to use a newer tdi diesel but im thinking about cost, and seeing as this would be my first custom build i want to start with an older engine to try the idea out first to test feasibility then if it works and i like the results i will get a new or almost new engine and put alot more work into custom body parts and all the little details

6. Member
      Vehicles
      04 T5M, 06 3.6, 08 600RR
      07-13-2011 08:28 AM #6
      This definitely has the potential to be a cool bike.

Vehicles
      2005.5 Jetta TDI MD Plate "G0T TDI"
      07-13-2011 09:23 AM #7
      As a rider I would suggest trying to buy a bike with a blown engine or something wrong with the engine... then you have most of what you need already...

I sold my last bike that had electrical problems to a guy that wanted to make an electric bike... he ripped out the engine and replaced it with an electric motor... last I checked on the project he was having a hard time incorporating a charging element into the bike for the batteries.
      Keep an eye out for me on the roads in the Baltimore/DC Metro... Look for MD plate "G0T TDI" Honk if you see me!

Follow me on twitter... Stalk me on InstaGram... @iamdashsr

8. Member
      Vehicles
      04 T5M, 06 3.6, 08 600RR
      07-13-2011 09:42 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by IamDashSr View Post
      I sold my last bike that had electrical problems to a guy that wanted to make an electric bike... he ripped out the engine and replaced it with an electric motor... last I checked on the project he was having a hard time incorporating a charging element into the bike for the batteries.
      hmm, that would be sweet if that could work too. I know a guy who was contemplating the idea, but never moved forward with an electric bike. I love these ideas!!

9. 07-13-2011 04:46 PM #9
      i thought about gutting one but then i would have to try and find one that the engine would fit in. i also want to get experience building a frame. i also wanted to make the bike as much out of VW parts as possible, include reclaimed frame and body panels.

Vehicles
      Tow truck
      07-14-2011 09:30 AM #10
      interesting...
      Quote Originally Posted by pentaxshooter View Post
      Ant's car doesn't actually move. He just drives a rollback as a daily. A GTI happens to reside on it.
      Maintenance is paramount.
      Corn Status l Gonzo l Eurokraft Performance
      FS: Turbosmart MBC Beetle Headrests Motor Mount Spacers

Toledo/Chagrin Falls, OH and Shinshiro City, Aichi, Japan
      Vehicles
      1991 Honda Today 軽カー, 198? Honda Dio SP
      08-15-2011 08:24 PM #11
      Maybe this'll help you get started:

You're welcome.

12. 08-16-2011 02:57 AM #12
      thats sweet, can you tell me about the bike? ie what engine, what trany, how you mounted parts? did you custom fab the frame? is it the original radiator or did you use a smaller one?

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      08-16-2011 08:43 AM #13
      This is probably where they found it: http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=29725.0

No more info really, unfortunately

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Doris 04 tdi, boris 79, wascal e. wabbit 84, beatrice 90, racecar 80, 84GTIx3. creme dream 81
      08-19-2011 09:43 PM #14
      I've wanted to do the same, for a very long time. not seein how the shifter works, but I'd prefer a big old suicide shifter anyways
      Quote Originally Posted by Deutschbag
      .....remind me not to IM anyone about anything important past 8pm on a Friday night.

M.C.M.S. #1
      Dead Rabbit Society: cultured 'n isht.

15. 08-19-2011 11:11 PM #15
      safe driving, pls. and post pics when done..
      Car leasing is the cheaper way to get a car without long term commitment