VWVortex

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Pad....is this right?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      12-26-2011 09:44 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by as350 View Post

I'm in for a set as well. I wonder if the laser etching could be changed from "R8" to either the TT logo or the TT RS logo?
      There won't be any bling on them if I have the batch made. My machinist would not be able to do this without considerable added expense. Instead, I will ask for clear annodization just to keep them looking good.
      2012 TT, Brilliant Black, Black Alcantera, Heated Seats, Mag Ride, custom JL Audio system with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH h/u, and a really big go button under my right foot.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI SE,2008 3.2 TT(sold) ,1992 16V GTI(sold),2010 A3 TDI(sold)
      12-26-2011 04:06 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreGooderTT View Post
      I have received the document from RaceJetta that will allow me to have these quoted.
      This will have to wait until after the holidays. Patience my friends!

I would be in for one of these(just missed the batch the other guy made) I would even front the money on mine if it would help get them done.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '15 A3 2.0T Cab
      12-27-2011 08:32 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by mageus View Post
      GaBoYnFla:
      Be careful about those pads. Apparently if you jack the car up using just one of those pads, it can bend the frame. Those pads are made to lift the car at by the dealer all 4 points simultaneously.
      A jack pad is a 'pad' that goes over a 'jack' or 'jack stands'. Harbor freights sells some cheap ones for jack stands.
      Do you mean bend the frame at the jack point (like people reported on Mk1 TTs, where the jack point couldnt take the weight and pushed up the floor pan) or bend the frame from the tortion of jackng only one corner at a time? I just jacked mine for the first time at the front corner jack point, and the creaking sound fron the back corner was terrible! I'm concerned that the sound means something is flexing in a way it shouldn't. Do others jack one corner at a time for tire changes?

If yes, I'd buy one on those custom jack adapters to swap my winter rims on and off.

4. Member
      12-27-2011 08:36 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Va_TTer View Post
      Do you mean bend the frame at the jack point (like people reported on Mk1 TTs, where the jack point couldnt take the weight and pushed up the floor pan) or bend the frame from the tortion of jackng only one corner at a time? I just jacked mine for the first time at the front corner jack point, and the creaking sound fron the back corner was terrible! I'm concerned that the sound means something is flexing in a way it shouldn't. Do others jack one corner at a time for tire changes?

If yes, I'd buy one on those custom jack adapters to swap my winter rims on and off.
      I'm no TT expert (yet) but I'm sure that the frame is certainly stiff enough to take the torsion. In fact, I always found it funny that I could jack up the front end of my MKV GTI's and R32 and the rear would raise as well. Shows how stiff these things are. But the TT's are mostly aluminum, so maybe it's possible it can bend?

The creaking noise you heard was probably the rear brakes slipping. This always happened on my GTI's and R32. Nothing to worry about.

- Jeremy -

5. Member
      12-27-2011 12:56 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Va_TTer View Post
      Do you mean bend the frame at the jack point ... or bend the frame from the tortion of jackng only one corner at a time?.
      I refer to the issue with prior 'A' platforms (Golf/Jetta, A3, TT). To clarify:
      - The 'jack pad' that GaBoYnFla refers to is a circular pad that fits in a hole on the chassis. There are 4 of these. The factory lift touches these points to lift the car at all 4 corners simultaneously. The 'pads' are there to protect the underbody. It has been recommended NOT to lift at only one of these points.
      - The rectangular holes are made to insert the factory jack (or an aftermarket jack with said $$$ aluminum-und-laser-etching adapter) and can be lifted at a single corner.
      - I actually used to lift my old B5, my mom's MkV Sportwagen, and the A5 on the crimp weld about mid-car. Really quick for rotating tires! Never worried about chassis flex.
      - The MkII TT doesn't have a crimp weld, so you have to lift at those rectangular socket points.
      - The creaking is the suspension/brakes. Fuggedaboudit.

Hope this helps out.
      - Deep Black Pearl '12 GTI 2.0T DSG
      - Phantom black '12 TT-RS 2.5TQMS
      - Brilliant black '08 A5 3.2QMS
      - Volcano black '99.5 A4 1.8TQM
      - Black '89 80 manual

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '15 A3 2.0T Cab
      12-27-2011 01:27 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by mageus View Post
      I refer to the issue with prior 'A' platforms (Golf/Jetta, A3, TT). To clarify:
      - The 'jack pad' that GaBoYnFla refers to is a circular pad that fits in a hole on the chassis. There are 4 of these. The factory lift touches these points to lift the car at all 4 corners simultaneously. The 'pads' are there to protect the underbody. It has been recommended NOT to lift at only one of these points.
      - The rectangular holes are made to insert the factory jack (or an aftermarket jack with said $$$ aluminum-und-laser-etching adapter) and can be lifted at a single corner.
      - I actually used to lift my old B5, my mom's MkV Sportwagen, and the A5 on the crimp weld about mid-car. Really quick for rotating tires! Never worried about chassis flex.
      - The MkII TT doesn't have a crimp weld, so you have to lift at those rectangular socket points.
      - The creaking is the suspension/brakes. Fuggedaboudit.

Hope this helps out.
      Yup, that's exactly the clarification I was looking for, thanks. I took a small bit of wood and put it between the jack and the rectangular hole to get the round jack head properly seated. Guess I'll be doing that until someone makes more of those fancy adapters.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '08 TT 3.2 s-line
      12-27-2011 02:02 PM #32
      I'm down for one too. I contacted the original creator about making more but didn't get anywhere with it.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      12-27-2011 04:35 PM #33
      I get the distinct impression that I should get right on this as soon as possible. All I can do is promise you that it will happen. After all, I want one for myself soon to swap my winters with summers.
      Last edited by MoreGooderTT; 12-27-2011 at 04:37 PM.
      2012 TT, Brilliant Black, Black Alcantera, Heated Seats, Mag Ride, custom JL Audio system with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH h/u, and a really big go button under my right foot.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '95 Honda DelSol, 2012 TT RS
      12-27-2011 04:57 PM #34
      Count me in!

Vehicles
      2015 Audi TTS Comp Package
      12-27-2011 06:12 PM #35
      I get the distinct impression that I should get right on this as soon as possible. All I can do is promise you that it will happen. After all, I want one for myself soon to swap my winters with summers.
      How much we talking about cause I'll want one too???
      Current: 2015 Audi TT S Competition Package
      Xpel clear bra, Gtechniq all over, H&R Sport Springs, H&R front and rear bars.
      Past: 2011 Audi TT S, Black on Black
      Remember: Imran Khan lives with his Dad and Mom!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      12-27-2011 08:31 PM #36
      I won't know the cost until I get it quoted. Regardless, they will be available to those interested at cost. I don't want or need any profit on this. Of course, the more folks that commit, the lower the cost because the setup costs get spread out over more parts.

12. 12-28-2011 04:41 PM #37
      I am in as well, much better than the socket I was using.

13. 12-28-2011 07:54 PM #38
      I'm in!
      Sign the Manual USA TT Petition:
      http://www.facebook.com/ManualTT4USA

14. 12-28-2011 08:13 PM #39
      I'd be interested in a pair of these too

Vehicles
      12-31-2011 08:42 AM #40
      bump this up to see if there is more interest.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      12-31-2011 01:21 PM #41
      I'll be working on it next week. Hold your horses!

17. 01-01-2012 02:28 PM #42
      I'll be working on it next week. Hold your horses!
      Sounds good!

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      01-03-2012 07:25 PM #43
      I sent a drawing to my machinist today. He's having some challenges with the radius at the top, but I think we'll get it sorted out pretty quickly. I've given him the liberty of putting a couple of tapped holes thru the base for a jig. This will make it less expensive to machine. I'va also asked for a black annodizing quote.

I'll keep everyone posted as progress continues.

Vehicles
      01-03-2012 09:44 PM #44
      I sent a drawing to my machinist today. He's having some challenges with the radius at the top, but I think we'll get it sorted out pretty quickly. I've given him the liberty of putting a couple of tapped holes thru the base for a jig. This will make it less expensive to machine. I'va also asked for a black annodizing quote.

thanks for the update. I'm all about function over form. I'm thinking I may buy two so I can use two jacks to raise the car.

20. 01-04-2012 02:02 AM #45

Awesome... Thanks for the update. I too would buy two. Black anodized would be cool

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      01-07-2012 07:31 AM #46
      Update:

My machinist had a very busy week since coming off of a long holiday. I'll ask for the price towards the end of next week after they've had a chance to catch up.

There's nothing in the print that I gave them that is particularly difficult. It's just a matter of squeezing it into their schedule. If they just can't be bothered due to a low volume, I know of other machinists in my area that would do it, but for a bit more cash most likely.

Vehicles
      01-07-2012 08:59 AM #47
      Update:

My machinist had a very busy week since coming off of a long holiday. I'll ask for the price towards the end of next week after they've had a chance to catch up.

There's nothing in the print that I gave them that is particularly difficult. It's just a matter of squeezing it into their schedule. If they just can't be bothered due to a low volume, I know of other machinists in my area that would do it, but for a bit more cash most likely.
      Thanks for the update.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      01-14-2012 08:49 AM #48
      Nothing to report. I just wanted to bump the thread so that folks know I'm still working on this. It's just not a rush for my machinist. I'll send an email today asking for the quote.

Vehicles
      01-14-2012 01:37 PM #49
      Nothing to report. I just wanted to bump the thread so that folks know I'm still working on this. It's just not a rush for my machinist. I'll send an email today asking for the quote.
      Thanks for checking in. No pressure but I plan on putting on my summer wheels March 1st...

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      01-14-2012 06:25 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by blimey View Post
      Thanks for checking in. No pressure but I plan on putting on my summer wheels March 1st...
      I plan to do the same. I need this jack pad as badly as everyone else. My summer wheels+tires are resting peacefully in my crawl space, waiting patiently for their day to roll.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast