Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Pad....is this right?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Q5, 2013 Boxster
      01-19-2012 08:24 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreGooderTT View Post
      Stevelev,
      I emailed the files. Did you receive them?

Thanks,
      MGTT
      Nope, didn't receive anything but likely won't need the info since we're doing the same run. Try sending to stevelev77 at gmail please and thanks !

4 inches in diameter.
      ^ There ya go !
      For Sale: Milltek exhaust with Milltek down pipe from my TTS

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      01-19-2012 08:35 PM #107
      I received the quote from my machinist. He's way, way off from what folks expect to pay.
      $155.00 each.

He proposed a two piece construction that would be a plate with a bolted on boss. Technically it would be fine, but at $89.00 each it's not much of a cheaper proposal. It's not that these are terrible investments even at that price, but given that the originals were only $25, it does make it a bit exorbitant.

My apologies to Stevelev. I forgot to email the documents yesterday. I'll get it done today I promise.

Oh, and this might go without saying, but I'm definitely in for two as well.
      Thanks for all the work on getting these quoted, but damn are they gouging on the price! They should be able to cut this simple shape on a 3-axis CNC, and just line a bunch of material up and hit go. With over 30 units being made, the set-up cost should amortize nicely.

You'll have to give your buddy at the shop a bit of a hard time for that.
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '00 TTQC 180 Mk 1, '10 TTSC
      01-19-2012 09:11 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevelev View Post
      I'm gonna peg the cost at $30. each ...
      ... Fedex shipping to say, Florida for 2 pads seems to be a far better deal at $25.
      Assuming that prospective pricing turns into real pricing, I will take four. If etching happens you can count me in for that too.

This puts a few bucks in my jeans to help rationalize the expected PITA shipping hassles ...
      Anybody that complains about you getting to keep a few bucks can ki$$ your butt. (I've done something like what you are doing for another marque. It's a lot of time and hassle and making at least enough for a good dinner goes a long way toward not making you hate doing it.)
      Code:
      Past:                                     Present:
      '00 TTQC 180 Black (Mk-I - the real Mk-I) '00 TTQC 180 Amulet Red (Mk-I - the real Mk-I)
      '01 TTQC 225 Black (w/MK-I control arms)  '10 TTSC Solar Orange
                                                '12 TTRS Panther Black Crystal

4. 01-19-2012 10:06 PM #109
      Anybody that complains about you getting to keep a few bucks can ki$$ your butt. (I've done something like what you are doing for another marque. It's a lot of time and hassle and making at least enough for a good dinner goes a long way toward not making you hate doing it.)[/QUOTE]

Agreed, you should at minimum get yours for free and then some. The least we can do for you being generous enough to do this.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4
      01-19-2012 10:19 PM #110
      The size of the jack pad is approx. 3 inches round so it should fit in pretty well any jack. I plan to use Paypal for this deal and once all is firmed up I'll provide final details.

Costs:

I'm gonna peg the cost at $30. each at this point assuming we'll hit 25. This puts a few bucks in my jeans to help rationalize the expected PITA shipping hassles ...

Shipping:

I was able to obtain info on shipping to the US and it aint pretty due to being north of the 49th ! Assuming I purchase padded envelopes and send via Canada Post (most convenient for me), the cost with insurance but no tracking is approx $20. per pad. Although there appears to be virtually no savings in shipping cost for 2 pads, the shipping time would be reduced and would include tracking.

Although the online cost to ship one pad to the US is a couple bucks more with Fedex compared to Canada Post, it appears to be the best bet due to shipping time being greatly reduced (4 business days) and tracking is included. Fedex shipping to say, Florida for 2 pads seems to be a far better deal at $25. This is before any costs for packaging. I'll firm this up tomorrow.

Etching:

Assuming a vector file will be provided, the add'l cost would be $2 per pad and must be for all pads. Seems I'm in a position to make a unilateral decision on what, if anything is laser etched but will first try doing this by vote. How about someone set up a vote thread and we'll see where it takes us?

Please add me to list of buyers.

6. 01-19-2012 10:54 PM #111
      Steve,
      What format do you want the vector file? EPS? AI?
      Let me know and I'll email them to you.
      D>
      q u a t t i v e
      T T - R S
      Monza / Titanium / Tech / Heated Seats / Leather

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Q5, 2013 Boxster
      01-20-2012 07:44 AM #112
      Thx for the vote of confidence guys.

As far as format of vector file I have no idea but will ask. Since only 2 have said anything about specific etching and nobody has started a poll, it may be bit early for providing files.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      01-20-2012 09:52 AM #113
      I'll take two at the $30ish price, don't care about etching.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

Vehicles
      2009/Audi/TT 2.0 FWD
      01-20-2012 10:16 AM #114
      I'll take two if they are <$40.
      The TT etching works for me, even at a couple of bucks more -

Thanks to all involved . . . . . . .
      [

10. 01-20-2012 10:31 AM #115
      q u a t t i v e
      T T - R S
      Monza / Titanium / Tech / Heated Seats / Leather

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Q5, 2013 Boxster
      01-20-2012 10:38 AM #116
      ok, I'm no longer going to bother keeping track of who is in on this. I'll firm up the shipping part of this deal today and then report back ...

Quote Originally Posted by quattive View Post
      Awesome, thanks !

On a related note, my car was on a hoist yesterday and hockey pucks were used to ensure lots of clearance for the sideskirts. I was very surprised to see the pucks being compressed from the car weight !
      Last edited by Stevelev; 01-20-2012 at 10:43 AM.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Q5, 2013 Boxster
      01-20-2012 01:44 PM #117
      Come on guys the poll reflects a tight "race" but only 6 votes.

Vehicles
      2010 R8 V10, Jetta Racecar, '98 GTI, '11 335ix
      01-20-2012 02:30 PM #118

I'll just say it simply: The original design has been fully vetted, and confirmed for even the newest TT. Audi has not changed the jack point design at all.
      If you'd talking about mine, yes. The design was made by making a clay prototype first complete fitment. It's been tested by many R8 owners who are pretty picky about lifting their cars as we only have on jack point right in he middle of the car.

The size of the jack pad is approx. 3 inches round so it should fit in pretty well any jack. I plan to use Paypal for this deal and once all is firmed up I'll provide final details.
      My original design was a 4" base as most guys had low profile racing jack that the adapter fit perfectly in to. Some guys has 3" cups and they said it worked okay. The original design would work with a 3" base as well because the diagonal measurement of the base of the 'nub' that goes in to the jack point is almost exaclty 3" (measured from the one I have in my hand.

Another thing about the etching on the bottom. It gets beat up really fast. If you want it to stay looking reasonable, I suggest that one can put a layer of Lamin-x or clear shield on the bottom. Or buy two. One as your fancy desk paperweight and the other for the garage toolbox. I know a number of R8 guys did that.

Looks like you guys have a good list of people to make another run. Fwiw. I charged 40$ each which covered the manufacturing, bubble wrap, boxes (which aren't cheap for little 6x6" boxes). Then I charged each person their shipping individually giving each their choice of various levels of Canada post service. As long as the shipping weight was over 1lb or something like that I was able to ship via 'expidited parcel' which we found to be reasonable and had a tracking number.

The one thing abou shipping by Canada post, this is directed to the guy running this batch out of Ottawa. Is that if you use the online method to generate your shipping labels, you cant use a 6x6" box as the label will have to wrap around the edges. Canada post will not accept them like that. I suggest you find a box size that lets you stick the label totally flat on the box.

My first two batches I had made had people receive them around the globe. With no issues from Canada post. Some were shipped international surface even and everybody got their stuff.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Q5, 2013 Boxster
      01-20-2012 02:46 PM #119
      Thanks for the add'l info RaceJetta ! Perhaps it makes sense to have no etching and be done with it?

I did a little more digging on shipping. It appears wrapping in bubble wrap and shipping in a Purolater plastic envelope provides the least cost route for those buying 2 pads, includes insurance as well as tracking and should take less than week. I'll give this until Monday afternoon to see how the vote goes and then will finalize this once and for all.

Have a good weekend all !

Vehicles
      2010 R8 V10, Jetta Racecar, '98 GTI, '11 335ix
      01-20-2012 03:02 PM #120
      I think a Purolator envelope sounds like a pretty good idea with a pile of bubblewrap. Boxes were tedious. I know I shipped about 35 of these thing. Seriously, you are in for a lot of work to ship these out. Your time costs money too. Nobody complained when I charged 40$ + shipping each.

One other thing about the etching. You don't own the copyright to the Audi logos. Something to be aware of, I was fully aware of that when I made mine and took the risk, knowing it was very small volume. But definitely if you go bigger you need the rights to put those on when selling them. Audi is probably one of those companies that would take infringement not lightly.

16. 01-20-2012 07:37 PM #121
      Quick question for those ordering 4, I am assuming this is to put the entire car on jacks. My question is how would you jack up the car and place the stand under this area with the pad if your using the pad to lift the car? Is there another place you can lift the car?

Just curious

Thank you

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 TTS Coupe
      01-21-2012 08:28 AM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by GERMANCARMAN View Post
      Is there another place you can lift the car?
      Yeah if you look underneath...

For the rear, there's a flat area underside just in front of the rear tyre, it has a couple of grooves and a threaded hole there too.

For the front - just behind the front wheel, in from the side about 20cm, there's another flat area.

Both these points are where i've lifted the car up on the workshop hoist numerous times, and probably the same spots Audi use as well.
      08.2009 TTS 2.0 TFSI Coupe / RED / S Tronic / LED Internal Lighting / iPod Control / etc
      Audi Forums - Australia

Vehicles
      2015 Audi TTS Comp Package
      01-21-2012 09:47 AM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by MaXius View Post
      Yeah if you look underneath...

For the rear, there's a flat area underside just in front of the rear tyre, it has a couple of grooves and a threaded hole there too.

For the front - just behind the front wheel, in from the side about 20cm, there's another flat area.

Both these points are where i've lifted the car up on the workshop hoist numerous times, and probably the same spots Audi use as well.
      Any pics of these areas?
      Current: 2015 Audi TT S Competition Package
      Plans: Xpel clear bra, Gtechniq all over, H&R Sport Springs, H&R front and rear bars.
      Past: 2011 Audi TT S, Black on Black
      Clear bra, H&R Sport Springs, Magride, Neuspeed 25mm front and rear sway bars

19. 01-21-2012 02:23 PM #124
      My original design was a 4" base as most guys had low profile racing jack that the adapter fit perfectly in to. Some guys has 3" cups and they said it worked okay. The original design would work with a 3" base as well because the diagonal measurement of the base of the 'nub' that goes in to the jack point is almost exaclty 3" (measured from the one I have in my hand).

I hate to do this at this point, but have there been any thought on this? I know my jack pad is just under 3 1/2 inches so a 4" would not be on the pad, it would be on the metal. Just my 2 cents, I would rather have a 3".

Anyone else measure their jack pad?????

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      01-21-2012 02:46 PM #125
      Can someone recommend a jack that would work with the jack pad? I'm sure there are some high dollar ones out there that are meant for daily use. Mine will be used to change winter/summer setups.

And, I'm glad someone pointed out that there's a 3" version floating around! I had no idea. I don't understand how a 4" dia jack pad can work for a jack that uses a 3" pad.
      2012 TT, Brilliant Black, Black Alcantera, Heated Seats, Mag Ride, custom JL Audio system with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH h/u, and a really big go button under my right foot.

Vehicles
      2008 3.2 TT ,1992 16V GTI,2010 A3 TDI
      01-21-2012 02:51 PM #126
      Mine is 4"

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      01-21-2012 04:22 PM #127
      The center rubber portion of mine is 3.25", and the outer diameter of the metal support disc is 4".

23. 01-21-2012 05:03 PM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      The center rubber portion of mine is 3.25", and the outer diameter of the metal support disc is 4".
      Same here, but I would think we would want it on the rubber pad, not the metal, it would slip to easy in My opinion.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      01-21-2012 09:23 PM #129
      Stevelev,
      I emailed the files to the second email addy you PM'd me.
      2012 TT, Brilliant Black, Black Alcantera, Heated Seats, Mag Ride, custom JL Audio system with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH h/u, and a really big go button under my right foot.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Q5, 2013 Boxster
      01-21-2012 11:06 PM #130
      Stevelev,
      I emailed the files to the second email addy you PM'd me.
      Got it thx.

26. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT DSG FWD
      01-22-2012 12:53 AM #131
      Live in Milton, Ontario...I'll take two...

MGuruX

27. Member
      01-22-2012 03:49 AM #132
      Mine is 4" but a 3" jackpad would work just fine. One thing to note is that you'll definitely need a low profile jack to lift the RS. It's much lower than I anticipated. I have access to a shop with 7 lifts, and the lift that I normally use was too tall. Luckily, they have two that are low profile.

Anyway, I bought a jack like these on Ebay for like $90 or something. They're inexpensive but they're actually pretty nice. I don't think you need to spend $300 on a jack:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

- Jeremy -

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2013 Audi Q5
      01-22-2012 06:21 AM #133
      I have an OTC 1532 aluminum "racing" jack. It was pricey (about $250) but from everything I've read it is the best (and has a lifetime warranty). That's it holding up my orange TTS in the first page of this thread.

The pad diameter (I have one of the original "R8" versions) is very slightly too large for this jack's saddle. It works but it would be better if it were about 1/4 to 1/2" smaller. I may get mine trimmed down at some point, but as is I just have to get things aligned properly and it is fine.
      Previous:
      2011 TTS, 2007 Fahrenheit GTI (#493), 2007 RS4 Avus/Ebony CF, 2004 S4 Silver/Ebony 6M, 2001 S4 6M Cactus Green Avant, etc.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      01-22-2012 01:40 PM #134
      I'd vote to drop the jack pad diameter down to 3" (or whatever the limit is to the size of the raised section that mates with the TT underbody). I don't see a downside, as 3" will work both with smaller and larger jacks.

30. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI (Reflex Silver); 2012 Audi TT RS (Suzuka Grey)
      01-22-2012 02:01 PM #135
      I'd like to order one too. What do I have to do?

31. 01-22-2012 03:51 PM #136
      I'd vote to drop the jack pad diameter down to 3" (or whatever the limit is to the size of the raised section that mates with the TT underbody). I don't see a downside, as 3" will work both with smaller and larger jacks.
      Agreed, that is what I was thinking, shouldn't change cost as it would actually be using less material.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Q5, 2013 Boxster
      01-22-2012 05:57 PM #137
      I've sent an email asking what impact this will have on design as well as costs. I hope to report back with all details incl final costs and how to order by end of day tomorrow. Frankly, I'm leaning towards no etching ...

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 TTS Coupe
      01-22-2012 06:35 PM #138
      Frankly, I'm leaning towards no etching ...
      Yeh.. If you want a logo, stick one on yourself later, it'll scratch up the same
      08.2009 TTS 2.0 TFSI Coupe / RED / S Tronic / LED Internal Lighting / iPod Control / etc
      Audi Forums - Australia

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      01-22-2012 07:16 PM #139
      I've sent an email asking what impact this will have on design as well as costs. I hope to report back with all details incl final costs and how to order by end of day tomorrow. Frankly, I'm leaning towards no etching ...
      Yeah, etching seems a little excessive.

35. 01-22-2012 07:57 PM #140
      Based on the feedback that the etching just gets all scratched up I am OK with none as well.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast