Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 36 to 59 of 59

    Thread: Projector Vs. LED flat panel TV for basement

    1. Banned Chris Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2008
      Location
      'Murica. F yeah.
      Posts
      11,644
      Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      07-11-2011 11:34 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      Because it adds to the total cost of the system. If you are gong to disregard costs, you may as well get what you want rather than compromising
      Dude, I don't care about the gas mileage difference between my s2000 and my wife's Jetta; should I have said screw it and bought an Enzo since I don't care about gas costs? That's basically what you are saying.

      A projector setup is several grand more than a basic LED LCD; that's a big difference compared to the couple bucks a month difference in electricity costs that I won't notice anyways.

    2. Member seymore15074's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 23rd, 2007
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      1,572
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi S6
      07-11-2011 11:41 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      No ****. And I doubt the energy difference between LCD and Plasma is $10/mo, considering my whole electric bill (inc. 2 LCDs that are plugged in 24/7) is usually $60-120, depending on season. Our power is pretty cheap.
      There's no way it's $10/month...probably not if it's on 24/7.

    3. 07-11-2011 11:43 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      Because it adds to the total cost of the system. If you are gong to disregard costs, you may as well get what you want rather than compromising
      In my area, the annual cost for a 55" plasma is about $65, vs. $25 for an LED-based set, assuming the TV is on for about 8 hours a day, which is more than most people I know ever have their TV on. So, we're really taking about $40 per year (because you don't use 0 energy with an LED) difference, by 5 years, is $200.

      Now, lets assume you want a 55" screen, and a very good one...lets say that means a 55VT30 from Panasonic and a 55HX929 from Sony, if you want comparable performance (I don't want to get into debating performance of different brands here, these are two I'm very familiar with). Assuming you're buying from authorized retailers where you get a warranty, the Sony is going to run you $3800, and the Panasonic can be had for around $2800...that's $1000 difference. That buys you 25 years at current energy rates, and you get a better picture.

    4. Banned Chris Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2008
      Location
      'Murica. F yeah.
      Posts
      11,644
      Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      07-11-2011 11:46 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      In my area, the annual cost for a 55" plasma is about $65, vs. $25 for an LED-based set, assuming the TV is on for about 8 hours a day, which is more than most people I know ever have their TV on. So, we're really taking about $40 per year (because you don't use 0 energy with an LED) difference, by 5 years, is $200.

      Now, lets assume you want a 55" screen, and a very good one...lets say that means a 55VT30 from Panasonic and a 55HX929 from Sony, if you want comparable performance (I don't want to get into debating performance of different brands here, these are two I'm very familiar with). Assuming you're buying from authorized retailers where you get a warranty, the Sony is going to run you $3800, and the Panasonic can be had for around $2800...that's $1000 difference. That buys you 25 years at current energy rates, and you get a better picture.
      This TV would probably be watched less than 8 hours a month.

    5. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      21,068
      07-11-2011 11:47 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      This TV would probably be watched less than 8 hours a month.
      Liar! You're at home "working" in front of the TV right now...admit it!

    6. Member GeoffD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2001
      Location
      Killington, Vt & South Dartmouth, Ma
      Posts
      12,344
      Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      07-11-2011 11:49 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      No ****. And I doubt the energy difference between LCD and Plasma is $10/mo, considering my whole electric bill (inc. 2 LCDs that are plugged in 24/7) is usually $60-120, depending on season. Our power is pretty cheap.
      A new 50" plasma that is set to factory defaults only pulls 150 watts. When you calibrate it, it pulls 200 watts. Electricity in New England costs between 14 and 17 cents per kilowatt hour. ...so my plasma costs me 3 or 4 cents per hour to run. An LCD panel costs half as much.


      To me, it's worth it to have the better image quality of plasma. It's not like I can't afford an extra 2 cents per hour to run it.

    7. Banned Chris Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2008
      Location
      'Murica. F yeah.
      Posts
      11,644
      Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      07-11-2011 11:50 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      Liar! You're at home "working" in front of the TV right now...admit it!
      If I was, I wouldn't be on the computer OR watching TV. We lost power this AM due to a microburst after I left for work.


      My wife took this trying (unsuccessfully) to leave for work this morning.

    8. Member GRNWNV's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 24th, 2001
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      3,255
      Vehicles
      13 Toyota Tacome 13 Abarth Cabrio
      07-11-2011 01:07 PM #43
      Both?


      120" in the Theatre/Man cave






      Sharp LCD for the living room

    9. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,637
      07-11-2011 04:14 PM #44




      This is the only tv in the house . 148" of wallsex

    10. Member charlatan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 7th, 2004
      Location
      Moline, ILLannoy
      Posts
      3,556
      Vehicles
      MKV R32 / Jeep GC (WJ)
      07-12-2011 10:27 AM #45
      I say get the projector, a decent enough one can still be had for $1,000 or so. I know others will chime in that you might need to spend way beyond that, but you might be happy with one at this price point.

      Add another $1,000 for a screen and buy a cheaper audio system that you will move to another tv setup once you can afford to upgrade the sound for the projector.

      That being said, my friend got two nice projector screens (automatic) at two different times on craigslist. Keep an eye out on there and save a bunch. After seeing his 130+" screen, I want one.

    11. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,141
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      07-12-2011 10:39 AM #46
      Unless you really want a GIANT picture (60+ inches), a projector isn't worth it, IMO.

    12. 07-12-2011 03:59 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      Unless you really want a GIANT picture (60+ inches), a projector isn't worth it, IMO.
      Who are these people that are using projectors for pictures that small? I've been building home theaters for a living for over a decade and I'm yet to have someone ask about a projector for a screen size that can be had with a general-sized flat panel.

      ...and 60" isn't close to a GIANT picture...I very rarely sell anything smaller than a 50" these days, outside of guest rooms and really small spaces.

    13. Banned Chris Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2008
      Location
      'Murica. F yeah.
      Posts
      11,644
      Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      07-12-2011 04:07 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      Unless you really want a GIANT picture (60+ inches), a projector isn't worth it, IMO.
      I want a 120" screen.


      And I've got the room for it.


      I just don't know if it's worth the wait over a mid-level LED (or, maybe a plasma as has been pointed out by a number of people in this thread )

    14. 07-12-2011 04:12 PM #49
      There is no "wow" factor to a large flat panel anymore.

    15. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,141
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      07-12-2011 04:14 PM #50
      I'm pretty sure the OP understands what I meant.

    16. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,141
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      07-12-2011 04:24 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I want a 120" screen.
      And I've got the room for it.
      I just don't know if it's worth the wait over a mid-level LED (or, maybe a plasma as has been pointed out by a number of people in this thread )
      You should go BIG or go home, brah! Projector it is!

      I'm happy with a 50 inch TV.

    17. Banned Chris Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2008
      Location
      'Murica. F yeah.
      Posts
      11,644
      Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      07-12-2011 04:40 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      You should go BIG or go home, brah! Projector it is!

      I'm happy with a 50 inch TV.
      I've got a 47" in the great room where most TV watching takes place.

      We're starting to plan how we're going to arrange our finished basement, and part is earmarked for a "theater" area. Like I said, I'm just trying to decide if I'd rather have an awesome theater in 5 years, or a decent one soon.

    18. Banned Der Schaltwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2010
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      3,141
      Vehicles
      (OoO)
      07-12-2011 05:49 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Like I said, I'm just trying to decide if I'd rather have an awesome theater in 5 years, or a decent one soon.
      White people problems.

    19. Senior Member Hostile's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2002
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      29,387
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      07-12-2011 05:57 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      There is no "wow" factor to a large flat panel anymore.
      Maybe if your job is installing them every day for rich folks...

      I was certainly wowed when we bought our 46" LED LCD- coming from a 34" tube HD TV was a HUGE change.

    20. Member GRNWNV's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 24th, 2001
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      3,255
      Vehicles
      13 Toyota Tacome 13 Abarth Cabrio
      07-12-2011 06:27 PM #55
      If you already have a 47" then I would wait. Plus the projector takes up zero room when not in use.

    21. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      14,461
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      07-12-2011 06:28 PM #56
      We still have CRTs in my house, so I don't have any suggestions.

    22. Member LGBoogie19's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 18th, 2008
      Location
      MARYLAND
      Posts
      1,396
      07-12-2011 07:32 PM #57
      If it's only going to used primarily for parties and gatherings with a bunch of people I would definitely go with a projector. Most of the set ups I have seen look real good and you are always able to get a good view of the screen. However if its gonna be a mancave and you're gonna be chilling down there a lot, watching movies and playing games with a not so large group of people then I would go with like a 55 inch Panasonic plasma. But like someone else already said, you can never go wrong with 'go big or go home'.

    23. Moderator SOAR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2007
      Location
      Mukilteo, WA
      Posts
      8,051
      07-12-2011 08:43 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by LGBoogie19 View Post
      Most of the set ups I have seen look real good and you are always able to get a good view of the screen..
      My thing about projectors is that they deliver a more "realistic" picture than flat panels. I've fiddled with my panny plasma forever to get it as close to a realistic picture as possible and it just isn't possible. I've never seen a flat panel that didnt completely blow out all the colors and create an "unreal" cartoony image.

      If I'm trying to create a theater setting... There is no other option. Projector all the way.

    24. Member ThreadBomber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      9,795
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      07-13-2011 01:39 AM #59
      If you can get it dark down there, nothing beats a projector. Picture quality is excellent on them now. I have 110" Carada screen with a Epson 6500UB projector (few years old now, but it's 1080p, have no real interest in 3D at the moment). It is so good for movies, video games, sports etc etc.

      I guess I don't have any pics of it finished, but it has black carpet now



      Teefy Buna

      Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •