Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My cabby---in over my head?--we will see.

Vehicles
      1988 cabby, 1977 Rabbit VR6, Ducati 696
      07-12-2011 08:55 PM #1
      Hello MKI owners. I would first like to say that the cars on this forum are humbling, and are the motivation I need to keep moving in a forward direction on my own car. My daily is a MKV GLI, but I have wanted a MKI since high school(circa 2001)when me and my buddy drove the wheels off his 4 door Westy diesal My chance to fulfill this desire came in Febuary of this year. My wife---knowing full well my craving for MKI-goodness, facilitated the purchase of my new baby.....my 1988 cabby

I snagged her, running--for $800. She was in OK shape, but had numorous issues. Having a solid daily, and having waited a LONG time to own a MKI---I decided that instead of putting her on the road strait away, I would try and make this car the way I truely wanted it to be........clean, quick, and classy. Wheather I ultimately succeed in the above is yet to be seen.... I will say that having jumped in with both feet----with little MKI knowledge, I do feel in over my head a tad. Anywho, a few progress pics........

Rats nest engine bay

Starting the insanity

Ready to yank!

A great fellow Vortex MKI driver (727signs) came over to help a brutha out

What a MESS!
      Last edited by RogueRabbit83; 07-22-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Vehicles
      07-12-2011 09:12 PM #2
      The next steps took place just a few weeks ago........engine tear-down and tranny cleanup

Bored, so I painted the trans---premature, I know

Also started work on my messy bay. I really wanted to clean things up. I decided that no matter how hard it would be---I wanted to delete my A/C, PS, power brake booster, and relocate my battery. I started removing the wiring harness and un-needed lines/hoses

Also pressure washed the now gutted bay---in prep for some grinding!

Tray and coolant bottle-bracket deleted

Firewall partially prepped for welding---still need to cut out the rain tray

Got a few goodies from ToddA1 too......

Vehicles
      82 Rabbit
      07-12-2011 09:27 PM #3
      That engine bay actually looked pretty un-molested from what I could see, but stock or not they are pretty messy. Looks like you are off to a good start. Just deleting the above mentioned items will make it look like there isnt enough under the hood to actually make the engine run, I think its that simplicity that has always drawn me to Mk1's.

Welcome and keep us posted.

Vehicles
      07-12-2011 09:36 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Shocwav3 View Post
      That engine bay actually looked pretty un-molested from what I could see, but stock or not they are pretty messy. Looks like you are off to a good start. Just deleting the above mentioned items will make it look like there isnt enough under the hood to actually make the engine run, I think its that simplicity that has always drawn me to Mk1's.

Welcome and keep us posted.
      Thanks man! I agree---I love the simplicity of the 8v.....beautifully simple, and capable of oodles O' fun. I will be dragging my self out to the garage tonight to begin some wire-wheel action I am really trying to have the bay ready for paint by the end of this month. I dont want the "bathtub" look, just a significantly cleaner and simplified bay. More updates soon.

Vehicles
      81 carb'd caddy
      07-12-2011 10:21 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by RogueRabbit83 View Post
      I dont want the "bathtub" look
      amen
      I my Savannah Cat

Vehicles
      07-12-2011 11:21 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Tougemachine View Post
      amen
      ^^LOL

Anywho........just showered after an hour of wire-wheeling, cant feel my hands--but a little progress has been made!

Almost time to start welding!

Vehicles
      07-13-2011 12:52 PM #7
      Had a little time before work this morning---trying to keep moving so I dont have the tendency to get discouraged

Removed the old engine harness completely----gonna get help to completely rewire, since I will be going with the MSD 6BTM when I can afford it I also ripped out the stained, ****ty carpet and firewall padding in preperation for welding the firewall, hopefully this week(end)

been cruising around the interwebz for interior options......noticed the "factory" moulded carpet kits for my car on Ebay for $140----anyone buy one?.....any good?....forget I saw it? Insight on this appreciated.

Vehicles
      83 GTI
      07-13-2011 01:03 PM #8
      nice clean car to start with
      My Boosted 16VT Build

FS/FT 83 GTI roller
      Make me an offer before I chop it up

Vehicles
      '81 2.0 Rabbit, '87 1.8 carbed Cabby, '80 350 Rat Rod Caddy
      07-13-2011 01:33 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Gear_Dog View Post
      nice clean car to start with
      x2

Same color and options my wife's car has, although the only thing we did to hers is swap it to carbs and dumped it on refinished rabbit steelies. The car doesn't get driven enough.

Good luck and welcome to the MK1 world. You're likely to never leave and develop a sick fetish for these old cars lol
      Music's Edge Design
      The Body Mod Shop
      Quote Originally Posted by wantacad View Post
      R.I.P early westy, late westy and stripes..
      You will be missed. 1979-Current

Vehicles
      07-13-2011 02:29 PM #10
      Thanks guys! I am already obsessed with my MKI---it can only get more developed from here

I am getting a welder tonight from a buddy to continue my bay work---still debating bay color choice......kinda leaning towards saddle brown+matching interior. Any thoughts?---or any thoughts on my carpet question?

Vehicles
      82 Rabbit
      07-13-2011 02:50 PM #11
      As far as carpet goes...

http://stockinteriors.com/items.asp?..._Rabbit_Carpet

Stole this from another thread, but after looking at the site for a while last night the quality looks good. They are cheaper then Ebay at anyrate.

Vehicles
      07-13-2011 03:01 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Shocwav3 View Post
      As far as carpet goes...

http://stockinteriors.com/items.asp?..._Rabbit_Carpet

Stole this from another thread, but after looking at the site for a while last night the quality looks good. They are cheaper then Ebay at anyrate.
      Thanks!--- leaning towards the saddle brown, and at that price I might order it next week!

07-13-2011 04:00 PM #13
      One of my favorite colors and interior combinations-

Good luck with the build!

Vehicles
      07-13-2011 06:02 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by _WCHLVR_ View Post
      One of my favorite colors and interior combinations-

Good luck with the build!
      Thanks man!--I have pics of your beautiful car saved to my computer--- they are helping me keep my eye on the prize. I can't wait to order my master cylinder relocation kit(under dash), gotta save my pennies for a bit first though

Vehicles
      82 Rabbit
      07-13-2011 07:16 PM #15
      Thanks!--- leaning towards the saddle brown, and at that price I might order it next week!
      I like that saddle color for sure.

Vehicles
      88 fox RIP 86 jetta RIP 81 rabbit RIP, 1984 GTI RIP, 03 Allroad sold, 86 Jetta sold, 87 f150 & ????
      07-13-2011 08:22 PM #16
      where did you buy those invisible safety glasses?

Good luck on the car man! looks good already, but please get some glasses on so you can see to finish it.
      1% defined: Lone wolf, no club. Duct tape it yourself. It is broken down 1% of the time, and work is always 1% completed.
      2% defined: I'm too old to drive broken sh*t and VW people are cool. DBVW!
      Quote Originally Posted by nsindel View Post
      May I introduce Senor SGLoki -
      the man, the myth, the slamdancer...

Vehicles
      07-13-2011 10:47 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by SGLoki View Post
      where did you buy those invisible safety glasses?

Good luck on the car man! looks good already, but please get some glasses on so you can see to finish it.
      LOL----found the glasses!......and got back to work right after dinnertime

Slowly getting there.......

07-14-2011 03:37 AM #18
      I have pics of your beautiful car saved to my computer--- they are helping me keep my eye on the prize.
      Very flattered. Thank you!

Vehicles
      07-14-2011 07:32 AM #19
      Very flattered. Thank you!
      Yea---ironically, I had saved and oogled those pics before I even found this car.....perhaps it swayed my purchase choice?

While I am talking about your work----do you have any photos (besides the ones on your site) of the under-dash brake kit? Still saving for it---but trying to scheme in my head WTF to do about the brake lines.......especially the rears.

Lastly, while I am asking about lines-----is there any reasonable way to reroute the fuel feed lines from the tank that are in the back of the engine bay? Man they are ugly! Thanks everyone for the comments and help!

07-14-2011 02:20 PM #20
      While I am talking about your work----do you have any photos (besides the ones on your site) of the under-dash brake kit? Still saving for it---but trying to scheme in my head WTF to do about the brake lines.......especially the rears.

Lastly, while I am asking about lines-----is there any reasonable way to reroute the fuel feed lines from the tank that are in the back of the engine bay? Man they are ugly! Thanks everyone for the comments and help!
      Take a look at my build thread- click here I have a ton of pics in there. I can also snap some if there is something specific you would like to see. I am planning to re-do the rears at some point. Plan is to run them inside the cab and out the rear bulkhead. I also plan to run my front brake lines through the fenderwells on each side.

As for the fuel lines- Reroute them to the inside of the car, over to the drivers side, and through the fenderwell. This would the stealthiest way to go. You can then have them enter right at the fuel dizzy. 100% stealth!
      Last edited by _WCHLVR_; 07-14-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Vehicles
      07-14-2011 02:45 PM #21
      Take a look at my build thread- click here I have a ton of pics in there. I can also snap some if there is something specific you would like to see. I am planning to re-do the rears at some point. Plan is to run them inside the cab and out the rear bulkhead. I also plan to run my front brake lines through the fenderwells on each side.

As for the fuel lines- Reroute them to the inside of the car, over to the drivers side, and through the fenderwell. This would the stealthiest way to go. You can then have them enter right at the fuel dizzy. 100% stealth!
      Thanks! ^^Kinda what I had in mind.........just gotta find someone capable of making said lines. Where would be a good place to end the factory fuel lines as they sit now.....I mean, where to cut hem? Also----whats the third line that comes through the fram with the two steel lines? Sorry for all the questions.

Of note today: Got the welder from my buddy, and bought sheet metal+a spool of wire! Tomorrow--Welding time

07-14-2011 02:52 PM #22
      Thanks! ^^Kinda what I had in mind.........just gotta find someone capable of making said lines. Where would be a good place to end the factory fuel lines as they sit now.....I mean, where to cut hem? Also----whats the third line that comes through the fram with the two steel lines? Sorry for all the questions.

Of note today: Got the welder from my buddy, and bought sheet metal+a spool of wire! Tomorrow--Welding time
      Cut to remove? It is best to simply remove the rack and pull the lines as one piece. As for the third line- are speaking of the black plastic line? That is for the tank vent and runs to the emissions canisters in the fenderwells.

Hope that helps!

Vehicles
      07-14-2011 03:39 PM #23
      Cut to remove? It is best to simply remove the rack and pull the lines as one piece. As for the third line- are speaking of the black plastic line? That is for the tank vent and runs to the emissions canisters in the fenderwells.

Hope that helps!
      It does-----FL does not have emissions, so that line can go away....yes? I am swapping the steering rack for a manual setup----I meant the fuel lines. Thanks for your patience and help---been reading your caddy build---amazing stuff in that thread.

07-14-2011 04:08 PM #24
      It does-----FL does not have emissions, so that line can go away....yes? I am swapping the steering rack for a manual setup----I meant the fuel lines. Thanks for your patience and help---been reading your caddy build---amazing stuff in that thread.
      Yeah... I removed all the emissions crap off my truck.

Once you have the rack out, it is super easy to pull those fuel lines. I made the mistake of cutting mine to try and pull them... total PITA.

Certainly give me a shout if you have more questions. Always glad to help. You can hit me up here or shoot me an email- oldskool_vw@yahoo.com

Vehicles
      07-14-2011 04:53 PM #25
      Certainly will hit you up after work---as well as post more updates. "just keep swimming, just keep swimming"........

Vehicles
      07-16-2011 09:03 PM #26
      Picked up some supplies----and found a tiny bit of time to do work!

A learning process, I will get better----I swearz

A quick break to examine my progress quench my thirst

More progress and pics later tonight........thanks for looking

Vehicles
      Grabber Blue and German rust
      07-16-2011 11:32 PM #27
      A quick break to examine my progress quench my thirst
      Nice work on the car so far, looks like you're off to a good start.
      Quote Originally Posted by SGLoki View Post
      Mk1people > Mkrestofpeople.
      Quote Originally Posted by unleashedd View Post
      wow this has escalatored quickly. dude now has vr6 up front, w8 out back, he's crying metal tears, and people are demanding consumption of feces... i dont know whats real anymore!

Vehicles
      07-17-2011 12:07 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v_HOR View Post
      Nice work on the car so far, looks like you're off to a good start.
      Thanks man----a bit more from just now........

One step at a time, and trying to stay positive the whole way

Vehicles
      1984 VW Jetta GLI 8V, 1988 VW Jetta GLI 1.8 16V
      07-17-2011 03:38 AM #29
      Good luck with the project.

Just keep swimming.

Vehicles
      07-23-2011 06:26 PM #30
      Still plugging away on my bay---bought long-hair and finishing Bondo, in hopes I get to use it soon

Also felt like sharing-----

Guy on CL wanted $150.......I talked him down to $125 cash. Upon meeting up to exchange, I noticed one wheel was curbed pretty damn good, which I pointed out to the seller......so I got them all for $100 Now to find a decent place to refinish them

Vehicles
      '84 GTI '83 pickup '02 Focus '08 STI
      07-23-2011 07:20 PM #31
      nice wheels. hope you got all the center caps with them... they are hard to find from what i hear... good luck with finding a place to refinish them for you
      Quote Originally Posted by rod_knock View Post
      Remind me to drive up there this weekend and give you a PITD

07-23-2011 11:44 PM #32
      ... Now to find a decent place to WIDEN them
      FIXED

Pull these out to 7s or 8s would be epic. Stretch some 195/45's for a nice meaty look with good ride and comfortable height. Play with some spacers to set them in the wells for perfect stancing!

Yeah... I said stancing.... blow me!

Vehicles
      07-25-2011 10:17 AM #33
      FIXED

Pull these out to 7s or 8s would be epic. Stretch some 195/45's for a nice meaty look with good ride and comfortable height. Play with some spacers to set them in the wells for perfect stancing!

Yeah... I said stancing.... blow me!

^^^--lol, that would be sick..... Not sure about putting that kinda cash into these though---kinda wanna save my wheel money for the rims I dream of oneday having.....Ronal Turbos! --besides, I have to place my order for the brake relocation kit and slampan before I throw down big money to mod wheels.....

On another note---almost finished welding, just have a little on the drivers side to finish tonight. I ran a little mud on the passengers side to try and get a feel.......

Lots of sanding and shaping in store, any tips and constructive comments welcome! ---on that note: after the Bondo is done, it has to be sealed before primer and paint--right? Thanks in advance!

Vehicles
      10-04-2011 04:52 PM #34
      Its been a while.....

I have been crazy busy, but have found time here and there to get some work done. My buddy steve is a Bondo champ---so that helps!

Afew progress pics:

Fenders pulled last week in preperation for primer and paint.......though some touch-up was still needed to the Bondo work

First coat of tinted primer was shot on the Bondo work---revealed some spots that needed more work.

Today---Final primer coat (pre-sanding) was sprayed, other ruff spots on the radiator support were given attention. Base coat and clear FINALLY get sprayed next Tuesday!

From disconnecting hoses and wires, yanking the motor, removing permanenant bracketry, welding seems and holes, removing seem sealer, striping old paint, running Bondo, sanding, and priming------there is no less than 100 hours in this "Mini-shave" prior to paint. With every hour spent, I gain new found respect and admiration for the guys with dope-ass MK1's who have put in so much time, effort, and money to have such a unique & swag-tastic ride

Pics of painted bay next week----thanks for looking, and for keeping me motivated

35. Member
      Vehicles
      1980 rabbit caddy
      10-04-2011 05:33 PM #35
      You're doing a great job with this cant wait to see the out come

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast