Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Scion iQ priced from $15,995*

1. 07-14-2011 12:06 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      Major inner conflict going on here between your quote and your signature.
      Truth.

But don't you really want a big stack of pancakes now?

Bowtie wearing, tattooed, Mini driver

Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Yeah, I've bypassed y'all and go straight to r/cars.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      07-14-2011 12:09 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Hybrid View Post
      Can't tell if serious....

Smart IS made by Mercedes.....
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

3. Member
      Vehicles
      02 GLI
      07-14-2011 12:11 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You can sleep in a car, but you can't track a house!

Vehicles
      98 BMW M3
      07-14-2011 12:15 AM #54
      Thats too bad, I kind of like this car. The 12-13k price range would have been perfect.

Vehicles
      07-14-2011 12:17 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by esrballa View Post
      Thats too bad, I kind of like this car. The 12-13k price range would have been perfect.
      Name a brand new car in the US that comes equally or better equipped for less (msrp + dest).
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

6. Banned
      07-14-2011 12:17 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Holy crap that's expensive. They'll sell like 14 of them.
      Barrett Jackson.

7. 07-14-2011 12:24 AM #57
      Name a brand new car in the US that comes equally or better equipped for less (msrp + dest).
      Sorry man, this country still buys cars by the pound. This thing is ridiculous as anything but a city runabout and is a shockingly poor value for an economical car. Too dated to be taken as some kind of styling statement, offers nothing, literally, over competitors in its class. As for it's standard features, watch them disappear in 6-12 months to get the base price down.

Me? I'd take the other Japanese Co disposable econobox with a real trunk an A/C for a cool 5k less.
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

8. 07-14-2011 12:25 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
      Truth.

But don't you really want a big stack of pancakes now?
      Of course. Food of the Gods. Click click bloody click pancakes.
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

Vehicles
      lots of them
      07-14-2011 12:31 AM #59
      does anyone make decent looking cars anymore?!
      Queens 718

10. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07-14-2011 12:42 AM #60
      Sorry man, this country still buys cars by the pound. This thing is ridiculous as anything but a city runabout and is a shockingly poor value for an economical car. Too dated to be taken as some kind of styling statement, offers nothing, literally, over competitors in its class. As for it's standard features, watch them disappear in 6-12 months to get the base price down.

Me? I'd take the other Japanese Co disposable econobox with a real trunk an A/C for a cool 5k less.
      If TCL agrees that this car is a bad value- it will surely be a hot seller.

And this car's sales success - like most small cars - really depends on the price of gas.
      If gas prices go up again later this years, this car will sell well.

And no- I would not buy this car.
      I like clutch pedals.

Vehicles
      Yellow 1970 Beetle & Yellow Rush 2012 Beetle 2.5L Tiptronic
      07-14-2011 12:56 AM #61
      I'd like to know more...

I see a 1 liter, 1.3 liter and a 1.4 diesel available. I also see manual and cvt options. I figure were getting a the cvt but which engine and what's the difference?
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

12. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07-14-2011 01:05 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by eunos94 View Post
      I'd like to know more...

I see a 1 liter, 1.3 liter and a 1.4 diesel available. I also see manual and cvt options. I figure were getting a the cvt but which engine and what's the difference?
      I think the US Scion iQ only gets the 1.3 liter gas and CVT.

... Wondering if you fit?

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      07-14-2011 01:14 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvo_D View Post
      Fiat 500 over this phone-booth looking piece, especially for the price.
      I am currently driving a (rented) Fiat 500 and tend to agree. The iQ's mileage would have to be truly stellar to make a difference - but who is driving these so many miles/year that it really matters?

The 500 I am driving also has automatic everything, red brake calipers behind aluminum rims, satellite radio, and a sunroof. and a nice interior. I am not familiar with the base level pricing and value on these small cute cars - but don't most of them come with decent base equipment? Not sure the iQ would really stand out, there.

Once US Americans step outside the overwhelmingly present price/volume attitude, my guess is that $1,000 here or there anyway is less important than practicality, a nice interior, and the (somewhat ill-defined) cuteness factor.

Although I have to say, from the looks and questions I am getting, my anecdotal experience is the 500 seems to attract most attention outside a disappointing gap in the 20-40 year old range...

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2009 Subaru WRX, 2003 Subaru Baja
      07-14-2011 01:26 AM #64
      Sorry man, this country still buys cars by the pound.
      Agreed, and that's our loss. Certainly this car isn't for everyone and I think it's amiss to compare it to the Mazda 2, Yaris, Fit, cars with 4 seats and a good size trunk. It's not the same buyer. Instead look to the buyers of the Fiat 500, smart, and Mini Coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by eunos94 View Post
      I'd like to know more...

Autoblog (reporting from Toyota press release) says 1.3 liter with CVT. Let's say 98hp, 1900 lbs and you're talking 0-60 at 13 seconds, about a second quicker than the smart fortwo.
      Do not be persecuted by the pompous fedora, balanced by the equilibrium, fortified by the
      government's inability to eradicate, or foreshadow—taken from the Hebrew word: foreskin

15. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07-14-2011 01:30 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by bmann View Post
      Autoblog (reporting from Toyota press release) says 1.3 liter with CVT. Let's say 98hp, 1900 lbs and you're talking 0-60 at 13 seconds, about a second quicker than the smart fortwo.
      Why not drop in the 2nd gen Prius's Atkinson cycle 1.5 liter?

16. Banned
      07-14-2011 01:31 AM #66
      Wow, just wow.

This over priced gimmick has a 1.3L and you cannot get it with a stick.

That is simply stupid, even in the US. Small engines need a stick to be more flexible and practical.

The more I learn about this overpriced toy the less I like it.

Vehicles
      07-14-2011 01:47 AM #67
      Man yells at cloud

Do not be persecuted by the pompous fedora, balanced by the equilibrium, fortified by the
      government's inability to eradicate, or foreshadow—taken from the Hebrew word: foreskin

Vehicles
      07-14-2011 01:57 AM #68
      I think the US Scion iQ only gets the 1.3 liter gas and CVT.

... Wondering if you fit?
      Recipe for success.
      Take 1 450lb 6'5" German and...

Smoke this

generously apply this

And you get this
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

Vehicles
      07-14-2011 01:59 AM #69
      The only real issue with comfort in the smart was that my leg rested against the shifter and the parking brake left an impression on my thigh that I can now use to keep my 12" Subway meatball sub warm until lunch. Oh hell who am I kidding I've never had a sub survive the trip home.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

Vehicles
      07-14-2011 03:06 AM #70
      Go with the Cold Cut Trio.

07-14-2011 04:35 AM #71
      15,995? maybe for this..

22. 07-14-2011 05:00 AM #72
      Ahhhh....TCL

- Why won't [insert manufacturer] sell this [insert sub compact] in the US? Totally unfair, they would sell bucket loads, especially with a diesel and a manual box.

Car introduced at a price that allows for a profit

- Jesus man, its hella expensive, this car should have been like [insert cost price - 40%]. why would I buy this over [insert larger economy car]? I just don't get it. Another screw up by [insert manufacturer]

--------

Like most things, cars have a fixed cost (absolute basics for a car) and the variable costs (size, equipment, quality, spec etc). TCL seems to think if you reduce the size of the car by 20%, you reduce the price by that or more. Its bollocks. You can only get the base cost down so much before you have to go to mad steps. The Tata Nano is proof of this - to get it so cheap it has no bootlid, for gods sake. The Citroen C1 has a tailgate that IS the rear window and the parcel shelf is held by one string.

Its impossible for an IQ to be half the price of a slightly larger rival simply because its half the size.

Unrealistic expectations.

Vehicles
      2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
      07-14-2011 06:17 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Mikedav View Post
      Ahhhh....TCL

Its impossible for an IQ to be half the price of a slightly larger rival simply because its half the size.

But should it cost -more- than a considerably larger rival?
      "We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
      - Plato

24. 07-14-2011 06:40 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Turq View Post
      But should it cost -more- than a considerably larger rival?
      If its better equipped, if the R&D for the packaging was more expensive, if the materials are better quality....sure. Why is a Boxster more than an F350? Extreme example perhaps, but highlights that size is one component of the mix.

Vehicles
      07-14-2011 06:52 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Mikedav View Post
      If its better equipped, if the R&D for the packaging was more expensive, if the materials are better quality....sure. Why is a Boxster more than an F350? Extreme example perhaps, but highlights that size is one component of the mix.
      We live in a land where peoples houses don't have to touch. Where people have front yards bigger than your "gardens" (we call them back yards) and most people live 10+ miles from work because we sprawl not stack. We've got room to spare.

You see once upon a time we lived on this tiny island with evil overlords. One day we escaped to this gigantic continent, gave the natives small pox and called it home. We're cool like that and like our space. If you want us to go small you have to make it worth our while by saving us BIG money.

This is why the Metro was a success. Why the Yugo even though it was horrific sold oodles and why Hyundai can now charge $70,000 in the USA without getting laughed at. They knew the lesson that Americans can't pass up a bargain. Price it low enough and people will buy it just because "OMG can you believe I got all this car for just $$$$".

At $7999 the iQ could get 25mpg, have a top speed of 70mph and go 0-60 in 18 seconds and we would STILL buy it just because it's cheap.

The End
      Last edited by eunos94; 07-14-2011 at 06:55 AM.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast