Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Scion iQ priced from $15,995*

1. 07-14-2011 07:15 PM #101
      A bit pricey for what it is; why not just get the new Yaris?
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

2. Banned
      07-14-2011 07:52 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by VW1.8Tsunami View Post
      Market share can be more important than profit margins in respect to long term goals. The practice of selling a product at a loss to gain market share is not an unheard of practice. IIRC, fuji film and toyota (prius) both did just that.

That's the problem with most US based businesses or divisions of other companies.

They REFUSE to look at the long term health and vision that will benefit the company for years to come.

Instead these short term obsessed executive nimrods just keep right on doing the same old stupid things over and over and over again.

3. 07-15-2011 07:05 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by 302W View Post
      Eh, I'm not sure you fully appreciate the pricing issue here. The IQ is a 1000 pounds cheaper than the cheapest 500 in Britain, while the iQ will be $400 more than the cheapest 500 in America. And I bet the 500 in Britain can be had with less options and power than here.
      Could be due to exchange rate fluctuations between the $ and the Yen vs £ and the Yen? Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by eunos94 View Post
      Why the Yugo even though it was horrific sold oodles and why Hyundai can now charge $70,000 in the USA without getting laughed at. They knew the lesson that Americans can't pass up a bargain. Price it low enough and people will buy it just because "OMG can you believe I got all this car for just $$$$".
      Ignoring the juvenile rhetoric, for me this is the problem.

In the NA market, small will always mean economy / cheap / basic - downsizing is seen as the ultimate compromise, and if you're going to do it then it needs to be seriously cheap. No value whatsoever is placed on the iQs packaging, for example, because there are few places where that would be useful. In Tokyo, on the other hand, this may be its greatest selling point (a 4 seated car in a tiny footprint).

If this is the prevailing attitude, then compacts like the iQ and 500 (which are 'premium' small cars as apposed to, say, a Toyota Aygo or a Fiat Panda) are a mistake in NA. They Should sell a stripper spec $8,500 Aygo instead. Rear glass is the hatch, rear doors designed tom eliminate the need for rear wings....etc etc. Cheap.

Vehicles
      2014 FIAT 500 Abarth
      07-15-2011 08:10 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Cutandpaste View Post

Then again, these micro cars get pretty crappy MPG considering the size and weight. They get 30-35 MPG. I checked out the Fiat 500 and while neat/cute, the price (over 20k for the model I would get) and MPG (32 or so MPG) make my head scratch. Makes no sense to me.
      ]
      actually manual trans 500s are returning 40+ mpg in real world driving conditions.

if you are looking at the auto version then you should ask yourself if you are more concerned with convenience than economy.

offering the iQ with no manual trans is ****ing ponderous.

Vehicles
      Yellow 1970 Beetle & Yellow Rush 2012 Beetle 2.5L Tiptronic
      07-15-2011 08:26 AM #105
      If Toyota could sell the Aygo for $7499 stripped to the bones and nicely equipped with automatic, A/C and premium sound (mp3 cd player) for $8999 or less. It could succeed. Now if they could only do that pricing with the Yaris they'd sell as many as they could build.

However the Aygo has a more playful attitude in it's corporate face. It has a name built for a cool ad campaign similar to the old "hi" Neon ads. Has potential if they also include the 3 door (the $7499 one charge $500 more for the more door).

However if they renamed it something oh.. like.. hmm... maybe.. Tercel? It could have more potential with Toyota for lifers. I know the Yaris would technically be the Tercel but who besides us knows that?
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      07-15-2011 09:00 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnin8r View Post
      actually manual trans 500s are returning 40+ mpg in real world driving conditions.

if you are looking at the auto version then you should ask yourself if you are more concerned with convenience than economy.

A manual transmission probably can't fit given the size constraints. Same reason why the Smart doesn't have a manual.

Vehicles
      07-15-2011 09:28 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      A manual transmission probably can't fit given the size constraints. Same reason why the Smart doesn't have a manual.

It's offered with a manual in the ROW. With three engine choices. A 1 liter, 1.3 liter and even a 1.4 liter diesel. Only the petrols are offered with the CVT.

Truth be told a computer controlled CVT is an ideal match with such a small car. It has less parasitic drag (retains more power) and can be optimized for economy, power, large loads etc. They are really clever little boxes. The smart would be infinetly better with a CVT than it's overly balky single clutch automatic manual which in fact takes up MORE room than a straight manual would have.

I remember reading an article in Autobild when the smart first came out (old version) where they drove a pre production manual version. It took 8 seconds off the 0-60 time of the 40hp diesel but Mercedes decided it didn't click with it's image of modern high tech effortless city living. So they ditched it. I read another article where they estimated that the 70hp gen 2 smart fortwo with a proper 5 speed should be hitting sub 10 second 0-62 times. With a CVT I'm sure it would do the same.

I'd have bought that smart. 0-60 in 10 seconds, 45+mpg due to infinite gearing in a small package that could be made to handle with just the addition of a rear roll bar.
      Last edited by eunos94; 07-15-2011 at 09:37 AM.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

Vehicles
      2013 Range Rover Evoque
      07-15-2011 09:48 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Cutandpaste View Post
      I understand the pricing and the engineering behind it. The IQ is a packaging marvel. It is still hard for me to understand that it will be 15-20k. One reason the Versa sells so well is its not uppity, its cheap, basic and people want/need that.

Then again, these micro cars get pretty crappy MPG considering the size and weight. They get 30-35 MPG. I checked out the Fiat 500 and while neat/cute, the price (over 20k for the model I would get) and MPG (32 or so MPG) make my head scratch. Makes no sense to me.

Even today, the Beetle has gotten now more expensive and more uppity. I think its stupid. The Beetle should be IMO, a bare bones car for people that want something different and cheap at around 10-12k.

I really was interested in the IQ until I saw pricing and the MPG. I do love this though
      Yeah the whole microcar class in the USA just doesn't seem to make sense yet. One would think it would slot in below the subcompact class in price and offer similar, if not slightly better mpg. If it's not bringing the cutesy factor like the MINI and 500, I just don't see Americans taking one over an almost comparably-equipped subcompact or even a stripper compact. I understand manufacturers need to make a profit, but if there really is so little room in the sub-$20,000 new car market in the US, then think smarter about it. Probably the reason why GM has delayed the Spark for so long - if they can't price it at the minimum $3,000 less than the Sonic the why bother bringing it over. The Versa may be a turdbox, but it's been the only good attempt at solving this situation. If only Nissan would make a competitive Sentra range, it would be the perfect plan for handling this market.

I'm not banned but PhysberVW doesn't like intelligent Lexus owners to stand up for the brand
      Vehicles
      Lexus
      07-15-2011 01:45 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnin8r View Post

40 MPG+? Is this going downhill? That is a pretty big jump compared to the EPA rating. Its good news but not sure i believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRaavv View Post
      Yeah the whole microcar class in the USA just doesn't seem to make sense yet. One would think it would slot in below the subcompact class in price and offer similar, if not slightly better mpg. If it's not bringing the cutesy factor like the MINI and 500, I just don't see Americans taking one over an almost comparably-equipped subcompact or even a stripper compact. I understand manufacturers need to make a profit, but if there really is so little room in the sub-$20,000 new car market in the US, then think smarter about it. Probably the reason why GM has delayed the Spark for so long - if they can't price it at the minimum $3,000 less than the Sonic the why bother bringing it over. The Versa may be a turdbox, but it's been the only good attempt at solving this situation. If only Nissan would make a competitive Sentra range, it would be the perfect plan for handling this market.
      Pretty much agree here.

10. 07-15-2011 01:49 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      There are no transmission constraints. The Aston Martin Cygnet comes w/ a choice of a CVT or 6-speed. Hence, the IQ should be able to have a manual tranny.

See.

BTW, this is an awesome color:

I'm not banned but PhysberVW doesn't like intelligent Lexus owners to stand up for the brand
      Vehicles
      Lexus
      07-15-2011 02:07 PM #111
      If Ferrai and Lambo are dropping manuals well don't expect Toyota to keep them Yeah its great if there was a manual and no one would buy it.

12. 07-15-2011 05:51 PM #112
      I guess at some point, there was a supercharger available.

But, then again, none of the current Scion line is aspirated.

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota iQ GRMN
      07-15-2011 06:48 PM #113
      Power Enterprises makes a supercharger kit for the 1.33L iQs.

Only problem is that every time I open their website my wallet jumps off the table and runs out the door.

http://power-enterprise.co.jp/rotrex/rotrex_iq1300.html

16k is cheap compared to how much the car is selling for in the rest of the world.

I understand your complaints about the no m/t thing though...

14. Banned
      07-15-2011 07:35 PM #114
      If Toyota could sell the Aygo for $7499 stripped to the bones and nicely equipped with automatic, A/C and premium sound (mp3 cd player) for $8999 or less. It could succeed. Now if they could only do that pricing with the Yaris they'd sell as many as they could build.
      ?
      If Toyota would sell that Aygo here for 7500$, I'd be a instant buyer.

Forgetting the stupid acceleration issue.

You get great toyota reliability, durability, excellent mpgs, and a super price...!

You are right they would sell tons of these things in the USA.

Considering the economy now is the time they should offer just that.

Vehicles
      07-15-2011 07:41 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by bc View Post
      Power Enterprises makes a supercharger kit for the 1.33L iQs.

Only problem is that every time I open their website my wallet jumps off the table and runs out the door.

http://power-enterprise.co.jp/rotrex/rotrex_iq1300.html
      Less than 25% hp bump isn't really impressive for a supercharger... and really unimpressive for THAT price. Does it come with a rape kit so that the police can track them down after?
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

Vehicles
      2012 Kia Rio5 6MT, 2012 Dodge Caravan
      07-15-2011 07:45 PM #116
      what is my incentive to buy this over a bigger car? I dont think small cars are necessary. Especially not for me. But even if you need a small car in the city, why is the IQ taking market share? Give us small electric appliances. Ride a motorbike. Or take public transit. Im sorry but the only people who will buy this stupid car are people who want an image on wheels.

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2009 Subaru WRX, 2003 Subaru Baja
      07-15-2011 07:54 PM #117

However the Aygo has a more playful attitude in it's corporate face. It has a name built for a cool ad campaign similar to the old "hi" Neon ads. Has potential if they also include the 3 door (the $7499 one charge $500 more for the more door).

However if they renamed it something oh.. like.. hmm... maybe.. Tercel? It could have more potential with Toyota for lifers. I know the Yaris would technically be the Tercel but who besides us knows that?
      A new car for $7500? Are you sure you aren't thinking of a 5 to 6 year old used car?
      Do not be persecuted by the pompous fedora, balanced by the equilibrium, fortified by the
      government's inability to eradicate, or foreshadow—taken from the Hebrew word: foreskin

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2009 Subaru WRX, 2003 Subaru Baja
      07-15-2011 07:55 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by mobile363 View Post
      what is my incentive to buy this over a bigger car? I dont think small cars are necessary. Especially not for me. But even if you need a small car in the city, why is the IQ taking market share? Give us small electric appliances. Ride a motorbike. Or take public transit. Im sorry but the only people who will buy this stupid car are people who want an image on wheels.
      The same could be said of people who buy cars larger than they need.
      Do not be persecuted by the pompous fedora, balanced by the equilibrium, fortified by the
      government's inability to eradicate, or foreshadow—taken from the Hebrew word: foreskin

Vehicles
      07-15-2011 08:01 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by bmann View Post
      The same could be said of people who buy cars larger than they need.
      well, i dont think so really. sure 99% of the time I dont have passengers in my car. But lots of times i put big things in my car. If you have this small car, you will have a hard time fitting your groceries in. Will likely require a second car.

I guess though if i did have a lot of money, i could have this car for driving into the city. In that way it almost seems like a luxury class car. I cant see how people can get by with this as their only car. I mean, what can actually fit in the back? Not much!

Vehicles
      1993 mercedes 190E sport line
      07-15-2011 08:07 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by Ben.Reilly View Post
      You have to have a low IQ, to buy that car!

Vehicles
      07-15-2011 08:09 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by mobile363 View Post
      well, i dont think so really. sure 99% of the time I dont have passengers in my car. But lots of times i put big things in my car. If you have this small car, you will have a hard time fitting your groceries in. Will likely require a second car.

I guess though if i did have a lot of money, i could have this car for driving into the city. In that way it almost seems like a luxury class car. I cant see how people can get by with this as their only car. I mean, what can actually fit in the back? Not much!

If it's only you in the car 99% of the time then I imagine it's mostly you going shopping. So why the hell do you need all that room for groceries? The seats fold down and there is ample room for several weeks worth of groceries for a family of 4.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

22. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      07-15-2011 08:12 PM #122
      I do think a lighter interior would help the car feel nicer/bigger inside.
      Maybe a two tone interior like the old Aveo?

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Vehicles
      07-15-2011 08:14 PM #123
      If it's only you in the car 99% of the time then I imagine it's mostly you going shopping. So why the hell do you need all that room for groceries? The seats fold down and there is ample room for several weeks worth of groceries for a family of 4.
      well yes, but i moved 90% of my belongings when i moved into my condo. Didn't need to rent or borrow a truck. I also buy furniture and bring it home in my car. I recently drove 3 hours to an ikea and bought stuff and brought it home. its the little stuff like that.

and i have gone off with 3 passengers and luggage to the airport. That cant be done in an IQ. So yes, IQ is clearly for people with IQ or no friends. Sorry. I would love one. if my life was boring and straight forward.

Vehicles
      FiST / ST3
      07-15-2011 09:40 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by bmann View Post
      A new car for $7500? Are you sure you aren't thinking of a 5 to 6 year old used car?
      Versa 1.6S models were selling for $7900 around here brand new.

25. Banned
      07-15-2011 09:54 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by MustacheGT View Post
      Versa 1.6S models were selling for $7900 around here brand new.
      America needs this kind of price point, NOW!

It would be nice to see more than one model at that price of course.

See the old way of thinking the other poster doesn't realize that it is not 1995 or 2003 anymore....
      The economy for the masses is terrible, I'd argue it is the "Great Recession" , sure the rich can continue to buy as they always have but most people do not have the high quality jobs or the ability to get the credit they once would have a decade ago or more, if many folks are looking at buying new the price MUST be lower, significantly lower in the years to come. 7500 or 8k seems about right for new entry level new cars today.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast