Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Scion iQ priced from $15,995*

07-31-2011 05:43 AM #141
      Video reviews are out:

The bulk TP test is impressive. The little nook behind the "rear" seats is a nice touch. I would like to know more about the airbag under the front seat cushion Maybe the bag is under the front edge, the thigh portion of the cushion so you won't submarine under the belt during a crash?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Autoguid.../1/mYXrbjp5irQ

The Smart Four Two still has an edge in a couple of areas. The Smart is still smaller so it's easier to park than the iQ. A certain parking garage chain in Manhattan has a deal where all Smarts gets a automatic 50% discount. Also, the Smart has replaceable plastic body panels. A huge plus in a urban environment. I'm sure insurance companies like that too.

07-31-2011 05:53 AM #142
      Looks like the seat cushion airbag prevents you from sliding forward or submarining under the seatbelt:

And the rear curtain airbag:

3. 07-31-2011 06:30 AM #143
      Its very pricey for what it offers.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      07-31-2011 07:46 AM #144
      TRD supercharger kit available?

07-31-2011 07:58 AM #145
      I'd prefer manual and I'm interested in driving it.

6. 07-31-2011 10:12 AM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      Video reviews are out:

The bulk TP test is impressive. The little nook behind the "rear" seats is a nice touch. I would like to know more about the airbag under the front seat cushion Maybe the bag is under the front edge, the thigh portion of the cushion so you won't submarine under the belt during a crash?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Autoguid.../1/mYXrbjp5irQ

The Smart Four Two still has an edge in a couple of areas. The Smart is still smaller so it's easier to park than the iQ. A certain parking garage chain in Manhattan has a deal where all Smarts gets a automatic 50% discount. Also, the Smart has replaceable plastic body panels. A huge plus in a urban environment. I'm sure insurance companies like that too.
      1:10 - 1:15, the other video stated you can get one six foot male in the back and still have a 6 foot male upfront as well. So, I'm confused as to how he says it's not enough room.

09-03-2011 12:29 PM #147

Vehicles
      '98 L36 Regal
      03-01-2012 09:11 PM #148
      Looks like they are just now hitting the Midwest as I just saw one on the lot of the local Toyota/Scion dealer on my way home from work.

They have 2 in stock:
      Base for $16,330
      Better-equipped with CD player and alloy wheels for $18,079

Seems like that puts them above Yaris prices
      "Sometimes wrong is worth the funny." - Billy Gardell

9. 03-01-2012 09:15 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by Assle View Post
      Looks like they are just now hitting the Midwest as I just saw one on the lot of the local Toyota/Scion dealer on my way home from work.

They have 2 in stock:
      Base for $16,330
      Better-equipped with CD player and alloy wheels for $18,079

Seems like that puts them above Yaris prices
      The interior is a MAJOR step down from Fiat or Mini or the Sonic. Really disappointing. Otherwise it's a great little design.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      03 Bora Variant 1.8T, 07 Golf 2.5, 08 Polo 9n3 1.4TDI, 14 Tiguan S 6mt
      03-01-2012 09:19 PM #150
      I went to the dealer and sat in one. What a piece of trash. And especially for the price. Interior is horrible, not ergonomic what so ever. Fiat 500 is a lot more. Just dont know who would buy it .

Vehicles
      '98 L36 Regal
      03-01-2012 09:20 PM #151
      Mini is substantially more money and the Sonic isn't as small. I do wonder how it drives compared to the 500, though. I know the interior is an attractive one, though I've not driven the 500 so maybe the seats are as non-supportive as people make them out to be.
      "Sometimes wrong is worth the funny." - Billy Gardell

12. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      03-01-2012 09:25 PM #152
      Paying $15,995 for the IQ would make me feel like a Nissan Murano

13. 03-01-2012 09:27 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by Assle View Post
      Mini is substantially more money and the Sonic isn't as small. I do wonder how it drives compared to the 500, though. I know the interior is an attractive one, though I've not driven the 500 so maybe the seats are as non-supportive as people make them out to be.
      If I were to tell you that the iQ's interior looked like total and utter sh*t, I would be accused of being too kind. So if that is important to you, look at the other cars. The Fit is also a MAJOR step up.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      03-01-2012 09:39 PM #154
      $18k for this just made my goddamn eyelid twitch. For what earthly reason would anyone one go for this over the 500, let alone the the half dozen B-segment cars that cost exactly the same and offer more of nearly everything?
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

15. 03-01-2012 10:30 PM #155
      I like them, the exterior design anyway. I'm going to have to go look at one and see what the fuss is about with the interior. I would never consider the 500. The Sonic is pretty interesting though.
      2011 A4
      2004 Jetta Wagon

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      03-01-2012 10:59 PM #156
      Sat in one at the autoshow, its amazingly roomy......looks pretty good. But really needs that manual...CVT is a major meh...

Vehicles
      a 1966 air cooled VW
      03-01-2012 10:59 PM #157
      lol, and the next size car up in the Scion lineup, the xD, starts at a whopping $70 more and can actually carry passengers and cargo, has more power, a manual gearbox, and probably gets the same MPG.

1. No manual no care
      2. Call me when this thing tops out at $12K.
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      You bitches fight more than a bunch of high school girls at the clearance rack of the local Forever 21.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Japanese dicks are too small to trip over

Vehicles
      Lexus Hybrid, '14 Panda Smart
      03-01-2012 11:30 PM #158
      Why is this more expensive than Yaris?

19. Swallow Doretti
      03-01-2012 11:32 PM #159
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      $18k for this just made my goddamn eyelid twitch. For what earthly reason would anyone one go for this over the 500, let alone the the half dozen B-segment cars that cost exactly the same and offer more of nearly everything?
      Come visit me in DC and I'll show you. It's basically the same reason you'd buy a smart, except without the suck.

Unfortunately the number of people who will buy a car based on its parking size is pretty small. But on the flip side, if gas prices go to $5 a gallon, Scion will sell a TON of them to people too stupid they could get a much bigger car for the same price that gets almost the same mileage.

20. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      03-02-2012 12:45 PM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by czykvw View Post
      15,995? maybe for this..

Looks tempting without looking too ricy. I hate to think about the price tag though.

Vehicles
      2012 Kia Rio5 6MT, 2012 Dodge Caravan
      03-02-2012 01:15 PM #161
      I actually like this car, but it costs way too much. I would consider one if it was half the price. No joke

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      03-02-2012 01:21 PM #162
      ^Not to burst your bubble but the way the USD$ and the Yen¥ is headed, that simply will never happen.

Vehicles
      2014 FIAT 500 Abarth
      03-02-2012 01:55 PM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      1. No manual no care
      this x eleventy billion.

Vehicles
      Haldex AWD
      03-02-2012 02:11 PM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      Why is this more expensive than a Smart Car?
      Fixed!?
      Quote Originally Posted by KyleC
      ...Subaru has proven beyond a reasonable doubt any round, rubber-ish object that holds a bit of air...will get you through the snow just fine, but only if it is attached to a vehicle with AWD/4WD.
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Never under estimate car buying public's insatiable appetite for plastic cladding.

Vehicles
      2014 FIAT 500 Abarth
      03-02-2012 02:38 PM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
      ^Not to burst your bubble but the way the USD$ and the Yen¥ is headed, that simply will never happen.
      dollar to yen right now is the strongest its been in the last 9 months actually

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      03-02-2012 06:35 PM #166
      Come visit me in DC and I'll show you. It's basically the same reason you'd buy a smart, except without the suck.

Unfortunately the number of people who will buy a car based on its parking size is pretty small. But on the flip side, if gas prices go to $5 a gallon, Scion will sell a TON of them to people too stupid they could get a much bigger car for the same price that gets almost the same mileage.
      Your cynicism is unimpeachable.

I still think that, outside MAYBE the cores of a handful of major cities, this is irrelevant.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

27. 03-02-2012 08:45 PM #167
      Holy crap. I was sort of considering one of these for my work car but I just watched that video and it takes almost 12 seconds to get to 60!? That's crazy. I know the motor only makes 95hp or whatever it is but that's crazy. It only weighs 2100 lbs.
      2011 A4
      2004 Jetta Wagon

28. 03-07-2012 05:03 PM #168
      Really interested in buying... went to Scion "Build My Own" page.... NO MANUAL....
      Really Toyota? No manual? it's the only car in the lineup that doesn't offer a manual! AND it's the entry level model! WTF?!
      NO CARE ANYMORE!
      "We are each free to believe what we want, and it's my view that my simplest explanation is: THERE IS NO GOD, no one created the universe and no one directs our fate." - Stephen Hawkings

29. Swallow Doretti
      03-07-2012 05:33 PM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Your cynicism is unimpeachable.
      It's what makes me attractive to the opposite sex.

30. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-07-2012 05:40 PM #170
      It's what makes me attractive to the opposite sex.
      I see what you did there.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

31. 03-07-2012 11:19 PM #171
      Welp, I got one.

And to blow your minds even more I traded my RX8 in on it.

Went out test driving econo cars and just liked it.

Lots of room for room up front for driver and passenger. It can fit 3 adults thanks to lots of leg room up front and a passenger seat the that slides way up. 4 full size adults could be done for a quick trip.

It drives much better than I thought it would, the electric power steering in good, has better feel than the Kia's I have driven. It's got some dive when on the brakes but corners flatter and more composed than I expected. It's gets choppy on the rough roads but any super short wheelbase car is going to have that.

Interior is subject to personal opinion, HVAC controls are easy to use while wearing gloves, base stereo has USB input, 3.5mm aux input, blue tooth hands free calling and music streaming, HD radio and CD/MP3/WMA.

Other than just saying I like it, it is a little hard finding any stellar selling points on paper to impress the arm chair dash strokers of internet car forums but it takes me back to being 16 and having my first car. It's qurky, slow but not dangerous, 0-60 in 12 seconds sounds like forever and a day but its not bad and plenty for normal driving. Sure it doesn't take turns like the RX8 but I get a big grin on my face going through them with the feeling at being closer to the limit but at a much more reasonible speed.

A five or six speed would be more fun, but the CVT does ok. In drive the throttle feels very muted and is setup for max MPG but flicking the shifter over to sport sharpens the throttle and holds rpm up more in the power range making the car very peppy when it needs to be.

The whole idea of buying this car was to save some money and have reliable transportation under warranty, filled up for the first time and the pump clicked off at $25 bucks. I will be saving about $100-120 in gas every month and another $25 in insurance. 95% of the time its just me driving alone or just the wife and I. I can fit the car seats much better in the back of the IQ than the narrow bucket seats of the RX8 when I got to pick up my nieces.

Ive got a motorcycle for summer fun and a old pickup for dirty work and now a fun strange little car to drive when I cant ride.

32. 03-07-2012 11:46 PM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by evilnissan View Post
      Welp, I got one.

And to blow your minds even more I traded my RX8 in on it.

Went out test driving econo cars and just liked it.

Lots of room for room up front for driver and passenger. It can fit 3 adults thanks to lots of leg room up front and a passenger seat the that slides way up. 4 full size adults could be done for a quick trip.

It drives much better than I thought it would, the electric power steering in good, has better feel than the Kia's I have driven. It's got some dive when on the brakes but corners flatter and more composed than I expected. It's gets choppy on the rough roads but any super short wheelbase car is going to have that.

Interior is subject to personal opinion, HVAC controls are easy to use while wearing gloves, base stereo has USB input, 3.5mm aux input, blue tooth hands free calling and music streaming, HD radio and CD/MP3/WMA.

Other than just saying I like it, it is a little hard finding any stellar selling points on paper to impress the arm chair dash strokers of internet car forums but it takes me back to being 16 and having my first car. It's qurky, slow but not dangerous, 0-60 in 12 seconds sounds like forever and a day but its not bad and plenty for normal driving. Sure it doesn't take turns like the RX8 but I get a big grin on my face going through them with the feeling at being closer to the limit but at a much more reasonible speed.

A five or six speed would be more fun, but the CVT does ok. In drive the throttle feels very muted and is setup for max MPG but flicking the shifter over to sport sharpens the throttle and holds rpm up more in the power range making the car very peppy when it needs to be.

The whole idea of buying this car was to save some money and have reliable transportation under warranty, filled up for the first time and the pump clicked off at $25 bucks. I will be saving about $100-120 in gas every month and another $25 in insurance. 95% of the time its just me driving alone or just the wife and I. I can fit the car seats much better in the back of the IQ than the narrow bucket seats of the RX8 when I got to pick up my nieces.

Ive got a motorcycle for summer fun and a old pickup for dirty work and now a fun strange little car to drive when I cant ride.
      F the anonymous & ignorant. i checked one out a few months ago at the dealership and fell in love with the design. congrats. i'd rather drive this than an rx8.

i bet you get a lot of people asking you questions about it!

Vehicles
      '91 Volvo 740 Wagon, '86 Volvo 240DL sedan 4 speed + OD
      03-08-2012 12:02 AM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by evilnissan View Post
      Welp, I got one.
      Have you driven a Fit, Fiesta, Focus, Sonic, or Mazda2? I really don't get why anybody would buy one of these outside of a dense urban area...
      Previous: 87 325e, 90 Accord Coupe, 99 Neon ACR, 91 CRX Si, 93 S-10, 00 Protege ES

34. 03-08-2012 12:04 AM #174
      Quote Originally Posted by two.twoliter View Post
      Have you driven a Fit, Fiesta, Focus, Sonic, or Mazda2? I really don't get why anybody would buy one of these outside of a dense urban area...
      cuz it looks better than any one of them. period.

35. 03-08-2012 12:37 AM #175
      Crazy price is crazy. Seriously; that's "real" car territory. It's not hard to work your way in to not only more practical economy cars but even into REAL car sized cars like a Corolla or Elantra at that price point. For $12k they'd have lines out the door. At $18k I totally am not seeing the value.
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast