Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Insan3's GTI Build

Vehicles
      98 GTI Vr6-T (Project) | 96 GTI Vr6 (SOLD) | 97 Passat Wagon Vr6 (Daily)
      07-14-2011 12:09 AM #1
      Bought the car in October 09, loved it. 1998 T-Red GTI w/ DE leftovers. CEL came on the second I rolled out of the used dealer I bought it from, knew I was in for it This is a glimpse from the two years ago, to today with my car, so if you don't want to read, look at the pics.

The day I brought it home:

Strong VR, no mechanical issues, just needed an ignition switch and 02 sensors and was good to go. Deleted res on the exhaust gave it a great sound. At the time HS and barely a part-time job didn't give me much 'play money', but I managed the little things over time like smoked side markers and eventually smoked ecodes.

Center dummies fell off

Went through 2 Jersey winters so far, and the winter won. Rust got beyond bad, and got to the point of where it wasn't structurally safe anymore.

This was after hitting a nice pothole caused by the weak pavement after the snowstorm:

Car sat for a week or so until I could drop the extra cash on a replacement panel and then labor (don't want to talk about the price) But I was far too attached to the car at this point.

All done:

Threw in my Jahre belts:

THEN the transmission went, could have avoided it, but my cheap ass didn't want to buy the bit to check the trans fluid, lesson learned But I got a used trans w/ a bonus B&M short shifter for a good deal and with the help of vortex got it all swapped and buttoned up, even got the billet shifter bushings while I was at it (SO WORTH IT).

Fogs filled with water, so this was a cheap fix to my lack of fog lights, and pretty much how the car sits today.

Now I'm hooked. Loved working on it before, but now I want more. Made the car last for another winter while I hoarded parts to rebuild the motor, along with coilovers and some go fast goodies. Also threw on some Passat bottlecaps and Inpro smoked tails. No point in installing suspension or go-fast stuff since that rust I was talking about? Got worse.

Floor is completely fked, holes everywhere and bending down on the driver side, pass side needed love too. Fenders / fender wells had holes, both rockers went bent to hell (covered by sideskirts) and rusted, hatch was rusted behind plate tub, and the gas cap started bubbling up.

THEN I found a DIY thread for the rockers, which is how I got in contact with Bob (silentdub on here) and when I can't say enough about what this guy can do with bodywork. Truly phenomenal. Awesome guy and he did an excellent job on EVERYTHING. The pics speak for themselves.

So then I got it back home, ready to swap the motor from my recently purchased 96 GTI (brother's old car, he bought a 2011 GTI so I took his mk3 off his hands, lots of motor work done).

I figure instead of taking the time to rebuild my VR, why not take one that has already been rebuilt a few months ago and swap it into the red one? Makes sense to me, so I proceed.

Crane, meet motor:

Out:

That's as far as I got for now, I'll be working on it more tomorrow so I'll keep this thread updated. Plans for this season is to give it a nice T-Red respray and get the new motor running perfect. Next season is boost. My other GTI is in the background in the last pic, You'll see me at WF

Vehicles
      2013 CW Passat 08 APR tuned BMP GTI.... B4 Passat VR Wagon... MK3 2.9 Sold.... MK4 1.8t Sold
      07-14-2011 12:27 AM #2
      hey i thought i was the only one with a SMASHED rocker
      I My MKV

I Root

InstaGram: euro_addiction

3. 07-14-2011 11:38 AM #3
      I'm glad you are happy with my bodywork. That hood had more waves than a god damn ocean. I think we got them all though.

Anyone with an MKIII with rotted rocker panels, the rockers are not the only thing rotted! The floor and other mount points are rotted too.

This car took a lot of bodywork. The two lower fenders were rotted, wheel wells had hole, wheel well lip was blasted, gas cap area was lasted.

New rear floor pans, structural support was replaced as well.

While I was working on that and waiting for stuff to dry, we went ahead and fixed all of the dings on this car. The sides look like someone played morse code down each body line.

The roof was in perfect condition and required 0 work though.
      Mad Dope Silly MK1 Love!
      WWW.MK1DUBZ.COM

Vehicles
      95 surf green two door hatchback
      07-14-2011 12:44 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by silentdub View Post
      Anyone with an MKIII with rotted rocker panels, the rockers are not the only thing rotted! The floor and other mount points are rotted too.
      How do you normally go about replacing rockers? Floors are pretty straight forward, but do you source new rockers or search for a donor car?

Vehicles
      96 Golf 83 Scirocco
      07-14-2011 12:56 PM #5
      Nice!

6. 07-14-2011 02:08 PM #6
      ECS sells replacement rocker panels. Check it out.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...ker/ES2180509/

They also sell replacement wheel arches.
      96 GTI VR6.

Vehicles
      95 surf green two door hatchback
      07-14-2011 10:35 PM #7
      $33? You ****ing kidding me?

Vehicles
      07-15-2011 12:28 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by fatboyvw View Post
      hey i thought i was the only one with a SMASHED rocker
      USED to have a smashed rocker, USED to

I'm glad you are happy with my bodywork. That hood had more waves than a god damn ocean. I think we got them all though.

This car took a lot of bodywork. The two lower fenders were rotted, wheel wells had hole, wheel well lip was blasted, gas cap area was lasted.

New rear floor pans, structural support was replaced as well.

While I was working on that and waiting for stuff to dry, we went ahead and fixed all of the dings on this car. The sides look like someone played morse code down each body line.

The roof was in perfect condition and required 0 work though.
      Can't say it enough. Phenomenal work = understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by root beer View Post
      Nice!
      And a to you for helping out in my trans thread last season.

Quote Originally Posted by LambertJohn View Post
      ECS sells replacement rocker panels. Check it out.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...ker/ES2180509/

They also sell replacement wheel arches.
      ECS didn't have them ready to be shipped when I bought mine, I got them from shermanparts for like $66 per side + shipping. It's the same brand so getting them from ECS now is a STEAL for them. Fit perfectly.

Didn't get much done today, because I decided to go to the beach instead. Managed to get the front crossmember down to check the frame rails for rust. There's some, but it's not too bad.

Vehicles
      07-17-2011 03:21 PM #9
      Got some BFI .5's at Waterfest My stock mounts are SHOT motor used to shake like a mother.

Been lazy with the car last 2 days, went fishing today Gonna take my grinder to the frame rails shortly.

Vehicles
      07-21-2011 03:08 PM #10
      Some progress. No more AC! Anyone know if I can leave the piece by the firewall open like that?

You can see the rust on frame rails, so I took it down to bare metal and hit it with rust inhibitor.

Had to get the underside of the rails also.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Porcelain Blue MK3
      07-21-2011 04:39 PM #11
      damn you really fixed this up! i REALLY need to fix my rockers, they are so rusted out just dont think i'm that experienced at welding yet to take on that task.

Looks good for all the work

Vehicles
      CC, MK3
      07-21-2011 04:48 PM #12
      this is super inspirational.
      Good work, Evan.
      and Bob, silentdub, will certainly be calling on you for body work stuff when my build starts, if ever.

13. 07-21-2011 06:00 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by tauntedmonster View Post
      How do you normally go about replacing rockers? Floors are pretty straight forward, but do you source new rockers or search for a donor car?
      Nah, klokerholk makes replacement rockers, hell they make all the replacement parts for dubs. They are located in Holland or some country like that.

The problem is, when the rockers are shot, the metal behind them is usually screwed up too. The rocker panel is just cosmetic, nothing structural about it, the steel behind it is a structure piece and you need to ensure it is good.
      Mad Dope Silly MK1 Love!
      WWW.MK1DUBZ.COM

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Porcelain Blue MK3
      07-21-2011 06:08 PM #14
      Nah, klokerholk makes replacement rockers, hell they make all the replacement parts for dubs. They are located in Holland or some country like that.

The problem is, when the rockers are shot, the metal behind them is usually screwed up too. The rocker panel is just cosmetic, nothing structural about it, the steel behind it is a structure piece and you need to ensure it is good.
      yah, i dont think its all that messed up but what do i know without cutting into it. anyways just look at afazz build thread

15. 07-21-2011 06:13 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by PKstrategy View Post
      Good work, Evan.
      and Bob, silentdub, will certainly be calling on you for body work stuff when my build starts, if ever.
      Yeah, I'm game. If anyone needs some work done, I'm in Newark De.

I work out of my house, this is a side thing. I just need whoever to plan accordingly since I only have so much space. I just got a Pontiac G5 in that hit a deer, so this is what I am working on now while rebuilding a 1.6 Diesel.

here's a link to my 1st MK3 Rocker Job. http://www.mk1dubz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642

That car took me 3 months. New Rockers, Floors, Dent/Ding removal, Shaved door handles, Shaved rear hatch, Shaved license plate area, gas filler, Shaved the side bodyline as well as the gutters on the roof, all perfectly smooth.

Oh, we also modified the hood.

The hood follows the contour of the car and covers the headlights. This took a little bit to get it right. There were two bends in it, so it took some time.

Don't even ask me how much, because you probably couldn't afford it, that entire car was a major project.

Oh, forgot to mention I also had to replace the rear QTR panel as well as the inner wheel well.
      Last edited by silentdub; 07-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.
      Mad Dope Silly MK1 Love!
      WWW.MK1DUBZ.COM

16. 07-21-2011 06:17 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by D R E A M View Post
      yah, i dont think its all that messed up but what do i know without cutting into it. anyways just look at afazz build thread
      I like what you did with the wheel well repair. Good Stuff.

Looks good.
      Mad Dope Silly MK1 Love!
      WWW.MK1DUBZ.COM

Vehicles
      07-21-2011 09:39 PM #17
      Good work, Evan.
      Thanks PK, you need to get back on to your own GTI

And Bob, that hood came out cool, I wanna see that one when it's all done.

Today I finished up all the rust on frame rails, primed and good to go. I went to take out the downpipe / exhaust and it seems my only options are cutting my exhaust and re-welding or dropping the rear beam.

Wish I could just pull the fker out

18. 07-22-2011 12:43 PM #18
      Actually Evan, the hood is done, it was actually sitting up against the wall when you were here. I should have pointed it out to you.

hell it would have been easier to just swap hoods with ya! Your hood had more waves than the ocean.
      Mad Dope Silly MK1 Love!
      WWW.MK1DUBZ.COM

Vehicles
      07-22-2011 05:39 PM #19
      Actually Evan, the hood is done, it was actually sitting up against the wall when you were here. I should have pointed it out to you.

hell it would have been easier to just swap hoods with ya! Your hood had more waves than the ocean.
      Really? I'll check it out next time (if it's still there). I wish I jumped on the $40 OEM hoods when they were still available, prob woulda saved you a ton of work. Looks just as good now though!

Replaced my steering rack boots when I did the R32 / poly control arm bushings, but the passenger side boot is all ****ed up again. So I ordered another boot and got some poly sway bar bushings while I was at it. Found out that I didn't have swaybar bushings at all That explains some really dumb noises.

Also decided to keep my current exhaust / dp on there. It's gonna be changed when I boost it next season so I'm not going through the hassle now.

Now I have to start unboxing everything I have hoarded over the winter.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      bodied s10, 2.0t girl car
      07-22-2011 06:03 PM #20
      nice

Vehicles
      95 2.0 turbo, 97 vr6
      07-22-2011 06:12 PM #21
      good work....in for this
      OG suede

I survived epic thread 2011 never forget 11/11/11
      Quote Originally Posted by vastxpunk View Post
      You have a harness you forgot to plug back in, and you want to know where it goes? Back where you found it would be my guess..

Vehicles
      07-22-2011 11:02 PM #22

Ah love me some BNIB parts, this isn't even all of it

It's 10pm and 90 degrees out, not trying to pass out under my car. I got as far as taking the passenger tire off and started removing the tie rod when I said f-it. Tomorrow is another day.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      99 civic ek
      07-23-2011 04:12 AM #23
      watching this

Vehicles
      Black Jetta MK3 & Black Jetta MK4 GLX VRSEXXX
      07-23-2011 04:42 AM #24
      any more pics of the hood process?.... apreciate it....

good luck bro

Me oh my oh me and guy oh free'er than a bird cause were rockin Ohio
      Vehicles
      97 Jetta, 95 LeBaron Convertible
      07-23-2011 04:51 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Insan3Vr6 View Post

Ah love me some BNIB parts, this isn't even all of it

It's 10pm and 90 degrees out, not trying to pass out under my car. I got as far as taking the passenger tire off and started removing the tie rod when I said f-it. Tomorrow is another day.
      the power here in north east ohio was shot for about 8 hours. be glad you weren't here trying to do this work with no ac or power whatsoever.

Vehicles
      07-23-2011 09:22 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Evo eX View Post
      watching this

Quote Originally Posted by EL CAPO View Post
      any more pics of the hood process?.... apreciate it....

good luck bro
      The boser? Not mine so I can't help you there. But Bob did my hood perfectly, this is the only pic I have right now:

Quote Originally Posted by noodlesdefyyou View Post
      the power here in north east ohio was shot for about 8 hours. be glad you weren't here trying to do this work with no ac or power whatsoever.
      I wouldn't have done work until the power came back. Having a garage is great so I'm not directly in the sun, but it's still crazy hot to do work.

Today I fought with my tie rods to get them out, no good. Due to the heat I got impatient and got out my cutting wheels Problem solved.

Then I removed the inner tie rod with the KD Tools 3312 piece, per DJR recommendation. Made removing the tie rods easy as can be.

Also started removing the struts but since I don't have air tools I realized I can't get the top bolt off without that special tool. No big deal, just need to hold off on them right now. Also got a new steering rack boot and some poly swaybar bushings today so they will go on shortly.

Vehicles
      96 Jetta 2.0, VR6 with no home.
      07-23-2011 10:00 PM #27
      a torch would have help out on that. as for the heat theres only one thing to do. reach down in ur pants and see if you have a sack hanging in between your legs. if there is a sack make sure there are balls there. if there is then heat shouldnt be an issue. what part of jerz are you from? my girl said it was pretty hot up there but im used to 130 deg so i just called her a pus. good luck with the car man. looking pretty good so far

Vehicles
      07-25-2011 09:38 PM #28
      Still waiting on my strut tool. Some pics of doing the other tie-rod though with the KD tool. It's awesome.

2 seconds to screw on the tool to the tie rod

1 second to turn and remove

Vehicles
      08-07-2011 11:18 PM #29
      Haven't had a lot of time last week to work on it. Everything I touched when the car was apart before came out very easy. Everything I didn't touch (suspension and such) was a bitch and a half to get out. I my breaker bars.

Stock suspension out:

Guess which ones gave me trouble?

Got my swaybar bushings on. I had to drop the subframe to get them in there tight (didn't plan on that) but it's done. Tomorrow I should get the control arms bolted back in. so the subframe will be done.

Took this to show off more of Bob's work, the rockers are perfect.

And my crazy dirty interior, I have some plans but the motor / body is more important

Vehicles
      CC, MK3
      08-07-2011 11:26 PM #30
      for doing work
      on my **** too, slow, but def happenin

Vehicles
      08-07-2011 11:26 PM #31
      BTW does anyone know where I can get the OEM vr6 door sills? They were adhered to my old rockers but there was no way to reuse them. I like them. I know there are some aftermarket ones available (I have them on my other GTI) but I would prefer the ones that came stock on 97-99 Vr6 GTI's.

Vehicles
      08-07-2011 11:47 PM #32
      for doing work
      on my **** too, slow, but def happenin
      Good you got started on yours PK. I want this done for H20 but I think it's gonna carry on into Fall / Winter. Doing this ONCE. So I'm not cutting corners.

I also got in contact with Orchid Euro about some cool stuff I hope to pick up in the next few weeks

Vehicles
      3 MK3 GTI VR6'''s...
      08-07-2011 11:55 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Insan3Vr6 View Post
      BTW does anyone know where I can get the OEM vr6 door sills? They were adhered to my old rockers but there was no way to reuse them. I like them. I know there are some aftermarket ones available (I have them on my other GTI) but I would prefer the ones that came stock on 97-99 Vr6 GTI's.
      1stvwparts has them
      Geld und Macht bringt korruption!!!
      Von allen je gebauten volkswagens,steht man Kopf über den rest,den mk3 golf VR6

"stop telling lies about me, and ill stop telling the truth about you"...MD.
      WWW.1stVWparts.com

Vehicles
      08-08-2011 12:00 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by ZACHER3tuning View Post
      1stvwparts has them

Do you know the part # or at least the technical term so I can find it. Sill plate?
      Last edited by Insan3Vr6; 08-08-2011 at 05:06 AM.

Vehicles
      08-11-2011 07:40 PM #35
      Small update. I still haven't gotten the control arms back in All the bolts line up except the one that goes through the bushing. Bottom half lined up, top half isn't moving for ****.

Hopefully tonight I can get it back together and get some real work done. All of this was because of those freaking swaybar bushings. Yesterday was a wasted day.

While I gave up on that I owned some more rust on the rails, all gone now. Some little spots on the underbody to get yet but that's not a big deal.

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast