Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Remote Key Fob Reprogramming

1. 07-14-2011 05:54 PM #1
      One of the key fobs for my 2005.5 Jetta has stopped opening/closing the doors. I have replaced the battery and it still doesn't work (but the red LED lights up when buttons are pressed). My spare key fob works fine. It seems that the "bad" fob has lost its programming and needs to be reset. I have tried the procedure printed in the owner's manual (which is very unclear). Also tried about five other procedures mentioned on this forum and elsewhere on the web. I have not been able to get any of them to work or even to give the expected audible horn feedback that some of them describe.

Because I have seen so many different procedures for reprogramming the fob, I am not sure which is correct, if any. Has anyone out there successfully reprogrammed a fob for a Mk V Jetta themselves and if, so, could they explain it step by step. Thanks in advance.

2. 08-03-2011 04:20 PM #2
      Bump..............I would like to know too because on my 09 passat the back up does not lock/unlock car but it will turn it on. Changed batteries in both and only one still locks/unlocks car

3. Member
      Vehicles
      I drive all Volkswagens
      08-05-2011 09:33 PM #3
      the newer remotes have a matching procedure in the owners manual

should be this: key in ignition, turn on, do not start car, shut door, use 2nd key unlock door from outside using 2nd key, do not hold it unlocked, pres unlock button on the remote once within 5 seconds of unlocking, then lock door, unlock door remove key, remove key from ignition, shut door

remote should now work

this in no way activates a new key or immobilizer system, this is only to make the keyless entry work

read more at www.sidewinderkey.com

4. 08-07-2011 07:42 PM #4
      tried above sequence and nothing. I have the new FOB that doesnt flip out like my mkIV key. On the new fob you just push the the key into the ignition.

5. 08-13-2011 02:43 PM #5
      Mark - Thanks for the advice and link, but the procedure did not work for me. To recap, I have one fob that works and one that doesn't. The non-working fob has a fresh battery and the red LED lights when any button is pressed. I have tried five different procedures from various web links as well as the one in the owner's manual to no avail. Has anyone had success with reprogramming a fob for a Jetta Mk V?

Thanks again.

Vehicles
      MKV Jetta 2.5l M5
      08-13-2011 02:52 PM #6
      I just programmed a second fob using this method- use good key in ignition, turn to run, close door, put second key in driver door handle, turn to lock, let it spring back and hold the lock button until you get a signal from the car (either the horn or the lights will sound/flash), unlock the car with the key in the handle, take key out of handle, open door, retrieve other key, use buttons on freshly programmed fob to check for functionality.

If you do something wrong in the procedure, you must wait 5 minutes or so to attempt to reprogram.
      If it sounds like sarcasm, it probably is.

7. 08-13-2011 03:54 PM #7
      Dronks - Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion. I followed the procedure exactly as you described, but I did not get any feedback (horn or lights) even after holding the lock button on the fob for 30 secs. Even after multiple attempts, the non-working fob still doesn't actuate the doors.

I wonder if the lack of feedback would indicate that my non-working fob is dead or if it could be some other reason.

Thanks again for your input.

Vehicles
      MKV Jetta 2.5l M5
      08-13-2011 06:36 PM #8
      This video is what i followed to program mine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Co2...e_gdata_player

Sorry about my incorrect instructions.
      If it sounds like sarcasm, it probably is.