VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1.8t Motor Mounts - FAQ

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      Golf MK1, Polo 9N
      08-03-2012 03:45 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by stealthmagic27 View Post
      The street Density ones are fluid filled and will "deflate" if they leak.. The track density ones do have some fluid in the bottom but it is very minimal cause its more of a solid mount. My track density engine side mount is still going strong, but I blew through 2 sets of streets.
      The fluid is not for supporting weight it is for damping. I think what you are seeing is the mounts "sag" due to permanent deflection in the rubber. That forces the fluid against the thin rubber seal at the botom eventualy splitting it.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      08-03-2012 05:45 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Dub-Nub View Post
      The bushing itself is solid and does not move. The leaking is occuring from the bottom like you stated. I got most of the fluid out. I am trying to get in touch with DLI for their mounts becuase this is the second time the Density mounts have failed me. My engine is producing too much power for them
      Density line mounts suck. i've seen tons of failures on those things. many cars not even big turbos

Quote Originally Posted by 18T_BT View Post
      that's not the case, the density line of mounts are mostly junk and have numerous failures posted on vortex
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      08-03-2012 06:25 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Injection View Post
      I have just been looking at the spring mount installation. One thing that seems odd is that is is just a coil spring. Springs are linear and have no damping so you could get excessive movement, especialy on resonance which is why you have dampers on your road springs. Also some of the highest forces are horizontal due to torque reaction and I can't see how this acomodated in the mount. If it works it works, but I just can't see how.
      Bump for answer, will need mounts soon, its either DLI Technik or BFI Stg. 1...
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      TCL 1991 edition - Can't afford a CRX, what would TCL do: Hyundai Scoupe vs. Toyota Paseo vs. Geo Storm

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      08-03-2012 06:59 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Bump for answer, will need mounts soon, its either DLI Technik or BFI Stg. 1...
      I think both are good mounts that you'd be happy with
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      1995 Saturn SW1
      10-25-2012 10:08 PM #75
      This is a fantastic thread.

I'm actually trying a new set of Febi OEM mounts all the way around. My mounts are currently original, broken, and have 220,000kms on them. I figure new mounts, even OEM should be night and day difference.

I have BFI stage II mounts in my 93 Jetta ABA-T, and it's pretty harsh. I don't mind that in my second car that's built to be quick, but I wouldn't want to daily a car with stiff mounts.
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      This thread is now about car cakes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Things I learned today: You don't have to pass grade 12 English to Manage a Honda dealership.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      10-25-2012 10:19 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by rains View Post
      This is a fantastic thread.

I'm actually trying a new set of Febi OEM mounts all the way around. My mounts are currently original, broken, and have 220,000kms on them. I figure new mounts, even OEM should be night and day difference.

I have BFI stage II mounts in my 93 Jetta ABA-T, and it's pretty harsh. I don't mind that in my second car that's built to be quick, but I wouldn't want to daily a car with stiff mounts.
      For stock comfort, nothing beats stock
      My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      1995 Saturn SW1
      10-25-2012 10:26 PM #77
      Exactly. Plus, I'm only running stage II software, and all supporting mods. That'd put me at what ... maybe 240ft-pd-tq?

I don't see that being _hugely_ detrimental to the longevity of Febi units. I could be wrong though ...
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      This thread is now about car cakes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Things I learned today: You don't have to pass grade 12 English to Manage a Honda dealership.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      10-25-2012 10:28 PM #78
      Just FYI, the Bfi stg 1's aren't bad at all... In case you wanna smooth up your other car.

I think on your dd , stock mounts plus poly dogbone insert is a good setup
      My Build

Vehicles
      '13 Jetta SE
      10-31-2012 06:36 PM #79
      I have had my DLI mounts in for over a month and have not really noticed any increase in vibration. I love them.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      03-30-2013 11:42 AM #80
      I'd like to add to the FAQ that the hockey puck idea seemed really good. so I tried it.

the hole I made was slightly bigger than 1.5"-- for an interference fit

got it pretty damn close

really psyched to try it out!
      3071/rods/ppt.. and still just a gti.

11. 04-04-2013 04:52 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by jstnGTI View Post
      I'd like to add to the FAQ that the hockey puck idea seemed really good. so I tried it.

the hole I made was slightly bigger than 1.5"-- for an interference fit

got it pretty damn close

really psyched to try it out!
      how did you get those bushings in there?
      '93 Nissan Sentra SE-R RIP
      '01 GTI Rave Green

12. 04-04-2013 09:19 AM #82
      I have had the hockey puck in mine for almost 2 years now, and still going strong

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI
      04-04-2013 01:58 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by kalamazoo View Post
      how did you get those bushings in there?
      Table vise. drill press. lube.

I just used a hole saw to cut the center out. 1.5" was too small to fit inside the bone without play.

the hole saw has a pilot bit, which gives you the center of your hole. I pressed the cut hockey puck in with a little lube and a vice, then used a smaller hole saw for the bolt sleeve and did my best to eyeball the center. unfortunately I only had two hockey pucks - the first one was cashed out because I used 1.5" at first - so when I drilled the center too small, I had to step up the hole.

after that I just forced the sleeve in with lube.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthmagic27 View Post
      I have had the hockey puck in mine for almost 2 years now, and still going strong
      pumped to hear this. was hesitant before I started, and my gut started churning halfway through. the finished product though made me feel better.

one question though, my sleeve is SLIGHTLY off center in there, was yours dead nuts?
      3071/rods/ppt.. and still just a gti.

Vehicles
      02 audi tt 225 / mk3 jetta /audi 5000s turbo
      04-04-2013 05:16 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by hithard02 View Post
      Anchor trans mount looks kind of crooked coming out of the box, filled with construction poly, like I have read on other forums the fill looks like it has tons of little air bubbles in it like a loaf of bread as it drys and should equal out to around 70A which seems good. After a day or two I'll clean up the mount around the sides and slap it on next weekend.
      I didn't realize that the PL adhesive came in a quart size so I had to buy a bigger caulking gun. So far I'm $50 deep in this new mount.

fti, I did this same thing on my oem audi tt mounts. They were SOOO stiff the whole car vibrated bad. it was unbearable. I then made my own BFI mount using 3m window weld and a mold I made. Even that was pretty stiff. I ended up buying the 034 street density and am really happy with them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123