Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1.8t Motor Mounts - FAQ

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      07-08-2012 05:48 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by hithard02 View Post
      Oh a little late for an A+ job! It looks like sh*t but we'll see if it helps and at a total of 50 for the mount and adhesive I'm not complaining.
      Not at all! Is that a new, OEM mount that you started with?
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      07-08-2012 09:24 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by hithard02 View Post
      Oh a little late for an A+ job! It looks like sh*t but we'll see if it helps and at a total of 50 for the mount and adhesive I'm not complaining.
      i don't think i could have done that any better myself
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

3. 07-08-2012 11:03 PM #53
      Those look awesome. And I believe the way to get rid of the bubbles would be through vibration.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      07-08-2012 11:46 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by warranty225cpe View Post
      Those look awesome. And I believe the way to get rid of the bubbles would be through vibration.
      This says to use a vaccuum

http://www.ehow.com/how_7527278_pour-urethane.html
      My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

5. 07-09-2012 12:02 AM #55
      Wouldn't using some sort of vibration while curing also work the air out? it seems much easier considering the messed up shape and etc of the mount.

Could be work trying.
      Canadian Immo 2 and 3 defeat service, PM for more information.
      Vag-Com Scanning available in London area, Hex+Can.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      07-09-2012 12:15 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by AmIdYfReAk View Post
      Wouldn't using some sort of vibration while curing also work the air out? it seems much easier considering the messed up shape and etc of the mount.

Could be work trying.
      Vibration is great for getting bubbles out. My girlfriend loves baking and she uses tapping and vibration to get bubbles out of cakes all the time.

However, I don't know how effective it'll be with something as viscous as polyurethane. As to the oddball shape, that's not really an issue because all you have to do is put it in a bag, pull a vacuum on the closed bag, and call it a day. Only trick is the vac pump.

Regardless, even without pulling a vacuum, I bet the solution the guy did with filling the mount will work great.

All this talk of removing bubbles is just a little detail for a truly perfect install.

Next time right? :-)
      My Build

7. 07-11-2012 10:18 PM #57
      Anyone know anything about working with Delrin? I'd like to see oem style filled with Delrin.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      07-11-2012 10:20 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by warranty225cpe View Post
      Anyone know anything about working with Delrin? I'd like to see oem style filled with Delrin.
      You don't pour delrin, you machine it
      My Build

9. 07-11-2012 10:54 PM #59
      Oh.., ok. Then is there anything else that we could inject into the cavity to give them the desired stiffness? Or maybe even use Delrin, but make them like puzzle pieces that you can snap into the cavity. It would be a matter of engineering them right, but it's likely possible.

Vehicles
      02 337. 08 F150
      07-11-2012 11:01 PM #60
      Bfi has delrin mounts.
      2.1L, 1000cc, Maestro, CompTurbo 5558, CTS, IE intake, Scat rods, more to come..

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      07-11-2012 11:26 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Three3Se7en View Post
      Bfi has delrin mounts.
      Exactly. Bfi and brewspeed are both delrin
      My Build

12. 07-31-2012 03:53 PM #62
      DLI Technik Observation:

Application: BT GLI daily driver
      Mileage since install: 50K+

Pros: Offer solid, secure feel to the front yet is able to dampen some vibration issues that a pure prothane mount cannot. No engine rocking whatsoever. No issues since the day I installed them. I can replace the bolts and rebuild the mounts if I wanted to (which I will).

Cons: Living in Florida and on the beach, the center and side bolts have noticeable surface rust.

Pics: Motor is beyond dirty.

Passenger Side Mount (Front View)

Passenger Side Mount (Back View)

Driver Side Mount (Front View)

Driver Side Mount (Back View)

My Build
      05 GLI | Uni 630 BT File | T3s60

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      07-31-2012 04:05 PM #63
      Very cool, nbkkb7x

Just a few thoughts for that surface rust.

Put some naval jelly on the rust, then wipe it off to get rid of the rust. Then shoot it with a quick spray of clear polyurethane. That should prevent the rust from returning. It would have been nice if they would have used fasteners that resisted rusting.

Perhaps some DLI users could chime in on the specs of the bolts that come with the mounts and we could figure out what bolts to substitute in that would meet spec plus not rust.
      My Build

14. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      Golf MK1, Polo 9N
      08-03-2012 09:15 AM #64
      I have just been looking at the spring mount installation. One thing that seems odd is that is is just a coil spring. Springs are linear and have no damping so you could get excessive movement, especialy on resonance which is why you have dampers on your road springs. Also some of the highest forces are horizontal due to torque reaction and I can't see how this acomodated in the mount. If it works it works, but I just can't see how.

Vehicles
      '86 BMW 528e, '01 VW Cabrio
      08-03-2012 09:24 AM #65
      Turns out my Density line mount is leaking fluid...just great!

16. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      Golf MK1, Polo 9N
      08-03-2012 09:31 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Dub-Nub View Post
      Turns out my Density line mount is leaking fluid...just great!
      If its leaking out of the diaphragm at the bottom then I would not worry, apart form the fact its glycol and will wreck your paint. If its leaking because the load bearing member has split thats a different story.

Vehicles
      '86 BMW 528e, '01 VW Cabrio
      08-03-2012 09:35 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Injection View Post
      If its leaking out of the diaphragm at the bottom then I would not worry, apart form the fact its glycol and will wreck your paint. If its leaking because the load bearing member has split thats a different story.
      The bushing itself is solid and does not move. The leaking is occuring from the bottom like you stated. I got most of the fluid out. I am trying to get in touch with DLI for their mounts becuase this is the second time the Density mounts have failed me. My engine is producing too much power for them

Vehicles
      02 1.8T JETTA (SOLD) & 00 TTQ (SOLD) '90 C2 964 (CURRENT)
      08-03-2012 10:19 AM #68
      The bushing itself is solid and does not move. The leaking is occuring from the bottom like you stated. I got most of the fluid out. I am trying to get in touch with DLI for their mounts becuase this is the second time the Density mounts have failed me. My engine is producing too much power for them
      that's not the case, the density line of mounts are mostly junk and have numerous failures posted on vortex

19. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      Golf MK1, Polo 9N
      08-03-2012 10:33 AM #69
      I am surprised they actualy have any fuid in them. As soon as you change the rubber compound the "tune" of the mount is changed and the damping element is useless. Its better not to have fluid in at all under these circumstances.

20. 08-03-2012 02:26 PM #70
      The street Density ones are fluid filled and will "deflate" if they leak.. The track density ones do have some fluid in the bottom but it is very minimal cause its more of a solid mount. My track density engine side mount is still going strong, but I blew through 2 sets of streets.

21. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      Golf MK1, Polo 9N
      08-03-2012 02:45 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by stealthmagic27 View Post
      The street Density ones are fluid filled and will "deflate" if they leak.. The track density ones do have some fluid in the bottom but it is very minimal cause its more of a solid mount. My track density engine side mount is still going strong, but I blew through 2 sets of streets.
      The fluid is not for supporting weight it is for damping. I think what you are seeing is the mounts "sag" due to permanent deflection in the rubber. That forces the fluid against the thin rubber seal at the botom eventualy splitting it.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      08-03-2012 04:45 PM #72
      Density line mounts suck. i've seen tons of failures on those things. many cars not even big turbos

Quote Originally Posted by 18T_BT View Post
      that's not the case, the density line of mounts are mostly junk and have numerous failures posted on vortex
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L, 2004 A6 3.0
      08-03-2012 05:25 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Injection View Post
      I have just been looking at the spring mount installation. One thing that seems odd is that is is just a coil spring. Springs are linear and have no damping so you could get excessive movement, especialy on resonance which is why you have dampers on your road springs. Also some of the highest forces are horizontal due to torque reaction and I can't see how this acomodated in the mount. If it works it works, but I just can't see how.
      Bump for answer, will need mounts soon, its either DLI Technik or BFI Stg. 1...
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ - Demokratikally Elekted Undersekretary of Peter Panhood of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Go get some real pizza, like at Costco.
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Finally, my existence has been validated.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      08-03-2012 05:59 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Bump for answer, will need mounts soon, its either DLI Technik or BFI Stg. 1...
      I think both are good mounts that you'd be happy with
      My Build

Vehicles
      1995 Saturn SW1
      10-25-2012 09:08 PM #75
      This is a fantastic thread.

I'm actually trying a new set of Febi OEM mounts all the way around. My mounts are currently original, broken, and have 220,000kms on them. I figure new mounts, even OEM should be night and day difference.

I have BFI stage II mounts in my 93 Jetta ABA-T, and it's pretty harsh. I don't mind that in my second car that's built to be quick, but I wouldn't want to daily a car with stiff mounts.
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      This thread is now about car cakes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Things I learned today: You don't have to pass grade 12 English to Manage a Honda dealership.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast