Going to do the TB too once I get another carbide burr. Probably goibg to gasket match the upper to lower manifold. Not going to touch the head yet. Maybe some day I'll build another motor...maybe.
Was a crazy week, not much accomplished. Got the drivers side polish finished (or would that be got the finish polished?! ). Started on the intake manifold. Pardon the cell phone pictures; it's just way easier than using my digital point and shoot or DSLR.
Last edited by jaystone; 08-27-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Got some new OEM sideskirts ordered thanks to Mr. Kellin @ Emich.
Also got some tie rod ends and some other misc bits ordered from AutohausAZ.
Also have the old sideskirts for sale.
Going to try and work on the intake manifold later this afternoon. Carbide burr and some abrasive flapper discs acquired last week.
Took it easy tonight, wetsanded the back and passenger side. Started polishing.
Anybody got an adjustable speed orbital polisher with some polishing (wool?) pads I might be able to borrow? The Porter Cable random orbital I have works OK, but takes a little too much time for my liking and doesn't cut quite as well as I need.
Got the trunk and passengers side polished tonight. Have a couple of places that need touching up, but overall the paint is at about 95% right now. Still need to do the hood, bumpers and roof.
Need to pick up the pace a bit and get the oilpan, wheels, and intake manifold done. Then onto the wiring I'm thinking. Going to try and get all the dirty cutting/grinding/welding/polishing/painting done while we've still got good weather!
Now I just need to pick a front bumper lip spoiler (either CL or SEAT Toledo) and get that on the way.
Just bump the price a few bucks to cover 'handling' and give me the actual shipping cost instead of some nice round number pulled straight out of nowhere. Or, tell me shipping is going to cost $39.84; which sounds infinitely more believable.
Yesterday I cut a couple of pieces of aluminum to fill the spark plug holes in the intake manifold, Going to try and weld them in tomorrow or Monday. New tie rod ends installed, found steering rack boots torn, need to try and locate some of those now. Did a little touchup on a couple chips in the paint (need to be more careful around the car I guess), will need to wetsand and polish again eventually.
I've got work tonight and tomorrow morning, will try to get some updated photos up when I've got something to show.
No photos tonight. Assembled the catch can to figure out how I'll end up plumbing it. Also started messing with the E codes. Going to need to fab up a couple simple brackets and trim the radiator support. Lastly got the oil pan off and started to cut the bung out to re-weld into the new pan. The bottom end of this motor looks really clean.
Just finished cleaning up the garage after welding the oil return fitting into the new oil pan. Going to try and powdercoat a bunch of stuff tomorrow. Realized I need an air filter, oil pressure/stoich/boost guage trifecta, hood struts, and other misc stuff. Like brakelines from the caliper to the hardline.
The devil is in the details. BTW...motor internals look good.