Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Resurrection of the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

Vehicles
      current: 08 mb c300 past: mk5 r32 b5 a4 b6 a4 avant
      09-14-2011 08:53 PM #126
      damn this is so clean! and by the way a few at the dealer are interested in seeing this when it's all done.

2. 09-14-2011 08:56 PM #127
      Trust me, it's got it's flaws; nowhere near a car like Robin's. It's getting there, and will be a good build when done for sure, but I'd consider it more of an ultra clean driver than full on show car.

I gave up on chemically stripping and sandblasting the D90's myself and dropped them off at Blast Tech today. I just don't have the hours and hours needed to finish stripping them down. I'll still powdercoat them myself. Effing Porsche used some kind of epoxy primer that WILL NOT come off with any aircraft stripper I've tried or the mediocre sand blaster I have access to.

After some initial success at the junkyards looking for parts, I've been coming up dry lately. Still need an UNFADED drivers side front door handle; really don't want to spring the $$$ for new, but might just have to (and then get to re-key it to match; not messing around with multiple keys for door/ignition/etc).
      Last edited by jaystone; 09-14-2011 at 09:00 PM.

3. 09-14-2011 09:54 PM #128
      Why must you bring me up of all people Jeff?

The trunk is about average for these cars.
      PVW 5/11 Held It Down

mk2 1.8t~mk3 vr6t~7p5 3.6exec

4. 09-14-2011 11:28 PM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by GTi2OV View Post
      Why must you bring me up of all people Jeff?

The trunk is about average for these cars.

gotta bring up the legend!

5. 09-16-2011 08:44 PM #130
      Powdercoated a few things today; boost plumbing, center caps, and oil pan. Got some aluminum cut up to finish the valve cover and intake manifold. Received the K&N filter and brake lines. Got some work to do; just hope I got the right brake lines!

Vehicles
      current: 08 mb c300 past: mk5 r32 b5 a4 b6 a4 avant
      09-16-2011 11:41 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      Powdercoated a few things today; boost plumbing, center caps, and oil pan. Got some aluminum cut up to finish the valve cover and intake manifold. Received the K&N filter and brake lines. Got some work to do; just hope I got the right brake lines!

did you powder coat this yourself or did you have a company do it? def interested in possibly doing this to my wheels.

7. 09-16-2011 11:52 PM #132
      Are those the ebay brake lines I told you about? How are they?
      PVW 5/11 Held It Down

mk2 1.8t~mk3 vr6t~7p5 3.6exec

Vehicles
      91 Geo Storm R Series, 88 Plymouth Horizon Hatch, Wagon Queen Family Truckster in metallic pea
      09-17-2011 02:16 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by audimuse View Post
      did you powder coat this yourself or did you have a company do it? def interested in possibly doing this to my wheels.
      This man in fact, does his own powdercoating...that's why it comes out sooo nice!
      ~I love thunder red!!!~

9. 09-17-2011 06:31 PM #134
      Quote Originally Posted by GTi2OV View Post
      Are those the ebay brake lines I told you about? How are they?
      Yep. They seem pretty good. I'm not sure if I can use them though, they use a banjo bolt and the one line I still have coming out of the drivers side caliper is straight out. Going to have to try and see if they will work.

I do powdercoat my own stuff, perk of being an adjunct professor and graduate from the Product Design program at MSCD. Unfortunately, I don't have the spare time to do something as big as a wheelset. Powder is about $15 per wheel, and stripping to metal is about $40 per wheel by Blast Tech. At that rate with all the running around, you're better off just having Woody's do it all.

Working on the intake manifold and some other stuff today. Photos later.
      Last edited by jaystone; 09-17-2011 at 08:34 PM.

10. 09-17-2011 08:31 PM #135
      As usual, sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures.

Oil pan is installed. Trunk is aligned better. Got the serpentine belt installed. For some reason the alternator pulley wasn't aligning up with the ribs from the tensioner, ended up machining 6.5mm off the back of the pulley to align the belt (have a spare pulley if it doesn't work out right).

I also put on the sideskirts after having to bend out the body seam under the rockers. Need to scrounge up some more screws/plastic nutserts to finish up.

The plate for the underside of the intake mani got fit today, going to weld it up tomorrow.

Lastly...popped the top on my latest batch of homebrew IPA. What can I say, I like to do things myself

Last edited by jaystone; 09-17-2011 at 08:35 PM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      91 Jetta GLi (gone), 01 Jetta (gone), 92 Corrado Vr6 (gone), 02 Mini Cooper S (gone), 01 A4 Avant
      09-18-2011 01:37 AM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      I wish there was a "Like" button on the vortex.

Vehicles
      91 Geo Storm R Series, 88 Plymouth Horizon Hatch, Wagon Queen Family Truckster in metallic pea
      09-18-2011 01:50 AM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by mi1z1985 View Post
      I wish there was a "Like" button on the vortex.
      ummmm....beer..and the mug looks frosty too...you deserve it brocef!
      ~I love thunder red!!!~

13. 09-18-2011 05:08 PM #138
      Intake all welded. Ready to cleanup and powdercoat.

14. 09-18-2011 08:20 PM #139
      Plug wires are still a bit thick under the manifold to the back 3 spark plugs, going to have to figure something out there.

Otherwise the plating of the valvecover really cleaned things up.

15. 09-19-2011 07:23 PM #140
      Wheels ready to powdercoat. Let's see if I end up with a roller this week.

16. 09-20-2011 10:42 PM #141
      Finished up the intake manifold today, welded in some recesses in the bottom to make clearing the spark plug wires better. Also added a little detail on the side near the oil filler where the throttle cable cutout in the valvecover didn't align with the edge on the manifold. Cell phone battery died, so no photos tonight.

Had to order more powder for powdercoating, don't have enough to do all the wheels. Going to try and use what powder i have left to finish the intake manifold/valve cover/last charge plumbing. The company I got the brake lines from is being super cool and sending me a pair of correct front lines. The boost, A/F, oil pressure gauges I'm trying to source aren't in stock anywhere. Going to keep looking.

Need to get a bubble flare tool so I can finish up the hard lines. Also need to start picking up the parts and supplies to do the wiring.

Lastly, and more of a reminder to myself in case I lose my list, I need to source the following miscellaneous parts;

drivers door handle
      passenger rear speaker grill
      trim screw for plastic windshield trim (passenger side far right)
      rubber seal around trunk key lock cylinder (between taillights and cylinder)
      rubber grommet into trunk lid that VW logo pops into
      front fender liner hardware (screws/plastic nutserts)
      sideskirt hardware to pinchweld (screws/plastic nutserts)
      hardware (scews?) for top edge of front bumper

17. 09-21-2011 09:36 PM #142
      Installed the 3 good door handles I've got with new rubber seals. Worked on some interior stuff. Thinking about yanking the headliner, this one is vintage 1995 gray with 16 years of dirt. Picked up wire, connectors, heat shrink, flare tool, bender, and battery terminals. Ordered a battery mount for the trunk. Hoping to powdercoat the manifold, valve cover, and misc boost tubes this weekend.

18. 09-22-2011 10:17 AM #143
      Awesome. I was reading your 2nd to last post and was going to say I have a flaring tool you can use then I saw you already purchased one.

19. 09-22-2011 02:24 PM #144
      Gonna use it and return it. Ghettofabulous.

20. 09-22-2011 06:49 PM #145
      Picked up a bunch of miscellaneous hardware at Metal Movers. Also got a door handle for free. Gotta see if a passenger side door handle will work on the drivers side; anybody know for sure?

Class tonight, double work day tomorrow. Hoping to get some stuff done this weekend.

21. 09-24-2011 01:38 PM #146
      After looking at the door handle, I saw the broken piece of my drivers handle was removable. The picture below shows the two handles, my repaired one on the bottom and the one I picked up this week disassembled on the top. very cool that it was an easy fix.

22. 09-24-2011 01:46 PM #147
      Valve cover and intake manifold ready to powdercoat. Detail work on the intake to valvecover alignment near the oil filler/throttle cable recess done. Had to do a bit of work on the valve cover and underside of the
      intake to not squish the plug wires. The insulation is a lot thicker than OEM wires.

Going to powdercoat today I hope.

23. 09-24-2011 02:55 PM #148
      Got a couple bumps and issues I need to address, but it's all coated. Wheels are the last thing now!

24. 09-24-2011 09:44 PM #149
      One step forward, two steps back. Decided to re-do the powdercoat on the manifold and valvecover. Manifold fell over in the oven. Maybe the third time is the charm. Done for the night. Booze:thirty now.

25. 09-25-2011 06:32 PM #150
      Extended the headlight harness. Rough idea where it'll go (no radiator in place yet). Re wrapped the harness as well. Need to secure it in place now.

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast