Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Resurrection of the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

1. 09-20-2011 11:42 PM #141
      Finished up the intake manifold today, welded in some recesses in the bottom to make clearing the spark plug wires better. Also added a little detail on the side near the oil filler where the throttle cable cutout in the valvecover didn't align with the edge on the manifold. Cell phone battery died, so no photos tonight.

Had to order more powder for powdercoating, don't have enough to do all the wheels. Going to try and use what powder i have left to finish the intake manifold/valve cover/last charge plumbing. The company I got the brake lines from is being super cool and sending me a pair of correct front lines. The boost, A/F, oil pressure gauges I'm trying to source aren't in stock anywhere. Going to keep looking.

Need to get a bubble flare tool so I can finish up the hard lines. Also need to start picking up the parts and supplies to do the wiring.

Lastly, and more of a reminder to myself in case I lose my list, I need to source the following miscellaneous parts;

drivers door handle
      passenger rear speaker grill
      trim screw for plastic windshield trim (passenger side far right)
      rubber seal around trunk key lock cylinder (between taillights and cylinder)
      rubber grommet into trunk lid that VW logo pops into
      front fender liner hardware (screws/plastic nutserts)
      sideskirt hardware to pinchweld (screws/plastic nutserts)
      hardware (scews?) for top edge of front bumper

2. 09-21-2011 10:36 PM #142
      Installed the 3 good door handles I've got with new rubber seals. Worked on some interior stuff. Thinking about yanking the headliner, this one is vintage 1995 gray with 16 years of dirt. Picked up wire, connectors, heat shrink, flare tool, bender, and battery terminals. Ordered a battery mount for the trunk. Hoping to powdercoat the manifold, valve cover, and misc boost tubes this weekend.

3. 09-22-2011 11:17 AM #143
      Awesome. I was reading your 2nd to last post and was going to say I have a flaring tool you can use then I saw you already purchased one.

4. 09-22-2011 03:24 PM #144
      Gonna use it and return it. Ghettofabulous.

5. 09-22-2011 07:49 PM #145
      Picked up a bunch of miscellaneous hardware at Metal Movers. Also got a door handle for free. Gotta see if a passenger side door handle will work on the drivers side; anybody know for sure?

Class tonight, double work day tomorrow. Hoping to get some stuff done this weekend.

6. 09-24-2011 02:38 PM #146
      After looking at the door handle, I saw the broken piece of my drivers handle was removable. The picture below shows the two handles, my repaired one on the bottom and the one I picked up this week disassembled on the top. very cool that it was an easy fix.

7. 09-24-2011 02:46 PM #147
      Valve cover and intake manifold ready to powdercoat. Detail work on the intake to valvecover alignment near the oil filler/throttle cable recess done. Had to do a bit of work on the valve cover and underside of the
      intake to not squish the plug wires. The insulation is a lot thicker than OEM wires.

Going to powdercoat today I hope.

8. 09-24-2011 03:55 PM #148
      Got a couple bumps and issues I need to address, but it's all coated. Wheels are the last thing now!

9. 09-24-2011 10:44 PM #149
      One step forward, two steps back. Decided to re-do the powdercoat on the manifold and valvecover. Manifold fell over in the oven. Maybe the third time is the charm. Done for the night. Booze:thirty now.

10. 09-25-2011 07:32 PM #150
      Extended the headlight harness. Rough idea where it'll go (no radiator in place yet). Re wrapped the harness as well. Need to secure it in place now.

Vehicles
      current: 08 mb c300 past: mk5 r32 b5 a4 b6 a4 avant
      09-27-2011 11:36 AM #151
      ^ delicious beer in the background.

12. 09-27-2011 12:56 PM #152
      Yessir. Sammy's are good!

Got the rest of the powdercoating powder yesterday. Got the correct brakelines yesterday. Got some replacement pyrex gas lenses for my TIG torch. Going to work on the wiring tonight after work.

09-27-2011 02:32 PM #153
      awesome

14. 09-27-2011 10:24 PM #154
      So this is what I'm working with. Need to identify what kind of connectors these are so I can get some new ones to extend the harness properly (first one is one connector, second and third are the front and back of the same connector). I think they are the male and female Weatherpack connectors, but not sure of the part number (if any?).

Also a shot of where I'm running the harness in the wheel well. After it gets wrapped, loomed, and wrapped again, they will get secured under the fender liner. The shot below is of the engine harness on the passenger side, the headlight harness is the same on the drivers side.

Lastly, got the manifold and valvecover cleaned off ready to sandblast and powdercoat again. Going to try and get those parts as well as the wheels done sometime this week. Need to refill my bottle of Argon shielding gas, and drop by the Bosch tool store to get a new battery for my 18v drill...tomorrow will be a lot of running around. Also need to pickup an 11mm flare nut wrench, brake fittings, and some other misc stuff to finish the rear brake lines (fronts are done)

Last edited by jaystone; 09-27-2011 at 10:52 PM.

15. 09-28-2011 09:38 PM #155
      Returned the double flare brake line tool I purchased...and got the correct BUBBLE flare tool. I wasn't paying attention when I picked it out. Also ordered a bunch of metric tube nuts to fab the lines, nobody carries the correct ones in stock (tried every FLAPS within 5 miles).

Guy I work with might be able to source some gauges and weatherpack connectors for me (used to work at PFI in Fort Collins)

16. 09-29-2011 10:07 AM #156
      Jay I have a whole kit of weatherpack connectors and pins you are welcome to them.

17. 09-29-2011 12:50 PM #157
      Awesome. I'll text you later.

18. 09-30-2011 04:19 PM #158
      It's almost like I had them for a similar project.

Vehicles
      83 Rabbit GTI, 02 GTI
      09-30-2011 04:49 PM #159
      Best build thread ever
      Wagen Wednesdays - Wednesday evenings at 7:00PM
      -----------------------------------
      Chad
      VWunion Club Founder
      VWunion.net - Colorado's Volkswagen Club

20. 09-30-2011 05:51 PM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaGLXdriver View Post
      It's almost like I had them for a similar project.
      Funny guy

21. 09-30-2011 05:56 PM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by VWunion Chad View Post
      Best build thread ever
      I've seen some epic builds...not sure how this compares; I try to keep it current though. Can't tell you how many build threads get neglected and are more of a tease than anything else.

22. 10-01-2011 12:15 AM #162
      Battery tray, weatherpack connectors, and other wiring stuff. Time to do work as Big Black would say.

Got both harnesses secured under the fender liners. Need to finish extending the connectors for the engine harness. Lighting harness is pretty close, might need to extend individual connectors. Still need to run some power for the cooling fans; also need to see if I can get the SDS EM4 to control them; pretty sure the one in this car doesn't have that 'option' (don't know if the ECU is different or if all I need to do is add a wire to the harness).

Benefit of being an electrician...don't have to purchase rolls of 3M super33+ electrical tape!

Vehicles
      1992 12V 1992 16V 2012 TDI
      10-01-2011 02:52 AM #163
      Wow dude!

I was going to say.... Swanks car!!!!

But after flipping through the thread, it is definitely your car.

Good luck on the Halloween goal!

24. 10-01-2011 12:23 PM #164
      Swank started it...I'm going to finish it!

25. 10-01-2011 04:32 PM #165
      battery tray powdercoated. going to try to get it in today.

26. 10-01-2011 06:02 PM #166
      All you need to control the fans is the factory thermoswitch on the radiator. Cake, make up your own fused harness.
      PVW 5/11 Held It Down

27. 10-01-2011 08:08 PM #167
      Gonna have to look into that. Thanks for the tip.

Wiring is going slow, kind of tedious. Got the MAP sensor wiring done and mounted. Got the water temp sensor wiring done. Still need to do the coil pack and fuel injectors. Also need to try and find a Bosch air temp sensor; didn't look like one was run before.

Opened up the SDS ECU to see if adding the fan controller would be something as simple as a jumper and a pin out wire. Need to get in touch with SDS and see.

28. 10-01-2011 08:12 PM #168
      Forgot to ask if anybody has a nutsert tool I could use. Where I'd like to mount the battery tray in the trunk doesn't have the back side accessible to nut and bolt; and I don't think machine screws are good for something as heavy as a battery.

29. 10-01-2011 08:14 PM #169
      whos going to tune it?

i would just run the fan from the therm sensor like Robin said.
      i take it your running slims right? not factory setup with the relays and such.

looking good btw.
      T I N T E K S The Art Of Window Tinting
      Custom Window Tinting & PPF Installations

Facebook

30. 10-01-2011 08:21 PM #170
      Mike had it pretty much dialed in prior to disassembly. I'm anticipating some fine tuning will be needed due to the intake manifold work, but overall it should be close. I'm going to try and get in touch with Brenden Rudack of Apikol fame to see if he can help out. He does a lot of 034 EFI stuff, so this should be a cake walk if he's available.

Just going to run slims, so no need for factory relays and dual speed stuff. Simple on/off will suffice.

31. 10-02-2011 07:36 PM #171
      Emailed SDS about the fan control relay from the ECU; just need to add a wire to the harness and I will have adjustable on/off switch points based off water temp from the thermostat housing. Might run that or might just run factory thermoswitch.

Traded the Depo smoked long turns for a set of OEM fogs and turns. Need to get glass for the fogs. Turns and dummies were painted black, so I wetsanded and polished them. Disassembled the fogs, cleaned them, and then painted the inside flat black.

Gotta get with Dan to try and maybe wrap these with smoked vinyl wrap.

Vehicles
      91 Geo Storm R Series, 88 Plymouth Horizon Hatch, Wagon Queen Family Truckster in metallic pea
      10-03-2011 04:42 PM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      Forgot to ask if anybody has a nutsert tool I could use. Where I'd like to mount the battery tray in the trunk doesn't have the back side accessible to nut and bolt; and I don't think machine screws are good for something as heavy as a battery.
      I've got a nutsert tool somewhere...let me take a look in that mess of a storage unit
      ~I love thunder red!!!~

Vehicles
      None that run.
      10-03-2011 05:37 PM #173
      I picked up a nutsert at harbor freight for under 15.00 a while back. Ill see if I stll have it.
      www.pusherbmx.com The only rider owned BMX shop in Colorado. Check us out.

34. 10-03-2011 05:53 PM #174
      Either of you guys, let me know. If you could take a peak and see if you've got any decent fog glass too, that would be epic!

35. 10-03-2011 06:09 PM #175
      Reading through this I see you already answered the fan question. You have two adjustable fan temp settings in the SDS. You could potentially run one fan at one temp then kick the 2nd on at higher temp. I do think they are only rated to run a relay though.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast